Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Richardson’s Tap Out

csmopar

Between the play being hot garbage, missing 75% of the eligible games due to injury and now this. It sure seems like the AR experiment is not going to end well, quite frankly it looks like a train wreck in the making.

• Like 1

I've been defending AR as he is young and inexperienced, but having no heart is inexcusable.  I'd take an imjured Bean at QB over AR at this moment.  I've also given CB forgiveness for some of his lack of moves to improve the team. but the AR pick is on him.  It may be time to cut ties w/ both.  Steichen IMO has earned the right to stay as coach considering what he has accomplished w/ a depleted roster.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, SR711 said:

Although, I personally have never seen it happen, I would have given him a break for leaving the game because things happen like getting the wind knocked out of you, etc.  

However, I just saw the following quote....

"I feel like I'm a great passer," he said. "I've been playing quarterback pretty much my whole life. I'm just a different quarterback from everybody else, so people are going to try to point out that I'm not as efficient as everybody else. But it's cool to me. I run the ball way better than every other quarterback. Probably not Lamar [Jackson], but [better] than most quarterbacks. So, I take advantage of my opportunities."

...and I do have an issue with this because it speaks to a guy who getting defensive about his weaknesses instead of improving on them.  Thats really not the kind of thought process you want in a 22 year old who has not achieved anything in this league and still has a lot of work to do to even be considered an average starter.  Not a good look IMO.  

Nailed it.  I will also add that SS needs to set AR up for success by properly utilizing the running game instead of the "boom or bust" approach.  A rookie QB's best friend is a running game.  As much as AR is a problem, SS deserves equal blame with his poor situational play calling all season.  The fact that every game has been a one score game leads me to believe that effective play calling could be the difference between 6-2 and 4-4.      

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

To the best of my knowledge,  Richardson  only asked out for one play.   One.   After that, he was right back in.  

I don’t have an issue with one play.  If this had led to the loss of the game, then we’d be having a different conversation.  

I think this is over-reaction to one play and a very frustrating loss.   

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I hope we find out later there was something more then just a breather 

It’s a bad scenario. If something else was going on then they’ve just walked themselves into lying. 

I don’t even know what would be worse at this point. 

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

Pat Macfee and others have put AR on blast for the tap out when healthy in todays game.

at first, I didn’t think much of it but after some thought, I agree with Pat, I think it’s a bad look for a QB to tap out like that. Very Deshawn Watson like. 

things that make one go hmmmm

What is a "tap out"? Serious question. Does that mean taking oneself out of the game? If so, McAfee is doing what others did to Jay Cutler years ago. What McAfee and others did, if true, is shameful.

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

To the best of my knowledge,  Richardson  only asked out for one play.   One.   After that, he was right back in.  

I don’t have an issue with one play.  If this had led to the loss of the game, then we’d be having a different conversation.  

Of course if this had led to a loss, we'd be having a different conversation because it would be complete disaster. But you hardly see complete disaster. You see little indications that things are not right.

Here's AR's quote after the game.

"I feel like I'm a great passer," he said. "I've been playing quarterback pretty much my whole life. I'm just a different quarterback from everybody else, so people are going to try to point out that I'm not as efficient as everybody else. But it's cool to me. I run the ball way better than every other quarterback. Probably not Lamar [Jackson], but [better] than most quarterbacks. So, I take advantage of my opportunities."

If you run the ball better than most QB's then why are you taking yourself out for a breather after a run? I don't see Mahomes, Josh Allen, Lamar, or remember Mike Vick taking themselves out for a breather.

There's a misconnection here where he doesn't accept the fact that he has to be more efficient, blames others for pointing it out, and then states he's a great runner but has to take himself out of the game after a scramble/run.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think we agree on this one lol.  It's kind of a no win with this fan base regrading AR. I am out on Ballard and that is pretty clear. However, I mentioned numerous times that people just need to sit back for the AR ride. I think it is really pointless even commenting on his play. Let the season play out. Then let's sit down after the season and see where we r with this lad. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

The problem is you combine this attitude with his horrible play and the fact that he cost us 7 before the half and then cost us 3 after the half by fumbling us out of FG range and it doesn't go over well in the media which makes things that much harder. Trust me, the national media is already starting and AR will hear it. and so will SS.... Leaders become leaders by proving themselves to their teamates. You aren't just given the leader tag without having to produce. At some point, he will have to win games instead of lose them and play good instead of historically bad and how you carry yourself as a leader with the media goes a long way in doing that. You are what you put on film in the NFL and AR is talking about what a great passer he is.....Ughhhhh! At this point, just tell him to shut TFU for a while and dont make it worse. There is a thin line between confidence and arrogance and denial.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I think he just said that to avoid saying he got hurt. To me, it looked like he got the wind knock out of him

