Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts vs Packers post game thread

GoColts8818

I expected AR to have ups and downs because of his inexperience. But I thought he’d be able to lead a RB properly on a short out route for a first down. I didn’t expect him to keep throwing the ball straight to the other team. This is basic QB stuff. No choice but to remain hopeful he develops because the alternative sets us back years. 

1 minute ago, IinD said:

Yeah that was strange seeing him on the sidelines. 

Trying to save him for the season in week 2?? Weird.

Yes and I was on record that I wouldn't have given into his contract demands. Your supposed elite back is riding the bench because he is a liability in the passing game

Let that sink in if in fact it was not do to injury.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I disagree.  I think we could make the playoffs with Flacco.  I don’t care about draft picks.  I want to win. Richardson can learn the game watching him.  Just like Love watching Rodgers.

We aren’t going anywhere with Flacco. The Browns had a historic defense last year we don’t have a defense here

Just now, ShuteAt168 said:

I expected AR to have ups and downs because of his inexperience. But I thought he’d be able to lead a RB properly on a short out route for a first down. I didn’t expect him to keep throwing the ball straight to the other team. This is basic QB stuff. No choice but to remain hopeful he develops because the alternative sets is back years. 

The defense has got to do a better job setting the tone of a game.

As far as Taylor is concerned maybe Steichen wanted to go to a passing only attack at the end of the game and thought Sermon was a better pass catcher than Taylor especially with the taylor drop at the end of the game.

But I thought AR threw it to high to taylor on the drop

Just now, ADnum1 said:

As far as Taylor is concerned maybe Steichen wanted to go to a passing only attack at the end of the game and thought Sermon was a better pass catcher than Taylor especially with the taylor drop at the end of the game.

But I thought AR threw it to high to taylor on the drop

I understand why he did it at the end. What was inexcusable is being in the red zone and only needing one or two yards and taking him out.

9 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

You either have accuracy or you don’t. AR constantly overthrow his receivers.

Luck had a completion percentage of 54.1% his rookie year. 

2012: 54.1%

2013: 60.2%

2014: 61.7%

2015: 55.3%

2016: 63.5%

He has a career completion percentage of 60.8%. Someone told me here today you need a completion percentage of 65+% to be good, lol.

Peyton Manning 56.7% his rookie year.

Both Luck and Manning had SIGNIFICANTLY more experience than AR coming into the league. Josh Allen is another guy with a bad cp through his first TWO seasons actually. He had a bad cp in college as well.

You don't like AR, fine. But you haven't even given him a chance. That's just hating.

• Like 2

Just now, Patrick Miller said:

2 picks

Three and yes I know one was at the end of the game, he also miss read an RPO that killed a drive, and had several not well placed balls as Olson did a great job pointing out, those little things like not throwing to the right shoulder are the difference in the NFL.  I think Richardson is still struggling with the speed of the game which is to be expected for someone as young as him.  He misses behind and high which suggests he hasn’t adjusted to the speed of the game.   Most players say about 3/4 of their first season, which Richardson hasn’t had yet, the game slows down for them.

2 minutes ago, ImissPeyton18 said:

let me ask this question. If he doesn't improve this year. How many more does he get? These injuries are going to pile up regardless of severity on this team because there is no winning in sight, so why get hurt. This is a defeatist attitude but this is the new generation of athletes.

Most rookie QBs get around 1 year to simply get acquainted with the NFL to show promise/upside and another 1-2 to show they can become consistent. I would say that AR has already shown a ton of promise 5 games into his NFL career, so now it's an effort of showing how he can show consistency improving on his weak points in the next two years.

Bad effort by everyone not named JT today. Steichen, Bradley, AR, Mitchell, entire Defensive line, Jaylon Jones, etc… 

My biggest takeaways:

- As is always the case with Ballard teams, depth is a big issue

-For whatever reason JT is not used in critical situations. I think it was the 3rd and 2 or 4th and 2 in the red zone and they ran an option play to Sermon. Bad!

-To the surprise of nobody, Jaylon Jones is not a starting outside CB.

This looks like an 8 win team at best.

36 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

You clearly never saw Tebow play 

I mean, sure. I only live in Gainesville Florida. 

You're right. 

I was *only* at most of the games both Tebow and Richardson played in the swamp. 

What would I possibly know about these two quarterbacks? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Solid84 said:

He has a career completion percentage of 60.8%. Someone told me here today you need a completion percentage of 65+% to be good, lol.

Both Luck and Manning had SIGNIFICANTLY more experience than AR coming into the league. Josh Allen is another guy with a bad cp through his first TWO seasons actually. He had a bad cp in college as well.

You don't like AR, fine. But you haven't even given him a chance. That's just hating.

And for the folks who watched Peyton those first couple of years he had some brutal games and Ints so AR definitely isn't a lost cause yet. 

I actually remember Peyton in GB (only in my head since we played them) early in his career drop back into the end zone and the ball literally just fell out of his hand for a safety or a td recovery by them (I don't remember which).. Pathetic looking play...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

It’s true that AR overthrows a lot of passes.  But there were at least 4 or 5 incompletions today that were not on him.

