Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Early 53 man roster guess (merge)

QB- (3)- AR,Flacco,Bean ( could be 2 if need extra space with hope Bean and Sam fall through waivers to PS)

RB-(4)- JT, Hull,Goodson,Sermon (Scott looked solid-PS)

WR-(6)-MPJ,Downs,AD,Pierce,Gould,Dulin (Treadwell looked very good, could push Dulin if coaches like his st play)

OL-(9)- Q,Rainman,Kelly,Fries,Smith,Goncalves,Bortolinni,Freelan,Tucker (Tucker over Pinter for final spot),

TE-(4)- Granson,MAC,Mallory,Ogletree (Woods hid on ir)

K- (1)-Gay (He better show something soon though,seat getting hot)

P-(1)-Rigo

LS-(1)-Rhodes

DE-(5)-Latu,Paye,Dayo,Lewis,Land (Leo to PS)

DT-(4)-Buckner,Grove,Adetomiwa,Bryan (Think Davis starts on ir with his medical issue, sure hope Im wrong, if he is healthy Bryan get cut)

LB- (5)-Franklin,Speed,Olubi,Carliles,Stuard (Young and McGrone to ps)

CB-(6)-Kenny Moore,Brents,Jones,Abraham,Simpson,Flowers ( Lammons could beat out Abraham but likely to ps)

S-(4)-Cross,Blackmon,Harrison,Denbow,Thomas (Wouldnt be surprised if Thomas is let either at 53 or post if we claim another Safety).

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

QB- (3)- AR,Flacco,Bean ( could be 2 if need extra space with hope Bean and Sam fall through waivers to PS)

WR-(6)-MPJ,Downs,AD,Pierce,Gould,Dulin (Treadwell looked very good, could push Dulin if coaches like his st play)

OL-(9)- Q,Rainman,Kelly,Fries,Smith,Goncalves,Bortolinni,Freelan,Tucker (Tucker over Pinter for final spot),

P-(1)-Rigo

LS-(1)-Rhodes

DT-(4)-Buckner,Grove,Adetomiwa,Bryan (Think Davis starts on ir with his medical issue, sure hope Im wrong, if he is healthy Bryan get cut)

CB-(6)-Kenny Moore,Brents,Jones,Abraham,Simpson,Flowers ( Lammons could beat out Abraham but likely to ps)

S-(4)-Cross,Blackmon,Harrison,Denbow,Thomas (Wouldnt be surprised if Thomas is let either at 53 or post if we claim another Safety).

Until the Colts sign another kicker either for the rest of camp or to the PS once the season starts or seriously start working them out Gay’s seat isn’t hot.  In fact the Colts brushed off any concern about Gay after the game last night.

Fans may call for a replacement but that doesn’t he’s under pressure of being replaced from the team.

1 hour ago, holeymoley99 said:

P-(1)-Rigo

LS-(1)-Rhodes

CB Baker Jr will make the team

Sam will get picked up if he's put on waivers. They won't risk that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, holeymoley99 said:

P-(1)-Rigo

LS-(1)-Rhodes

I think Freeland fails to make the roster and they keep Pinter and Tucker.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Dont think Sam will get picked up honestly, looked at each teams depth chart and he doesnt appear to be above any second string and think some other Qb's will be cut who are more attractive (Baily Zappe.T.Heincke).

Baker Jr could beat out Flowers which seems to be the battle for backup outside Corner), think who ever they keep could be cut if we see another Corner we like much like Rodney Thomas situation.

34 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

That would not surprise me, he was thought to make some leap from last season and we havent seen it yet. Though that would leave Tackle thin and Guard deeper. Havent heard much positive on Witt though missing all last year put him behind for sure.

57 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Not unless Baker discovers how to play CB better than he has in the past. He seems lost and confused.

2 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

P-(1)-Rigo

LS-(1)-Rhodes

You have 5 safeties listed.  So you actually have 54. Considering the change to the emergency QB rule this year, I don’t see a reason the carry 3 QB’s. They have unlimited call ups this year.  Definitely some tuff cuts this year. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Freeland has struggled, yet I don't see him not making it, since both Pinter and Tucker are guards.

I said in an earlier thread, that I believe we are dangerously thin at OT

3 hours ago, CoachLite said:

Not unless Baker discovers how to play CB better than he has in the past. He seems lost and confused.

He’s been our best CB so far, outside of Kenny.  Really thin position.  

Thoughts:

-Baker definitely makes it. He’s got experience starting, and had a good camp.

-You’re way too high on Bean. Zero percent chance he makes the 53. Especially over Sam. Bean is a guy they thought they were going to convert to WR only 2  weeks ago.

-No Eric Johnson ??

3 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

Freeland has struggled, yet I don't see him not making it, since both Pinter and Tucker are guards.

I said in an earlier thread, that I believe we are dangerously thin at OT

I think they just signed a new OL to take Freeland’s spot.

