Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bucky Brooks: The Colts Should Bench Anthony Richardson

RollerColt

8 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Brooks was a AR hater so I don’t take anything he says serious. What is up with the national media. You don’t see this crap with other young QB. I guess it’s the result of colts signing Flacco. But their perception on how good Flacco had been is just wrong.

They do it to most young QBs 

31 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Brooks was a AR hater so I don’t take anything he says serious. What is up with the national media. You don’t see this crap with other young QB. I guess it’s the result of colts signing Flacco. But their perception on how good Flacco had been is just wrong.

They certainly don’t understand what our goal is for this year. 

Make the playoffs and get blown out? 

Starting Flacco just punts the AR question to yet another year. We need him to start and play. And once we get to the offseason figure out what we have. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

They certainly don’t understand what our goal is for this year. 

Make the playoffs and get blown out? 

Starting Flacco just punts the AR question to yet another year. We need him to start and play. And once we get to the offseason figure out what we have. 

What’s really weird is them acting like Flacco is some 26 year old elite QB.  I guarantee if Flacco was not the backup they would not be saying all of this.

I haven't cared for Brooks takes since the beginning of the 2009 season. Going into that season, he said the Colts would finally be an average team since Harrison retired and Dungy wasn't no longer the coach. He said Peyton wouldn't be near as good as well. Then we end up almost going undefeated and making the SB. Dude is a Colts hater and never has known our team. I lost all respect for him back in 2009. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I haven't cared for Brooks takes since the beginning of the 2009 season. Going into that season, he said the Colts would finally be an average team since Harrison retired and Dungy wasn't no longer the coach. He said Peyton wouldn't be near as good as well. Then we end up almost going undefeated and making the SB. Dude is a Colts hater and never has known our team. I lost all respect for him back in 2009. 

I normally ignore his takes, but I noticed today’s article was front page. 

• Like 2

Benching a young QB is the worst thing you can do to them. You're essentially saying to the player we don't believe in you anymore and destroy their confidence a la Bryce Young. I don't know how many times this needs to be said, AR needs reps. You don't get reps sitting on the bench. You need to take your lumps so you learn and get better. 

i’m not sure how many of you took the time to actually read the entire article, but I think that everything he said was reasonable. He didn’t bash Richardson at all, he didn’t say that he wouldn’t end up as a starting quarterback or the face of our franchise.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, coltsblue1844 said:

i’m not sure how many of you took the time to actually read the entire article, but I think that everything he said was reasonable. He didn’t bash Richardson at all, he didn’t say that he wouldn’t end up as a starting quarterback or the face of our franchise.

The one thing that's different about AR compared to the guys he mentioned like Mahomes and Love? 

I'm pretty sure their respective teams already knew what they had. I remember the year Mahomes sat, there was a ton of chatter about how he was the next great QB, before he even played a snap in the NFL. Love had some really positive accolades as well. 

With Anthony, he's just so green we aren't sure what we have. It's a unique case where having him play honestly might be the best for him just so he has the experience. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, conklincolt said:

Yes,colts abs Need to win this game.Flacco much better passer and so much more experience.only chance we have this week.

Yeah, but if experience is truly factor 1 or 2 then AR will never start, correct?

"I have issue with particular line in the article:

While I am not suggesting Indianapolis gives up on developing Richardson as a future starter, putting him on the field ahead of Flacco at this point makes it hard to espouse the meritocratic principles that drive the NFL's best teams."

Colts are in evaluation mode, not being one of the best teams in the NFL.

My .02.

• Like 1

Make no mistake about it the Colts want to win the division and make a run in the playoffs.  The thing is they believe they can do it with AR.  Flacco is our backup this year and everyone knows it.  He’s only going to play if AR is injured.  It’s AR’s team as long as he is healthy.  That decision was made at the start of the season.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Make no mistake about it the Colts want to win the division and make a run in the playoffs.  The thing is they believe they can do it with AR.  Flacco is our backup this year and everyone knows it.  He’s only going to play if AR is injured.  It’s AR’s team as long as he is healthy.  That decision was made at the start of the season.

