Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chud Named Associate Head Coach

IndyD4U

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This means several things for Chud:

• If any team wants to talk with him it has to be for a HC position, else he would be taking a step back.
  • If something were to happen to Pagano, Chud would take over in his place.
  • In colleges, at least, the Associate HC is responsible for take care of a particular side of the ball that is not the HC's strong suit.  So with Pagano, offense is not his strong suit so Chud will probably be working there.  The HC gives the direction (ie balanced, strong running, short passing game.. whatever) and it's up to the Assoc HC to develop the training, workout, drills, etc and to work with the coordinators and position coaches to make that happen.

Lets give Andrew Luck to Bill Obrien, Ken Whisenhunt, or even Gus Bradley and then lets see how good of a coach Pagano is. He's horrible.

give Pagano JJ Wyatt, or the Seahawks defense and see what he can do with the defense...

As for Whisenhunt Pagano already has one less playoff win than him in three years coaching compared to Whisenhunt's seven years as a head coach and Pagano's 11 wins is more than any year Whisenhunt had as a head coach, including the years he had a possible hall of fame QB in Kurt Warner.

this is the Colts way of saying: "We really like you and don't want you to go to another team, so here's a pay increase and title promotion"

That's precisely how I read the tea leaves too PB. 

Fancy way of keeping him on board with a title, pay raise, and keeps other teams from stealing him as a coordinator since assoc. head coach is a step up from that. Probably also means that if Chuck is absent for any reason that he takes over.

Bingo, TAC nailed it! 

Bruce Arians is in Arizona.

Chuck Pagano is in Indianapolis.

That's not changing in the near future.

Get over it.

If you think Arians is better -- fine.    Many do.

But that doesn't make Pagano bad.

If you can't see how good a coach Pagano is, then I don't know what to tell you....

Good luck.

Beautifully stated NCF. Darn, you're good.  :D

give Pagano JJ Wyatt, or the Seahawks defense and see what he can do with the defense...

As for Whisenhunt Pagano already has one less playoff win than him in three years coaching compared to Whisenhunt's seven years as a head coach and Pagano's 11 wins is more than any year Whisenhunt had as a head coach, including the years he had a possible hall of fame QB in Kurt Warner.

You do realize as a defensive coach its Pagano's fault the defense is not a top defense, right? Im sure he has say in every defensive player drafted or signed. And where did the Texans finish with JJ Watt? This is a qb driven league. If Tenn, Jack or Hou was lucky to draft a good qb like Pagano, Kubiak and Del Rio would still be head coaches in the afc south.

In the nfl, you either have a good qb or u lose. Even Sea wasn't what they are until Russell Wilson came along. Whisenhunt didnt have a top qb and play in a bad division like Pagano either.

You do realize as a defensive coach its Pagano's fault the defense is not a top defense, right? Im sure he has say in every defensive player drafted or signed. And where did the Texans finish with JJ Watt? This is a qb driven league. If Tenn, Jack or Hou was lucky to draft a good qb like Pagano, Kubiak and Del Rio would still be head coaches in the afc south.

In the nfl, you either have a good qb or u lose. Even Sea wasn't what they are until Russell Wilson came along. Whisenhunt didnt have a top qb and play in a bad division like Pagano either.

his defense can only be as good as the talent he has. They just played a full season without their best player on defense and still put up a decent defense. Not bad. I don't think I am going out on a limb here to say the Seahawks have more talent in their defense or thst JJ Wyatt is better than any front seven guy the Colts had healthy this season. He can't just snap his fingers and make guys more talented. So spare me its Pagano's fault that the defense isn't a top defense because Pagsno is a defesive coach. That alone doesn't autmatically make your defesive players more talented. Most of Grigson's misses both in the draft and free agency have come on that side of the ball and shows up in the defenses overall performance.

You here and go oh well if these coaches had a more talented QB like Luck then they would be grest, and then go well Pagano's a defesive coach it's his fault the defense isn't better. These coaches you listed, other then Bradley, are offensive coaches so using your logic isn't it their fault their QB isn't.better? That or is their QB just not talented enough? If it's the later then the same can be said about Pagano and the defense. Again, if you don't have the talent it doesn't matter how good of a coach you are you can only do as much as the talent you have.