Bro that what I was saying , just come out and say I got the wind knocked out of me in the fall needed to catch my breathe and no one questions it. It’s so many people looking for him to fail. Like it’s not pretty and trust me it’s hard but we have to let it take its course 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DavePSL said:

The problem is you combine this attitude with his horrible play and the fact that he cost us 7 before the half and then cost us 3 after the half by fumbling us out of FG range and it doesn't go over well in the media which makes things that much harder. Trust me, the national media is already starting and AR will hear it. and so will SS.... Leaders become leaders by proving themselves to their teamates. You aren't just given the leader tag without having to produce. At some point, he will have to win games instead of lose them and play good instead of historically bad and how you carry yourself as a leader with the media goes a long way in doing that. You are what you put on film in the NFL and AR is talking about what a great passer he is.....Ughhhhh! At this point, just tell him to shut TFU for a while and dont make it worse. There is a thin line between confidence and arrogance and denial.

Yeah.  ESPN has it on front page about “tired” Richardson sits out a play.  Mixed with the comments of his, just looks bad.  Think mentally he’s struggling as very apparent things aren’t going well and the heat is turning up from impatient fans.  An early bye week would’ve been good for him and the Colts, but alas, they have it in week 14

5 minutes ago, DavePSL said:

Thin line, I think you have to be confident cause right now he has to believe in his self cause fans and teammates are starting not to. 

27 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

8 minutes ago, jbaron04 said:

Thin line, I think you have to be confident cause right now he has to believe in his self cause fans and teammates are starting not to. 

I agree to a point but it's not a good week to talk about what a great passer he is and how only Lamar runs better than him....truth is , he is the worst Qb in the NFL right now and it's not close and stats prove it. Media will pounce on things like this which makes it way worse ...........Just be smart and hush!!!! Jeff George all over again.

Learning on the job. 

AR is a project, example #047555

2nd quarter assessment. He's learning that this is a battle of attrition, the 3rd quarter of his season needs to see that Superman cape stay ON. In terms of leadership, and play. This is the time to start punching back.

19 minutes ago, jbaron04 said:

That's bad news that his teammates are starting to not believe in him. No people know his abilities and character better than them. Really sorry to hear this. Can you give us more on this ? Is it most of his team mates or just a few that are losing confidence in him. Do you have any names ?

So McAfee uses an MMA term and everybody freaks out. You can criticise him if you want for looking like a kid with only 10 starts, but to criticise him for his toughness makes no sense. If anything, weren't we criticizing him for being too tough?

I also think this was a very good game for the kid with 10 starts. I thought he was still making horrendous throw after horrendous throw, but after watching the game, I was pleasantly surprised. He definitely looked much better imo. He's not Mahomes so to look at just his numbers is an incorrect way to judge him imo. The great majority of his throws were very catchable (WRs did not help him). I only saw maybe 5 out of the 32 that were terrible and that is good improvement. He is getting better imo. 

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

It was third and a mile.   They would have ran off Peyton was the qb

When you played football on a team, did any of your team leaders take themselves out of the game for being ''tired" while in the middle of a drive, especially in a game that gives you the division lead half way thru the season?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, dw49 said:

That's bad news that his teammates are starting to not believe in him. No people know his abilities and character better than them. Really sorry to hear this. Can you give us more on this ? Is it most of his team mates or just a few that are losing confidence in him. Do you have any names ?

"Obviously, if he checked himself out of the game for a play, it means something was really wrong, he was feeling something, you know what I'm saying," defensive tackle DeForest Buckner said. "We know he's a big-time competitor. He wants to compete, he wants to be out there. When a guy like him checks himself out of the game, it has to be something serious. He had to be feeling something."

Buckner said that......Little different to what AR is talking about and Buck just rushed back from a serious injury and gutted it out today an dplayed great........... Not a good look. This is not the end of this....promise

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

What is a "tap out"? Serious question. Does that mean taking oneself out of the game? If so, McAfee is doing what others did to Jay Cutler years ago. What McAfee and others did, if true, is shameful.

He got up and tapped his helmet — the signal for “take me out.” What is shameful about what McAfee said? 

• Like 2

I want to be clear about my thoughts for AR…..

