Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Possibility female ref(s) in NFL this yr

Vltrophy1

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that was the most sexist post yet. 'Men are bigger, stronger, faster..' lmao

Why cant you admit your wrong? I gave facts from the CDC that puts the average man at 5'9. The average weight was 166lbs, but sored to 180lbs but the height never changed. So basically, american men got fatter. Thats all. 160 is not small for a man. A man weighing that would actually be fit, not fat. Believe it or not, not all of the people in the world as as 'large' as some americans.

My hubby is a 6'0 165 lb Marine. You wanna call him 'small' based on his weight... haha

it's not sexist to say men are bigger, stronger, faster....it's just the truth.

Now that was the most sexist post yet. 'Men are bigger, stronger, faster..' lmao

Why cant you admit your wrong? I gave facts from the CDC that puts the average man at 5'9. The average weight was 166lbs, but sored to 180lbs but the height never changed. So basically, american men got fatter. Thats all. 160 is not small for a man. A man weighing that would actually be fit, not fat. Believe it or not, not all of the people in the world as as 'large' as some americans.

My hubby is a 6'0 165 lb Marine. You wanna call him 'small' based on his weight... haha

There's nothing sexist about scientific fact. Men are bigger, faster, and stronger. We have on average a better muscle/fat ratio. Sure there are exceptions to the rule. That chick ruksak posted would probably kick the teeth out of any man on this message board, and she could easily handle being a ref. I'll say this....I'm 5'11", and I consider myself to be a relatively short guy. There are plenty of guys that are shorter than me, and they would definitely be on the small side of the equation. I weigh 200 lbs, and have a healthy 10% body fat. I am by no definition 'fat'. If I weighed 165 lbs, I would be in the red as far as body fat percentage.....not a very healthy weight, but I guess I'd be in the record books. You're making some large generalizations.....I am too I guess, but one thing is certain......a 5'8" 160 lb gal, would be miniscule compared to even the smallest of football players. MJD would truck you out of your shoes, and they would cart you off the field. If you don't believe me, you are seriously underestimating the size and power of the guys in the NFL.

There's nothing sexist about scientific fact. Men are bigger, faster, and stronger. We have on average a better muscle/fat ratio. Sure there are exceptions to the rule. That chick ruksak posted would probably kick the teeth out of any man on this message board, and she could easily handle being a ref. I'll say this....I'm 5'11", and I consider myself to be a relatively short guy. There are plenty of guys that are shorter than me, and they would definitely be on the small side of the equation. I weigh 200 lbs, and have a healthy 10% body fat. I am by no definition 'fat'. If I weighed 165 lbs, I would be in the red as far as body fat percentage.....not a very healthy weight, but I guess I'd be in the record books. You're making some large generalizations.....I am too I guess, but one thing is certain......a 5'8" 160 lb gal, would be miniscule compared to even the smallest of football players. MJD would truck you out of your shoes, and they would cart you off the field. If you don't believe me, you are seriously underestimating the size and power of the guys in the NFL.

The refs don't compete against the players. It's a bad thing for any ref to get hit by an NFL player during a play, but it rarely happens. And it probably never happens for a line judge or a back judge.

I don't think we should be too worried about an NFL player running into a female ref.

What about the CDC average height/weight ratio do you guys not understand? Im making a scientific point and your just giving an opinion on what 'you' 'think' is an average size. Cant argue with the facts given by the CDC. Your welcome to think what you want, but the fact is, thats the average size of the american male sorry, it just is. You may not want to agree, but thats what it is.

Now take a smaller, quicker man/woman that has marital arts training. I'll take them over buffness personally.

He/She will lay a lickin down.

I dont want to get in an argument about opinions. I gave facts. I'm done.

What about the CDC average height/weight ratio do you guys not understand? Im making a scientific point and your just giving an opinion on what 'you' 'think' is an average size. Cant argue with the facts given by the CDC. Your welcome to think what you want, but the fact is, thats the average size of the american male sorry, it just is. You may not want to agree, but thats what it is.

Now take a smaller, quicker man/woman that has marital arts training. I'll take them over buffness personally.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/343108-facts-about-height-weight-in-men/

The average American man is slightly over 5 feet 9 inches tall and weighs about 190 lb., according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's 2002 examination of about 4,300 men.

The average height and weight of an American male really says nothing about the level of fitness. But the fact that you're an inch shorter and 30 pounds lighter than the average male does indicate that you're the size of a small man. We can argue the reasons why the weight has increased, but that doesn't change the numbers.

it's well known the average american male is 5'9 and fat....usa#1

http://www.nytimes.c...ball/19ref.html --"Mannings The Man."

"This gal broke the barrier for female football refs." --"Manning The Man."

"If a woman can do the job and is willing to take the risks and QUALIFIES without any special treatment - I have no problem with it. NO special terms or conditions. NO "affirmative action" or quotas and I'm good with it."--Girlzarefanstoo.

[For some reason, the multiquote feature seems to be malfuctioning.]

