Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Losing draft picks? Have you forgotten the $$ we'll have next year?

cmgww

To all those complaining about losing draft picks....have you forgotten how much cap space we will have next year once the old guard is cleared off the books? A LOT. And I for one think we can get a ton of pieces via FA to make the team more complete. No, not blowing $$$ on big name vets like the Raiders and 'Skins do, but scooping up young, promising, proven guys that can help immediately. So, don't lose too much sleep over losing some of next year's draft picks. The Pats have been notorious for trading DOWN/away picks in the draft until just this past year, and they haven't really lost a step. I have faith the new staff knows what to do, and one of our biggest needs was filled today if he pans out, which I think he will.

To all those complaining about losing draft picks....have you forgotten how much cap space we will have next year once the old guard is cleared off the books? A LOT. And I for one think we can get a ton of pieces via FA to make the team more complete. No, not blowing $$$ on big name vets like the Raiders and 'Skins do, but scooping up young, promising, proven guys that can help immediately. So, don't lose too much sleep over losing some of next year's draft picks. The Pats have been notorious for trading DOWN/away picks in the draft until just this past year, and they haven't really lost a step. I have faith the new staff knows what to do, and one of our biggest needs was filled today if he pans out, which I think he will.

That sounds all well and good except for this...

What you refer to as "young, promising, proven guys" typically don't make it to Free Agency. They either get signed to a long term deal, or their team puts the Franchise Tag on them. There just aren't as many young, promising proven players that hit the open market.

All of this is much easier said than done.

The Colts have a long year ahead of them. Not everything is going to go as we hoped. And we won't solve all of our problems in the 2013 Free Agent signing period and the 2013 draft. It's going to take some time.

What you refer to as "young, promising, proven guys" typically don't make it to Free Agency. They either get signed to a long term deal, or their team puts the Franchise Tag on them. There just aren't as many young, promising proven players that hit the open market.

The Colts have a long year ahead of them. Not everything is going to go as we hoped. And we won't solve all of our problems in the 2013 Free Agent signing period and the 2013 draft. It's going to take some time.

Take a look at this list: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/transactions/free-agents

Good, young players do hit free agency with a good amount of frequency. Brandon Carr, Carl Nicks, Ben Grubbs, Vincent Jackson, Cortland Finnegan, Eric Winston, Mario Manningham, Pierre Garcon, etc. This is the NFL in the salary cap era. There's tons of roster turnover every year, including notable players with tons of value and upside.

Take a look at this list: http://www.cbssports...ons/free-agents

Good, young players do hit free agency with a good amount of frequency. Brandon Carr, Carl Nicks, Ben Grubbs, Vincent Jackson, Cortland Finnegan, Eric Winston, Mario Manningham, Pierre Garcon, etc. This is the NFL in the salary cap era. There's tons of roster turnover every year, including notable players with tons of value and upside.

Some do.... but not a lot. And sometimes not in the positions where a team is looking for help.

Remember, there are 32 teams looking for help. The names that eventually surface have choices. Even with the most money we likely won't get everything we want or need.

<p>I'm only trying to caution people who think that a year from now everything will be great.  %3

There will be some good young players who won't break the bank and fill our needs. The draft hasn't been all that kind to us in past years anyway: sure there have been exceptions, and this year's draft was decent (not counting Luck, he skews the curve if he pans out, which I firmly believe will happen)...The new regime is more aggressive but not to a fault, at least not yet. We needed secondary help in the worst way, and if we get Angerer back for Week 1 or 2 at the latest, then the LB position is stronger. NTs, well, let's hope we can play "Manning ball" until Chapman gets healthy or we find a waiver wire gem.

My priority would be in the trenches....OL especially. Protect the franchise. Look at Brady....for years no one even could even get close enough to make him remotely nervous in the pocket....and when they did he looked human. If we build a great a great line around Andrew I think he could pick teams apart. Not only that but it makes running the ball so much easier. I think we are a RG and RT away from the playoffs. Sure Reggie is getting long in the tooth and clearly now Collie won't return after this year but our young guys and the draft I think is where you can address that....but it takes time to develop Linemen. I would love to see us get some quality beef on that line...not just some ground chuck that we have filling in this year.

