Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard should stop chasing Sneed

There’s conflicting reports which means some folks sources are saying one thing while other peoples sources are saying another.  Doesn’t mean anybody is wrong or lying, that’s what they are being told 

1 hour ago, Nate! said:

There’s conflicting reports which means some folks sources are saying one thing while other peoples sources are saying another.  Doesn’t mean anybody is wrong or lying, that’s what they are being told 

Easy fix, name the source.... 

• Thanks 1

I absolutely believe there was contact with KC about Sneed, but I think the info about how far things were is likely his agent playing up interest in him to drive up the price with KC.

I started thinking about every trade Ballard has done and I don't recall there being any noise before the trade was announced (Buckner, Ryan, etc), which is pretty consistent with what we've seen from Ballard and our FO. The fact that there were multiple people reporting about this "imminent" Sneed trade tells me that we were never anywhere as close as reports made it seem.

Personally, I'd love an veteran presence brought in at CB, but I don't think Sneed is that player. The cost of draft capital, a market setting contract, and concerns about a lingering knee injury are enough for me to be happy nothing had materialized. Sneed isn't even the best CB on his own team, isn't even a top 5 CB in the league (potentially not even top 10), so a market setting contract would be the antithesis of Ballard's philosophy of not paying A money for B players.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Shive said:

I absolutely believe there was contact with KC about Sneed, but I think the info about how far things were is likely his agent playing up interest in him to drive up the price with KC.

I started thinking about every trade Ballard has done and I don't recall there being any noise before the trade was announced (Buckner, Ryan, etc), which is pretty consistent with what we've seen from Ballard and our FO. The fact that there were multiple people reporting about this "imminent" Sneed trade tells me that we were never anywhere as close as reports made it seem.

Personally, I'd love a veteran presence brought in at CB, but I don't think Sneed is that player. The cost of draft capital, a market setting contract, and concerns about a lingering knee injury are enough for me to be happy nothing had materialized. Sneed isn't even the best CB on his own team, isn't even a top 5 CB in the league (potentially not even top 10), so a market setting contract would be the antithesis of Ballard's philosophy of not paying A money for B players.

I actually think the trade for Sneed was just about done before the leak happened.  Then it became jeopardized with the leak.  I think Ballard decided to tell Schefty they weren’t talking just to ice it for awhile and cool everything down so everyone can catch their breath and resume talks at a later date.  I don’t think it’s 100% off the table.  That’s just my opinion of course.  I know Ballard has kept a tight ship in the past but things can change over time.  Every organization has turnover. All it takes is one or two to slip up intentionally or not.  I don’t really concern myself with the cost or contract or injury issues.  They will figure that out.  If it happens all parties involved are happy.  FWIW I’m more concerned with Brent’s injury issues than Sneed.  Brent’s goes back to college and continued with the Colts.  They are part of the risks playing the game.  I hope this year he shakes them.  I think Ballard is going to bring in a couple of veteran players to help shore up the secondary.  He cannot do nothing imo.  If it’s not Sneed it might be a veteran currently on another teams roster.  If I were in his shoes all options are on the table.  And they should be.  He doesn’t have much time left to get the job done and he knows it.  Still very early so I’m just being patient like most here.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I actually think the trade for Sneed was just about done before the leak happened.  Then it became jeopardized with the leak.  I think Ballard decided to tell Schefty they weren’t talking just to ice it for awhile and cool everything down so everyone can catch their breath and resume talks at a later date.  I don’t think it’s 100% off the table.  That’s just my opinion of course.  I know Ballard has kept a tight ship in the past but things can change over time.  Every organization has turnover. All it takes is one or two to slip up intentionally or not.  I don’t really concern myself with the cost or contract or injury issues.  They will figure that out.  If it happens all parties involved are happy.  FWIW I’m more concerned with Brent’s injury issues than Sneed.  Brent’s goes back to college and continued with the Colts.  They are part of the risks playing the game.  I hope this year he shakes them.  I think Ballard is going to bring in a couple of veteran players to help shore up the secondary.  He cannot do nothing imo.  If it’s not Sneed it might be a veteran currently on another teams roster.  If I were in his shoes all options are on the table.  And they should be.  He doesn’t have much time left to get the job done and he knows it.  Still very early so I’m just being patient like most here.

I still feel this way too. One thing I have thought of was they need to restructure some contracts before signing him. So they want to keep it on the down low so nobody jumps in. Maybe just being hopeful but none of this offseason makes any sense. 

• Like 1

I just read an article on BR where Nate Taylor of the Athletic is quoted as saying Sneed does not want to play under the franchise tag.  And he is looking for a 3 or 4 year contract that would make him “one of the highest paid corners in the league”.   This is very different from being the highest paid corner in the league which is what has been previously reported.  So if this new reporting is accurate then I think trading for Sneed is still very much a possibility.  

