Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Polian liked RG3 over Luck

B~Town

I could swear I heard or read something to the effect that Polian wanted to keep Manning and trade the #1 pick.

There were and still are a lot of people who thought that was a good idea. The Colts could have had an even bigger haul for Luck than St. Louis got for RG3 and still could have drafted a very good QB to develop (Tannehill or any number of other suspects). At least we might have put together an offensive line to protect a QB with that kind of strategy. I am not a fan of drafting a franchise QB and getting the hell beat out of him because he has no protection. We are all very fortunate that it isn't Luck with these injuries instead of RG3. He is still very vulnerable to that and I think that has a lot to do with him not improving as much from year one until now as some of us had hoped. I think Luck is very little different right now than he was when he first came into the NFL. He should have progressed a lot. I just don't see that and I am certainly in his corner as a fan. I really dread those two games with Houston this year and what they might bring.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

for all the great things polain did for the colts, he also handicapped us. not fixing the defense, over paying average players like hayden, brackett, and addai, and placing the entire team on one player. 

What is different from then and now? We still place the entire team on one player. How many games do you think this team would win if Andrew Luck went down for the season? I put the over/under at about four wins.

I remember Polian saying that there were three "can't miss" prospects in that draft...Luck, Griffin....and wait....Richardson.   

He advised Irsay that he could pick either Luck or Griffin and that the Colts would be set.  He said that Irsay told him to take Luck over Griffin because Irsay had potential injury concerns with Griffin's more slight build.

There were and still are a lot of people who thought that was a good idea. The Colts could have had an even bigger haul for Luck than St. Louis got for RG3 and still could have drafted a very good QB to develop (Tannehill or any number of other suspects). At least we might have put together an offensive line to protect a QB with that kind of strategy. I am not a fan of drafting a franchise QB and getting the hell beat out of him because he has no protection. We are all very fortunate that it isn't Luck with these injuries instead of RG3. He is still very vulnerable to that and I think that has a lot to do with him not improving as much from year one until now as some of us had hoped. I think Luck is very little different right now than he was when he first came into the NFL. He should have progressed a lot. I just don't see that and I am certainly in his corner as a fan. I really dread those two games with Houston this year and what they might bring.

His completion percentage went up and he cut his INTs in half from year 1 to year 2 and you don't consider that improvement? Not sure what more you want going from rookie year to year 2 from a QB who is thrown to the wolves playing behind one of the worst O-lines in football. Tough crowd.

What is different from then and now? We still place the entire team on one player. How many games do you think this team would win if Andrew Luck went down for the season? I put the over/under at about four wins.

Our offense is stacked with talent really..... And our defense isn't near as bad as some posters like to think here... I see us going around 7-9 or 8-8 with no Luck. 6-10 is the worst I could see us doing. 

His completion percentage went up and he cut his INTs in half from year 1 to year 2 and you don't consider that improvement? Not sure what more you want going from rookie year to year 2 from a QB who is thrown to the wolves playing behind one of the worst O-lines in football. Tough crowd.

He did that with a different offensive coordinator. Pep's system doesn't look for the big play down field as much as Ariens did. That cut down on the INTs but they showed up again in the playoffs. So, no, I haven't seen much improvement. My post was all about the fact that they should have had an offensive line in place for him instead of drafting two TEs and different players.

we have much better skill players and hasslebeck is a capable QB that could win us games. it wouldnt be 2011 all over again

we have much better skill players and hasslebeck is a capable QB that could win us games. it wouldnt be 2011 all over again

The skill players weren't that bad in 2011. I agree that Hasslebeck is capable. That is why I said four wins. If Andrew Luck is only worth three or four more wins than Hasslebeck then he isn't all we make him out to be.

He did that with a different offensive coordinator. Pep's system doesn't look for the big play down field as much as Ariens did. That cut down on the INTs but they showed up again in the playoffs. So, no, I haven't seen much improvement. My post was all about the fact that they should have had an offensive line in place for him instead of drafting two TEs and different players.

So you are going to give Luck zero credit and simply say it is all Pep's influence? A "system" doesn't make a QB throw bad passes. The decision whether to throw or not still rests with the QB. I agree Arians as OC was much more aggressive in downfield passing than Hamilton, but many of Luck's INTs in year 1 were just dumb throws where he was trying to force the ball to a receiver who wasn't open. He was much better with that in year 2 whether you want to give him credit for it or not. He still made mistakes, but it was only his second season. Expecting him to have Manning-level QB play entering only his third season is outright unrealistic.   

