Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

drops.

trueblueblood

I don't understand how there can be so many dropped passes by receivers. Have you ever tried receiver gloves on? Its nearly impossible not to catch the ball... and receivers who get paid millions drop the ball all the time. I don't get it. Our receivers need to fix this, I think I heard we have the most drops in the NFL. Unacceptable.

On the plus side, at least it was Allen that dropped a couple of easy ones and not Fleener. Then we would've had 5 more threads on here about what a horrible pick he was and how he's a bust.

Yep, Allen should have held on to those 2 passes. Like Bill Polian used to say "if it hits your hands, you have to come down with it" (unless the defender makes a tremendous play, of course).

TY, Donnie and Dwayne have the most drops on the team, and it makes sense.

2 of those guys are rookies and are scared to take the big hits at the highest level. College is one thing, NFL is another. Donnie isn't very experienced either and is catching more balls over the middle than he ever did in St Louis.

As a former receiver at the university level, I can honestly tell you that as a receiver, you don't want to get hit. They're not scared, they just hate being hit. I've asked so many receivers this, and that's the consensus.

Sometimes they rather NOT take a hard hit and drop the ball, than take the big hit and get the ball. Running over the middle in football isn't a fun thought, you're constantly thinking before the snap and even during the snap whether there is a safety there ready to take your head off.

So, all in all, there are some balls that should have been caught (especially the ones on the sidelines or the easy short ones), but sometimes you have to give them a break when it comes to the ones over the middle, because you really don't know what's going through their minds.

I can't believe this crap and the worst part is Brady's reviewers aren't dropping anything

Well, the Colts don't exactly have Wes Welker, Rob Gronkowski, Brandon Lloyd and Edelman (who believe or not, never drops it).

The Colts' only consistent receiver who rarely drops is "The Reg."

Ya. Allen dropped a couple passes. But he also made some catches. One of the drops was a great throw right in his hands.

On a 2nd down play that would have been caught for a 1st down, instead he drops it and puts us in 3rd and 10, But the game was well over by that point, it was late in the 4th

I have to disagree with you on this one Andy...

TY, Donnie and Dwayne have the most drops on the team, and it makes sense.

2 of those guys are rookies and are scared to take the big hits at the highest level. College is one thing, NFL is another. Donnie isn't very experienced either and is catching more balls over the middle than he ever did in St Louis.

As a former receiver at the university level, I can honestly tell you that as a receiver, you don't want to get hit. They're not scared, they just hate being hit. I've asked so many receivers this, and that's the consensus.

Sometimes they rather NOT take a hard hit and drop the ball, than take the big hit and get the ball. Running over the middle in football isn't a fun thought, you're constantly thinking before the snap and even during the snap whether there is a safety there ready to take your head off.

So, all in all, there are some balls that should have been caught (especially the ones on the sidelines or the easy short ones), but sometimes you have to give them a break when it comes to the ones over the middle, because you really don't know what's going through their minds.

Well, the Colts don't exactly have Wes Welker, Rob Gronkowski, Brandon Lloyd and Edelman (who believe or not, never drops it).

The Colts' only consistent receiver who rarely drops is "The Reg."

According to the NFL stats on dropped passes...Here is a list of the leaders in dropped passes in the AFC

1 Demaryius Thomas Den 7 2t Eric Decker Den 6 2t Wes Welker NE 6 4t Davone Bess Mia 5 4t Kenny Britt Ten 5 4t Jermaine Gresham Cin 5 4t Rob Gronkowski NE 5 4t Greg Little Cle 5 4t Brandon Lloyd NE 5 4t Darren McFadden Oak 5 4t Denarius Moore Oak 5 4t Cecil Shorts Jac 5 4t Mike Wallace Pit 5 4t Reggie Wayne Ind 5 15t Dwayne Bowe KC 4 15t Scott Chandler Buf 4 15t Arian Foster Hou 4 15t Stephen Hill NYJ 4 15t T.Y. Hilton Ind 4 15t Andre Johnson Hou 4 15t Owen Marecic Cle 4 15t Keshawn Martin Hou 4 15t Dexter McCluster KC 4 15t Willis McGahee Den 4 15t Brandon Myers Oak 4 15t Trent Richardson Cle 4 15t Laurent Robinson Jac 4 15t Kendall Wright Ten

I don't know if it was updated for Sunday's games yet...but according to this report, Reggie has more drops than Hilton..People tend to notice Hilton's more because they are more pronounced..(like when he dropped that wide open deep pass)

Also, if you notice on this list, Welker, Lloyd, and Gronk have more official drops than Hilton...

And this is only on the AFC side..If you look at the entire NFL..you'll see some pretty signifcant names on the list..

1 Jimmy Graham NO 9 2t Victor Cruz NYG 8 2t Doug Martin TB 8 4 Demaryius Thomas Den 7 5t Dez Bryant Dal 6 5t Eric Decker Den 6 5t Calvin Johnson Det 6 5t Brandon Pettigrew Det 6 5t Wes Welker NE 6 5t Jason Witten Dal 6

People need to stop being so harsh on Hilton. I don't see anyone complaining about the sliding TD catch in the end zone, or some of the tough catches in tight coverage the guy makes. I agree he had a bad game on kickoff returns, and I agree with you that he shouldn't be runing back kickoffs...His punt returns have been decent as he has 15 punt returns for 122 yards which equals 8.1 yards per return, which is in the middle of the pack for returners. He is a much better punt returner than kickoff returner.

The guy is producing better than any rookie WR this year, and better than a lot of veterans as well. Like I said before, people only tend to remember the bad things, even if the good things are more numerous. I know that am glad he's on our team.

EDIT:..Mods..when i pasted this..the hyperlinks wouldn't go away, and I'm not sure how to remove them..can you assist?