It was actually made at the start of last season. Once you make AR the starter there is no turning back. 

AR has enough traits you can run with him while he is developing. If he was a pure pocket passer with an average arm that had accuracy issues your not winning with that. But his athletic traits and ability to hit big plays allows colts to still win while he develops. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

What’s really weird is them acting like Flacco is some 26 year old elite QB.  I guarantee if Flacco was not the backup they would not be saying all of this.

They would’ve said it with Gardner Minshew.   Richardson would be out hurt, and Minshew would play well as he did last year.  

3 hours ago, Dark Superman said:

This guy has zero room to speak on behalf of another player after looking up his stat line during his NFL career.

Plenty of analysts weren’t world beaters and some of them didn’t play at all. It still doesn’t make their opinions on another player’s performance irrelevant. 

26 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

That’s not the sentiment I’ve seen around here. The thinking seems to be sink or swim, they want him in to get the playing time to see what they have. Playoffs would be a bonus, but I don’t think that’s their ultimate goal. 

4 minutes ago, Qwiz said:

That’s not the sentiment I’ve seen around here. The thinking seems to be sink or swim, they want him in to get the playing time to see what they have. Playoffs would be a bonus, but I don’t think that’s their ultimate goal. 

I think colts think they can win and develop him at same time. Some fans don’t think that though.

• Like 1

I read the article this morning.

When reading the headline I was like

"That's nonsense!"

But his points are reasonable.

The thing is: If you want a young qb to sit and learn from a experienced vet like flacco(or Rodgers,or Smith), you have to do it BEFORE you name him as your starter in his rookie season.(Like Mahomes and Love?!)

If you bench him now, after he was already your starting qb going into the season, well.....that will cost confidence. And confidence is smthn a young qb needs definitely.

While it's too late to bench him now, gonna ride that rollercoaster at least 2 more years.

Brooks knows that,but takes like this give you clicks.

It needs to be better. It definitely needs to be better. I like the kid and love the ceiling but I need a higher floor. 

But it’s not gonna get better by benching him. We’ve just gotta find out what we got. 

IF we are getting back in the QB line, let’s get in the Manning line, please?

Until then, this is it. 

5 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

It needs to be better. It definitely needs to be better. I like the kid and love the ceiling but I need a higher floor. 

But it’s not gonna get better by benching him. We’ve just gotta find out what we got. 

IF we are getting back in the QB line, let’s get in the Manning line, please?

Until then, this is it. 

Higher floor? That high floor is why we can still win why he develops as a passer. I disagree he has a low floor. His athletic traits give him a high floor.

40 minutes ago, Qwiz said:

The facts are that players are here and being paid with the goal of winning a championship.  Ballard and his staff have the same goal.  Players are being developed all the time.  That’s just part of building a team.  This year we happen to be developing a quarterback as well.  Regardless the ultimate goal every year is to win first and foremost.

I don't think the article was trolling.  Lots of people on this board think he should be benched for the same reasons as listed in the article.  The author seemed fair. 

I personally think he should play.  If he can get through these next 5 games, even if he sawks, without being injured?  I think it will help him a ton.

Face it, we are not winning a Sb with Flacco.  AR in a year or 2 at least gives us hope for a SB appearance. 

15 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Higher floor? That high floor is why we can still win why he develops as a passer. I disagree he has a low floor. His athletic traits give him a high floor.

It still continues to baffle me why some are confused that AR struggles at times, the guy has only had 10 NFL starts. What do people expect. He needs to play, get more reps, and learn on the field against the best NFL Defenses, otherwise it was a waste drafting him. We all know Flacco is a better pocket passer but that isn't the point, and he should be being in the league since 2008. I can usually tell if a QB is going to be bad or good after around 35 starts. He needs at least 25 more starts before I can label him as stinking or panning out. 35 is fair.

• Like 1