Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What do you like and dislike about what our colts have done so far this offseason?

colts1993

Aside from the obvious changes, I like the way we're moving away from injured or injury prone players.

It seems like our team has had more than their share of injuries in the past. It will be interesting to see if this trend continues.

I'm leaving out the Manning issue, for obvious reasons.

I like practically everything we've done this offseason. I like the GM choice, the head coach, the offensive coordinator, the free agency moves, the draft, the trades leading up to the draft (Drew Stanton, Winston Justice), the UDFAs, etc.

The only thing I can think of that I'm not sold on is the defensive coordinator, and I'm not too concerned about that choice because the head coach is a defensive coach. I expect Pagano and Manusky to balance each other out very well.

I like the coaching moves, with the exception of keeping Clyde Christianson

I like the defesnive line moves, the fact that they are getting bigger

I like how we appear to be trying to get meaner and more physical on the offensive line

I dont like our Corner situation

I dont like that we will have to rely on a couple of guys that we brought in that have had injury issues in the past

I like what I've seen so far from our new GM and Head Coach.

I like that we resigned Wayne and Mathis

I like that Grigs made the appropriate roster moves to put us in a much better salary position for next year.

I like that we brought in players familiar to the new coaches schemes

I like that we drafted Luck and some pretty solid offensive talent

I like that Grigs seems to truly want to form the best team possible, bringing in competition for roster spots.

I dislike losing my favorite QB P-money, but I've always felt it was a good decision.

Aside from the obvious changes, I like the way we're moving away from injured or injury prone players.

It seems like our team has had more than their share of injuries in the past. It will be interesting to see if this trend continues.

I keep hearing people say this, and I don't get it. Yes, a couple of older players who couldn't stay healthy were released, but Fleener, Chapman, and others who I can't think of off the top of my head were brought in despite serious injury concerns. There was no philosophical change (which seems to imply that the old management preferred injured players), just a salary dump as they start to rebuild.

I keep hearing people say this, and I don't get it. Yes, a couple of older players who couldn't stay healthy were released, but Fleener, Chapman, and others who I can't think of off the top of my head were brought in despite serious injury concerns. There was no philosophical change (which seems to imply that the old management preferred injured players), just a salary dump as they start to rebuild.

The players you named may have been injured in college, but we'll see what they do in the pros. Bullet, Addai, Brackett, even Dallas, were constantly getting injured. Joe was one of my favorite players, I hope he can beat the bug and continue to play. I thought Gary was a great cover LB. So I'm not saying I'm happy they're gone, but I understand the team letting them go.

There was a 'salary dump', as you said, but the reason behind the dumping was the injuries.

Like Superman, I'm also not sold on Manusky, but I really like the hiring of Pagano and Grigs. I also really didn't like how we passed up on Upshaw and took Fleener; I think Upshaw will be a very good NFL player. But that doesn't mean Fleener won't turn into a very good TE

Like Superman, I'm also not sold on Manusky, but I really like the hiring of Pagano and Grigs. I also really didn't like how we passed up on Upshaw and took Fleener; I think Upshaw will be a very good NFL player. But that doesn't mean Fleener won't turn into a very good TE

Interesting comment about Upshaw, a very talented guy to be sure. And my hunch is Grgs/Pagano liked him too. But with the team confident of Freeney and Mathis, I'd speculate they didn't want to invest the 34th pick on a guy (Upshaw) who likely would be behind those two. They wanted to invest in a guy who would help this year. Again, just a guess, but it seems reasonable to me.

Thoughts?

Interesting comment about Upshaw, a very talented guy to be sure. And my hunch is Grgs/Pagano liked him too. But with the team confident of Freeney and Mathis, I'd speculate they didn't want to invest the 34th pick on a guy (Upshaw) who likely would be behind those two. They wanted to invest in a guy who would help this year. Again, just a guess, but it seems reasonable to me.

Thoughts?

I actually agree but my problem with that is it all comes back to Freeneys contract I think.on one end you release an excellent pass rusher in Freeney whos been with the Colts his whole career but on the other side you get a guy who you know can play in the 3-4 hybrid, given what Suggs does Im am very confident Freeney can as well. However Upshaw would have brought youth, someone who can stop the run someone with less of a cap it, I dont know if he would be a great pass rusher but I bet he would have been good

The players you named may have been injured in college, but we'll see what they do in the pros. Bullet, Addai, Brackett, even Dallas, were constantly getting injured. Joe was one of my favorite players, I hope he can beat the bug and continue to play. I thought Gary was a great cover LB. So I'm not saying I'm happy they're gone, but I understand the team letting them go.