So you are going to give Luck zero credit and simply say it is all Pep's influence? A "system" doesn't make a QB throw bad passes. The decision whether to throw or not still rests with the QB. I agree Arians as OC was much more aggressive in downfield passing than Hamilton, but many of Luck's INTs in year 1 were just dumb throws where he was trying to force the ball to a receiver who wasn't open. He was much better with that in year 2 whether you want to give him credit for it or not. He still made mistakes, but it was only his second season. Expecting him to have Manning-level QB play entering only his third season is outright unrealistic.   

Who said anything about Manning level? That QB rating is what it is. Hasn't he thrown for 8 INTs in his last three "real" games? That doesn't sound like he is improving a lot from year one to me. Perhaps I do expect too much from him. Let's see how he does this week.

Who said anything about Manning level? That QB rating is what it is. Hasn't he thrown for 8 INTs in his last three "real" games? That doesn't sound like he is improving a lot from year one to me. Perhaps I do expect too much from him. Let's see how he does this week.

I said Manning-level because I don't know what you are expecting/wanting to see. He looks the best out of all of the 3rd year QBs to me -- Wilson is simply not asked to do enough for me to say he is better than Luck, not to mention he has an elite defense to back him up. None of the others are even worth mentioning at this point. He *has* thrown a lot of INTs in his last three games going back to last season, but Luck today is much better than 2012 Luck in his second game. He still has plenty of room to improve, especially in the playoffs. On that we can agree.

I said Manning-level because I don't know what you are expecting/wanting to see. He looks the best out of all of the 3rd year QBs to me -- Wilson is simply not asked to do enough for me to say he is better than Luck, not to mention he has an elite defense to back him up. None of the others are even worth mentioning at this point. He *has* thrown a lot of INTs in his last three games going back to last season, but Luck today is much better than 2012 Luck in his second game. He still has plenty of room to improve, especially in the playoffs. On that we can agree.

I am not saying Wilson is better than Luck either. But, I just do not see this big improvement that you see. I see the QB who still throws behind receivers on a regular basis. I still see a QB who doesn't check down to his alternate receivers quickly enough to help out his protection. I will say that he doesn't seem to throw long balls that float at the end like he did as a rookie. I just don't think the tries that many of those passes any more and perhaps he shouldn't.

polian this is why you still havent gotten another GM job

Irsay paid him enough money he really don't have to work at all. He may not be as greatly thought of as you might think. The NFL changed while Polian refused to change with it. He had no communication skill when it came to the media and that is almost a given now for a GM. I find it ironic he now does a job he loathed as a GM.

Really glad Irsay made the move for Grigs and he picked Luck...

I'd bet Irsay started his interview with Grigson by saying "We're drafting Andrew Luck" and then went on with the rest of the interview.   I'll give Grigson credit for the rest of the 2012 draft, but the Luck pick was a done deal before Grigson was even interviewed, IMHO.

I'd bet Irsay started his interview with Grigson by saying "We're drafting Andrew Luck" and then went on with the rest of the interview.   I'll give Grigson credit for the rest of the 2012 draft, but the Luck pick was a done deal before Grigson was even interviewed, IMHO.

I would not be surprised if you are right about Irsay there at all . Who has the final say owner or GM ? I've read a lot about the cowboys owner mad they didn't pick Manziel when he wanted them too.

I would not be surprised if you are right about Irsay there at all . Who has the final say owner or GM ? I've read a lot about the cowboys owner mad they didn't pick Manziel when he wanted them too.

Jerry Jones is owner and GM of the Cowboys, his son talked him out of drafting Manziel since they had literally just signed Romo to a huge extension, and drafting a QB like that would completely undercut him. Jones regrets what he decided not to do, though in the end, it was the better choice.

Jerry Jones is owner and GM of the Cowboys, his son talked him out of drafting Manziel since they had literally just signed Romo to a huge extension, and drafting a QB like that would completely undercut him. Jones regrets what he decided not to do, though in the end, it was the better choice.

can you imagine the hate the cowboys would get compared to the hate they already get now if that happened

Luck is handicapped at this point.  He has no running game or offensive line worth talking about yet.  He does have some very good weapons, and I see him improving even more this year.  Can you imagine Luck on the Seahawks with that running game and defense?  Luck is smart and he wouldn't be forcing things in Seattle.  Wilson is very good, but I do believe Luck is the better overall QB.  I watched Luck at Stanford and there was never a question in my mind that I was hoping the Colts drafted him over RGIII.

Could you imagine if we had drafted RG3 and not Luck . Polian called RG3 a can't miss once in a life time QB guaranteed to take you to the promise land .

