Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Realistic UFAs in 2013 for Colts

BProland85

Here are some guys I could see being available and would be smart to sign with the league's most cap room...

ILB Rey Maulauga- Cincy (They could let him go if he is wanting a little more than they can offer. Would make a great ILB tandem with Angerer if Conner doesnt pan out.)

ILB Jerod Mayo- NE (They already have Spikes and Hightower at ILB, and I dont think Mayo is a good fit at OLB. He could be signed by Indy to pair with Angerer.)

CB Sean Smith- Miami (He would be a talented CB to add to the Colts.)

CB Dominique Rodgers Cromartie- Philly (I think with all the players they have signed over the past few years, they may not have enough to retain Cromartie.)

CB Jason McCourty- Tenn (I live in Nashville, TN, and I gotta say, as much as I think the Titans Defense is overrated, I do like the potential of McCourtey.)

Who are some guys you could see us going after next year?

Also for the 2013 draft I hope we can land a very good SS like Ray Ray Armstrong or Bacarri Rambo to pair with Bethea unless Zbikowski surprises us as a starter. A good WR, DE/OLB, and NT could also be early targets.

But he is a very good player and was a high draft pick (10th overall). He is the leader of that defense and knows the playbook.

I loved Mayo coming out and he was the guy I wanted the Colts to get. If we could get him I would be SUPER excited!!!

Does anyone else think that the Dolphins won't resign Jake Long and that we should go after him? Matt Forte and Mike Wallace may be available next year too!!

I'd go after Wallace before the other two, I like all three definitly but I'd rather see if we can get Montee Ball in the 3rd if by chance he falls that far and has an off year

I think most of those guys will be back with their current teams. I can't see Rey leaving the Bengals or Mayo leaving the Pats

I Agree lets not forget we will have alot of FAs also.Might be rebuild year 2 and see alot of players not resigned by us also.60 mill is alot to have I'm sure Grigs will do fine with it and the draft.

One of the ones I would like to have:

DL - Colin Cole, Seattle (DT/DE, 6'2", 328, 9 seasons); Howard Green, Packers (DT/DE, 6'2", 340, 7 seasons)

OL - Vernon Carey, Miami (OG, 6'5", 340, 8 seasons)

CB - Cary Williams, Ravens, 6'1", 182; Keenan Lewis, Pittsburgh, 6'0", 208 (both of them are RFAs now after 3 seasons into their rookie contract and are promising)

I dont think we will play free agency for RB or WR positions.

Realistically I want to see Mike Wallace with the Colts. The Steelers are always pressed up against the cap every year and they might not have a chance to resign Wallace. Meanwhile, I'm sure Wallace wouldn't mind playing for Arians again, the coach who turned him into a star.

I imagine we will target CB, OLB/PASS RUSHER, OG, OT, DT. I think those will be what we target. We will have to replace Freeney most likely, we OBVIOUSLY will be looking at CB. I think the OL will get addressed to and 3-4 defense is ALWAYS about the DL.

I don't think we look at skilled positions in FA. I think we continue to go through the draft for that to build youth and talent around Andrew as opposed to overspending on superstars. I just think a majority of that money will go to exactly what we looked at this year. Defense and OL. RB should be fine with what we have because Brown has another year and we have Ballard. WR we drafted to youngsters and TE looks good. We probably will look at drafting a stud WR in the 1st 3 rounds probably. I just like drafting those skilled types. Let that connection grow between a young QB and his receivers instead of trying to bring outside talent in that might not mesh. I see a lot spent on big uglies and db help.

I don't think we look at skilled positions in FA. I think we continue to go through the draft for that to build youth and talent around Andrew as opposed to overspending on superstars. I just think a majority of that money will go to exactly what we looked at this year. Defense and OL. RB should be fine with what we have because Brown has another year and we have Ballard. WR we drafted to youngsters and TE looks good. We probably will look at drafting a stud WR in the 1st 3 rounds probably. I just like drafting those skilled types. Let that connection grow between a young QB and his receivers instead of trying to bring outside talent in that might not mesh. I see a lot spent on big uglies and db help.

I wouldn't rule it out, a lot of things can happen over the course of the season. Let's say hypothetically, Brown doesn't prove anything and none of the other backs look to be getting any better or let's say Reggie Wayne clearly looks like he's lost a step or two. In those cases I would see the argument for bringing in a proven commodity skill position player like Stewart or Wallace as opposed to rolling the dice on a draft pick.

I wouldn't rule it out, a lot of things can happen over the course of the season. Let's say hypothetically, Brown doesn't prove anything and none of the other backs look to be getting any better or let's say Reggie Wayne clearly looks like he's lost a step or two. In those cases I would see the argument for bringing in a proven commodity skill position player like Stewart or Wallace as opposed to rolling the dice on a draft pick.

While I agree that those two things could and are very likely to happen I just don't think that is the way you build a championship team. Just my opinion but you have developing players like Luck, Ballard, Allen, Fleener, and our two rookie WRs like Hilton and Brazill and the best thing is to let those guys develop a chemistry, grow together, and by a few years they are all reaching maturity and their stride they will be peaking together. Its a cheaper alternative and honestly I think as we have seen so many times a great QB makes his WRs better...not the other way around. You don't have to spend, spend, spend on those positions to get good production. Positions that are much harder to project and harder to find impact players like pass rushers and corners and linemen I think is where you invest your FA money. They take in general longer to bring along and much harder to find in those guys in the draft. You invest in quality, proven talent at those positions and use your draft picks to supplement the other positions imo.

Again this is just my opinion..million ways to build a team but I think you get the most bang for your buck that ways. Besides it seems Arians has no problem at all working with young receivers and working with the next man up mentality when it comes to that. He has had a revolving door at RB and WR in Pittsburgh with great results. From Holmes to Wallace to Brown and runners like Parker to Mendenhall and so on. One thing that is harder to find is a Troy Palomalu and the rest of those guys on the defense.

Here are some guys I could see being available and would be smart to sign with the league's most cap room...

ILB Rey Maulauga- Cincy (They could let him go if he is wanting a little more than they can offer. Would make a great ILB tandem with Angerer if Conner doesnt pan out.)

ILB Jerod Mayo- NE (They already have Spikes and Hightower at ILB, and I dont think Mayo is a good fit at OLB. He could be signed by Indy to pair with Angerer.)

CB Sean Smith- Miami (He would be a talented CB to add to the Colts.)

CB Dominique Rodgers Cromartie- Philly (I think with all the players they have signed over the past few years, they may not have enough to retain Cromartie.)

CB Jason McCourty- Tenn (I live in Nashville, TN, and I gotta say, as much as I think the Titans Defense is overrated, I do like the potential of McCourtey.)

Who are some guys you could see us going after next year?

Also for the 2013 draft I hope we can land a very good SS like Ray Ray Armstrong or Bacarri Rambo to pair with Bethea unless Zbikowski surprises us as a starter. A good WR, DE/OLB, and NT could also be early targets.

All these people you named are either going to resign during the season or get that good ole franchise tag. They aren't going anywhere

Realistically I want to see Mike Wallace with the Colts....I'm sure Wallace wouldn't mind playing for Arians again, the coach who turned him into a star.

As it stands right now (not knowing how anything will pan out this upcoming season) I would love to have Wallace here but I would not break the bank for him. And I suspect we'd have to.

I'd rather spend next year's cash winfall on Dline and DBs.

Rogers-Cromartie & Ed Reed would be sweet.