On 3/21/2024 at 7:53 AM, Shive said:

Personally, I'd love an veteran presence brought in at CB, but I don't think Sneed is that player. The cost of draft capital, a market setting contract, and concerns about a lingering knee injury are enough for me to be happy nothing had materialized. Sneed isn't even the best CB on his own team, isn't even a top 5 CB in the league (potentially not even top 10), so a market setting contract would be the antithesis of Ballard's philosophy of not paying A money for B players.

I am not sure the capital will be that high. Sneed is wanting a new contract, so  KC has to decide to trade him now or most likely get nothing for him next year. KC is smart that way, as they are ahead of the curb kind of like Bill was when he had no intention of signing a player. Get rid of him when the value is high. It really depends on his medical. If he was  in great shape, I may go as high  as a  2nd, but no higher. You might even get him for a 3rd but yes the knee would be a concern unless he checks out. You could also build that into the contract with more guarntee money upfront.

23 minutes ago, Old Man and the COLTS said:

Per PFT article I just saw on yahoo sports Seems Titians have framework for deal all set with Chiefs its Sneed asking price holding that deal up Maybe Ballard read this topic and agrees to stop pursuing Sneed lol

That deal fell apart quite awhile ago and they signed Calvin Ridley instead which took them out of a Sneed pursuit.

6 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

That deal fell apart quite awhile ago and they signed Calvin Ridley instead which took them out of a Sneed pursuit.

Thanks

Just an fyi and fwiw Nate Taylor from Athletic  says it was last week Probably at same time we thought we were still in it on trade 

16 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Titans still have plenty of money.

Prob sitting around $40m after their last 3 contract gets entered

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Old Man and the COLTS said:

Per PFT article I just saw on yahoo sports Seems Titians have framework for deal all set with Chiefs its Sneed asking price Yep. holding that deal up Maybe Ballard read this topic and agrees to stop pursuing Sneed lol

It also says the Chiefs are seeking no less than a second round pick.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/report-titans-trade-for-ljarius-sneed-stymied-by-contract-talks

Report: Titans’ trade for L’Jarius Sneed stymied by contract talks

...The Chiefs gave cornerback L’Jarius Sneed permission to seek a trade on Feb. 28. More than three weeks later, nothing has changed.

Nate Taylor of TheAthletic.com reports that the Chiefs and Titans had the framework for a trade last week, but Tennessee could not come to terms with Sneed on a long-term deal...

...Sneed is seeking a three- or four-year deal that will make him one of the highest-paid players at his position.

That has not happened and might not happen, especially now with free agency soon to enter its third week...

...The Vikings, Colts, Patriots, Lions, Falcons and Jaguars also reportedly expressed interest in Sneed, whose franchise tag number of $19.8 million counts against the Chiefs’ salary cap. The Lions traded with the Bucs to acquire cornerback Carlton Davis, and according to Taylor, the Patriots, Vikings and Falcons have “stopped engaging” with the Chiefs about Sneed.

Jaire Alexander’s $21 million per year average is the highest in the NFL at the position, with Denzel Ward and Jalen Ramsey also at $20 million per season or more. Four other cornerbacks average at least $19 million per season.

Sneed has never made the Pro Bowl and was called for 18 penalties last season, including the postseason.

The Chiefs were seeking at least a second-round pick for Sneed, according to Taylor, but the trade compensation has become the easiest part of a complicated deal that now may or may not happen.

3 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/report-titans-trade-for-ljarius-sneed-stymied-by-contract-talks

...The Chiefs gave cornerback L’Jarius Sneed permission to seek a trade on Feb. 28. More than three weeks later, nothing has changed.

Nate Taylor of TheAthletic.com reports that the Chiefs and Titans had the framework for a trade last week, but Tennessee could not come to terms with Sneed on a long-term deal...

...Sneed is seeking a three- or four-year deal that will make him one of the highest-paid players at his position.

That has not happened and might not happen, especially now with free agency soon to enter its third week...

...The Vikings, Colts, Patriots, Lions, Falcons and Jaguars also reportedly expressed interest in Sneed, whose franchise tag number of $19.8 million counts against the Chiefs’ salary cap. The Lions traded with the Bucs to acquire cornerback Carlton Davis, and according to Taylor, the Patriots, Vikings and Falcons have “stopped engaging” with the Chiefs about Sneed.

Jaire Alexander’s $21 million per year average is the highest in the NFL at the position, with Denzel Ward and Jalen Ramsey also at $20 million per season or more. Four other cornerbacks average at least $19 million per season.

Sneed has never made the Pro Bowl and was called for 18 penalties last season, including the postseason.

The Chiefs were seeking at least a second-round pick for Sneed, according to Taylor, but the trade compensation has become the easiest part of a complicated deal that now may or may not happen.