You want to try again about the NFC West not being a bad divison under Whisenhunt? While he was there he won it with a 9-7 and 10-6 record. Also, while he was there the Seahawks won it going 7-9 one season. It wasn't until his last year there that the NFC west produced more than one team with a winning record. It was the worst divison in football most of the time he was there.

his defense can only be as good as the talent he has. They just played a full season without their best player on defense and still put up a decent defense. Not bad. I don't think I am going out on a limb here to say the Seahawks have more talent in their defense or thst JJ Wyatt is better than any front seven guy the Colts had healthy this season. He can't just snap his fingers and make guys more talented. So spare me its Pagano's fault that the defense isn't a top defense because Pagsno is a defesive coach. That alone doesn't autmatically make your defesive players more talented. Most of Grigson's misses both in the draft and free agency have come on that side of the ball and shows up in the defenses overall performance.

You here and go oh well if these coaches had a more talented QB like Luck then they would be grest, and then go well Pagano's a defesive coach it's his fault the defense isn't better. These coaches you listed, other then Bradley, are offensive coaches so using your logic isn't it their fault their QB isn't.better? That or is their QB just not talented enough? If it's the later then the same can be said about Pagano and the defense. Again, if you don't have the talent it doesn't matter how good of a coach you are you can only do as much as the talent you have.

You want to try again about the NFC West not being a bad divison under Whisenhunt? While he was there he won it with a 9-7 and 10-6 record. Also, while he was there the Seahawks won it going 7-9 one season. It wasn't until his last year there that the NFC west produced more than one team with a winning record. It was the worst divison in football most of the time he was there.

If u need me to explain to you how hard it is to find a quality quaterback, then you haven't been paying attention to the nfl. When you luck(no pun) up on a top 10qb(potentially a top 5) qb, you are lucky. Those guys don't lose much. If you can't see that, I dont know what to tell u. QB is the most difficult position in pro sports. You can be a genius OC and it wouldn't matter if the guy behind center us subpar.

The coaches I named are a qb away from being a playoff team.

When you hire a defensive coordinator, you expect your defense to at least be top 10. He's had 3yrs to at least build a defense that can stop the run consistently, he can't even do that.

The Giants won the nfc east w/ a 9-7 record. Sometimes numbers lie. Those nfc west teams were always solid. The Rams had down yrs, but the Cards, Niners, and Seahawks have been pretty good.

My point about the afc west remains, give Luck to any of the other coaches in the division, and wherever Luck goes, his team has a winning record and are division champs.

When you hire a defensive coordinator, you expect your defense to at least be top 10. He's had 3yrs to at least build a defense that can stop the run consistently, he can't even do that.

If you expected Pagano to turn a bottom ranked 4-3 Tampa 2 zone defense into a 3-4 hybrid press-man top 10 defense in under 3 years, which was really only 2 years because they weren't able to really do anything personnel wise on defense that first off-season due to the salary cap hell that Grigson acquired, then your expectations were wildly unrealistic.

Also, the defense has struggled the most in games where the offense has struggled.  When the offense can't sustain drives, the defense is on the field too much and they (especially the front 7) become less effective. 

There are 15 teams who currently have some sort of assistant head coach. Most of them have a specified duty alongside that, but nonetheless, they are assistant head coaches. Assistant/Associate is just a title...they mean the same thing. That staff is responsible for taking duties from/supplementing the HC.

Here's the link:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_National_Football_League_staffs#Buffalo_Bills

By your logic, 15 franchises have negative "spins" on their current staff.

You have a point about the value and frequency of asst head coaches but my contention is that Pagano didnt have an assistant head coach for 3 years so why does he need one now? What has changed?

I don't know if Chuck is quite out of the woods yet with his leukemia.  I know it is in remission and he probably is still on maintenance therapy,  Males usually get around 2.5 years of maintenance therapy.  I know my then 6 year old son's ALL leukemia relapsed 3 years out from his initial diagnosis in his central nervous system when he was almost done with his mainteance therapy.  Did another year of hardcore chemo and radiation and began another year of maintenance chemo. My now 8 year old son relapsed 3 months ago in his marrow and CNS.  We arrived in Seattle from Nashville on Dec 31st for his double cord blood transplant and begin his conditioning tomorrow with a 1 week round of total body irradiation and chemo. 