With that addressed we can then really start targeting specific positions like OLB or NT and so on as those positions age or reveal needs. This cb trade should really take cb off our target list....it allows Powers to move over to #2 where he belongs and the rest of those guys to fight over nickle and dime packages where they are a better fit and won't be exposed as much. That money will go fast but there is no reason we can't identify those needs and address them...thus letting us use the draft for best player available instead of reaching for needs.

We can identify and fill three or four big needs in free agency next season without breaking a sweat. It kind of hurts to give up a 2nd rounder, but if Davis works out, it will be worth it.

yep if there is a year to do it for a player like that it's this year with the money we'll have we should be able to get a player equal or better to the type of player we would have gotten in the second round next year. So even if Davis busts out I think we can recover from this trade. If it's a hit he's the kind of guy who can fix something that was one of our biggest weaknesses.

With the exception of the 2nd round pick for Davis, we have traded late round picks. Late round picks are a toss up anyway. Trading these picks for players isn't really anything different than accelerating our pick to this year.

Still having our 1,3, and 4 should provide us with what should amount to 2 eventual starters and a key special teamer at worst.

Oh......

So you're saying that if we break open the checkbook and sign big name free agents it's going to automatically work out then?

Uh huh...

You must not remember these big FA signing that led to... Nothing:

Javon Kearse to the Eagles

Albert Haynesworth to the Redskins

Adalius Thomas to the Patriots

Kerry Collins to the Raiders

I hope just because I was brief with my list that you don't think these are the only instances this sort of thing has happened, I just wanted to point a few out that, in theory, should have set the world on fire for each team, but did not...

Yes and we all know the perennially successful teams build primarily through free agency instead of the draft :sarcasm:

Oh......

So you're saying that if we break open the checkbook and sign big name free agents it's going to automatically work out then?

Uh huh...

I hope just because I was brief with my list that you don't think these are the only instances this sort of thing has happened, I just wanted to point a few out that, in theory, should have set the world on fire for each team, but did not...

I don't think I have to actually make a list to counter your list, one with ten times as many big name free agents that did help turn teams around. I think the threat is sufficient.

Of course just making free agent signings doesn't make you a good team. But having a ton of cap space and using this season to clearly identify your biggest needs will allow you to make smart decisions in free agency. Rather than worrying about the second rounder we gave up for Davis, we can acknowledge that we can make up for that pick with a good signing next year. Add to that the draft class we have for this season, plus next year's picks, and we will have added a significant amount of talent in two offseasons.

I don't think I have to actually make a list to counter your list, one with ten times as many big name free agents that did help turn teams around. I think the threat is sufficient.

Of course just making free agent signings doesn't make you a good team. But having a ton of cap space and using this season to clearly identify your biggest needs will allow you to make smart decisions in free agency. Rather than worrying about the second rounder we gave up for Davis, we can acknowledge that we can make up for that pick with a good signing next year. Add to that the draft class we have for this season, plus next year's picks, and we will have added a significant amount of talent in two offseasons.

Oh, I know, I'm just saying that you can't expect to fix everything in FA because that's a good way to kill your cap. It's nice to have draft picks and get good, affordable production out of guys like Pat Angerer and Kavell Conner the way we have... I'd hate to get into a situation some years down the road where we have to play the cap casualty game because we traded too many picks away and have to fill the roster in other ways.

Yes and we all know the perennially successful teams build primarily through free agency instead of the draft :sarcasm:

Don't put words into my mouth. I never said go out and sign high priced FAs like the Raiders and Redskins do... I said find good young talent at reasonable prices and let Grigson do his job. Jeez

It's awful to lose draft picks, PERIOD. If you don't see the importance of draft picks for a rebuilding team then fine, but anyone who knows how to build a team, you do it through the draft AND yes, you can augment with free--agency, but you do not build a team through free agency. Just look at the teams who have tried that, it creates disdain amongst teammates and creates a terrible locker room environment. (Look at Philly last year).

