Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign DT Jason Shirley

FightLikeSin

Ah but he is 6'5" 345 perhaps that means someone is on the way out? Not sure just a guess

He could be NT depth, he could be OL depth. I remember watching him on Hard Knocks - Bengals back in the day (09' maybe?). They moved him to OL and dominated in camp. But...I didn't hear much rumble about him when the season started so I don't know what to make of him for sure.

" I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley"

Darn! Drat!! And Double Drat!!!!

You beat me to it, Boiler Colt! Great minds think alike... the moment I saw Shirley was the last name, I tried to pounce..... but, noooooooo, you got there first!! aaaahhhhhhhhhhhh!!

You can bet good money he's heard that joke over and over and over again...

Oh well... fun name... maybe he'll last a while and will be an interesting player to watch. Or not.

according to Jim Irsay via twitter.

" @JimIrsay - We have a roster move today...we signed free agent defensive tackle Jason Shirley."

Shirley is formerly of the Panthers/Bengals. Played both DT and OL...interesting.

http://www.nfl.com/p...ey/4307/profile

Only 7 games under his belt.

HMMMM! Since all the good jokes are taken....Curtis Painter tweeted the Ravens Signed Shirley's best friend Nosaj LaVerne! :)

I guess it does not hurt to have size a some versatility!!!

He could be NT depth, he could be OL depth. I remember watching him on Hard Knocks - Bengals back in the day (09' maybe?). They moved him to OL and dominated in camp. But...I didn't hear much rumble about him when the season started so I don't know what to make of him for sure.

I just happened to switch by a rerun of that episode and was wondering what ever happened to him. Maybe Grigs was watching that night too!

Sounds like a low risk, big body pickup. If nothing else, he may add some depth. I do however like that we are going after some big bodies for a change.

Agreed. We are becoming a more physical team up front in the trenches on both sides of the ball which is a plus.

according to Jim Irsay via twitter.

" @JimIrsay - We have a roster move today...we signed free agent defensive tackle Jason Shirley."

Shirley is formerly of the Panthers/Bengals. Played both DT and OL...interesting.

http://www.nfl.com/p...ey/4307/profile

Only 7 games under his belt.

Is it fair to say that guys who play both offensive line AND defensive line in the NFL

..arent very good at either?

Is it fair to say that guys who play both offensive line AND defensive line in the NFL

..arent very good at either?

not necessarily. you could say they are good at both, not great at one. In this case, they (bengals) had injuries on the O-line, the coaches talked and asked if Shirley would play OT. He did and he seemed to do pretty well in camp. Again...haven't seen much of him, so i'm in the dark. Either way...I'm not expecting any blockbuster signings at this point outside of Luck/Fleener/Allen.

Hmm I dont know, he is strong at the point of attack and does get good penetration, he looks impressive to me, better then anything we had last year at the position. Here is a bit more on him http://www.nfl.com/d...shirley?id=4307

No offense but those were preseason games in the late 3rd and 4th quarter when the scrubs are playing. Color me not impressed.

No offense but those were preseason games in the late 3rd and 4th quarter when the scrubs are playing. Color me not impressed.

I agree but at the same time its not like we are loaded with proven talent at Nose Tackle

Agreed...but I hardly think this is even newsworthy let alone a reason to be happy or excited.

True but none of our Defensive Tackles have been news worthy in the last oh I'd say 14 plus years now since we had Siragusa, But I do like the potential of some of these guys, Anunoby and Chapman, But I think the signing is more of an indication of someone else being on there way out. stocking one position so as not to be forced to Cut from another and if that is the case then it will likely be Wide Receiver or Running Back, we have 11 wide receivers and 6 running backs neither of which I would say is a huge need which makes some of them expendable, Safety can be another one, it may be a need but not a glaring need at this point. Just by looking at the list and going off of production or lack there of I can form my own opinions on a few that may be on there way out soon

