Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have the 15th pick in the draft. (MERGE)

24 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'd cross Latu off the list for the Colts. He's older, his explosive testing is below average, arm length is below average, and he has a rough medical history. 

Yes but what’s his RAS score?  I kid I kid.

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

Yes but what’s his RAS score?  I kid I kid.

Since you asked... His RAS score is actually higher than I thought it would be, based on his size and length. That 40 time and his splits are doing a lot to help bump it up.

Just now, Superman said:

Since you asked... His RAS score is actually higher than I thought it would be, based on his size and length. That 40 time and his splits are doing a lot to help bump it up.

I was joking but yeah that too much yellow and red for Ballard.

19 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Anyone know what Brock Bowers RAS SCore was or did he not work out? 

How do you not have a link to a tweet with the answer to that question?  haha

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

It’s been one of my criticisms of Ballard. Sometimes you just take the guy with college production who has good college stats.

Puka didn't have mind-blowing stats in college though. Maybe Keon Coleman is the next Puka. Numbers don't wow you and his combine was downright slow for a WR, but he ran faster in the gauntlet drills than anyone because he trusts his hands and his body. Disciplined WR who is always where he should be, and just catches the ball. Maybe Ladd McConkey is that too.

On 3/3/2024 at 11:00 AM, AwesomeAustin said:

Failures or not meeting expectations for their draft slot

1st: Malik Hooker, Paye and trade for Wentz. Would have to look deeper into the 2 other trades out of the first round to see what that actually turned into. 

2nd: Turray, Banogu, Rock, Paris, Pierce, Dayo, Wilson, Lewis

These are all players I feel have under performed for all types of reasons including injuries and scheme. I believe Lewis could be viewed either way depending on the person. He had a great year as a rotational guy. Will also say the jury is still out on Dayo and Pierce.  This year is pivotal for both of them. I may have missed some players bc I’m not that invested in this. 

I don’t think Ballard has been bad in the first two rounds but I do think it’s top heavy with the Nelson, Leonard, MPJ, Taylor and Smith picks. He really knocked it out of the park with those.  5 stars and 9-11 so so to bad picks. It really depends on the person if they view that as acceptable. I get both sides. Personally, stars win games and those 5 players are/were studs and that matters. Wish  we could have found an answer at DE with all the draft capital spent but overall I think Ballard drafts very well. 

This is where I criticize the coaching. It seems that our coaching, by words and deeds, don't expect enough performance from our players. I've found people usually can perform up to quite high expectations given the right guidance and support. But if you undercut that guidance and support with a lack of confidence (like instructing your players to play off on a soft defense like bend-don't-break), the whole thing falls apart.

This is why it's so hard to evaluate the players we have, and why so many of our players go on to perform better with other teams.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

This is where I criticize the coaching. It seems that our coaching, by words and deeds, don't expect enough performance from our players. I've found people usually can perform up to quite high expectations given the right guidance and support. But if you undercut that guidance and support with a lack of confidence (like instructing your players to play off on a soft defense like bend-don't-break), the whole thing falls apart.

This is why it's so hard to evaluate the players we have, and why so many of our players go on to perform better with other teams.

I have not followed former Colts much. Who is performing better after they left?  Hooker, Autry and Okereke come to mind but I felt they also played well here too. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

The entire scheme is to play soft zone.   It's not lack of confidence. 

20 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

It’s been one of my criticisms of Ballard. Sometimes you just take the guy with college production who has good college stats.

It’s good to obtain high level athletes, but you also want those guys to have had good production in college as well. Not sure what the production was from guys like Kemoko Turay and Ben Banagu, but I’d be willing to bet they weren’t the most productive and were drafted mainly on potential as they were both pretty raw coming out. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

It’s good to obtain high level athletes, but you also want those guys to have had good production in college as well. Not sure what the production was from guys like Kemoko Turay and Ben Banagu, but I’d be willing to bet they weren’t the most productive and were drafted mainly on potential as they were both pretty raw coming out. 

I 100% understand why Ballard does  it. It probably does increase chance of success. Go get the athletic guys and tell coaches to coach them up. Can’t argue too much with Ballards success. But once in awhile just take the good football player. Ones that are productive in college are probably more ready to play day 1. 

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

It depends on where you get them while betting on upsides and projects. Getting Ben Banogu and Kemoko Turay in Rounds 2 versus Round 4 is all the difference in missing out on other good football players with production. Robert Mathis, Polian got him in Round 4, when he bet on his upside and that upside ended up being HOF upside.

Ballard has adapted. The same high RAS, upside bet on DT Adetomiwa Adebawore, in 2023, he made it in Round 4, just like he SHOULD have with Ben Banogu and Kemoko Turay. He got the luxury to adapt on the job, some GMs don't get it, he should be thanking his lucky stars with Irsay being a patient owner after having 1 playoff win in 7 years with no division titles. Texans, Titans and Jaguars have all won a division title while Ballard was GM. 

You are what your record says you are, to quote Bill Parcells.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Ben was a 2 time all big 12 player

Turay was a freshman all American.   

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Ben was a 2 time all big 12 player

Turay was a freshman all American.   

Turay was promising. 2019 was going really well for him working under Justin Houston and then he broke his ankle and just never was the same. He had a couple surgeries on it, had a decent ‘21 season but never developed like intended. Injuries suck. 