While I don’t have an issue for a one play tap out I do have tons of issues with the young man.   You can fill a shopping cart with them.  

He’s not a good passer. 
He’s got bad foot work.  
His pre-snap reads are poor. 

His post-snap reads are worse.  
His self awareness is poor.  

I hope Ballard talks to him Monday. 
I hope Shane talks to him Monday. 
I hope Jim Bob talks to him Monday.  

I’m not looking to kill the kid’s confidence, but he needs a very cold shower and needs to change his perspective on being the quarterback for a franchise of Unitas, Manning, Luck and even Harbaugh. 

When you’re in a close game where you’ve played horribly, and you run for a first down, try not to celebrate that like it’s a big achievement. 

I think we’re all in for some tough times for at least the next year and a half, maybe even longer.   Wish it wasn’t so.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, jbaron04 said:

No one knows what teammates are thinking.  The Colts run a tight ship, things like that typically don’t leak out.  They haven’t under Ballard.  

4 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

He got up and tapped his helmet — the signal for “take me out.” What is shameful about what McAfee said? 

If he needs to come out, why should he be criticized? He knows his own reasons why he needs to come out. Why be critical of him? What if he was injured or was winded and needed to come out for a play? Other players do it. Why not the QB?

Folks are way too judgmental of players and do not seek to understand before making judgements.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

While I don’t have an issue for a one play tap out I do have tons of issues with the young man.   You can fill a shopping cart with them.  

He’s not a good passer. 
He’s got bad foot work.  

I’m not looking to kill the kid’s confidence, but he needs a very cold shower and needs to change his perspective on being the quarterback for a franchise of Unitas, Manning, Luck and even Harbaugh. 

When you’re in a close game where you’ve played horribly, and you run for a first down, try not to celebrate that like it’s a big achievement. 

I think we’re all in for some tough times for at least the next year and a half, maybe even longer.   Wish it wasn’t so.  

You just said so much truth. Unitas played with a collapsed lung, Manning with a broken jaw, Luck with labrum tear, and Harbaugh would have played through brick walls. In a divisional lead game, please tell me my QB would only come out if the doctors or coach pulled him off the field screaming. Yes, even if we're talking one play.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

If he needs to come out, why should he be criticized? He knows his own reasons why he needs to come out. Why be critical of him? What if he was injured or was winded and needed to come out for a play? Other players do it. Why not the QB?

Folks are way too judgmental of players and do not seek to understand before making judgements.

The man himself said it's because "I was tired".

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

He’s not a good passer. 
He’s got bad foot work.  

I agree with every word of your post. 

I get the requirement to buy into one’s own hype, it’s what a lot of the greats have in the NFL: absolute confidence in themselves. But he needs to understand exactly what you’re talking about.

Then again, there’s plenty of 20 something year olds with poor self awareness and maturity…

Some humble self reflection is needed… 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nesjan3 said:

Between the play being hot garbage, missing 75% of the eligible games due to injury and now this. It sure seems like the AR experiment is not going to end well, quite frankly it looks like a train wreck in the making.

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner. On the money.

4 minutes ago, Blueblazes said:

You just said so much truth. Unitas played with a collapsed lung, Manning with a broken jaw, Luck with labrum tear, and Harbaugh would have played through brick walls. In a divisional lead game, please tell me my QB would only come out if the doctors or coach pulled him off the field screaming. Yes, even if we're talking one play.

Hell, in 2015 Hasselbeck played with severe food poisoning that was so bad he was sick for 2 games. Even needed hospitalization before one of the games, on a short week Thursday Night Football matchup. And yet he got out there and played…

And he was 40!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Hell, in 2015 Hasselbeck played with severe food poisoning that was so bad he was sick for 2 games. Even needed hospitalization before one of the games, on a short week Thursday Night Football matchup. And yet he got out there and played…

And he was 40!

Bam!

1 minute ago, Blueblazes said:

When you played football on a team, did your QB ever come out of a game that was for the conference lead, in the middle of a drive, of his own accord?

I don't play sports but I see other players leaving the field for a play or so. What is the difference?

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

I don't play sports but I see other players leaving the field for a play or so. What is the difference?

Maybe the Colts can file a grievance and try to get his bonus money returned to them. 

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

It’s because of the position. 

A QB, fair or unfair is the most visible representative position of the team. 

They’re often the main leader of the locker room. And as a leader, you’re held to higher standards compared to other players. 

Again, it’s not fair really, but it’s the truth in terms of leadership. 

• Like 1