Both of the picks were on him though.  I’ll give him a pass on the Hail Mary pick.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, colts89 said:

I'll say this: If AR doesn't improve on how he overthrows people over the middle, then he isn't going to be able to be a consistent starting QB in the NFL. Beyond being inaccurate, those throws are easy to pick off and that's probably the worst thing a QB can do when it comes to losing a game for his team. We know that AR has the tools to win any game for his team, but he must learn how to be that game manager as well.

He will, but it'll take time. Like possibly multiple seasons of time. It did for Andrew Luck.

He's going to make mistakes and he's going to have bad throws, but people are all up in arms in a completely unreasonable way.

I think it's because people are tired of losing and being average at best. I sympathize with that. I'm right there with you. But a choice has been made with AR and that's going to take time to see through. He's not going to get more accurate sitting on the bench. Touch and chemistry is learned through in-game reps.

I've decided to let AR's play be what it is. What's more concerning to me is that most of the rest of the team are looking like amatears.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, IinD said:

And for the folks who watched Peyton those first couple of years he had some brutal games and Ints so AR definitely isn't a lost cause yet. 

I actually remember Peyton in GB (only in my head since we played them) early in his career drop back into the end zone and the ball literally just fell out of his hand for a safety or a td recovery by them (I don't remember which).. Pathetic looking play...

Yeah, but there was snow on the ground that game.  And we damn near came back to win, too.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I understand why he did it at the end. What was inexcusable is being in the red zone and only needing one or two yards and taking him out.

Yes you're right that was really bad. I hope someone asks him about it in his post game press conference 

• Like 1

I used to be a big Gus defender.  I can't see how I can be that anymore.

I used to be a big Ballard defender.  Finding that difficult to to as well.

I haven't seen the final injury commentary, but if that's not a season-ending broken ankle, it'll be a miracle.

Something tells me that I should pick the Colts opponent the rest of the season in my Survival league.

Jim Mora Playoffs GIF

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

Yeah, but there was snow on the ground that game.  And we damn near came back to win, too.

Ahh didn't remember the snow part, thanks for remembering. 

But he definitely had some ugly games. I also remember one that burned me against SF that I think he blew early on...

3 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

It’s true that AR overthrows a lot of passes.  But there were at least 4 or 5 incompletions today that were not on him.

Both of the picks were on him though.  I’ll give him a pass on the Hail Mary pick.

Oh 100%. Only Pierce stepped up today.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

The worst part for me today is that this looked a lot like 22 where the team just flat out quit.

The defense didn’t quit. They could have easily. Offense just couldn’t get anything going until too late. Have to start better, but guys are dropping like flies so I’m not optimistic. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

The Offense will have 3 and outs. A lot of them. That's what you get with an inexperienced QB. But they also need the ball to keep trying. The Defense has been pretty bad at getting the other team off the field.

The problem I have is that Taylor had only 12 carries and had over 100 yards. 8.6 a carry.

I mean what is Shane doing?

This isnt the offense I envisioned.

I was seeing a run focused, play action attack with occasional deep shots.

Anthony wont succeed if we ask him to carry the load. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, John Hammonds said:

I used to be a big Gus defender.  I can't see how I can be that anymore.

I used to be a big Ballard defender.  Finding that difficult to to as well.

I haven't seen the final injury commentary, but if that's not a season-ending broken ankle, it'll be a miracle.

Something tells me that I should pick the Colts opponent the rest of the season in my Survival league.

Jim Mora Playoffs GIF

Not that it's 100% give up time but it's safe to say we're in a tough spot where this can easily start to crumble and get ugly fast. 

We're DEFINITELY having trouble stopping the run. 200+ in 2 weeks and our anchor on that side will DEFINITELY be missing time.

15 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

Look…

…I’m not saying that this outcome is outside the realm of possibility.  But we knew going into it that he’s a project.  That means we were always going to have to endure some games like this.

And, really, he wasn’t the biggest problem today.   Yeah, he threw 2 picks (plus a 3rd on the Hail Mary).  And they were both on him.  But there were a lot of dropped passes.  And the coaches didn’t do him many favors, either.

So, let’s wait a while until we pronounce him a bust.  You’re just sore from a bad outing by the team.  We all are.

Patience.

I understand that he's a project, but living in Gainesville and having to watch him play for the Gators, then go to the Colts? I've had a bit more experience watching Richardson than most. 

He's just not good. He's an athlete sure, but he's the same player he was in college. Inaccurate, but a cannon arm. 

Sure his intangibles are good. His body type is Cam Newton, and he's got the arm strength of Bradshaw, but his game sense is just subpar. It's the small things that add up. 

The RPO mistakes today were killers. Not even talking interceptions. Just not recognizing the correct read cost the Colts a drive in the 4th quarter, and led to Sermon getting wrecked for a loss. (I believe that was the missed FG drive). 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

The problem I have is that Taylor had only 12 carries and had over 100 yards. 8.6 a carry.

I mean what is Shane doing?

This isnt the offense I envisioned.

I was seeing a run focused, play action attack with occasional deep shots.

Anthony wont succeed if we ask him to carry the load. 

Exactly why I was yelling run the ball and kept saying the run was there to be had.

• Thanks 1