Anyway, I love women who are trend setters and Frederick Jackson Turner-istic in their drive, determination, and will. Society needs to see female zebras on the football field. No special treatment. Earn your stripes fair and square. It makes reaching that rare plateau of professional officiating that much more satisfying to every zebra that reaches that zenith and pinnacle of excellence IMO. Give female referees a legitimate shot please NFL powers that be. They certainly deserve it.

The average male is stronger than the average female. I mean, that's not being sexist or anything. It's the way we're supposed to be made.

Vance,

I will acknowledge that the military has been known to modify stipulations regarding how much weight a soldier is allowed to carry based on their body chemistry and where their natural strength lies. Men usually get their strength from their shoulders and upper body while women on average typically get their legs and lower body. Naturally, there is an exception to every rule of course.

I believe a suitable medium can be found between strength, endurance, protection, and making the correct call on the field of play. That is that matters anyway--Getting the call right IMO.

Vance,

I will acknowledge that the military has been known to modify stipulations regarding how much weight a soldier is allowed to carry based on their body chemistry and where their natural strength lies. Men usually get their strength from their shoulders and upper body while women on average typically get their legs and lower body. Naturally, there is an exception to every rule of course.

I believe a suitable medium can be found between strength, endurance, protection, and making the correct call on the field of play. That is that matters anyway--Getting the call right IMO.

My post had nothing to do with refereeing. Just seemed like there was a debate going on about something fairly black and white.

As I stated before I don't have a problem with females calling the game.

My post had nothing to do with refereeing. Just seemed like there was a debate going on about something fairly black and white.

As I stated before I don't have a problem with females calling the game.

Sorry Vance if i misinterpreted you. My mistake. I apologize my friend. I hope female zebras will become commonplace in the NFL, but there will be a measured amount of resistance to this possible seed change I'm sure. Sexism does not just disappear overnight, but give it some time and people tend to come around and see the light. I certainly do not put you in this small minded crowd Vance.

Not all women are makeup wearing, purse loving, shoe buying girlies.

Of course you're not.

(I would use that hiding-under-a-chair smiley, but I think I'm gonna need something more sturdy than a chair to hide under. Actually, a chair would be way to handy to bludgeon me with.)

What about when that time of the month comes? Will more flags be thrown? Just kidding ladies. I know I pushed a few buttons. I can only speak for me but I'm sure I'm not the only guy who thought of it. Just the first to say it. IF there is a woman/women who are willing to work there way into the NFL I can deal w/it better than just picking a smart lady out of the blue. I say make'm earn it just like the guys. Equal rights means taking the same road. Even if it takes her 3-5+ yrs to get there.

Of course you're not.

(I would use that hiding-under-a-chair smiley, but I think I'm gonna need something more sturdy than a chair to hide under. Actually, a chair would be way to handy to bludgeon me with.)

Ok, I am a shoe guru.. but its Cowboy boots, Danner Pronghorns, and vibram 5 finger hoarder. :lol:

Gavin,

Im gonna take a stab at um' 1) wrestling.. eww 2) idk that one.

I dont agree with women wrestling men on the mat. Too much room for possible groping. Yuck.

I didnt like wrestling men in LE on the mats, but had to for a challenge. None of the women could get me down, so i had to wrestle the men. It was all out too. Got some body slams, but never got pinned. It was a little awkward.

I think i remember reading about a female kicker that played soccer originally that kicked for a college was harassed by fellow players. Make no mistake, it will take a special kinda gal to break the mold. One that wont take any guff, stand strong, and let folks know she is a professional.

Hey Im not not the spandex wearing hairy men wrestling type either like I was when I was a kid and I believe women can and should be able to do darn near whatver they want, But I believe they should want to do it for themselves and not for women everywhere or womens rights, thats what I am getting at, I believe women can do darn near anything a man can do, only 1 thing I dont agree with and thats putting a woman out on the front lines in war, why? well like I said a woman can physically and mentally do almost anything a man can do so it has nothing to do with that, but it has EVRYTHING to do with what a man CANT DO and that be the bearer and giver of lives, Hope that clarifies my stance

Of course you're not.

Hmmmm.....I'm not sure what happened. There is a sentence missing from this that kind of ruins the joke. (Maybe for my own good.) At the end of the first line, it was supposed to say...

What about when that time of the month comes? Will more flags be thrown? Just kidding ladies. I know I pushed a few buttons. I can only speak for me but I'm sure I'm not the only guy who thought of it. Just the first to say it. IF there is a woman/women who are willing to work there way into the NFL I can deal w/it better than just picking a smart lady out of the blue. I say make'm earn it just like the guys. Equal rights means taking the same road. Even if it takes her 3-5+ yrs to get there.
Hey Im not not the spandex wearing hairy men wrestling type either like I was when I was a kid and I believe women can and should be able to do darn near whatver they want, But I believe they should want to do it for themselves and not for women everywhere or womens rights, thats what I am getting at, I believe women can do darn near anything a man can do, only 1 thing I dont agree with and thats putting a woman out on the front lines in war, why? well like I said a woman can physically and mentally do almost anything a man can do so it has nothing to do with that, but it has EVRYTHING to do with what a man CANT DO and that be the bearer and giver of lives, Hope that clarifies my stance

Vltrophy1 and Gavin, I do respect both of you as men for having the courage of your convictions and speaking your mind despite the fact that many people might view your point of view in a controversial and unflattering light. You believe what you believe and you refuse to run away from your perspective. I respect that kind of courage tremendously gentlemen. I applaud you both for your candor, truthfulness, and consistency. Agreeing or disagreeing with your stance is not the issue here; remaining strong and steadfast in your belief system is. I admire that.