Oh, I know, I'm just saying that you can't expect to fix everything in FA because that's a good way to kill your cap. It's nice to have draft picks and get good, affordable production out of guys like Pat Angerer and Kavell Conner the way we have... I'd hate to get into a situation some years down the road where we have to play the cap casualty game because we traded too many picks away and have to fill the roster in other ways.

If you have two or three holes on your team, and you have cap space, it makes sense to be active in free agency. The rookie wage scale protects the team from high salaries for first rounders, which gives us Luck for at least the next four years at a very manageable cap hit. And, realistically speaking, you're always going to have high priced players on your team. The question is just whether they're players you drafted or players you attained through free agency. You'd prefer to have drafted them, because free agency usually leads to players being overpaid. But if you can use it to patch weaknesses on your roster, weaknesses that are probably the fault of poor drafting, then you can speed up your climb back into contention.

In this case, a trade for a good player like Davis, still with two years on his contract, helps the team as much as a 2nd rounder next year would. He's 24, super talented, and he comes cheap. He fills one of the biggest needs on the team. Now we can approach next year's draft hopefully having two starting caliber corners. We'll have some money in free agency, and hopefully can at least grab an offensive lineman, maybe a strong safety.

You're right, you don't want to go out and spend recklessly, but when you have $40 million in cap space, losing two or three draft picks isn't the end of the world.

It's awful to lose draft picks, PERIOD. If you don't see the importance of draft picks for a rebuilding team then fine, but anyone who knows how to build a team, you do it through the draft AND yes, you can augment with free--agency, but you do not build a team through free agency. Just look at the teams who have tried that, it creates disdain amongst teammates and creates a terrible locker room environment. (Look at Philly last year).

The bulk of this team has been built already. We're talking about just what you say: augmenting through free agency by adding two or three players at positions of need. Not building a dream team by going after the highest profile free agents available.

Take the Texans, for instance. They've spent several years drafting high, and haven't traded away a lot of picks. But they added their quarterback through free agency. They added two players in the secondary through free agency last year.

How many picks have we traded so far? A 2nd and maybe 2 5th round picks? I can't remember but the only draft pick we traded that was of significant value was the 2nd pick for Davis. That's it. Everything else, when used in the draft, is rolling the dice. You don't know what players are gonna work out from the draft and which ones are not. To say you only rebuild through the draft isn't entirely true. And to say "look the colts did it for years" is a load of bull. What happened to our team without Peyton? It went to heck. Our team sucked without Peyton and it did for years accept a few good players here or there. If you build through the draft only then you going to see what the colts became. What the OP is saying, I believe, is we have tons of cap space. We can sign almost anyone if we want them bad enough.... Rebuilding takes FA signings AND draft, and a good coaching staff. Hes/she's saying that we haven't really traded away our draft like so many are up in arms about. I, me, myself, me and I? Am glad grigson is willing to trade here or there. He's used ONE high draft pick on a good CB. Might work out might not. But to say u rebuild through the draft mainly, obviously didn't pay attention to who the colts became after the SB of 06. And that was mediocre. Only reason we were good is because of peyton manning. Because he's the man. How am I one of the few that see that? it's so obvious...?

Did anyone say to rebuild this team in FA alone? No I don't think I saw that did you see that?

Their will be more than a few great players in free agency, a team can only tagg one player per team. Teams like Miami, Kansas City, Seattle, Pittsburgh and Atlanta all have more then two some three great player entering free agency next year teams cant tagg everyone. You also have teams that dont have the money to resign their key players or bring anyone in out of free agency. Trust me there will be some big names out their, what I want to know is how many we will be able to bring in with 40 to 60 million in cap space 4-5-6 anyone?

Well said there is a lot of work to do and free agency is not always the answer

Oh......

Uh huh...