Really glad Irsay made the move for Grigs and he picked Luck with as many hits as Luck takes behind our O Line RG3's career would have been very short in Indy . I'll say we as fans have been blessed to have Manning and Luck as our QB's in recent history .

That story has changed..I heard that Polian and and Grigson and Irsay all wanted Luck...

I was hoping they would cause Johhny isn't good and would help the Cowboys suck further into the future :D

Apparently, Jerry had his name written on the draft card and was on his way to turn it in, when his son basically sat him down and had a heated exchange that ultimately changed the elder Jones's mind. Yeah, it was that close.

69 posts so far as I'm writing this and still no one can link the story.

When I key in Bill Polian into the search window of NFL.com  there is no story about Polian prefering RG3 to Luck.

If someone is going to start a thread like this would you PLEASE post a link.    It simply isn't that hard to do.

Otherwise,  give it a rest.    I don't believe for a minute that Polian preferred RG3 to Luck.

This is old and very, very tired.......

This is an irresponsible post. As just stated where is this quote of his. A matter of fact, I heard him on the radio before the draft and he was gushing about how great he thought RG3 could be. At the end the interviewer asked him if he would take him over Luck and he said no. He said Lucks intelligence made is potential unlimited. 

RG3 as a rookie did more than I've seen Luck do in 3yrs. Its getting to the point where he's losing these close gms and u have to ask, what exactly is so special about Luck? Its something off about him

By the same token Luck did more in the Denver, or either KC game last year than Griffin has done in three years. If you can't see why he will be great I can't help you.

By the same token Luck did more in the Denver, or either KC game last year than Griffin has done in three years. If you can't see why he will be great I can't help you.

He threw 3 ints vs kc. 3. And which Demver gm are u talking about? Mathis was a beast vs den last yr. This yr, I was not impressed with Luck and he threw 2ints vs den. I see potential. At times he makes an incredible throw, at tines he makes a greay run, but on a consistent basis, Im not seeing it. Just flashes

Could you imagine if we had drafted RG3 and not Luck . Polian called RG3 a can't miss once in a life time QB guaranteed to take you to the promise land .

Really glad Irsay made the move for Grigs and he picked Luck with as many hits as Luck takes behind our O Line RG3's career would have been very short in Indy . I'll say we as fans have been blessed to have Manning and Luck as our QB's in recent history .

Bill Polian has had a major case of sour grapes with the Colts ever since Jim told him to kick rocks. I don't care in the least what any Polian has to say. When he comes on ESPN TV/Radio, I change the channel. 

Also, never forget that it was nepotism Bill and Son who ran off Tom Moore, Howard Mudd, and pretty much all of our trainers and scouts. I wish we still had all of those people.

RG3 as a rookie did more than I've seen Luck do in 3yrs. Its getting to the point where he's losing these close gms and u have to ask, what exactly is so special about Luck? Its something off about him

Brad....

As a rookie RG3 threw about 250 fewer passes than Luck did.    And he had the NFL's 2nd leading rusher behind him.

In other words,  he was asked to do less with more than Luck.

Your lack of understanding shows just how little about football you know.

The more you post,  the worse you look.    

He was statistically better than Luck in 2011 for the Heisman, and in 2012 for the ROY. Neither of those awards suggest that he was a better player.

As you are correct about stats, and it is about being THE BEST player and not MOST VALUABLE, but IMO RG3 was playing a heck of a lot easier talent level than Luck in college, and just like Russell Wilson and the Seahawks, RG3 also had a better team than Indy (at that time).  I realize the trophy doesn't take that stuff into consideration, but I also don't think those players should be rewarded for lack of competition.  Similar to why Boise St would go undefeated year after year and still not deserve a national title bid!  Either way I could see this situation coming for miles, and Im not a football guru like some so called analysts!

I am not saying Wilson is better than Luck either. But, I just do not see this big improvement that you see. I see the QB who still throws behind receivers on a regular basis. I still see a QB who doesn't check down to his alternate receivers quickly enough to help out his protection. I will say that he doesn't seem to throw long balls that float at the end like he did as a rookie. I just don't think the tries that many of those passes any more and perhaps he shouldn't.

Youre absolutely correct, Luck is still young and makes bad throws somewhat often, but the Seahawks were already established to help Russell Wilson thrive whereas Luck had to rebuild immediately.  It is a lot different when Luck had to throw the ball 50+ times a game while rushers hanging on his hips.  The Seahawks had a way better defense to help him out also.