Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

O line and Running game

Golfr

I am confused how the media and posters here contend that the Colts have a poor offensive line and no running game. How do they know this? I think we at least have to play a game or 2 to have any evidence to back up these unfounded statements. Offensive lines work as a team and this line has yet to play a single game together. RB's in the NFL are as good as their O-line. I believe Carter, Ballard and Moore or Evans can get the job done as long as the O-line does their job. Once again how do they know our line will not be good and that we will be unable to run the ball effectively? The answer is they do not know and they are either speculating or just worried.

Our O-line has players that have made their way to the NFL and the Colts one way or another. The key to our running game and O-line is talent, coaching, sysytem, heart and hardwork. These O-linemen have talent or they would of never made it to the NFL or to the Colts. We have coachs that have proven that they know how to coach and win in this league. We will be using a proven system that works as evidence of other teams. The only thing left is heart and hardwork. I have no doubt that this line is working hard and want to win for their coachs, QB, team and themselves.

Do not listen to these fools as they have no basis at this time to make such claims. Keep the faith.

What, no mention of Brown?

Sorry. I am not a big DB fan from his past performances. I am not reading/hearing anything to change my mind regarding DB either. DB may not even make this team. Ballard and Carter are locks.....Moore was brought in for a reason....probably due to Arians so he probably makes the team.

I am confused how the media and posters here contend that the Colts have a poor offensive line and no running game. How do they know this? I think we at least have to play a game or 2 to have any evidence to back up these unfounded statements. Offensive lines work as a team and this line has yet to play a single game together. RB's in the NFL are as good as their O-line. I believe Carter, Ballard and Moore or Evans can get the job done as long as the O-line does their job. Once again how do they know our line will not be good and that we will be unable to run the ball effectively? The answer is they do not know and they are either speculating or just worried.

Our O-line has players that have made their way to the NFL and the Colts one way or another. The key to our running game and O-line is talent, coaching, sysytem, heart and hardwork. These O-linemen have talent or they would of never made it to the NFL or to the Colts. We have coachs that have proven that they know how to coach and win in this league. We will be using a proven system that works as evidence of other teams. The only thing left is heart and hardwork. I have no doubt that this line is working hard and want to win for their coachs, QB, team and themselves.

Do not listen to these fools as they have no basis at this time to make such claims. Keep the faith.

All anyone has is the past history of the players involved. As you say, anything more than an expression of concern based on past performance can be judged as nattering negativism. You have to give the TEAM and coaches thru pre-season and at least 3 reg season games to plot a trend.

What we do know is, this Ain`t 285 lb Liljah and Scott!

Because the talking heads do not go in depth, they hardly scratch the surface, making me wonder whats the point.

Good point. I get the talking heads making these statements as they probably do not devote the time needed to make these assumptions. They have to talk about all the teams so I can let them slide. Our own fans I do not get. We have seen all the moves and read and researched these players and coachs. No doubt we will be a competitive football team. I just do not understand how some of our fans act as if we may be so bad that we could get the number 1 pick again.

Sorry. I am not a big DB fan from his past performances. I am not reading/hearing anything to change my mind regarding DB either. DB may not even make this team. Ballard and Carter are locks.....Moore was brought in for a reason....probably due to Arians so he probably makes the team.

But according to your logic, a running back is a product of his offensive line.

And while I agree with a good majority of that logic, I think it's still fair to say that athletic ability plays a role, as well. If you were to put Adrian Peterson in a blue and white jersey, our running game would improve--how much is determined by how the offensive line works together, but no running back on this squad has the ability that Peterson has. I think that's why people are already writing the Colts as struggling in the running game--they don't have a proven player. Same goes for the offensive line. The OLine struggled last season and already has three new starters. It's not fair for us to say that we can rely on the run game if it hasn't proven anything yet.

All anyone has is the past history of the players involved. As you say, anything more than an expression of concern based on past performance can be judged as nattering negativism. You have to give the TEAM and coaches thru pre-season and at least 3 reg season games to plot a trend.

What we do know is, this Ain`t 285 lb Liljah and Scott!

