Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Walden and Cherilus, can they be traded?

Cribbsfaircatch

Well compared to what? I don't even think he's substantially better than Werner. With Mathis and Newsome, and a possible rookie, he needs to go.

Neither Newsome nor Mathis can provide what Walden does in the run game.  He does NOT need to go at this point in time.

Well compared to what? I don't even think he's substantially better than Werner. With Mathis and Newsome, and a possible rookie, he needs to go.

We clearly aren't watching the same Walden, He sets the edge nicely, and provides more than adequate QB pressure. 

His play vs the run is so overrated. He can easily be replaced.

Ok then replace him.  But you're not going to replace him with Newsome or Mathis.  Find someone better that can set the edge and provide a pass rush and I'm all for it.  Until then, we can't rely on Werner to be the only OLB that can play the run.

Not familiar with who Brad Wells is aside from when this forum is slandering him lol

So didn't really get the reference you just made lol

What you pointed out was essentially something that Brad Wells would do. Contradict himself in an attempt to make an argument. You weren't the Brad Wells in the conversation. Not knowing of him makes you a better person.

What you pointed out was essentially something that Brad Wells would do. Contradict himself in an attempt to make an argument. You weren't the Brad Wells in the conversation. Not knowing of him makes you a better person.

:lol:

Thanks. I had to go check twitter. I followed a Mike Wells earlier today so when FA kicks off I get scoops from him and Kevin & Stephen Holder. Is Mike related to Brad?

Anyone can be traded, technically, unless they have a no trade clause in their contract (which is rare).

I don't think either player has any real trade market. 

If we traded Walden, we'd have a cap penalty in 2015 of $500K, and would save $3.75m against the 2015 cap.

If we traded Cherilus prior to June 1, we'd have a cap penalty in 2015 of $8.7m, and would lose $1.8m against the 2015 cap. If we traded him after June 1, we'd have a cap penalty in 2015 of $2.9m, and a cap penalty in 2016 of $5.8m, and would save $4m against the 2015 cap and $4.1m against the 2016 cap. (Same numbers as if we released him. Except we can release him now with a post-June 1 designation.)

Long story short, I don't think either of those players gets traded.

Anyone can be traded, technically, unless they have a no trade clause in their contract (which is rare).

I don't think either player has any real trade market. 

If we traded Walden, we'd have a cap penalty in 2015 of $500K, and would save $3.75m against the 2015 cap.

If we traded Cherilus prior to June 1, we'd have a cap penalty in 2015 of $8.7m, and would lose $1.8m against the 2015 cap. If we traded him after June 1, we'd have a cap penalty in 2015 of $2.9m, and a cap penalty in 2016 of $5.8m, and would save $4m against the 2015 cap and $4.1m against the 2016 cap. (Same numbers as if we released him. Except we can release him now with a post-June 1 designation.)

Long story short, I don't think either of those players gets traded.

Way to go...ruin the opportunity for a meaningless argument over something that is not going to happen.

:lol:

Thanks. I had to go check twitter. I followed a Mike Wells earlier today so when FA kicks off I get scoops from him and Kevin & Stephen Holder. Is Mike related to Brad?

No relation. Mike is the Colts reporter for ESPN, I think he does a good job of reporting trades and signings. I like Stephen Holder and George Bremer. Those are good follows especially since you aren't in Indiana like myself.

I never understood my we made Cherilus the highest paid RT in nfl,, and now im not surprised they wanna get rid of him,, Walden in ok but if we can get something for him id be good, that would just make more room for Brooks Reed!!

I don't believe it's been accepted as fact that the Colts want to get rid of Cherilous.   The might.    Maybe.

But is there any proof that they do?     Has their been a story suggesting this?

If so,  please link,  I'd like to see it.

The only fact is that many Colts fans want to cut him.   Not a big surprise, as fans are typically neither informed nor patient.

I was never really down on Walden but my support for him went way up when I watched him routinely bull rush Joe Thomas. His weakness are in man coverage and against the zone read but he really does his job in our scheme as an edge setter and he does push the pocket from time to time. His contract doesnt put us in any binds either.

As for Gosdar, im wary of his health but i'm in no hurry to give him the axe unless there is a significant upgrade to be had. There doesnt seem to be many available at the moment so I dont think management is looking to make a move. His replacement will need to be found soon though.

I may be in the minority but I dont think the O-line is priority #1 for Grigs right now. He has a good chunk of money and draft picks invested in the line. Quality depth may be the bigger concern as opposed to replacing what we have. Health and natural progression will go a long way for the group. Im optimistic about Thornton, more than others it seems.

How does this work? Can they somehow be rid of? Never liked either

Why don't you like Walden? He had like 7 or 8 sacks this year from the strong side and played the run well. He had a great season and his contract is comparatively low. Gosder is a health risk, I can kind of understand that.

He had 6 sacks, 5 against Bum teams. I`m sure you can attribute several to our tight coverage and lame QB's.
 He was ok against the run. Gives us very little in space.
 37 tackles for a season is not very good.
 The guy places very hard. Gotta love that. He is more of a decent, rotational, depth guy.
 Hopefully Cam Johnson comes back healthy. He was set for a solid season.

Why don't you like Walden? He had like 7 or 8 sacks this year from the strong side and played the run well. He had a great season and his contract is comparatively low. Gosder is a health risk, I can kind of understand that.