Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Update: Tracking Colts releases at cutdown

CR91

49 minutes ago, New Zealands #1 Colts Fan said:

Let's be honest, if both A Rich and Flacco get injured, it doesn't really matter who the 3rd qb is as the season will likely be over.......

I’m sure the 49ers said the same thing about Purdy…

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

So awesome! Congrats to him and the family! Hard work has paid off, and from what I saw at camp he was doing well!

Just remember that teams play a lot of games right now.  They may keep a guy because they want to put him on the PS after a week when rosters are settled in.  And they're worried he may be poached if they waived him today.  Happens all the time.

I'm pretty sure the 53 we have on the roster right now won't be the same as on opening day.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Superman said:

None of us knows what happened on the practice field or in meetings. But during games, Bean was very good.

I think Bean makes it to the practice squad. 

2 minutes ago, ADnum1 said:

...I read on this board that Flacco doesn't like to help rookie QBs

and at the time, when we first signed Joe Flacco...

many here insisted, the primary reason the Colts brought Flacco in, was to serve as a "mentor" for young Anthony Richardson.

• Like 1

Just now, 1959Colts said:

and at the time, when we first signed Joe Flacco...

many here insisted, the primary reason the Colts brought Flacco in, was to serve as a "mentor" for young Anthony Richardson.

One poster, known for being wrong made that claim. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've seen Dallas Flowers play nickel before in a previous year. Might be what they are thinking if Kenny goes down. Still with us cutting 2 rookie DBs it's possible a waiver claim or two will be made.

2 minutes ago, Lifetime Colt said:

Destin the Savant might want to know the CB's he is referring to are not rookies anymore.

Destin does say in the article

"...Instead of prioritizing their young promising talent: Micah Abraham (CB), Jaylin Simpson (CB/S), and Jonah Laulu the Colts elected to give initial roster spots to players like Taven Bryan (DT), Darrell Baker Jr. (CB) and Rodney Thomas II (S)"

Abraham and Simpson are rookie CB that Ballard risked by cutting

4 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

Ballard seems determined to prove he was right about last year's group of DBs.

Can someone walk me through the logic on this one?? The Colts played rookie DBs last year, and everyone complained about it. This year, the Colts (so far) didn't keep rookie DBs, and it's proof that they didn't learn anything from last year? 

I'm struggling to understand this argument. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Superman said:

Can someone walk me through the logic on this one?? The Colts played rookie DBs last year, and everyone complained about it. This year, the Colts (so far) didn't keep rookie DBs, and it's proof that they didn't learn anything from last year? 

Yeah, the biggest thing I got from the piece was, that Ballard lost Darius Rush, by cutting him, in hopes he would slip through to our PS. but I think we would all agree, so far, Rush has shown little since leaving the colts.

• Like 1

I gotta be honest again. I didn't see a whole lot out of Abraham other than the strip fumble. Coverage wise I didn't see it and he made a few mistakes out there. Simpson was really quiet.

2 minutes ago, Catloaf said:

Why do I feel like our team is basically identical to last year, except for two rookies and a hope and prayer our QB stays healthy and can pass accurately?

It's basically identical to last year, except for Latu and Mitchell, and some other auxiliary changes. You're not wrong on that at all.

The Colts made it a priority to re-sign their own FAs in March, and it was very displeasing to a lot of people here. They signaled at the time that they thought the roster was good enough to compete, and that the main change they were looking forward to was the QB being able to play. Add in the two rookies, like you said, who are potential upgrades at important positions, and the team is pretty much locked in.

Right now, we're complaining about the 5-6 guys who get to bounce around between the active roster and the practice squad all season, while probably not being active on game day unless there's an emergency.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think the thought is last years rookies played less than stellar and a guy like Abraham for instance had a pretty good camp and preseason.

7 minutes ago, Catloaf said:

Why do I feel like our team is basically identical to last year, except for two rookies and a hope and prayer our QB stays healthy and can pass accurately?

Right. Latu hopefully gives us the pure pass rusher this team has been missing for a long time.

But mainly the difference will come down to Richardson over Minshew

• Like 1

1 minute ago, throwing BBZ said:

If you look his primary job is as a Titans reporter.

I've read more than enough to understand he likes twisting our *.

HaHa, didn't know that, thank you for clarifying. Seems some here take his speculative tweets as Gospel.

1 hour ago, Patrick Miller said:

Well, I see they waived bean. That’s a mistake in my opinion.

Keep in mind that Bean was the #1 pick in the UFL (I think that’s what they’re calling it) draft.  So, he has to decide if he wants to play or be on a PS…

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Superman said:

You must learn to "Trust the process"

6 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I think the thought is last years rookies played less than stellar and a guy like Abraham for instance had a pretty good camp and preseason.

Last year's rookies played less than stellar, so let's pin the hopes for this year's defense on a new set of 5th, 6th, and 7th rounders? 