I am not sure you can even use past history with our linemen. Factors such as injury, coaching preferences, enviroment, system and chemistry play a role also. This line could be a big, healthy, well coached bunch in a good system that just clicks together.

But according to your logic, a running back is a product of his offensive line.

And while I agree with a good majority of that logic, I think it's still fair to say that athletic ability plays a role, as well. If you were to put Adrian Peterson in a blue and white jersey, our running game would improve--how much is determined by how the offensive line works together, but no running back on this squad has the ability that Peterson has. I think that's why people are already writing the Colts as struggling in the running game--they don't have a proven player. Same goes for the offensive line. The OLine struggled last season and already has three new starters. It's not fair for us to say that we can rely on the run game if it hasn't proven anything yet.

Point well taken............ I agree regarding the athletic ability of the RB. The athletic ability of the back makes the running game that much better.

Hard to evaluate lineman and running backs during camp. I have read several reports from writers who have been at camp saying that we haven't worked on the run game very much... only a few handoffs per practice... I don't think that this means an awful lot considering the first point i made about evaluations, but it does leave the door open for criticism from those who aren't as familiar with the players or the day to day news from camp. Hopefully they eat their words this weekend.

Nobody is claiming to know how well the o-line is going to do, they're just making assessments. And the general assessment is that this is almost an entirely new line who has little experience together, and it consists of a few guys who were backups (though I acknowledge this doesn't mean they're not worthy of starting.). From what I've seen from practices, they've seemed capable of stability. Also your rationale works two ways. Let's wait and see our line go up against a proven defense. Maybe it'll collapse on itself.

Hard to evaluate lineman and running backs during camp. I have read several reports from writers who have been at camp saying that we haven't worked on the run game very much... only a few handoffs per practice... I don't think that this means an awful lot considering the first point i made about evaluations, but it does leave the door open for criticism from those who aren't as familiar with the players or the day to day news from camp. Hopefully they eat their words this weekend.

Funny thing is there are posters here who are familiar with the players and day to day news from camp and still critisize this line. Now that you mention it though............it does seem that most the news coming out of camp regarding the Offense is "passing offense" other then goal line situations. Heck we may just throw the ball 50 times a game and the "smash mouth" talk is just a bluff.

Really???

I'm not as pessimistic on the line and the run game as some are, but our offensive line is a huge question mark for this team right now. I don't think it could possibly be worse than it's been the past two seasons, assuming health, but that's not exactly a ringing endorsement (or a guarantee). I will be watching the play of the offensive line with great interest through the preseason.

Really???

I'm not as pessimistic on the line and the run game as some are, but our offensive line is a huge question mark for this team right now. I don't think it could possibly be worse than it's been the past two seasons, assuming health, but that's not exactly a ringing endorsement (or a guarantee). I will be watching the play of the offensive line with great interest through the preseason.

He's right, we won't know how good the line is until opening day since it takes time to gel.

But what we know is that we have one proven player at C, a guy with a lot of potential at LT but who isn't exactly a star yet, and three guys that haven't done much in the league.

That doesn't give a lot of us much confidence, especially when it's their job to protect the franchise.

He's right, we won't know how good the line is until opening day since it takes time to gel.

But what we know is that we have one proven player at C, a guy with a lot of potential at LT but who isn't exactly a star yet, and three guys that haven't done much in the league.

That doesn't give a lot of us much confidence, especially when it's their job to protect the franchise.

This is exactly what I am talking about.

Because the talking heads do not go in depth, they hardly scratch the surface, making me wonder whats the point.

Good point. I get the talking heads making these statements as they probably do not devote the time needed to make these assumptions. They have to talk about all the teams so I can let them slide. Our own fans I do not get. We have seen all the moves and read and researched these players and coachs. No doubt we will be a competitive football team. I just do not understand how some of our fans act as if we may be so bad that we could get the number 1 pick again.