I only gave you the history above to note my personal experience with the cancer Pags had (in remission now) and the possibility the Colts made Chud assistant coach until Chuck is pretty much totally out of the woods at the 5 year mark which is considered the GOLD milestone for ALL leukemia.

You have a point about the value and frequency of asst head coaches but my contention is that Pagano didnt have an assistant head coach for 3 years so why does he need one now? What has changed?

Chud was his assistant coach this year (2014). Basically he didn't have one in 2012 and 13. It pretty simple to me: he realized he wanted more support as he experienced being a head coach (the Ravens have an assistant so would be a familiar model to him); had a really good relationship with Chud; Chud was available; he hired Chud. I think you are reading too much into this. 

Bruce Arians is in Arizona.

Chuck Pagano is in Indianapolis.

That's not changing in the near future.

Get over it.

If you think Arians is better -- fine.    Many do.

But that doesn't make Pagano bad.

If you can't see how good a coach Pagano is, then I don't know what to tell you....

Good luck.

Arians is a solid NFL Head Coach.

Pagano is a marginal Head Coach tending towards incompetent at the NFL HC level.

I don't know if Chuck is quite out of the woods yet with his leukemia.  I know it is in remission and he probably is still on maintenance therapy,  Males usually get around 2.5 years of maintenance therapy.  I know my then 6 year old son's ALL leukemia relapsed 3 years out from his initial diagnosis in his central nervous system when he was almost done with his mainteance therapy.  Did another year of hardcore chemo and radiation and began another year of maintenance chemo. My now 8 year old son relapsed 3 months ago in his marrow and CNS.  We arrived in Seattle from Nashville on Dec 31st for his double cord blood transplant and begin his conditioning tomorrow with a 1 week round of total body irradiation and chemo. 

I only gave you the history above to note my personal experience with the cancer Pags had (in remission now) and the possibility the Colts made Chud assistant coach until Chuck is pretty much totally out of the woods at the 5 year mark which is considered the GOLD milestone for ALL leukemia.

You could be correct bigt. Promoting Chad might be a safety net move if God forbid Pagano's cancer relapsed. My condolences to your son & the rest of your family who have endured a heart wrenching Leukemia ordeal as well. Good luck bigt. God bless.  

I don't know how to say this other than to say,  an incompetent coach would not have us winning 11 games a year his first three years.

2-2 for Pagano in 2012 then Arians & the long bomb took over ..  Average in 2012 & I would point out for a former defensive coordinator his defense is barely competent like Dungy before him , This Colts fan is getting tired of the same O same O on D ...

Andrew Luck is the reason were 11-5 not our HC IMO its inspite of his lack of a Monster Defense  that we were promised ..

2-2 for Pagano in 2012 then Arians & the long bomb took over ..  Average in 2012 & I would point out for a former defensive coordinator his defense is barely competent like Dungy before him , This Colts fan is getting tired of the same O same O on D ...

Andrew Luck is the reason were 11-5 not our HC IMO its inspite of his lack of a Monster Defense  that we were promised ..

There's no reason to believe that what happened in 2011 wouldn't have happened if Pagano had not gotten sick.

Arians still would've called the plays.    And Pagano has won without Arians for the last two years.

And here's what shows just how much you HATE Pagano and don't understand football.

You called Pagano's work in 2012 average.     AVERAGE!!

-- A win over the eventual SB Champs, Seattle.

-- A win over the eventual SB opponent, Denver

-- A win over the SB Caliber opponent, San Francisco

-- A win over the playoff Caliber opponent, Kansas City -- twice!

And you call that "average"    Only a hater who doesn't understand football calls that average.

Three years in,  do you think this defense has much real talent beyond Vonte Davis and Robert Mathis?    Everyone else is pretty much some kind of average.    Grigson is building the O before the D.    And you wonder why our defense isn't better.

Haters hate.    And that's what your post reveals.