Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

*Update: AD Mitchell signed

atapcl

3 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

For the person who thinks he is a spoiled brat and doesn’t understand how rookie contracts work I suggest you watch this. He is a good kid.

3 hours ago 

I'm so glad he's our " brat"

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Yoshinator said:

Adonai Mitchell signed btw. Tons of conditions had to be put in for him, including guaranteed money. The kid is a spoiled brat.

Unbelievable.  Tell me, what’s the criteria for being a spoiled brat?  

Because all the other rookie WR’s have clauses in their contracts too.   The Colts do a great job of signing players.  This signing doesn’t seem to bother the Colts, yet it bothers you enough to call Mitchell a spoiled brat.  Over nothing much out of the ordinary.  Thats why players have agents.  It’s why the Colts have Mike Bluem.  

You remain your own worst enemy.  

Goodness gracious.     :facepalm:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/3/2024 at 9:30 AM, Moosejawcolt said:

I have read numerous scouts and they had him ranked as the  #3 WR in the draft based on talent. I loved the pick but let's not fool ourselves, there is something that made him drop to the 2nd. I am not going to say it is character and/or lack of production. Ballard can go on his rant all he wants, but there was a reason. If he succeeds and becomes a legit #1, then we will wont care. My guess is if he fails to live up the hype, then we  it will leak out why he never reached his full potential. At this point, I couldn't care a less, as I loved the pick at the time and it was the Colts taking a chance with some questions about Mitchell. The one thing I did not like was Ballard going on his rant is he should have just kept quiet and said we like he player. Him going on a rant leaves him open to criticism if for example Mitchell does not work out and say it comes out that he has a poor attitude, work ethic etc.

Welcome back.   After taking a month off, you’ve returned.   I’m not sure where to start, so let’s try the night the Colts drafted Mitchell.  Late that night, you and another high profile Ballard-Hater had this conversation:  That you didn’t like CBs defense of Mitchell.  His big speech.  Why?  Because you guys agreed that “Ballard didn’t know enough about Mitchell to know if he was a good guy or not.”   Your words.  

When my chin came off the floor and my eyes back in my head I thought this:   Why would you OR the fans of any team ever think that what a GM shares on draft night is all he knows?   Because it isn’t.  A GM is sharing all that he wants to share, nothing more.  But what he doesn’t share is much, much more than what he does share.  Think an iceberg;  10 percent above water,  90 percent below.   A GM knows far more than he ever shares. 

And now you make this argument….   If Mitchell doesn’t work out, Ballard has left himself open to criticism.   Two words:  who cares?   A GM can’t do his job well if he’s afraid of criticism.  Do you think the Steelers care that George Pickens is totally crazy?   No.  They care he makes big plays for Pittsburgh and catches first downs and touchdowns.  Mike Tomlin deals with the crazy part in private.   A GM has to have thick skin.  Ballard clearly does.   And he doesn’t care what others think of him.  Nor should he.  

So far Mitchell seems to enjoy Indy.   I think the odds are good Ballard and Steichen can handle whatever baggage the kid brings.    

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

For the person who thinks he is a spoiled brat and doesn’t understand how rookie contracts work I suggest you watch this. He is a good kid.

3 hours ago 

Wow.  I am gonna love this kid.      Just wish they wouldn't have done that interview on a boat in choppy water, he has to be about seasick with all the waves rocking him back and forth.  

Yeah, I saw Xavier Worthy signing with the Chiefs and knew right away AD would be signed, just like I talked about the ripple effect of WRs drafted before AD first signing. It is only logical.

Chiefs' site said about Worthy:

The team’s first-round pick from the 2024 NFL Draft has signed a four-year, fully guaranteed deal worth $13.8 million, including a signing bonus of $6.85 million. In 2024, his cap hit is expected to be $2.5 million.

• Like 1

I remember way back in the summer of 2012 someone created a thread asking why Luck hadn’t signed yet. There was even a post with the title “Luck at Odds With the Colts” discussing some great divide between the contract language. 

