Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pagano says no resting starters

Jules

Quite a contrast from Mr. Bill Polian who felt he did not owe the fans anything. :)

I also felt ole Bill had excessive cautionary reactions to a lot of things that I did not like. The Colts played their MLB (was it Cornelius Bennett or someone else?) in a last regular season game vs Bills, I think and he blew his knee out in 1999. Then Eddie George ran all over the Colts in that 1999 playoff game vs Colts that we lost 16-19. That made Bill more cautious about end of season approach to playing starters. Then, came the Corey Simon debacle in free agency, it made him more cautious about free agent acquisitions that he rarely dabbled.

Mike Chappell@mchappell51

Pagano: you want to win. you want to win at home. you want to go into the playoffs with momentum. we want to keep the momentum going

Mike Chappell@mchappell51

Pagano: message to players this morning - keep working the process. great meetings, great practice. go out sunday and play best ball game.

Pagano: defense has to take care of foster. gave up big play to andre johnson. manage chunk plays. enemy always in your own camp.

Pagano: got to make a big emphasis of taking care of 99, J.J. left a lot of yards out there. if we can get him blocked

Pagano: our mindset coming in has been we're going to play to win every single week regardless of the situation.

Pagano: to rest guys or pull back, i don't think we have enough numbers to do that.

#Colts' Pagano says team was still in last #Texans game despite blocked-punt TD, fumbling at 1, having TD called back by penalty.

Pagano: to rest guys or pull back, i don't think we have enough numbers to do that.

He is right on offense with the RB situation and O-line situation with all those injuries. The only thing they CAN do is rest Wayne and/or Luck for a tad bit based on the game flow, Ballard is probably going to play most of the game because of our RB situation. Wayne has been there, done that, in the playoffs. The young ones have not.

On defense, Mathis and Freeney do not play snaps like they used to in the past anyway, I expect them to get slightly lesser snaps to keep them fresh too. Same with Redding and AJ, IMO.

Phil Richards@PhilRichards6

Chuck Pagano says #Colts play every game to win, they want to be 11-5, they won't rest starters, they owe it to fans, city to play to win.

Tania Ganguli@taniaganguli

"It’s just not in our DNA to go out & say we’re going to rest this guy or that guy" #Colts coach Chuck Pagano on Sunday. Starters vs #Texans

thats what previous staff should have done

Even if we lose this weekend, or next weekend. Lets go down trying. Thats all I ask for as a fan. It's good experience regardless. Keep the fighting/gritty mentality with this squad.....

Sunday could be interesting though.

Too bad it is not for the division title, there were chances this year for that scenario to happen but it didn't.

But, no way is it good IMO to get swept by a division rival, no way. We have to try. Chuck is right too, we made some huge mistakes in Houston that cost us and we were still in the game.

Even if we lose this weekend, or next weekend. Lets go down trying. Thats all I ask for as a fan. It's good experience regardless. Keep the fighting/gritty mentality with this squad.....

Sunday could be interesting though.

Too bad it is not for the division title, there were chances this year for that scenario to happen but it didn't.

But, no way is it good IMO to get swept by a division rival, no way. We have to try. Chuck is right too, we made some huge mistakes in Houston that cost us and we were still in the game.

they havent beat us at home yet, let them take with effort if can, dont give that streak away

Keep Home Invincibiity alive

According to the consensus of the panel on First Take today - we have NO CHANCE to win a playoff game, so we may as well play our starters.  I love the Pagano attitude - It's not in our DNA!

I'm not going to defend Polian, but the circumstances were different.  We were favorites to win the SB, there was no need to risk injury.  Especially in the Buffalo game.

I was at the Jets game, booing the decision with the rest of the crowd.  But even barring an injury, an undefeated season would have been meaningless if we lost the SB.

THANK EVERYTHING HOLY!!!

A COACH WHO DOESN'T BELIEVE IN RESTING THE STARTERS!!!!!!

Such a great thing, this is the most i've been excited all day.

I agree  :agree:   I said in another thread,  I think you should ALWAYS Play to Win.   Period.

I think you have to be smart about it.  If the game is getting out of hand and the Texans are just t-ing off on Luck there isn't much to be gained from having him out there.  Yes he gains knowledge with each snap but he's not going to be learning much if he's getting sacked every other player and he'll learn even less if he ends up hurt. 

With that said I fully expect the Texans to have to handle a very emotional wave at the start of that game from the Colts.  The Colts starters, especially on offense, are just due for a good half of football at the very least.  The challenge will be when that wave wears off and it becomes a game.  A lot of times the team riding the kind of wave we should have at the start of the game runs out of gas when the wave fades and if they haven't blown the game open by that point they are trouble.  We will need to guard against that.

The biggest thing for the Colts on Sunday is to just come out of this game injury free.  We were playing without five of starters in the front seven on Sunday against KC and it killed us, the only two we had were Freeney and Mathis and as we know they are not out there to stop the run.  We can't go into a playoff game against the Ravens or Pats like that and expect to have half a chance. 

THANK EVERYTHING HOLY!!!