True but none of our Defensive Tackles have been news worthy in the last oh I'd say 14 plus years now since we had Siragusa, But I do like the potential of some of these guys, Anunoby and Chapman, But I think the signing is more of an indication of someone else being on there way out. stocking one position so as not to be forced to Cut from another and if that is the case then it will likely be Wide Receiver or Running Back, we have 11 wide receivers and 6 running backs neither of which I would say is a huge need which makes some of them expendable, Safety can be another one, it may be a need but not a glaring need at this point. Just by looking at the list and going off of production or lack there of I can form my own opinions on a few that may be on there way out soon

Oh I agree..I like Chapman...for where we got him in the draft I think he could be a steal. Maybe not a dominate player but I feel he will be a great contributor. As for signing this guy. I think it has to do with the fact we have spaces available and with Chapman still not playing we need some guys for reps. I imagine he will still be cut in the long run. Just like when we added a couple QBs early on. Luck and our other draft pick weren't in camp and we need guys to keep practice running smoothly. I believe this is just another instance of that.

Hmm I dont know, he is strong at the point of attack and does get good penetration, he looks impressive to me, better then anything we had last year at the position. Here is a bit more on him http://www.nfl.com/d...shirley?id=4307

I'm not so sure. Do you notice that both of those games are in the 4th quarter and the Bengals are getting blown out and they have the 2nd and third stringers in the game. Kind of hard to tell in those situations.

I'm not so sure. Do you notice that both of those games are in the 4th quarter and the Bengals are getting blown out and they have the 2nd and third stringers in the game. Kind of hard to tell in those situations.

yeah but I cant tell if he is going against the starting O Linemen or not, even in games that are out of reach O Linemen are kept in the game in most cases I think

Oh I agree..I like Chapman...for where we got him in the draft I think he could be a steal. Maybe not a dominate player but I feel he will be a great contributor. As for signing this guy. I think it has to do with the fact we have spaces available and with Chapman still not playing we need some guys for reps. I imagine he will still be cut in the long run. Just like when we added a couple QBs early on. Luck and our other draft pick weren't in camp and we need guys to keep practice running smoothly. I believe this is just another instance of that.

If Chapman gets to 100%, I think he has star potential. The only question about him is whether his knee will be well, and whether his conditioning will allow him to stay on the field right away.

Likely when we are in the 4-3 he will play defensive tackle and if he does somehow make it to the season on the roster then I expect he will get time (But this likely isnt a move to actually get a player for depth down the line Im sure, I believe its more of a camp body at a position where we can load up on so down the road we can cut players from positions that have the most depth while keeping the most talented players, In other words adding players at one position with not much intention to keep them so we can Cut from that position later while still being able to keep our best talent if that makes sense. it sounded right in my head

If Chapman gets to 100%, I think he has star potential. The only question about him is whether his knee will be well, and whether his conditioning will allow him to stay on the field right away.

I hope they take him along slowly. The kid was a warrior at Bama, not so much as a difference maker, but as a solid player who would not let injury shelve him.

We may need to temper some of that attitude for his own good. He doesn't help if he's on IR. Great draft pick!

As far as Shirley, he fits into the same category as a lot of our new players. If they've bounced around that much, there's usually a pretty good reason. Can't hurt to see what he has in camp though.

I hope they take him along slowly. The kid was a warrior at Bama, not so much as a difference maker, but as a solid player who would not let injury shelve him.

We may need to temper some of that attitude for his own good. He doesn't help if he's on IR. Great draft pick!

As far as Shirley, he fits into the same category as a lot of our new players. If they've bounced around that much, there's usually a pretty good reason. Can't hurt to see what he has in camp though.

I agree 100% and especially with your accessment of most our new players. The ONE and only thing I think is positive in all this is that I believe our coaching staff with the exception of losing Tom Moore and Howard Mudd is 100 times better than what we have had here in the past. I truely believe a lot of draft picks and players that failed to develop is a great deal responsible because of the coaching staff. One thing that we have been able to do is find OL and WR that are passable or make something of them...and I believe a great deal of that responsibility goes to PM for getting the ball out early and his work on making sure the WRs ran crisp, timed routes. Elsewhere I can't just blame Polian for drafting poorly...but the coaches for not helping these guys make something of themselves. I truely believe the coaches and staff we have now will do a much better job in bringing players along...or finding something in them....and we need A LOT of that with a team full of CASTOFFS.