While at Univ of Texas, Xavier Worthy got alot of targets but it was AD that came through with the clutch catches. To me as a Longhorn fan, I always felt that AD was the better WR. AD will sign after Xavier Worthy signs. Ballard will make it happen so that he gets more than Xavier. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

I remember way back in the summer of 2012 someone created a thread asking why Luck hadn’t signed yet. There was even a post with the title “Luck at Odds With the Colts” discussing some great divide between the contract language. 

There very well could have been a major point of contention on contract language, since 2012 was basically the first real year of the new CBA. They had to work through some of the finer points of rookie contracts, which didn't get as much attention in 2011 because everything had to happen so fast to get ready to play.

But to your point, while the Luck contract took longer than anyone wanted, it still got done before training camp, which is all that mattered. Something else that happened that offseason is Luck had to miss one of the minicamps because he was still finishing his final semester at Stanford.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AustexColt said:

While at Univ of Texas, Xavier Worthy got alot of targets but it was AD that came through with the clutch catches. To me as a Longhorn fan, I always felt that AD was the better WR. AD will sign after Xavier Worthy signs. Ballard will make it happen so that he gets more than Xavier. 

AD has reportedly already been signed.   And he won't make more than Worthy.  Not on his first contract anyway

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AustexColt said:

There are reports he already signed and due to slotted contracts now he can’t get more than Worthy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

So is every non signed player a self centered brat?

Wait did I miss something?

I’ve never called AD or any other player a self centered brat to my knowledge… I’m on AD’s side…

• Like 2

11 hours ago, RollerColt said:

Wait did I miss something?

I’ve never called AD or any other player a self centered brat to my knowledge… I’m on AD’s side…

I wasn't referring to you.   It's a call back to an post earlier in the thread.   My bad

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I wasn't referring to you.   It's a call back to a post earlier in the thread.   My bad

Ah got it, no worries. I’m actually surprised we managed to get them all signed this early. But this group really appears motivated. Latu and AD could be major contributors for us already!

• Like 5

• Superman changed the title to *Update: AD Mitchell signed

FWIW:    We all might want to consider that if the Colts are agreeing to terms with a draft pick or free agent player, that the franchise is good with the terms of the deal.  No player is dictating terms of the Contract to the Colts.  

From time to time, websites like NFL.com and PFF run a feature called “worst contract for each team”.   Often,  the Colts are listed as having “none”.   Sometimes it’ll be written as “The Colts really don’t have one, but if we must name one it’s Player X, but that contract really isn’t bad.”

Mike Bluem is very good at his job.  He works with the GM and owner very well.  The Colts are a team that typically has their draft class signed among the fastest compared to other teams.  

So if the Colts are good with a deal, the fan base should be good as well. 

• Like 2

Details from OTC: https://overthecap.com/player/adonai-mitchell/11660

Four years, $7,386,086 total value, $4,817,431 fully guaranteed at signing (65.2%, no info about offsets)

Signing bonus, $2,191,700 (prorated to $547,925/year)

Salaries for 2024 ($795,000) and 2025 ($1,130,731) are fully guaranteed at signing

Salary for 2026 ($1,466,462) partially guaranteed ($700,000) at signing (47.7%)

The #46 pick this year was Jonathon Brooks (coincidentally, the Colts original draft spot), to the Panthers. His contract is only guaranteed for the first two years, total of $4,914,107 guaranteed, which is 58.4% of the total value. At first, I thought this meant AD Mitchell's contract is pretty good, but apparently Brooks' contract is kind of bad. The next pick was Tyler Nubin (Giants), who has nearly all of his third year guaranteed. And last year, the #46 pick was Keion White (Patriots), and almost half of his third year was guaranteed. So Brooks seems to have undercut his guarantees. Some teams hold the line really well, so I was thinking maybe Carolina doesn't want guarantees in the third year, but they drafted Jonathan Mingo at #39 last year, and guaranteed almost half of his third year. Brooks probably could have done better if he had waited a few weeks.

