Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Keys to beating the Texans

CR91

I'll see how well this goes and make this a weekly thing.

1.Pressure

I wouldn't exactly say Stroud can't get out of the pocket, but thats where he does the most damage which is why he can't get comfortable or else he's gotten rip this secondary apart. Latu, Buck, and Paye need to get to Stroud to help our corners against their WRs.

2. Make it hard on their weapons 

Brents needs to be on Diggs the entire game. Follow him everywhere on the field and he needs to make him work. I have Kenny on Dell. Kenny needs to jam and get his hands on Dell. Make his life difficult and absolutely no free releases. Jones and Blackmon need to try to keep Collins in check. Collins is the only player I want doubled in this game. 

3. Get JT started early

I feel like the Texans are gonna come into this game trying to force AR to beat them. I think we're gonna see a lot of 7 to 8 man fronts with man coverage on our WRs. That makes winning on the line of scrimmage important to establish the run game which will then lead to open plays across the middle.

4. Pierce, Mitchell, and Downs (Hopefully) need to win their matchups 

If the Texans wanna just put Stingley on Pitt, then other WRs need to win their one on ones. Texans can't stack the box and double making it crucial that our WRs beat their second third and fourth CB

5. Get AR into a rhythm 

Shane needs to give AR some plays to make things easy for him. This is Richardson's first real game in almost a year so he's gonna be pressing. Keep things simple and work their way to the big shots.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, CR91 said:

1.Pressure

I wouldn't exactly say Stroud can't get out of the pocket, but thats where he does the most damage which is why he can't get comfortable or else he's gotten rip this secondary apart. Latu, Buck, and Paye need to get to Stroud to help our corners against their WRs.

Brents needs to be on Diggs the entire game. Follow him everywhere on the field and he needs to make him work. I have Kenny on Dell. Kenny needs to jam and get his hands on Dell. Make his life difficult and absolutely no free releases. Jones and Blackmon need to try to keep Collins in check. Collins is the only player I want doubled in this game. 

3. Get JT started early

I feel like the Texans are gonna come into this game trying to force AR to beat them. I think we're gonna see a lot of 7 to 8 man fronts with man coverage on our WRs. That makes winning on the line of scrimmage important to establish the run game which will then lead to open plays across the middle.

If the Texans wanna just put Stingley on Pitt, then other WRs need to win their one on ones. Texans can't stack the box and double making it crucial that our WRs beat their second third and fourth CB

5. Get AR into a rhythm 

Shane needs to give AR some plays to make things easy for him. This is Richardson's first real game in almost a year so he's gonna be pressing. Keep things simple and work their way to the big shots.

great post , you called it !!!!!

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

We don't run that type of coverage

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Don't allow Nico Collins to have another one of his record breaking performances again.

I don't know why the colts allowed Collins to not be doubled teams when he was the only WR that did anything in that game. Crazy

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

Cover 3 can be flexible depending on the matchup. Can't just sit in a zone all day. Stroud will eat us alive

If your expecting our CBs to mirror certain WRs, just plan for disappointment because that’s not our defensive style. 

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

If your expecting our CBs to mirror certain WRs, just plan for disappointment because that’s not our defensive style. 

Then it's gonna be a long day for our secondary. You can't play zone vs Stroud. QBs like him kill zone coverage especially if they get time in the pocket. Only way zone will work is if we get to Stroud fast and often

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CR91 said:

Then it's gonna be a long day for our secondary. You can't play zone vs Stroud. QBs like him kill zone coverage especially if they get time in the pocket. Only way zone will work is if we get to Stroud fast and often

We're probably going to think/say this all season....just insert each weekly QB into that 2nd sentence.

9 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Get to the QB, win time of poisson, score TDs in the red zone, get off the field on third down on defense, and, win the turn over battle.

This. Every game in a nutshell.

• Get to Stroud early and often - don't let him get comfortable. I'd seriously consider playing our racecar package more than just on 3rd and long. GET. TO. STROUD.
  • Find a way to cover their WRs. Playing "10-yards-off" coverage will get us killed.
  • Get JT and AR going early.
  • Punish them with deep plays.
  • Protect the ball.

11 hours ago, CR91 said:

I don't know why the colts allowed Collins to not be doubled teams when he was the only WR that did anything in that game. Crazy

Especially since he put up 7 catches for 146 yards the first time we played them in 2023

• Like 1

CJ had better weapons at The OSU than he has with the Texans.  Yet TTUN beat us twice when he was there.

He played great in both games.  They just plain outscored us.

So I don't worry as much about him as I do about our offense.  It has to be what we all expect.

As @JediXMan said, control the ball.  Long scoring drives.  Treat CJ like teams used to treat Peyton, keep him off the field as much as possible.  (And yes, pressure him when he's on the field).

• Like 1

Prevent big plays and chunk plays. The Texans offense and WRs are very talented. If they gain 20+ yards at a time, they will be putting points every drive.

Run the Ball a lot. It should honestly be a 60/40 split with the run/pass. Not only does it keep Stroud off the field, but it allows our defense to rest and stay fresh. 

Be aggressive on defense. Have to put pressure on Stroud. If he has 5 seconds to throw every passing down, he's going to carve us up like Drew Brees did a few years ago. 

Lastly, do well on special teams. Hit all our FGs and XPs, get good field positions on punt and kick returns, and keep them within the 20 on every drive.

1 hour ago, John Hammonds said:

Poisoning the tap water in the opposing locker room couldn't hurt.

Have Irsay buy out all the empty hotel rooms where they're staying.  The night before fill them with friendly woman, lots of drink, and play very loud music.

Nah.  That's almost as despicable as bringing in some reliable free agent DBs.

Just now, jvan1973 said:

It's the same as every game.   Get pressure on the QB, pound the rock.   Don't turn the ball over.   Limit penalties.   Every team has the same plan.   Executing it is the hard part

Exactly. Win possession and turnover battle, which means moving the sticks, getting into scoring position, and taking the ball away for more opportunities. Limit big plays on defense/special teams. 

At the end of the day, the goal is the same. Score more points than your opponent. Increasing your odds of doing that by the above is the way.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

It's the same as every game.   Get pressure on the QB, pound the rock.   Don't turn the ball over.   Limit penalties.   Every team has the same plan.   Executing it is the hard part

I'd like to think it's more detailed then that 

On 9/1/2024 at 8:25 PM, CR91 said:

1.Pressure

3. Get JT started early

5. Get AR into a rhythm 

I fully expect Brent’s to play exclusively on one side. I’ve never seen them have him matchup on a specific WR all game. I don’t think Downs plays this week I think he will likely return in week 2. I agree with everything else.

1.Pressure

3. Get JT started early

5. Get AR into a rhythm 

My issue here is point # 2. The Colts do not generally have a corner follow a WR. They will generally keep their corners on one side of the field. 

But more than that - you seem to suggest that Brents is # 1 corner and that has yet to be proven. Secondly, the suggestion also seems to be that Diggs is their # 1 and that is most definitely not the case. If the Colts were to put their best corner on Houston’s best WR - that would be Collins. 

1.Pressure

3. Get JT started early

5. Get AR into a rhythm 

Screenshot-2024-09-03-070103.png