There was a 'salary dump', as you said, but the reason behind the dumping was the injuries.

Players get hurt playing football. All teams have injury problems..

Thoughts?

Yeah, that possible. And they might be very confident in Hughes. Still, it wouldn't hurt to have a nice 4 man rotation of solid pass rushers

I actually agree but my problem with that is it all comes back to Freeneys contract I think.on one end you release an excellent pass rusher in Freeney whos been with the Colts his whole career but on the other side you get a guy who you know can play in the 3-4 hybrid, given what Suggs does Im am very confident Freeney can as well. However Upshaw would have brought youth, someone who can stop the run someone with less of a cap it, I dont know if he would be a great pass rusher but I bet he would have been good

I know there has been many threads about Hughes but do you not think that the last few seasons with freeney and mathis ahead of him and with a timid coach like cauldwell he would have found it hard to get excited and push for his place and now with a new head coach and there being the feeling that this might be Freeneys last season maybe he has a break out season... i do doubt it but if he can up his game in the new format and prove himself then i think fleener was the right choice that said i think he was the right choice between the two and would have still rathered jenkins. i do understand your point and think it is valid but also think that he might have been surplus to requirements if Pagano can get the best out of our players.

No, they were dumped because of their injury situations.

Very true, the players that were dumped weren't worth their price any longer and some didn't fit into the new defensive scheme. Clark taking so long to get on with another team should be all anyone needs to see on how far injuries depleted his skills...it's a shame. I use Clark because of the players dumped he was the most prolific (I won't count PM due to avoiding an un-wanted argument) of them.

Personally so far this season I like how we got quality players in free agency.

I dislike how we haven't addressed the secondary effectively.

Those are my opinons what are yours?

..assuming you mean after we fire almost everybody connected with our success for over a decade...??

..aftre that..I like what we've done.

that was a big assumption though...as I'm reading here..

They were dumped because their injury situations (and more-so their ages) didn't justify their salaries on a team which is rebuilding. The new players coming in obviously have much lower salaries and much lower ages - but they still have injury situations. The two draft picks I mentioned are actually pretty big gambles. To insist that this reflects a philosophical change, ie: "we REFUSE to have any player on the roster who we aren't 100% confident will be able to play every game going forward" is ridiculous.

If Fleener's back has a recurrence and he misses the second half of the season, or Chapman isn't ready by game one, or for that matter if Luck's leg gets hurt and he has to rebab for a year, do you honestly think that they will be released outright because of this new "philosophy". What is different is a new GM bringing in his own players. You have NO idea yet how will react when it is "his" players getting hurt. It's always a judgement call based on medical opinion, salary cap obligation, and potential. Every team goes through the same thing every year.

They were dumped because their injury situations (and more-so their ages) didn't justify their salaries on a team which is rebuilding.

Well put. Very well put.

I would add that their injuries have practically killed production for the past two seasons.

I hated losing Peyton as much as I understand it.

I love Andrew Luck.

I really like what we did with the rest of our draft even if we didn't add as many defensive players as people would have liked.

I liked our free agency moves.

I LOVED resigning Reggie Wayne. I think this is a move that has been kinda glossed over other than YAY Reggie's back. I think his leadership will prove to be huge in developing Luck into the player he will become along with the rest of the offense. With losing Peyton and Saturday our offense took a huge blow in terms of leadership so having Reggie back for that reason alone is huge.

I hated seeing Saturday go. I think things will work out without him but it would have been nice if we could have found a way to keep him. I think his leadership would have been helpful.

I am glad we didn't over spend to keep Garcon.

I really like Pagano I think we made a heck of a hire with him. I am buying everything he's selling right now.

Grigson is growing on me more and more.

I hated seeing Clark and Addai go just from a fan standpoint again I understand the logic behind the moves and agree with it just hate seeing two of my favorite players go.

I liked keeping Mathis and I like holding on to Freeney despite a lot of people calling for him to be traded. I also like not rushing into an extension with him if we can afford his contract and waiting and seeing if he can produce in a 3-4 or not. If not it gives us an out just to let him walk after this season. If he does work out we can tag him if needed. I know it's expensive this year but frankly I think the Colts are okay with that and are going to be in great shape with the cap next year even with Freeney's huge pay day this year.