I don't like free agency its like black jack hit or miss just because your throwing money around does not mean you automaticly win the lottery hope GRIGSON no's what he is doing

People are still accustomed to the Polian regime where we held onto our draft picks and only spent money on our players. The type of regime we have now is the one I have been waiting for, the type that builds a team through median possible. As the OP said, don't worry about the pick going away because we will have money to get nice players in FA. This isn't the NBA, the players here follow the money, not the market. And to be honest, the only valuable pick we gave away was the 2nd pick for VD but we won't miss that pick unless VD does not transpire or gets hurt. We will be something we haven't been in years, heavy players in the FA. With the CBA, a lot of players will be looking for a big pay and with players like Shonne Greene, Steve Smith, Bowe, Wallace, Jeff Otah, Jake Long, TJ Lang, Glenn dorsey, Shaun Phillips, Brian Urlacher, Brian Laurinatis, and a load of corners, we will have a lot of chances to fill needs and holes.

Look how the Lions built their team. They drafted Stafford, Fairley, & Suh, kept notable players (like Megatron) and filled the roster with FA, trades, and young players. We will probably follow the same model. I think we have our NT's with Mckinney (sad he's hurt) and Chapman. We need LB's, OL's, and a DE.

Not saying we need to buy out the FA, but if we spend money on the RIGHT players then we will be ok.

How many picks have we traded so far? A 2nd and maybe 2 5th round picks? I can't remember but the only draft pick we traded that was of significant value was the 2nd pick for Davis. That's it. Everything else, when used in the draft, is rolling the dice. You don't know what players are gonna work out from the draft and which ones are not. To say you only rebuild through the draft isn't entirely true. And to say "look the colts did it for years" is a load of bull. What happened to our team without Peyton? It went to heck. Our team sucked without Peyton and it did for years accept a few good players here or there. If you build through the draft only then you going to see what the colts became. What the OP is saying, I believe, is we have tons of cap space. We can sign almost anyone if we want them bad enough.... Rebuilding takes FA signings AND draft, and a good coaching staff. Hes/she's saying that we haven't really traded away our draft like so many are up in arms about. I, me, myself, me and I? Am glad grigson is willing to trade here or there. He's used ONE high draft pick on a good CB. Might work out might not. But to say u rebuild through the draft mainly, obviously didn't pay attention to who the colts became after the SB of 06. And that was mediocre. Only reason we were good is because of peyton manning. Because he's the man. How am I one of the few that see that? it's so obvious...?

Im with you the POLIANS right after the 2006 season have left us in terrible shape

Im not sure exactly how much cap space we'll have next yr., but I've heard numbers between 45 mil. to 60 mil. That is an enormous amount of cap space either way. Also isn't there a new rule next yr. that teams have to spend at least 90%(or so) of their cap space? What I'm getting at, is that we could bring in 4-6 top players for that money or probably 10-12 good players. I. for one, don't think this team is way off like some seem to think. With some upgrades on O-line and D-line, this team could easily be right back in the hunt for a super bowl and those upgrades could easily come next offseason with the money we have to spend.

I think you have to mix both in.Grigson said if Davis was in the 2013 draft,he wouldn't be there in the 2nd round ( I agree ) I think it just depends on the people running the team.The Pat's seem to mix both well.(overall) I also think the will trade the other way and get some draft picks back.

I think you have to mix both in.Grigson said if Davis was in the 2013 draft,he wouldn't be there in the 2nd round ( I agree ) I think it just depends on the people running the team.The Pat's seem to mix both well.(overall) I also think the will trade the other way and get some draft picks back.

we already know what his work ethic is, pretty bad (Davis), and so he's shown a bad track-record - he gloats each time he touches the ball but if he touches the ball a lot that means good things are happening, he IS around the ball when he actually plays,,,, but how in the world did he GET BEAT OUT for a starting spot in MIAMI, ---- if that's the case, he's not a worthy 2nd round pick much less a 3rd.

we already know what his work ethic is, pretty bad (Davis), and so he's shown a bad track-record - he gloats each time he touches the ball but if he touches the ball a lot that means good things are happening, he IS around the ball when he actually plays,,,, but how in the world did he GET BEAT OUT for a starting spot in MIAMI, ---- if that's the case, he's not a worthy 2nd round pick much less a 3rd.

I don't know.I guess we'll have to wait and see.Every player Draft Pick or Free Agent is a chance taken.