13 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

Dont think Sam will get picked up honestly, looked at each teams depth chart and he doesnt appear to be above any second string and think some other Qb's will be cut who are more attractive (Baily Zappe.T.Heincke).

Baker Jr could beat out Flowers which seems to be the battle for backup outside Corner), think who ever they keep could be cut if we see another Corner we like much like Rodney Thomas situation.

Everyone is sure high on Sam. Frankly I just don’t see it. He is at his ceiling because I just don’t see him as a number 2. Has everyone forgotten how bad he played in actual games. Bean > Erlinger 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Until the Colts sign another kicker either for the rest of camp or to the PS once the season starts or seriously start working them out Gay’s seat isn’t hot.  In fact the Colts brushed off any concern about Gay after the game last night.

Fans may call for a replacement but that doesn’t he’s under pressure of being replaced from the team.

I fully agree with the logic of this post.

But after Vinatieri's meltdown in 2019, it's hard not to be nervous when we see some shakiness from the kicker. Unfortunately, it's hard to know whether the kicker is just out of rhythm, or if the problem is more serious, until it's too late.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

Everyone is sure high on Sam. Frankly I just don’t see it. He is at his ceiling because I just don’t see him as a number 2. Has everyone forgotten how bad he played in actual games. Bean > Erlinger 

I agree that it's doubtful anyone plucks Sam off of waivers.  Are teams really that desperate for a 3rd string QB?  

I don't agree that Bean is better that him, but he may be better for the team if we can get him on the PS.  He can simulate running QBs in practice better than most. 

Since you don't have to keep your emergency QB on your 53, I don't see why we need to carry 3.

Bean is a guy you want on the PS running the scout team when the Colts face a mobile QB that week.  

Sam is better equipped to play right now, but to me it says a lot that the Colts had zero desire for him to be the #2 QB after 3 years in Indy and a year in Steichen’s offense.  

The Colts know they are F’d if Sam is the QB and as Tom Moore said they don’t practice F’d.  No need to carry three QB’s with all the tough cuts elsewhere on the roster. 

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

It will be interesting to see if they play him at tackle in the last preseason game.

One way or another, I feel they gotta find a way to keep Tucker on the final 53. Watched both games on replay. DT was really solid. He's actually the single player I was most impressed with overall.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Superman said:

I fully agree with the logic of this post.

But after Vinatieri's meltdown in 2019, it's hard not to be nervous when we see some shakiness from the kicker. Unfortunately, it's hard to know whether the kicker is just out of rhythm, or if the problem is more serious, until it's too late.

I agree it’s worth watching.  I am just saying until the Colts start showing signs his seat is hot it’s mot with them.

23 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I agree it’s worth watching.  I am just saying until the Colts start showing signs his seat is hot it’s mot with them.

Yup, I agree. It's also worth noting that we had a backup holder on Saturday, so the operation might have been slightly off. 

Just saying, I'm not panicking, but I'm not sweeping it under the rug, either. 

• Like 2

Just now, Superman said:

Yup, I agree. It's also worth noting that we had a backup holder on Saturday, so the operation might have been slightly off. 

Just saying, I'm not panicking, but I'm not sweeping it under the rug, either. 

Yeah we agree and I think I mentioned the backup holder in another thread.  That could very well be a big part of the problem.  I will say I notice his kicks tend to fade to the left.  Not sure why but it’s the consistent thing.  Chap also pointed off his 8 misses four were from 50 or longer and not like 51 or 52 yards like long long.  I think that makes them more understandable but I’d agree everyone would feel better if he knocks some through with no misses Thursday.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yeah we agree and I think I mentioned the backup holder in another thread.  That could very well be a big part of the problem.  I will say I notice his kicks tend to fade to the left.  Not sure why but it’s the consistent thing.  Chap also pointed off his 8 misses four were from 50 or longer and not like 51 or 52 yards like long long.  I think that makes them more understandable but I’d agree everyone would feel better if he knocks some through with no misses Thursday.

Yeah, not  panicking yet.  Bowen made two good points - Gay hasn't been quite the same since he was on the injury report last year.  And when a kicker loses it, and they all eventually do, it seems to happen pretty fast.

He won the Baltimore game last year, let's hope karma doesn't even us out this year.

19 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Thoughts:

-Baker definitely makes it. He’s got experience starting, and had a good camp.

-You’re way too high on Bean. Zero percent chance he makes the 53. Especially over Sam. Bean is a guy they thought they were going to convert to WR only 2  weeks ago.

-No Eric Johnson ??

Bean can run the offense much more like AR5 then Sam can, dont be surprised if they keep 2 as doubtful anyone will put in waivers for either. Bean could still see action as a WR down the road, also on st's.

Definitely No on Johnson in fact havent seen anyone having him make 53 yet and I wouldnt be shocked if he isnt on p.s either. Bryan is above him and now with Davis back he may not even make it. Tommy Boy is well ahead of him at this point.