• Like 1

On 3/8/2024 at 2:16 PM, chad72 said:

...he should be thanking his lucky stars with Irsay being a patient owner after having 1 playoff win in 7 years with no division titles. Texans, Titans and Jaguars have all won a division title while Ballard was GM. 

I've been a Ballard defender, but this fact is a massive indictment on his tenure. The second Luck retired, we should've put some random kid in at QB to get the #1 pick. I was always against his plan of putting in old used QBs to try and win. I would rather have had one terrible season over seven years of disappointment.

17 minutes ago, DattMavis said:

I've been a Ballard defender, but this fact is a massive indictment on his tenure. The second Luck retired, we should've put some random kid in at QB to get the #1 pick. I was always against his plan of putting in old used QBs to try and win. I would rather have had one terrible season over seven years of disappointment.

Water under the bridge.  What’s done is done.  Don’t cry. Over spilled milk.  

That’s all the cliches I can think of, at the moment.  It’s 2024.

33 minutes ago, DattMavis said:

…The second Luck retired, we should've put some random kid in at QB to get the #1 pick. I was always against his plan of putting in old used QBs to try and win…

I am operating under the belief that the consensus to trot out the veteran QBs was maybe not the course favored by Chris Ballard. If I’m reading the tea leaves correctly, Chris Ballard was part of a triumvirate that made those choices and he was not as warm on the idea as others in the consensus group. Maybe, probably, this is why he is still the GM. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Water under the bridge.  What’s done is done.  Don’t cry. Over spilled milk.  

That’s all the cliches I can think of, at the moment.  It’s 2024.

I've been 100% on AR being our franchise QB even before we drafted him, but I don't see anything wrong with looking back to critique the past to ensure you don't repeat it. God forbid in three years Anthony decides to retire after another bad injury, I would hope Irsay and Ballard would try to swing for another early pick QB rather than signing a 38 year old Kirk Cousins to limp along.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DattMavis said:

Well….  The second Luck retired it was already mid-August.   And they didn’t put and old used QB to start.  They elevated Jacoby Brissett.

It wasn’t until the following year that they went with Philip Rivers and he did GREAT!   Won 12 games and nearly won the playoff game in Buffalo.   The year after the Colts went with Wentz who was under 30 and did pretty well until the last two weeks of the season.   The Colts didn’t go old until the 22 season when they went with Ryan and to me the biggest problem was that the offensive line play was beyond terrible.  

The reason the Colts went with a series of veteran WB’s is because they were trying to win now.  The team was b built to win IF they could only get the quarterback right.  Ballard recently said he has failed to get the quarterback right all these years. But he took this approach with the full support of the owner.   

• Like 3

1 minute ago, w87r said:

I think it would take a miracle for Bowers to make it to the Colts.  What I am hoping for is we acquire Sneed and then draft Terrian Arnold to start at CB opposite him.  Those two along with Moore would make an awesome trio in the defensive backfield.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I think it would take a miracle for Bowers to make it to the Colts.  What I am hoping for is we acquire Sneed and then draft Terrian Arnold to start at CB opposite him.  Those two along with Moore would make an awesome trio in the defensive backfield.  

Are you giving up on JuJu already?  I definitely want a veteran CB, but I'm hoping for a receiver for our first pick.  If not Bowers, then Thomas Jr.  

I think we should surround AR with as many weapons as possible.  Our TE group is okay, as long as Woods ever can play again, and if Ogletree gets reinstated.  I get that none of them compare to Bowers, but as you said, he may be gone.

12 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Are you giving up on JuJu already?  I definitely want a veteran CB, but I'm hoping for a receiver for our first pick.  If not Bowers, then Thomas Jr.  

I think we should surround AR with as many weapons as possible.  Our TE group is okay, as long as Woods ever can play again, and if Ogletree gets reinstated.  I get that none of them compare to Bowers, but as you said, he may be gone.

I would draft a prospect as talented as Arnold at corner.  He would immediately start and imo be a significant upgrade over JuJu.  Arnold would be my preference.

12 hours ago, richard pallo said:

If Bowers and 4 QBs go before the Colts I could see a possibility where Rome Odunze is available. 

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

I would draft a prospect as talented as Arnold at corner.  He would immediately start and imo be a significant upgrade over JuJu.  Arnold would be my preference.

Over Wiggins and Kool-Aid?

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

I would be beyond shocked if McCarthy went top 7. 

Rumors are the Giants want him at #6.

So if someone below that wants him they will need to trade up.

3 hours ago, w87r said:

Rumors are the Giants want him at #6.

So if someone below that wants him they will need to trade up.

The Giants must take a WR unless one of the top three QBs fall. They have a good chance at Nabers, Odunze or MHJr. I don't think McCarthy is that much better than what they have. JMO

7 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

The Giants must take a WR unless one of the top three QBs fall. They have a good chance at Nabers, Odunze or MHJr. I don't think McCarthy is that much better than what they have. JMO

Just saw a rumor a few minutes ago about Vikings wanting to trade to top 5 and get JJ.

1 minute ago, w87r said:

Just saw a rumor a few minutes ago about Vikings wanting to trade to top 5 and get JJ.

Yeah, I have seen that. I hope not. I want to stay put and draft BPA at 11 and 23 or draft Daniels (not likely).

On 3/4/2024 at 4:12 PM, csmopar said:

Ballard is gonna pick one of the following at 15 if he doesn’t trade down:

QB

RB

FB

WR

TE

OL

DL

LB

CB

FS