The second round is kind of all over the place this year. There are still 11 guys unsigned, and a good number at the top and in the middle of the round. But all the way up at #40, Cooper DeJean (Eagles) only has $247k guaranteed in 2026, and his total percentage of guarantee is only 62.8%, so his contract isn't as favorable as Mitchell's. And then you have a few guys in the middle of the round -- like Jackson Powers-Johnson (Raiders, #44) and Edgerrin Cooper (Packers, #45) -- who have 2026 fully guaranteed (Cooper's is all but $76k).

But it's all going up. AD Mitchell has more favorable guarantees than Jonathan Taylor did when he was the #41 pick in 2020 (53.9%). Each draft class pushes it a little further than the previous class.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Superman said:

Details from OTC: https://overthecap.com/player/adonai-mitchell/11660

Four years, $7,386,086 total value, $4,817,431 fully guaranteed at signing (65.2%, no info about offsets)

Signing bonus, $2,191,700 (prorated to $547,925/year)

Salaries for 2024 ($795,000) and 2025 ($1,130,731) are fully guaranteed at signing

Salary for 2026 ($1,466,462) partially guaranteed ($700,000) at signing (47.7%)

The #46 pick this year was Jonathon Brooks (coincidentally, the Colts original draft spot), to the Panthers. His contract is only guaranteed for the first two years, total of $4,914,107 guaranteed, which is 58.4% of the total value. At first, I thought this meant AD Mitchell's contract is pretty good, but apparently Brooks' contract is kind of bad. The next pick was Tyler Nubin (Giants), who has nearly all of his third year guaranteed. And last year, the #46 pick was Keion White (Patriots), and almost half of his third year was guaranteed. So Brooks seems to have undercut his guarantees. Some teams hold the line really well, so I was thinking maybe Carolina doesn't want guarantees in the third year, but they drafted Jonathan Mingo at #39 last year, and guaranteed almost half of his third year. Brooks probably could have done better if he had waited a few weeks.

The second round is kind of all over the place this year. There are still 11 guys unsigned, and a good number at the top and in the middle of the round. But all the way up at #40, Cooper DeJean (Eagles) only has $247k guaranteed in 2026, and his total percentage of guarantee is only 62.8%, so his contract isn't as favorable as Mitchell's. And then you have a few guys in the middle of the round -- like Jackson Powers-Johnson (Raiders, #44) and Edgerrin Cooper (Packers, #45) -- who have 2026 fully guaranteed (Cooper's is all but $76k).

But it's all going up. AD Mitchell has more favorable guarantees than Jonathan Taylor did when he was the #41 pick in 2020 (53.9%). Each draft class pushes it a little further than the previous class.

Kool-Aid McKinstry(41), Kamari Lassiter(no.42), Max Melton(43) all have their 3d year completely guaranteed too. 

In general it seems like MItchell's contract is middle of the road type of contract. Some got more guaranteed, some less... 

• Like 3

On 6/4/2024 at 2:21 PM, Yoshinator said:

He is dictating terms to Ballard before he even plays a down in the NFL. He is a spoiled brat.

Thank you for this. :thmup:

This has to be the worst take I've seen on this forum in a very long time!  I wish there was a thumb down or dislike button for your post.

8 hours ago, stitches said:

Kool-Aid McKinstry(41), Kamari Lassiter(no.42), Max Melton(43) all have their 3d year completely guaranteed too. 

In general it seems like MItchell's contract is middle of the road type of contract. Some got more guaranteed, some less... 

Do you think positional value matters at all even with the rookie wage scale for Round 2? Pass rushers, DBs, WRs getting more guaranteed than LBs, RBs etc.??

6 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Do you think positional value matters at all even with the rookie wage scale for Round 2? Pass rushers, DBs, WRs getting more guaranteed than LBs, RBs etc.??