• Like 1

QB - Richardson, Flacco (2)

RB - Taylor, Sermon, Hull (3)

WR - Pittman Jr, Pierce, Downs, Mitchell, Gould (5)

TE - Granson, MAC, Olgetree, Woods, Mallory (5)

LT -  Raimann, Freeland (2)

LG - Nelson, Tucker (2)

C - Kelly, Pinter (2)

RG - Fries, Bortolini (2)

RT - Smith, Goncalves (2)

Offense - 25

DE - Paye, Dayo (2)

3T - Buckner, Tomi (2)

NT - Stewart, Davis, Johnson (3)

Leo - Latu, Lewis, Land (3)

Will - Speed (1)

Mike - Franklin, Stayed (2)

Sam - Carlies, Olubi (2)

CB - Moore, Brents, Jones, Flowers, Simpson, Abraham (6)

FS - Blackmon, Thomas (2)

SS - Cross, Harrison (2)

Defense - 25

K- Gay

P - Sanchez

H - Rhodes

ST - (3)

PS - Ehlinger, Bean, Treadwell, Montgomery, Dulin, Fields, Goodson, Avery, Leo, Laulu, Bryan, Young, Anderson, Scott, Witt

• Like 1

As good a guess as any. 

My question / comments

- Not sure of QB rule in bringing up someone from the PS as many times as they want. If that is the rule, OK. But if not, I think they keep 3 active QBs. 

- I think you have one too many o’linemen making the roster. 

- I will be very curious what they do with Sermon. A very real possibility to me is IR and then a fresh body once he gets healthy 

- Not sure how hurt woods is but I see the same IR potential for him. Shelf him for 8 weeks and then see if they need him later in the year. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

As good a guess as any. 

My question / comments

- Not sure of QB rule in bringing up someone from the PS as many times as they want. If that is the rule, OK. But if not, I think they keep 3 active QBs. 

- I think you have one too many o’linemen making the roster. 

- I will be very curious what they do with Sermon. A very real possibility to me is IR and then a fresh body once he gets healthy 

- Not sure how hurt woods is but I see the same IR potential for him. Shelf him for 8 weeks and then see if they need him later in the year. 

I think the new rule is the third QB rule still works even if the QB is on the practice squad. As far as the extra linemen go, injuries just really worry me especially with Kelly and Smith. Even Raimann missed some games last year and I think Tucker has had a really good preseason 

2 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

Bean can run the offense much more like AR5 then Sam can, dont be surprised if they keep 2 as doubtful anyone will put in waivers for either. Bean could still see action as a WR down the road, also on st's.

You’re talking about a UDFA rookie who was a 6th year senior coming in and playing in the NFL. Thats a recipe for disaster.

Not sure if he was listed but I remember us picking up a LB from Kansas.. Any idea if he's still around and how he's done so far?? 

Watched the Cardinals replay and deleted it without paying much attention honestly.

I liked him in college and was hoping he sticks around. I've totally forgotten his name though.

• Like 1

Just now, IinD said:

Not sure if he was listed but I remember us picking up a LB from Kansas.. Any idea if he's still around and how he's done so far?? 

Watched the Cardinals replay and deleted it without paying much attention honestly.

I liked him in college and was hoping he sticks around. I've totally forgotten his name though.

Craig Young. I put him in the PS

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

You’re talking about a UDFA rookie who was a 6th year senior coming in and playing in the NFL. Thats a recipe for disaster.

What's disaster about an experienced college qb entering NFL to back up and run specific plays as needed. He sure has looked poised, I was surprised myself honestly, though Slovis may have a rebirth and captured his freshmen USC glory but Bean has shown very very well. 

5 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I would agree on potential

Im not looking for a QB3 that doesn’t have potential to be a QB2

Sam has shown us nothing in the regular season and a player like Bean that is mobile is worth a shot on the roster after 3 years of Sam 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Sure looked like the ball was  tilted at an angle when Gay missed the 2nd FG. 

3 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

What's disaster about an experienced college qb entering NFL to back up and run specific plays as needed. He sure has looked poised, I was surprised myself honestly, though Slovis may have a rebirth and captured his freshmen USC glory but Bean has shown very very well. 

Pre-season can be misleading. I think you’re underestimating how difficult it is to play QB (even as a backup) in the NFL. Again, this is a staff that prior to this one game was under the assumption that they’d be moving him to WR and was a practice squad guy at best. To think that after 1 game he could come in and run certain plays in a real game is a reach to say the least.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Is it still legal for Dulin to go to the PS?   

I would think if the Colts cut him, before we can reclaim him he’d be grabbed by another team.   So it’s hard to see that happening.  

It’s legal but there’s no way he’s not claimed by someone first. 

Johnson isn’t making the team. He was one of the worst graded DT’s in the NFL last season. He’s going to the PS or elsewhere. 

I also feel that he has one too many o-lineman listed. I think either Pinter or Freeland gets cut. It wouldn’t shock me to see them grab a different backup OT outside of the organization and send Freeland packing.  I think Pinter gets cut and Tucker makes the team.