I think it's entirely possible to land some top tier guys at premium positions. OL and DL and wherever else. We have that kind of $.

We could get some combination of

OL-Clady, Long, Brown, Otah

Def-Long, Rodgers Cromatie,Byrd, Dorsey

I'd love to land a Clady, Lauranitis, Byrd combo and that would easily be done with millions to spare.

Im not sure exactly how much cap space we'll have next yr., but I've heard numbers between 45 mil. to 60 mil. That is an enormous amount of cap space either way. Also isn't there a new rule next yr. that teams have to spend at least 90%(or so) of their cap space? What I'm getting at, is that we could bring in 4-6 top players for that money or probably 10-12 good players. I. for one, don't think this team is way off like some seem to think. With some upgrades on O-line and D-line, this team could easily be right back in the hunt for a super bowl and those upgrades could easily come next offseason with the money we have to spend.

I agree, we are on the right track

but we have to remember we already used some of that cap on Mathis, Zimthatsafetywithacomplicatednamethaticantspell,Satelle and others. i still think we gonna have a lot but if we also have a loooot of players that will be finishing their deals: Moala, Freeney(and if here to suceed this year he is gonna get a lot of that cap room), Powers (which IMO is essential because we just signed vontae..we dont want to go into next offseason with the same problem: 1 real CB), Collie, Avery, Justice, reitz i think? not sure how much Angerer has left in his contract

but we have to remember we already used some of that cap on Mathis, Zimthatsafetywithacomplicatednamethaticantspell,Satelle and others. i still think we gonna have a lot but if we also have a loooot of players that will be finishing their deals: Moala, Freeney(and if here to suceed this year he is gonna get a lot of that cap room), Powers (which IMO is essential because we just signed vontae..we dont want to go into next offseason with the same problem: 1 real CB), Collie, Avery, Justice, reitz i think? not sure how much Angerer has left in his contract

Im pretty sure Mathis, Satele, Zibs, and all the other players we signed this yr. are already fugured into that amount that we'll have to spend next yr.. In other words, their contracts are already accounted in that cap space we'll have next yr.. Freeney more than likely will not be retained and the other guys we have that need resigned will be minimal contracts. Like I said we only need a couple of o-line upgrades and a couple of upgrades on defense(starting NT, DE, and possibly another Lber). All of which could easily be fit in under our cap room. People think we need new guys everywhere on the roster and thats just not true. With Vontae, IMO were set at CB, were fine at WR, RB, and obviously QB. We are not in as bad of shape as some would have you believe.

Im pretty sure Mathis, Satele, Zibs, and all the other players we signed this yr. are already fugured into that amount that we'll have to spend next yr.. In other words, their contracts are already accounted in that cap space we'll have next yr.. Freeney more than likely will not be retained and the other guys we have that need resigned will be minimal contracts. Like I said we only need a couple of o-line upgrades and a couple of upgrades on defense(starting NT, DE, and possibly another Lber). All of which could easily be fit in under our cap room. People think we need new guys everywhere on the roster and thats just not true. With Vontae, IMO were set at CB, were fine at WR, RB, and obviously QB. We are not in as bad of shape as some would have you believe.

oh no dont get me wrong... IMO we need a RG,RT, DE/DT, lb . which all can be solved trough draft and FA. but my point is the last time we heard that 40-60 million figure was BEFORE we signed mathis, fleener, luck, and all that. im really curious to see how much cap space we still got left.

and also like i said, we are not set if powers is out after this season. i really hope both CB get resigned to future years.

I certainly hope we trade down next year to get our 2nd pick back, and get DT with our first or ILB, and a OT/ILB with our second.

go get a G with our 3rd, and get whatever we didnt get of DT/OT/ILB with our first 2 picks in FA and a nickel corner....but im getting way ahead

The stories about 'cap space' for the Colts peg us right around $40 mill.

I've never seen a figure higher than that. But $40 mill is a LOT. I think it's the most in the NFL for next year. It's 1/3 of the roughly $120 mill a team has to spend.

I just don't know how much talent will be available to us to use that money on. Looking forward to finding out.

I'm confident that the figures $45 to $60 mill is much too high.