According to the NFL stats on dropped passes...Here is a list of the leaders in dropped passes in the AFC

1 Demaryius Thomas Den 7 2t Eric Decker Den 6 2t Wes Welker NE 6 4t Davone Bess Mia 5 4t Kenny Britt Ten 5 4t Jermaine Gresham Cin 5 4t Rob Gronkowski NE 5 4t Greg Little Cle 5 4t Brandon Lloyd NE 5 4t Darren McFadden Oak 5 4t Denarius Moore Oak 5 4t Cecil Shorts Jac 5 4t Mike Wallace Pit 5 4t Reggie Wayne Ind 5 15t Dwayne Bowe KC 4 15t Scott Chandler Buf 4 15t Arian Foster Hou 4 15t Stephen Hill NYJ 4 15t T.Y. Hilton Ind 4 15t Andre Johnson Hou 4 15t Owen Marecic Cle 4 15t Keshawn Martin Hou 4 15t Dexter McCluster KC 4 15t Willis McGahee Den 4 15t Brandon Myers Oak 4 15t Trent Richardson Cle 4 15t Laurent Robinson Jac 4 15t Kendall Wright Ten

I don't know if it was updated for Sunday's games yet...but according to this report, Reggie has more drops than Hilton..People tend to notice Hilton's more because they are more pronounced..(like when he dropped that wide open deep pass)

Also, if you notice on this list, Welker, Lloyd, and Gronk have more official drops than Hilton...

And this is only on the AFC side..If you look at the entire NFL..you'll see some pretty signifcant names on the list..

1 Jimmy Graham NO 9 2t Victor Cruz NYG 8 2t Doug Martin TB 8 4 Demaryius Thomas Den 7 5t Dez Bryant Dal 6 5t Eric Decker Den 6 5t Calvin Johnson Det 6 5t Brandon Pettigrew Det 6 5t Wes Welker NE 6 5t Jason Witten Dal 6

People need to stop being so harsh on Hilton. I don't see anyone complaining about the sliding TD catch in the end zone, or some of the tough catches in tight coverage the guy makes. I agree he had a bad game on kickoff returns, and I agree with you that he shouldn't be runing back kickoffs...His punt returns have been decent as he has 15 punt returns for 122 yards which equals 8.1 yards per return, which is in the middle of the pack for returners. He is a much better punt returner than kickoff returner.

The guy is producing better than any rookie WR this year, and better than a lot of veterans as well. Like I said before, people only tend to remember the bad things, even if the good things are more numerous. I know that am glad he's on our team.

EDIT:..Mods..when i pasted this..the hyperlinks wouldn't go away, and I'm not sure how to remove them..can you assist?

Case closed. Not an other X-file...

Just wanted to add a note that these #'s do not include yesterdays game. They will be updated later in the week.

The team had 23 entering the Patriots game, so we will see come Thursday or so how many "official drops" they have. That total rarely equals the total that fans see on Sunday.

NFL Passes Dropped
Rank Team Passes Dropped
1 Detroit Lions 27
2 Jacksonville Jaguars 26
3 Cleveland Browns 25
4 Denver Broncos 23
5 Green Bay Packers 23
6 Indianapolis Colts 23
7 New England Patriots 23
8 New Orleans Saints 23
9 New York Giants 22
10 Tennessee Titans 21
11 Atlanta Falcons 20
12 Dallas Cowboys 20
13 Oakland Raiders 20
14 Washington Redskins 20
15 Houston Texans 18
16 Miami Dolphins 18
17 Pittsburgh Steelers 18
18 New York Jets 17
19 Arizona Cardinals 17
20 Kansas City Chiefs 16
21 Chicago Bears 15
22 San Francisco 49ers 15
23 Seattle Seahawks 15
24 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 15
25 Philadelphia Eagles 14
26 Buffalo Bills 13
27 St. Louis Rams 13
28 Minnesota Vikings 13
29 Cincinnati Bengals 11
30 Carolina Panthers 11
31 Baltimore Ravens 11
32 San Diego Chargers 9

Another thing you have to consider is the % of passes dropped. Teams that throw it less the bigger the problem can be.

Peyton, Rodgers, Brees, and Brady all have the same number of passes dropped as Luck. It's part of the game, and these great QB's have proven they can overcome it. Andrew will too.

{on another note, why are Redskins lower, I thought someone complained RG3 had 10 drops in just one game?}

Hyperbole is an amazing thing isn't it lol.

Peyton, Rodgers, Brees, and Brady all have the same number of passes dropped as Luck. It's part of the game, and these great QB's have proven they can overcome it. Andrew will too.

{on another note, why are Redskins lower, I thought someone complained RG3 had 10 drops in just one game?}

they did in that one game...or at least close to it. on one possession i think the redskin receivers dropped 3 straight passes for a three and out.

they did in that one game...or at least close to it. on one possession i think the redskin receivers dropped 3 straight passes for a three and out.

Since their total is lower, then the rest of the games the must have almost no drops at all. Got most of them out of the way in one game, and apparently one series! LOL, but FJC says it was 5. :)

Well, Reggie is targeted the most on the team and the NFL.

Percentage wise, Avery, Hilton and Allen (not sure about Allen) rank higher.

Alot of this has to do with them being so young and having to adjust to different players week in and week out. Thier all still learning the process and getting comfortable in the game. I think well see improvement in thier second year and third year with a whole year of expirience under thier belt and an off season to review and work on the areas of weakness. Its gonna take them a some time. I know some of the drop are rediculious and really should have been caught but its just something that happens with alot of young recivers. The big reasons for our loss was Lucks four turnovers, the secondary and special teams. We need help at corner really bad right now!!!