Well said gentlemen. The proof is in the pudding. Chemistry takes time and I have no doubt our squad will gel quickly. The NFL may be a passing league now, but I am cut from the Joe Gibbs and Bill Parcells school of thought. In order to win in the NFL a squad must run, stop the run, block, and have a stellar pass rush rotation especially in November and December when frigid cold and chaotic weather slow all high powered ariel offenses down. Under the radar is a great place to shock and awe the NFL swiftly and quietly...

I just do not understand how some of our fans act as if we may be so bad that we could get the number 1 pick again.

I'm not aware of a single poster who think we will get the number one pick again. We might be in the bottom 5, some people think that.... or we might be in the 6-10 range, I'm one of those people. Or we might be in the 11-15 range, there are some who think that.

But, all that said, there are more people who think we'll be in the playoffs than there are posters who think we'll be picking in the bottom 5. At least, that's my observation of the fans here...

I'm not aware of a single poster who think we will get the number one pick again. We might be in the bottom 5, some people think that.... or we might be in the 6-10 range, I'm one of those people. Or we might be in the 11-15 range, there are some who think that.

But, all that said, there are more people who think we'll be in the playoffs than there are posters who think we'll be picking in the bottom 5. At least, that's my observation of the fans here...

I am sorry you failed to read those posts or that your memory is..............short

This is exactly what I am talking about.

I think that we have a difference of opinion. You feel we have "talent" on the O-line. That's fine, it's your opinion.

I'm saying that based on what we know from their play that three of the starters (Link, McGlynn, and Justice) haven't shown much talent in their careers so far.

Not to say they won't gel as a line, but until we see that people have every right to be concerned about them and the run game. I'm more concerned about their ability to protect Luck.

I think that we have a difference of opinion. You feel we have "talent" on the O-line. That's fine, it's your opinion.

I'm saying that based on what we know from their play that three of the starters (Link, McGlynn, and Justice) haven't shown much talent in their careers so far.

Not to say they won't gel as a line, but until we see that people have every right to be concerned about them and the run game. I'm more concerned about their ability to protect Luck.

We do have talent on the O-line. These linemen did not get to the NFL with no talent. I am sorry they may not have performed as well as you wish but they have talent....................with coaching, chemistry and hardwork they will be fine. It is not hard to improve on what we have seen in the past.

We do have talent on the O-line. These linemen did not get to the NFL with no talent. I am sorry they may not have performed as well as you wish but they have talent....................with coaching, chemistry and hardwork they will be fine. It is not hard to improve on what we have seen in the past.

How much coaching do they need? Justice amd even Mcglynn at 1 point had the same O Line coach that our team had for a few years Howard Mudd (arguably the best O Line coach in the league), if they cant respond to his coaching and establish themselves in 5 years in the league in Mcglynns case and 7 years in the league in Justices

How much coaching do they need? Justice amd even Mcglynn at 1 point had the same O Line coach that our team had for a few years Howard Mudd (arguably the best O Line coach in the league), if they cant respond to his coaching and establish themselves in 5 years in the league in Mcglynns case and 7 years in the league in Justices

Maybe these guys did not fit "Howard Mudds" system or there was a personality conflict or something else. How did Howards O-line do the past few yaers? They did not do very well. Howard like a specific type of line-men and it did not work with the Colts and it has not worked for him with his new team.

Lets Not forget all the Injuries we had up front and the 7 or 8 different starting combinations we had. Not to make excuses but this is a valid reason for thier struggle if you look at what the results from having that many injuries does. First they any group that we had up there never really had any chemistry then you get guys who are not fully familiar with the offense yet and you add communication problems some guys not being on the same page as others. These things are gonna cause break downs obviously so lets see what this offenive line can do if they stay healthy and continue to build thier chemisrty a get on the same page. I think we could be supprised.

Lets Not forget all the Injuries we had up front and the 7 or 8 different starting combinations we had. Not to make excuses but this is a valid reason for thier struggle if you look at what the results from having that many injuries does. First they any group that we had up there never really had any chemistry then you get guys who are not fully familiar with the offense yet and you add communication problems some guys not being on the same page as others. These things are gonna cause break downs obviously so lets see what this offenive line can do if they stay healthy and continue to build thier chemisrty a get on the same page. I think we could be supprised.

