Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Adam Vinatieri could be a potential cap casualty.

CjMcGirt23

I guess it's possible but usually when teams rebuild, kickers are not part of that equation, especially when a) the team has plenty of cap space for the kicker and b) the redzone is where a rookie is going to struggle the most so it would make sense to have a good, clutch kicker.

My feelings are with a greater emphasis on special teams and an attacking defense, having a HOF kicker on your roster could be the difference in 2 or three wins alone. Luck gets us across the 50 we have AV for 'money kicks,' and if a 60 yarder needs made with 3 seconds remaining we give McAfee a shot.

IMO Adam Vinitieri is safe unless he has lost his game. My feeling is he has not.

My feelings are with a greater emphasis on special teams and an attacking defense, having a HOF kicker on your roster could be the difference in 2 or three wins alone. Luck gets us across the 50 we have AV for 'money kicks,' and if a 60 yarder needs made with 3 seconds remaining we give McAfee a shot.

IMO Adam Vinitieri is safe unless he has lost his game. My feeling is he has not.

I couldn't agree more!

When was the last "clutch" FG Vinny made? I can't remember.

Playoff game against the Jets, 2010. Should have been the game winner. And it was a deep one, 50 yards.

Made two 50+ kicks last year, and was 10-13 from 40+. Still a good kicker. I'd rather have him than not. Kind of a high cap hit this year and next, but not outrageous.

Nothing is every 100% certain.... but I think Vinny is 99% safe. The person doing the story simply saw one of the few large numbers on the payroll and said, he's a possible casualty.

Here's why I think he's not:

1. The team has publicly stressed we are not rebuilding. Can't cut a premium kicker when you can afford him. Period.

2. You can't cut a premium kicker when several games during the season will likely come down to a made or missed FG.

A kicker can be like a closer in baseball. Someone has to be able to pitch the 9th and get the save. Who better than Adam.

3. Have the Colts gone out and invested in any other kicker? Anyone making a splash? Not that we've heard about.

4. The story says 70 players are at the lowest possible salary. I realize that includes roughly 30-35 players who won't be on the final roster, but the point is we do have some salary cap space for a good player. And AV is a good and important player.

5. His salary is already budgeted/factored. We already had a massive salary cap cut. If we were going to cut AV wouldn't it have been better to do it in Feb/March when it would have given us more salary cap room to sign another FA or two? If we didn't do it then, why now?

I realize the writer had to pick somebody's name. And technically anything is possible. I just don't think it's likely -- at all.

Think Adam Vinatieri is safe. Quite safe. Just my :2c: OK, perhaps more like 4 cents! :thmup:

I realize the writer had to pick somebody's name. And technically anything is possible. I just don't think it's likely -- at all.

Probably just didn't want to pick the obvious Freeney again, since that's been done ad nauseum. We talked about Vinatieri on this board early this offseason, and I thought then as I do now, that a good veteran kicker isn't someone you get rid of if you don't have to.

Before last season, I was fine with letting him walk in free agency. But we resigned him, and he's still making kicks, so keep him until he's not making kicks anymore, or until his contract expires.

Playoff game against the Jets, 2010. Should have been the game winner. And it was a deep one, 50 yards.

Made two 50+ kicks last year, and was 10-13 from 40+. Still a good kicker. I'd rather have him than not. Kind of a high cap hit this year and next, but not outrageous.

Thanks. I was racking my brain and just couldn't come up with anything.

Edit. Now that I'm thinking, I know why I forgot that. "Time out, Indianapolis". Came about 30sec later.........

Thanks. I was racking my brain and just couldn't come up with anything.

Edit. Now that I'm thinking, I know why I forgot that. "Time out, Indianapolis". Came about 30sec later.........

Yeah, makes sense. Plus, he was hurt in 2009, and had a substandard year in 2008. Then there was the miss against San Diego in 2007. He's got some lowlights on his resume, that's for sure. But he's been pretty good the past two seasons.

Well the last article implied we would have around 7 million in cap space after all our signings so I don't understand why would cut him. If we were right up against the cap I would say there would be a much greater chance and reason. A team that is rebuilding and likely not in the playoff hunt would likely let a guy of his reputation go play for a team with a chance and also since he is older and probably in his last contract go ahead and start auditioning replacements. Would be nice to have a kicker in here getting those opportunities to win/lose games now when we are not in contention then to hire one in a year or two and figure out he can't hack it and miss out on the playoffs.

If you haven't realized in the past few years AV has been missing more and kicking shorter than he ever has in his career. It would make sense to go ahead and let Pat take over because he can boom it 58 yards..

I read the article and once again, I wonder why anyone pays any attention to these writers. Several things stand out:

1. This is just some hack trying to make a prediction that, if it comes true, he can thump his chest and say, "See how much I know!"

2. If Vinatieri does not get cut, no one will remember this article and hold the author accountable, so it means nothing or less than that.

3. The "cap" bloodletting is over for this year. We have plenty of money to sign the rookies and will not be going into the free agent market for significant improvement this year.

4. In 2013, we will have an estimated $43 million in cap space so his contract creates no problems for next year.

5. For those who want to see Pat as our place kicker, when did he last win a game for us with a field goal? Who will hold for him or are we going to see the old drop kick? Who will punt for us? His role as a placekicker is purely for emergencies.