JC....

I'll take one last shot at this, and then, the floor is yours.... I'm about spent on this issue....

Women are raised playing softball... so they might want to become a baseball umpire. It's part of the culture.

Women are raised playing basketball... so they might want to become a basketball ref. Part of the culture.

But roughly 99.9 percent of women (more?) don't play football, so there isn't as much culture for them to gravitate to, to want to go on and become an NFL ref.

I'm not worried that anyone is conspiring to keep them from becoming an NFL referee. Too much downside from a possible lawsuit.

I think the obstacles are more cultural and less sexism. I'm not worried what one poster here, or 10 posters here say or want...

But, will a woman have the desire to go the distance to become an NFL ref? Perhaps. I don't rule it out.

But it's a long, difficult road. While you're carving out your real-life job, you also start from the bottom... be a ref in a park league. Then Pop Warner... then HS football... then low level college. then mid-level, finally higher level college. And all of that takes decades of work and not making much money to boot... all the while a woman has her primary job -- whatever that is -- and perhaps on top of that, being a wife and mom. Lots of twists and turns in that road.

Remember, an NFL ref is typically in their 40's or 50's before making it to the Big Time. Does someone who didn't play the sport as a child, and so may not have it in their blood the way they might have the passion for another sport that they did play, want to make all the sacrifices necessary. All those Friday and Saturday nights. The days of work missed traveling to and from games. All for little money and a fair amount of grief. All in the hope that someday, you **may** get invited into the NFL.

I view all of this as more cultural obstacles rather than sexism barriers to overcome.

That's my view.... reasonable people can reasonably disagree.

Hope this clarifies....

The floor is yours, JC..... I'm out.

I see you stance on that. I have to giggle though, the US is one of the only big nations that doesnt use women as snipers. Funny thing is, and dont take offense to this cause this is just what the Germans said, they use women as snipers more often due to the 'nesting' drive women have. I was taught they get a nesting vibe going when sniping enemy targets. It slows their heart rate, breathing, and get cold blooded. Feel no remorse for 'protecting the nest'. Apparantly its a psychological drive.

Got me thinking, no wonder I have to drag my hubby outta the tent to go hunt and push him all day. haha Anyway, it was a fun debate.

I know woman would do a great job calling the game, I'm sure they'd be great. My only real concern is....the NFL football field is so busy and cluttered as it is, where the heck are thy going to put a kitchen?

And I'd have no idea where they would put the makeup kit. And lip gloss, the tin of altoids...the list goes on.

<br />And I'd have no idea where they would put the makeup kit. And lip gloss, the tin of altoids...the list goes on.
she's gonna hafta get one of those waist satchels as she won't be able to carry her purse. But seriously if they feel it's something they desire & set a goal to do then do it. Just don't expect to be favored b/c ur a female. As a matter of fact a women will probably have to work twice as hard just to get about 1/2 the respect since it is a mans game.

Lets keep an open mind. Referee striped bikinis? :clap:

bw1208.jpg

bw1124.jpg

I think we'd see a huge drop off in offense and completed passes. And records in sacks and interceptions. :eek:

Edited by Nadine
inappropriate picture

Lets keep an open mind. Referee striped bikinis? :clap:

bw1208.jpg

bw1124.jpg

That definitely would increase ratings and no guys would notice when they made a bad call. I know I would never miss a game. :applause:

In all seriousness it does not matter if it is women or men being replacement refs. The referring will dramatically go down hill. The NFL will not be getting the best refs from the Pac 12, Big 10, SEC, or Big 12. Those conferences have all ready locked their best up and basically said if you leave you do not have a job to come back to. They are going to get the cast offs from those leagues, probably some division II refs and high school refs.

Edited by Nadine
inappropriate picture

I mean no offense what so ever. IMO there should be no females refs in the NFL. Yes the game has been toned down some but even some of the best refs get knocked on their butt by 250lbs +. I'm interested in the opinions of others especially those of the female gender. B/c if they allow this & she gets knocked on her butt by accident she has no right to complain.

I don't think it's necessary to make a gender based rule here. The physical demands of the job are high but if there is a woman out there who can cut it, she should.

Due to the relative size of a particular muscle group, I was told by my dear joking grandpa 'I didnt know they could stack shizzle that high with that much definition' haha

Thunder thighs, bubble butt, hippo hips, ect.. haha gotta love family huh.

Have you seen those weight lifters in the Olympics. That gal in the clean/jerk freakin buff.

.....argh....men....what's wrong with us? Why ?

lol...I mean, it's no wonder woman take us down a few pegs with every given opportunity. We are truly sick.

that would be the pot calling the kettle black. women actually lined up and paid for magic mike. somebody should have told them real porn is free on the interwebs.