I would have loved for Simpson to beat out Thomas, Abraham to beat out Baker (although they probably weren't directly competing at CB, more likely a STs competition there), and Laulu to beat out Bryan. And I think there's a good chance that all three of them wind up back with the team at some point. I don't think any of these guys -- not the ones who were retained, nor the ones who were waived -- are meant to be foundational pieces of the team. It would be nice if someone stepped up and looked like a future star, but I don't think that happened. Abraham, for instance, had one noteworthy play in preseason, and it had almost nothing to do with his ability to play corner.

I also don't get the link to Darius Rush. They waived him and kept Jaylon Jones, another rookie that the team felt won the spot. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Just remember that teams play a lot of games right now.  They may keep a guy because they want to put him on the PS after a week when rosters are settled in.  And they're worried he may be poached if they waived him today.  Happens all the time.

I'm pretty sure the 53 we have on the roster right now won't be the same as on opening day.

You're absolutely right. The NFL is volatile. 

So for now, knowing that things can change in an instant, I'm going to be happy for him and his family. 

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

Last year's rookies played less than stellar, so let's pin the hopes for this year's defense on a new set of 5th, 6th, and 7th rounders? 

I would have loved for Simpson to beat out Thomas, Abraham to beat out Baker (although they probably weren't directly competing at CB, more likely a STs competition there), and Laulu to beat out Bryan. And I think there's a good chance that all three of them wind up back with the team at some point. I don't think any of these guys -- not the ones who were retained, nor the ones who were waived -- are meant to be foundational pieces of the team. It would be nice if someone stepped up and looked like a future star, but I don't think that happened. Abraham, for instance, had one noteworthy play in preseason, and it had almost nothing to do with his ability to play corner.

I also don't get the link to Darius Rush. They waived him and kept Jaylon Jones, another rookie that the team felt won the spot. 

To be clear, I don't have a horse in this race. Just stating what I think was the thought with the comment.

I didn't expect nor want Abraham over any of our young guys, but I'm disappointed we kept Baker and Denbow. Neither have proven anything that warrents that confidence where as I feel Abraham especially had a good camp/preseason.

19 minutes ago, Catloaf said:

Perhaps your a little thick?

Rookies WR Mitchell and Gould

Pinter back healthy and playing well and Rookie Bartolini  no more  C French

Rookie Gonclaves G Rucker look promising  could be starting next season

Oh yes Latu

ANYONE should know of the jump expected from year one and two

Brents, Jones, Baker they are not the same because of experience 

And you have a new starting S in Cross. 

At DT Adewhatever looks good and added Davis.

The 2nd year in Steichen's system, and more experienced defense.

It's a new year, a different team with more talent and experience. And yes better Quarterbacking to be expected.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Solid84 said:

To be clear, I don't have a horse in this race. Just stating what I think was the thought with the comment.

I didn't expect nor want Abraham over any of our young guys, but I'm disappointed we kept Baker and Denbow. Neither have proven anything that warrents that confidence where as I feel Abraham especially had a good camp/preseason.

Fair enough. 

I don't have any opinion on Denbow. He played six defensive snaps for us last season, I don't think he's anything other than STs, and I actually think we need another safety. I feel like we're one heavy at DL, and the Laulu vs Bryan conversation is moot because that 10th spot is going away anyway. I could easily be wrong about both of those things.

I was hopeful for Abraham, but I don't think he stood out in preseason. I don't know about camp. Baker actually looked like an NFL caliber player in preseason.

12 minutes ago, Archer said:

Keep in mind that Bean was the #1 pick in the UFL (I think that’s what they’re calling it) draft.  So, he has to decide if he wants to play or be on a PS…

UFL isnt until Spring 2025 so he will play in the NFL unless he doent find a home then if not he can go there.

I just registered to comment, and now the Colts are the team I follow most.  I am a lifelong Longhorn, and love Sam, which is what brought me here to begin with.  Bean made more plays and improvised well this summer, and I fully expected Sam to get cut.  I had a couple of ideas why it went the other way, not that I know how players are evaluated.  I can say Sam has tremendous leadership qualities and is a great field leader.  He is also extremely tough.......Bean could be also, but does not have the body to take a beating week in and out as QB...he was out one year against Texas, and was knocked out of the game the next year.

Maybe one factor was perceived long term durability, but what do I know....

• Like 1

Just now, Superman said:

Fair enough. 

I don't have any opinion on Denbow. He played six defensive snaps for us last season, I don't think he's anything other than STs, and I actually think we need another safety. I feel like we're one heavy at DL, and the Laulu vs Bryan conversation is moot because that 10th spot is going away anyway. I could easily be wrong about both of those things.

I was hopeful for Abraham, but I don't think he stood out in preseason. I don't know about camp. Baker actually looked like an NFL caliber player in preseason.

Baker worries me because he looked all world last off and preseason too but he may have genuinely improved. Flowers looks so slow hope he gets his speed back. Expected Jones to beat him for the spot but what I saw was worrisome. 

38 minutes ago, Superman said:

I have more an observation than an argument - that those young DBs weren't great last season and had some durability issues. Ballard indicated in his season ending press conference that it could be an area for roster additions, yet they haven't added anybody through the draft, free agency, or trades, even for improved depth. It may work out, but it seems risky and a little curious.