I liked the coaching changes and was pretty pleased with the draft.

Resigning Reggie was a great move.

None of the FA signings were spectacular, but I really like our new willingness to go after system players in the offseason.

I don't like the fact that we didn't/haven't dealt Freeney, although I like his chances of being a capable OLB. He is too expensive for an experiment. I'd be more upset about it if there was decent, young FA talent left on the market. I'll eat my words if Freeney/Mathis combine for 20 sacks or more this season.

I like first and foremost that we changed management. Bill Polian had his run with the Colts and did well but did not do enough in the end to win enough Super Bowls. The beginning of the end for Polian was when we rested the players instead of going for an undefeated season. I also like the fact Jim Caldwell was replaced with a guy who has a personality and a defensive mind. darn Jim show some emotion and stop with the canned answers.

As far as the players I like the whole draft. This has to be one of the best drafts ever for the Colts in a long time.. I love that we got our QB of the future and weapons to grow along with him. I like that we drafted Vick Ballard to be our RB of the future. (you will see)

I like that we are changing defense from cover 0 to a 3/4 4/3 hybrid. I like we got Chapman and Redding to pair up with Nevis. I like that Freeny and Mathis have been moved to lb where they can do what they do.

I like a D-line of Chapman, Redding, Nevis

I like lbs of Angerer, Conner, Freeny and Mathis

I like a secondary of Powers, Chism, Bethea and Zibowski.

I like everything....it was getting tiresome watching the Colts the past few years. I almost felt like when we were playing well and having a record of 8, 9 and 10-0 I wanted to just start the playoffs. It was so frustrating watching all year to have one playoff game and it was over.

I like all the excitement surrounding the Colts now. I am looking so forward this new team/style/personnel/coachs.

Sorry for the rant.

I liked the coaching changes and was pretty pleased with the draft.

Resigning Reggie was a great move.

None of the FA signings were spectacular, but I really like our new willingness to go after system players in the offseason.

I don't like the fact that we didn't/haven't dealt Freeney, although I like his chances of being a capable OLB. He is too expensive for an experiment. I'd be more upset about it if there was decent, young FA talent left on the market. I'll eat my words if Freeney/Mathis combine for 20 sacks or more this season.

Think of it this way would you rather pay him this year where the Colts aren't concerned about having cap space since they are just starting the rebuilding process and find out he doesn't work or lock him into a contract extension and have to cut him if he doesn't work out and eat the money in years where they could use it to get other free agents in years where they expect to be competing or worse yet be stuck with his contract and not have him producing?

I left out the trade option because I don't think the Colts were all that interested in doing that unless a team just offered them a crazy deal.

Also there is the chance he's going to work out. If so and the Colts lock him into an extension after the season people will have loved this move by Grigson.

Given what Suggs does the majority of the Downs that he is in and that Pagano said it himself that Freeney would spend the majority of his time rushing then I expect this to work out well personally I wanted Upshaw but that isnt the case now, I think Freeney will work out this year, now do I think he will work out so much that he will justify 14 million dollars? I have my doubts but I like Freeney alot and am willing to wait and see what happens it just wouldn't have been my first choice

They were dumped because their injury situations (and more-so their ages) didn't justify their salaries on a team which is rebuilding. The new players coming in obviously have much lower salaries and much lower ages - but they still have injury situations. The two draft picks I mentioned are actually pretty big gambles. To insist that this reflects a philosophical change, ie: "we REFUSE to have any player on the roster who we aren't 100% confident will be able to play every game going forward" is ridiculous.

If Fleener's back has a recurrence and he misses the second half of the season, or Chapman isn't ready by game one, or for that matter if Luck's leg gets hurt and he has to rebab for a year, do you honestly think that they will be released outright because of this new "philosophy". What is different is a new GM bringing in his own players. You have NO idea yet how will react when it is "his" players getting hurt. It's always a judgement call based on medical opinion, salary cap obligation, and potential. Every team goes through the same thing every year.

Nah.

If Polian were still here, he would no doubt be trying to milk more time out of over the hill, injury prone players like Clark, Brackett, Bullitt, Brackett, etc., and probably shaping the roster so that those players would likely be thrusted into the starting lineup, even. It doesn't appear Grigson is that type of GM, and that makes some of us very happy.

Drafting players who might have been injured at some point in college has zero to do with the point i'm making here.