If you haven't realized in the past few years AV has been missing more and kicking shorter than he ever has in his career. It would make sense to go ahead and let Pat take over because he can boom it 58 yards..

he was 85% last year and 93% in 2010. His career average is 83%. I would say he has been just as good as ever

I read the article and once again, I wonder why anyone pays any attention to these writers. Several things stand out:

1. This is just some hack trying to make a prediction that, if it comes true, he can thump his chest and say, "See how much I know!"

2. If Vinatieri does not get cut, no one will remember this article and hold the author accountable, so it means nothing or less than that.

3. The "cap" bloodletting is over for this year. We have plenty of money to sign the rookies and will not be going into the free agent market for significant improvement this year.

4. In 2013, we will have an estimated $43 million in cap space so his contract creates no problems for next year.

5. For those who want to see Pat as our place kicker, when did he last win a game for us with a field goal? Who will hold for him or are we going to see the old drop kick? Who will punt for us? His role as a placekicker is purely for emergencies.

I think after Mac will pull double duty at some point. Maybe not here, but somewhere. Its what he really wants to do.

I'm sure he'd love to play but the man has 4 rings. Retire & enjoy life. He's probably about 35.

That is the other side of the coin I suppose Vltrophy1. Not too many kickers in the NFL HOF, but "Golden Foot" Adam Vinatieri will get a yellow, bumble bee jacket eventually as you suggest.

I'm comfortable with Adam's fate either way. He can't boot the pigskin forever now can he? I love the guy, but at some point we need to groom his replacement IMO.

Dont see why we would cut a kicker, sure we can try Mcafee but what if Mcafee dont work out at kicker, I dont feel like potentially having to draft a kicker because we cut one of the best just to see if Mcafee will work out, Vinatieri is cheap so keep him "

and hardly fits in with what is quite clearly a rebuilding season in Indianapolis" that gave me quite a chuckle, HES A KICKER, how does he NOT fit in? going to have to do better then age given Vinatieri's track record and him being so cheap

Vinny's actually been at the top of his game the last couple years....at least from my perspective. His leg strength seems to be at an all-time high. After we won the SB, he seemed to have a couple down years, but he has since come back better than ever.

That said, I do think 2 mil is a little steep for a kicker....especially when Patty Mac could do his job just as effectively and only count as one player against the roster at two positions. Although, now that I think about it, I believe the NFL requires both a punter and a kicker on the roster.

Where is everyone getting that Mcafee can suddenly kick field goals? did he kick any in a game situation? did he kick any to win Super Bowls? From what I see on NFL.com he hasn't, sure we can cut Vinatieri but what if Mcafee dont work out? I dont feel like having to draft a kicker, just keep him and pick one up thats younger in free agency thats if you think he cant do his job

Where is everyone getting that Mcafee can suddenly kick field goals? did he kick any in a game situation? did he kick any to win Super Bowls? From what I see on NFL.com he hasn't, sure we can cut Vinatieri but what if Mcafee dont work out? I dont feel like having to draft a kicker, just keep him and pick one up thats younger in free agency thats if you think he cant do his job

If I'm not mistaken, McAfee has been clocked at kicking 60+ yarders. If he can make those, he can make 30 yarders too.

1. Just because you don't like or agree with the writer, doesn't make him a hack. Remember, that writer has a boss (editor) who likely assigns him that story. He's got to write something.

2. He didn't predict AV ***WILL*** be cut, he said he **could** be cut. Big, big difference. And, he could be.

Otherwise...

-- Agree that the "cap" bloodletting is over.

-- Agree that next year's cap room means he should be OK next year as well.

-- Not sure where all the McAfee for Kicker mania is coming from, but I suspect AV will be our guy for the remainder of his contract.

-- Will he re-work the deal at some point? Dunno.

He was a kicker in college. Could have been drafted by a different team that would have used him as a kicker. I agree that he's not proven in the NFL, but it's obvious that he can kick.

He was a kicker in college. Could have been drafted by a different team that would have used him as a kicker. I agree that he's not proven in the NFL, but it's obvious that he can kick.

well since he was a kicker in college we can try him but the trial isnt worth cutting Vinatieri at this point, I just looked he was 58 of 79 in college for 73.4 percent, thats pretty low, I cant find Vinatieris college stats but they have to be much higher then that

Just say NO! WRONG! Pat can kick the long ones only, and needs to improve his directional punting.

I realize......who are you? ????? What are YOU thinking?

I don't think it will happen unless something unforeseen happens like Adam gets to camp and it's clear he's just lost it. Frankly I think if they were going to cut him for his contract they would have done it when they cut everyone else to make cap space going forward. I don't see the logic to wait to cut him and take a bit of a cap hit next year in a year where you have tried to free up cap space. Also if you cut him you are going to have to replace him on the roster some how even if it is just to bring in a guy to hold. Again that doesn't make sense since it's after the draft and after a good chunk of free agency.

McAfee could do both kicking and punting but you are really going to wear down his leg if you do that over an extended period of time as you'll add kickoffs into that as well. Also McAfee isn't automatic as a kicker especially in big situations. He had two chances to send WV to the National Title game in college and missed both kicks. He was only 58 of 79 in his college career or just 73%. Even if we do go that route we would have to find a new holder which wouldn't be the hardest thing in the world just one more person you have to change during the off-season.