Thanks I’m for showing the link Not my cup of tea lol

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Old Man and the COLTS said:

Thanks

Just an fyi and fwiw Nate Taylor from Athletic  says it was last week Probably at same time we thought we were still in it on trade 

I think there is a high probability we are still working on a trade actually.  The fact that he’s not insisting on being the highest paid is huge.  When the tag is 19.8 and the highest is 21 I can’t believe they can’t find a number that works for both sides.  The question comes down to which team.  Hopefully this is Ballard’s big swing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

Report also says Vikings, Falcons and Patriots have stopped engaging with Chiefs... So, Colts, Titans and Lions may still be in talks or keeping their line open. 

2 hours ago, Old Man and the COLTS said:

Per PFT article I just saw on yahoo sports Seems Titians have framework for deal all set with Chiefs its Sneed asking price holding that deal up Maybe Ballard read this topic and agrees to stop pursuing Sneed lol

Ballard only reads the Title of each topic in this forum lol haha anyway, he should've got the message to stop pursuing Sneed :funny:

In a new BR article tonight Dianna Russini is reporting that the Chiefs were originally asking for a 2nd pick for Sneed.  They really want to move Sneed.  She now thinks multiple picks will get it done.  She mentioned picks 46, 82, and 117 would get the deal done with the Colts.  Does she know something?  The hangup is the contract for Sneed.  He definitely doesn’t want to play on the tag.  It sounds like he has moved off his position of wanting to be the highest paid corner.  So now it’s a matter of agreeing on the contract.  She now thinks the Colts are the front runner to land Sneed.  Another team could jump in but his market has cooled somewhat throughout the league but the Colts seem the most likely in her mind.  Albert Breer was also mentioned in the article.  He thinks Sneed will be traded before the draft.

27 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

In a new BR article tonight Dianna Russini is reporting that the Chiefs were originally asking for a 2nd pick for Sneed.  They really want to move Sneed.  She now thinks multiple picks will get it done.  She mentioned picks 46, 82, and 117 would get the deal done with the Colts.  Does she know something?  The hangup is the contract for Sneed.  He definitely doesn’t want to play on the tag.  It sounds like he has moved off his position of wanting to be the highest paid corner.  So now it’s a matter of agreeing on the contract.  She now thinks the Colts are the front runner to land Sneed.  Another team could jump in but his market has cooled somewhat throughout the league but the Colts seem the most likely in her mind.  Albert Breer was also mentioned in the article.  He thinks Sneed will be traded before the draft.

The front runner was always the Titans. Chiefs insider stated the Titans and Chiefs had an agreement that fell through, then Destin ran with that story of the colts and chiefs were nearing a trade

• Like 1

Just now, runthepost said:

The front runner was always the Titans. Chiefs insider stated the Titans and Chiefs had an agreement that fell through, then Destin ran with that story of the colts and chiefs were nearing a trade

Looks that way.  They really got very little in return.  Really anxious to get that cap space.

3 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

Wow.

The forum is going to implode here soon…… Not going to lie this doesn’t sting. It’s flat out just depressing. Literally every team in the AFC south made considerable moves to improve. We’ve done..? I don’t even know anymore. If we get cooked this year Ballards seat will be exceptionally HOT. 

Here’s to hoping he crushes the draft because FA “so far” has been an unmitigated disaster. Players that were close to deals here went with other teams in our own division. *sigh*

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, adubb84 said:

The forum is going to implode here soon…… Not going to lie this doesn’t sting. It’s flat out just depressing. Literally every team in the AFC south made considerable moves to improve. We’ve done..? I don’t even know anymore. If we get cooked this year Ballards seat will be exceptionally HOT. 

Here’s to hoping he crushes the draft because FA “so far” has been an unmitigated disaster. Players that were close to deals here went with other teams in our own division. *sigh*

Hey. We got a depth DT! That’s the piece we’ve been missing to make the playoffs and more!

3 minutes ago, adubb84 said:

Titans improved on offense and defense. Texans improved their Defense, Jags had a ok FA meanwhile our  awful secondary hasn't improved one bit.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Yall remember when it was stated trades don’t get announced till after a physical is passed? Those damn trolls on Twitter :lol:

“Trade is pending physical for Sneed”

Lots of eggs going on some people’s face to today. 

New York Comedy GIF by HULU

The Titans has a bunch of cap space, so I'm curious what they kind of contract they're giving him. For anyone that gets upset about the minimal draft capital given up, keep in mind that the biggest hurdle in this trade was always Sneed's contract. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

Titans improved on offense and defense. Texans improved their Defense, Jags had a ok FA meanwhile our  awful secondary hasn't improved one bit.

This has to be the quietest Ballard has been in FA when it was about acquiring outside FA.  Two players at the end of the 3rd week.  We know he doesn’t participate initially but this is head shaking.

• Like 1

Anyone that said colts weren’t involved with sneed is a goofy. This proves they were. Y’all can @ me if yall want but don’t do t if yall can’t handle the heat. It makes me happy that Destin was right and yall were trying to mock him lol he was right all along 

• Like 1