Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Matt Barkley or RGIII?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82a9df15/article/matt-barkley-rg3-would-have-been-drafted-after-me?module=HP11_headline_stack

Matt Barkley believed he would have been drafted ahead of RGIII if he came out for this years draft.

My first thought when I read this was:

Matt Barkley must think highly of Andrew Luck. Matt thinks enough of himself to think he's better than RGIII, but he still thinks Luck would have been drafted #1.

I see this as a compliment to Andrew Luck.

Anyone else think so?

http://www.nfl.com/n..._headline_stack

Matt Barkley believed he would have been drafted ahead of RGIII if he came out for this years draft.

My first thought when I read this was:

Matt Barkley must think highly of Andrew Luck. Matt thinks enough of himself to think he's better than RGIII, but he still thinks Luck would have been drafted #1.

I see this as a compliment to Andrew Luck.

Anyone else think so?

Barkley thinks hes better than RG3 and I think im next to win American idol lmao

I didn't see any compliment toward Luck in this....

But I don't think Barkley is right. I think he would have been top-5... I think the Browns could have taken him... but I think it's been observed by many who cover the NFL that RG3 is such a good fit in the Shannahan system, that he's just the right guy for the right team.

That's doesn't necessarily make him better. Only the right choice.

We may all think otherwise in 6 months. We'll see how Barkley does this year. He's primed for a great season.

I agree with Barkley that he would have been picked before RGIII. The Redskins moved up to draft RGII, all the way up to the second spot. Instead of moving up to the second spot to draft RGIII, they would've moved to the third spot. I have watched Luck, Barkley, and RGIII and both Luck and Barkley have been asked to consistantly make harder throws. I have noticed that a very high percentage of RGIII's throws have been behind or within 3-yards of the line of scrimmage. Much more than the other two QB's. It's easy to have a high completion percentage when you are asked to throw the ball to a standing wide receiver in the backfield. RGIII has a great deep ball, but if I were to compare him to Luck or Barkley, he would finish third.

idk. usc hasnt really had good qbs come out. palmer is average, leinart is a bust, sanchez is trash.

True, but those were all Pete Carroll products. Barkley is a Lane Kiffin product. Kiffin is more of an offensive coach, while Carroll's background is in the defensive secondary.

True, but those were all Pete Carroll products. Barkley is a Lane Kiffin product. Kiffin is more of an offensive coach, while Carroll's background is in the defensive secondary.

i guess we'll find out next year when the dolphins take him haha

• 4 weeks later...

"I had confidence that I was going to go high," Barkley said on The Dan Patrick Show. "It wasn't really a question of that, as to why I came back"

I didnt see the Dan Patrick Show so I dont know every word that was said, but if he did say that then I agree with him but if he DID NOT say that then the guy who wrote this article who used the above quote to draw that conclusion lost alot of if not all credibilty in my opinion. Once again if he said that then fine but using that quote as a means of saying that he did is at the very least bad journalism and possibly a flat out lie, Personally I dont see Mat saying that but he could I suppose

Long term I would take Barkley as my quarterback but short term I'd easily take RGIII.

Long term i would also DEFINITELY take Barkley ahead of RGIII....there were even a couple NFL Scouts who said that they believe he will have a better career than Luck (though i'd take Luck over Barkley without any hesitation) ...

But just curious why you'd "easily" take RGIII short term? I think that RGIII is more of a project that will struggle a LOT in the short term in the NFL... I'm not knocking your opinion, just curious why you feel that way?

"I had confidence that I was going to go high," Barkley said on The Dan Patrick Show. "It wasn't really a question of that, as to why I came back"

I didnt see the Dan Patrick Show so I dont know every word that was said, but if he did say that then I agree with him but if he DID NOT say that then the guy who wrote this article who used the above quote to draw that conclusion lost alot of if not all credibilty in my opinion. Once again if he said that then fine but using that quote as a means of saying that he did is at the very least bad journalism and possibly a flat out lie, Personally I dont see Mat saying that but he could I suppose

I'm sure Barkley is not losing that much money returning to the Trojans. Heck he may even take a pay cut when he goes to the NFL.

• 2 weeks later...

If Barkley would have came out, who knows what the Skins would have done. They probably don't trade away their future for the 2nd pick. They may have traded to the 3rd spot where they still would have had a chance at either QB considering I doubt St. Louis would have drafted a QB. With that said, Im not a fan of either one of them. Barkley is undersized and don't have a strong arm, and RG3 is all hype IMO, until proven otherwise.

I don't overly excited about a QB that was projected to be a project WR before his final yr. in college. I honestly think that if Barkley would have came out, he probably would have been the 2nd QB off the board before RG3, but who knows. The Skins were enamored with RG3 and they certainly don't have a history of making the best personal decisions, but since Barkley wasn't there they were sort of forced into picking next logical choice.