A COACH WHO DOESN'T BELIEVE IN RESTING THE STARTERS!!!!!!

Such a great thing, this is the most i've been excited all day.

We'll see if fans still sing this tune if someone important gets hurt on Sunday.  I don't want it to happen by any means but fans tend to go off what have you done for me lately.  If someone important goes down on Sunday I have a feeling a few people will be screaming we should have sat people.  Maybe not you but I am sure there were be some that will not be happy. 

It's a hard spot to be in because you can easily be darned if you do and darned if you don't.  You can play and get someone hurt or you can sit and be rusty.  By the same token you can rest and be freshly recharged for the playoffs or play and build that all important playoff momentum too. 

I am just glad I am not the one who has to make this choice.  I think the Colts are making the right choice though given the number of young players on the roster and how poorly they played at KC.  That's about as poorly as you can play in the NFL and still get a W.  I know we won our way in but it sure feels like we backed in based on how we played.  I would agree we need to get that out our mouths on Sunday. 

Of course someone could get hurt. But, someone could also get hurt in preseason, in training camp, in practice or pregame warm ups.

Yes but you know as well as I do people view that differently than if someone gets hurt in a game that you really didn't need to play them at all in.  At the end of the day it's the same result someone's hurt but people still look at differently.  Just like if a kicker misses a kick in the second quarter and you lose by two isn't viewed the same way as if a kicker misses a kick at the end of the game you lose by two.  You still lost by the same amount but for whatever reason they aren't treated the same. 

I want to be clear I agree the guys need to play.  They played way too poorly against KC for that to be the last outing going into the playoffs.  However, let's not kid ourselves if a guy gets hurt on Sunday it's not going to be viewed the same way as say when Angerer went down in the pre-season. 

Not saying right or wrong but IMO, total different scenarios than in past years when this question arose. They were a veteran team then, usually with a 12-4 record with lots of playoff experience opposed to now still trying to get better as a young team and find their way. It never bothered me as a fan too much when they rested the starters. We all witnessed what Peyton Manning meant to the Colts chances without a good backup QB, only made sense. The only year the Colts D really showed up in the playoffs they won it all and that also was when they didn`t rest starters. Still hard to find an answer

Somewhere, Bill Polian's head has exploded.

Good to hear

I agree 100% - it's good to hear that Bill Polian's head has exploded. 

Phil Richards@PhilRichards6

Chuck Pagano says #Colts play every game to win, they want to be 11-5, they won't rest starters, they owe it to fans, city to play to win.

Tania Ganguli@taniaganguli

"It’s just not in our DNA to go out & say we’re going to rest this guy or that guy" #Colts coach Chuck Pagano on Sunday. Starters vs #Texans

New regime - new attitude. Love it!!! 

Still bitter about giving up a possible perfect season a few years ago. Glad to see the current regime doesn't believe in that. It always seemed in the last six or seven seasons that if we rested our starters we always came out flat in our first playoff game too. The only exception was the year we gave up perfection. We actually came out against the Ravens and looked fairly sharp despite the time off. Regardless, I am much more in the "momentum" camp that Pagano is in, and I like playing every game to win.

Is that a predictable set?  Can we throw out of that alignment?  Just looking at no huddle options...

It's very predictible, and we run very well behind it.

As far as throwing out of it, I would think we could send Allen or Fleener out for a quick catch after the run fake. Or run Luck Bootleg the opposite way.

Freeney was just on NFL live, and he sort of spilled the beans. He said they ere preparing just like any another game. OTOH, nicked players probably won play, and the rest will but he doesn't know how long, no promises they go all game.  We'll see...

I didn't see it but I would not be stunned if a few knicked up defensive guys were on a rotation. And if the game got out of hand for the Colts who knows what we do. And we have to wait and see if a guy like Redding even plays too probably.

But, this might be a bit of a shocker to Freeney and a few vets too IMO. lmao They are not used of a head coach wanting to go all out for the win when it's not needed. Hey Dwight, Dungy/Caldwell and Polian are gone! :)

According to the consensus of the panel on First Take today - we have NO CHANCE to win a playoff game, so we may as well play our starters.  I love the Pagano attitude - It's not in our DNA!

I'm not going to defend Polian, but the circumstances were different.  We were favorites to win the SB, there was no need to risk injury.  Especially in the Buffalo game.

I was at the Jets game, booing the decision with the rest of the crowd.  But even barring an injury, an undefeated season would have been meaningless if we lost the SB.

It made me sick to listen to this nonsense

How a guy that is paid to study the game and give opinions can say that the Colts has no chances to get a win against the Bengals (a team that suffered to take a W against a demolished Eagles) or the Ravens (another team that is having alot of problems)? And it made me more sick the way he talked like if we were a big joke

It made me sick to listen to this BSHow a guy that is paid to study the game and give opinions can say that the Colts has no chances to get a win against the Bengals (a team that suffered to take a W against a demolished Eagles) or the Ravens (another team that is having alot of problems)? And it made me more sick the way he talked like if we were a big joke

First Take is a big joke