I think so. I think @Superman mentioned JT got less guaranteed on his rookie deal than AD. From looking at the RBs in this draft(Panthers RB Brooks (drafted no. 46) didn't get anything guaranteed for the 3d year), last year Zach Charbonnet didn't get any guarantees for his 3d year too ...

• Like 1

Defenses will learn quickly they have to supply a safety to help with AMitchell.

So if they also feel compelled to often support their run D with a safety of which I believe we will make them, our YAC should be fun to watch.

Mitchell lost Millions in fully guaranteed $ falling out of round 1. 

Those millions would look like lottery money to old pals and long lost cousins. 

I wish him great health and I can't wait to see him have some fun on them.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, chad72 said:

42 minutes ago, stitches said:

I think so. I think @Superman mentioned JT got less guaranteed on his rookie deal than AD. From looking at the RBs in this draft(Panthers RB Brooks (drafted no. 46) didn't get anything guaranteed for the 3d year), last year Zach Charbonnet didn't get any guarantees for his 3d year too ...

Yeah it probably does, but there are some outliers. In 2022, Kenneth Walker was the #41 pick, and he got most of Year 3 guaranteed. 

And if I were an agent for a 2nd round RB, my counter would be 'you valued him enough to draft him in the 30s/40s, his contract should look like everyone else drafted around him.' I would especially hold the line for a RB client, given the high turnover at that position. Squeeze as much guaranteed out of this contract as possible.

• Like 2

For those of you that dislike the trend of providing more guaranteed money, consider this: it is the first time these young men have a chance to secure the future for their families, be it a quality college or healthcare or whatever. Maybe the wife can even quit a cruddy job, who knows. Remember that the guaranteed money is pretty much always about covering for a nasty injury that could detour, or even end, their careers.

• Like 3

On 6/5/2024 at 2:48 PM, ADnum1 said:

Look I'll go one further.

Not only is he NOT a spoiled brat, but had he stayed at Georgia one more year, he could have easily gone in the top 8.  He could have gone as high as Odunze or Nabers.

He transferred out of Georgia to be closer to his infant daughter who lived in Texas.  That hurt his draft stock in that he played for the inaccurate Texas QB Quinn Ewers.

But this is what grown men do, they take responsibility for their children.  He could have been an absent Dad and stayed in Georgia but did the right thing by being a responsible father.

That is anything but a spoiled brat

I don't think he's a spoiled brat, but I really doubt that he was ever going to be a top 8 pick. Not with the production at UGA. I can't remember a UGA WR since Smart got there that had huge production. They can recruit so many good pass catchers...that they can just spread the ball around. 

On 6/5/2024 at 2:42 AM, NewColtsFan said:

Welcome back.   After taking a month off, you’ve returned.   I’m not sure where to start, so let’s try the night the Colts drafted Mitchell.  Late that night, you and another high profile Ballard-Hater had this conversation:  That you didn’t like CBs defense of Mitchell.  His big speech.  Why?  Because you guys agreed that “Ballard didn’t know enough about Mitchell to know if he was a good guy or not.”   Your words.  

When my chin came off the floor and my eyes back in my head I thought this:   Why would you OR the fans of any team ever think that what a GM shares on draft night is all he knows?   Because it isn’t.  A GM is sharing all that he wants to share, nothing more.  But what he doesn’t share is much, much more than what he does share.  Think an iceberg;  10 percent above water,  90 percent below.   A GM knows far more than he ever shares. 

And now you make this argument….   If Mitchell doesn’t work out, Ballard has left himself open to criticism.   Two words:  who cares?   A GM can’t do his job well if he’s afraid of criticism.  Do you think the Steelers care that George Pickens is totally crazy?   No.  They care he makes big plays for Pittsburgh and catches first downs and touchdowns.  Mike Tomlin deals with the crazy part in private.   A GM has to have thick skin.  Ballard clearly does.   And he doesn’t care what others think of him.  Nor should he.  

So far Mitchell seems to enjoy Indy.   I think the odds are good Ballard and Steichen can handle whatever baggage the kid brings.    

Nah, Ballard definitely has rabbit ears.