We will never convince them..............they are set in their ways..........to each her own.

IMO I just cant see this OL not being vastly improved once they gel,they are much bigger and athletic all the way across,and seem to cary the mental aspect or attitude to get it done,not to mention i think they have Lucks back to a man!Give em the preseason and a couple or 3 games i think you will all be pleasantly supprised if they stay healthy

Maybe these guys did not fit "Howard Mudds" system or there was a personality conflict or something else. How did Howards O-line do the past few yaers? They did not do very well. Howard like a specific type of line-men and it did not work with the Colts and it has not worked for him with his new team.

Actually, the Eagles Oline was stout. Peters, Mathis, Herremans, they've got a strong line. I'm gonna hope that since they had the pieces in order, they were okay with letting Justice go.

Either way though; Justice > Diem, McGlynn > the dynamic duo (Pollak/Richard)

Did some number crunching just for the heck of it, just some random thoughts in my head nothing meaningful really just thinking out loud or this case on the computer and according to the Washington Post our starting lineup for the O Line for Pre Season week 1 has given up 50 sacks in there career or putting them together as a unit 50 sacks in 151 starts combined

Linkenbach 8.5 in 32 total games played in (20 starts)

Castonzo 7.5 in 12 games started

Mcglynn 5.5 in 26 games (18 starts)

Satele 11.5 sacks 78 games played (74 starts)

Justice 17 sacks allowed in 47 games (31 starts)

151 divided 50 sacks =3.02 x 16 game season=48.3 sacks now I know I am just messing around with numbers and this doesn't mean anything but if a season full of sacks like this come to pass then if I am Luck I am saying CHECK PLEASE, Once again I will before I get all sorts of hate messages I was just messing with numbers so here it goeshttp://stats.washing...ats.asp?id=7788

Did some number crunching just for the heck of it, just some random thoughts in my head nothing meaningful really just thinking out loud or this case on the computer and according to the Washington Post our starting lineup for the O Line for Pre Season week 1 has given up 50 sacks in there career or putting them together as a unit 50 sacks in 151 starts combined

Linkenbach 8.5 in 32 total games played in (20 starts)

Castonzo 7.5 in 12 games started

Mcglynn 5.5 in 26 games (18 starts)

Satele 11.5 sacks 78 games played (74 starts)

Justice 17 sacks allowed in 47 games (31 starts)

151 divided 50 sacks =3.02 x 16 game season=48.3 sacks now I know I am just messing around with numbers and this doesn't mean anything but if a season full of sacks like this come to pass then if I am Luck I am saying CHECK PLEASE, Once again I will before I get all sorts of hate messages I was just messing with numbers so here it goeshttp://stats.washing...ats.asp?id=7788

They just do not get it. This is one of the posters I was talking about in my OP. None of that matters. New team, new mates, new coachs and most of all new attitude. Give them a game before you ctitisize.

Okay, it's semantics. Obviously every guy on every team has talent. Ugoh, Link, Pollak, all had talent. But sometime they played like screen doors. So it's the degree of talent we're talking about. I don't think anyone can argue that three of our starting five have yet to show they have a high and consistent degree of talent. You can hope they get better, but so far that's all it is - hope.

So back to your original point - I'm saying people have every right to be concerned about the O line, running game, and pass protection. If you're not concerned at this point, well ...

There was one talking head on the nfl network (don't remember his name) who said he wouldn't be surprised to see Andrew Luck have a rookie year like Matt Ryan. 11-5 and the playoffs. So he must think the O-line and running game are pretty good.

There was one talking head on the nfl network (don't remember his name) who said he wouldn't be surprised to see Andrew Luck have a rookie year like Matt Ryan. 11-5 and the playoffs. So he must think the O-line and running game are pretty good.

Yeah, and there was one guy who said we'd win one game. None of us or them can say how good something is without seeing it. The Eagles were supposed to be SB contenders last year. It never came together for them, and they had a bunch of sure bet stars.

I keep saying we won't know how good the line is until 9/9 and they play in a real game. It's speculation based on past performance until then. What does that tell us?