Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts offseason discussion / Ballard Grievances (merge)

DE:(6) Samson Ebukam, Kwity Paye, Dayo Odeyingbo, Tyquan Lewis, Titus Leo, Isaiah Land 

DT:(5) Deforest Buckner, Grover Stewart, Raekwon Davis, Adetomiwa Adebawore, Eric Johnson

DL is looking pretty solidified right now.

Wouldn't mind adding though.

And subtracting Johnson.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Speculating.  Do you think ANY part is unreasonable?    

And a contract of 2/14 tells me Ballard doesn’t think Davis is a JAG.   I grant you he’s BEEN a jag.  And that’s why I think the opinion of the new top DL coach played a huge factor in signing Davis.   We all know how tight Ballard is with money.  He doesn’t give 2/14 in FA to a guy he thinks is going to be a jag.  Ballard listens to his scouts and coaches.  

I think we should also wait for the actual details of the contract.  Not only with Davis, but all of the signings.  I assume there will be an easy wait on on Moore after two year's for example.  I 'm guessing Davis' contract will have an out after year one for the Colts as well.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I understand you were looking at it from the Colts point of view.   I was trying to see it from Fields’s point of view.   I want to see him play as much as possible.   

But flipping the script, I can see what you’re saying, and there would be clear benefits for the Colts.  I’m confident that a Mad Scientist like Steichen could come up with a number of gadget plays for Fields to use all season long.  

I think having Justin Fields sitting behind Richardson would be a major distraction. For everyone. Fields needs to be in a situation where he can compete for the top job. He wouldn’t be happy in Indy and the Colts will want a guy who is fine being #2 to their young QB in whom they are investing their future. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Speculating.  Do you think ANY part is unreasonable?    

And a contract of 2/14 tells me Ballard doesn’t think Davis is a JAG.   I grant you he’s BEEN a jag.  And that’s why I think the opinion of the new top DL coach played a huge factor in signing Davis.   We all know how tight Ballard is with money.  He doesn’t give 2/14 in FA to a guy he thinks is going to be a jag.  Ballard listens to his scouts and coaches.  

I don’t think Charlie Partridge is even done evaluating our own guys let alone who he thinks we should add. I think this is entirely Ballard possibly with input from Bradley. 

That’s also why I think we’re looking at that Jags JAG safety who Bradley has had experience with - Rayshawn Jenkins. Another player who won’t move the needle for us. We’ll see, but that’s my guess. 

• Like 1

I love these signings. People don't think it's a big deal but it is. We won't have to use our picks just to replace guys lost to free agency by signing our own and signing Davis.

We can now simply draft the best players that our available without chasing positions.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Iron Colt said:

I love these signings. People don't think it's a big deal but it is. We won't have to use our picks just to replace guys lost to free agency by signing our own and signing Davis.

We can now simply draft the best players that our available without chasing positions.

Well the one big hole remains safety and signs don’t seem to be pointing to Blackmon coming back.  

20 minutes ago, w87r said:

DE:(6) Samson Ebukam, Kwity Paye, Dayo Odeyingbo, Tyquan Lewis, Titus Leo, Isaiah Land 

DT:(5) Deforest Buckner, Grover Stewart, Raekwon Davis, Adetomiwa Adebawore, Eric Johnson

And subtracting Johnson.

I'd like to see someone take Johnson's spot

Destin is funny lol

But at least we are talking. As I expect we are. Probably super active and just not able to close the deal on guys. 

Ultimately free agency isn't just about fit. Most guys go where the money is. So it is either outbid everyone for a player (which I don't think Ballard will ever do. Just not in his DNA)or you mine for diamonds in the rough.

Still, I would love to see a savvy vet like Simmons on the back end.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I don’t think Charlie Partridge is even done evaluating our own guys let alone who he thinks we should add. I think this is entirely Ballard possibly with input from Bradley. 

That’s also why I think we’re looking at that Jags JAG safety who Bradley has had experience with - Rayshawn Jenkins. Another player who won’t move the needle for us. We’ll see, but that’s my guess. 

I think the chances of the new DL coach having not having input on this decision are right around zero.  

A DL coach can walk and chew gum at the same time.  He can be evaluating lots of Colts players and take some time out of his day to evaluate another player Ballard is interested in.   It’s as straight forward as that.   Sorry we disagree on this.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think the chances of the new DL coach having not having input on this decision are right around zero.  

A DL coach can walk and chew gum at the same time.  He can be evaluating lots of Colts players and take some time out of his day to evaluate another player Ballard is interested in.   It’s as straight forward as that.   Sorry we disagree on this.  

Don’t be sorry. Different opinions is why discussing this stuff is interesting, otherwise it would just be an echochamber. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Solid84 said:

Don’t be sorry. Different opinions is why discussing this stuff is interesting, otherwise it would just be an echochamber. 

Appreciate the classy response.  I didn’t intend to sound snarky in my post.   Sorry if it was.   

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Like the one he was in today for Danielle Hunter?

Supposedly. There were multiple interested teams as I understand it. There’s no evidence the Colts were at the top of it and Ballard has never done it before. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Well the one big hole remains safety and signs don’t seem to be pointing to Blackmon coming back.  

We will sign him or someone else. Probably draft a guy too for good measure.

2 hours ago, stitches said:

Sure, why not... invest in all the areas that don't directly help your young QB. Linebackers, defensive tackles... give up day 2 picks for backup QB... anything to avoid improving our weapons for AR. That would be another very Ballard move. 

Building a defense that can shut down

the opponent and take the pressure to score 30 pts/game away also helps young QB’s.  

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Iron Colt said:

We will sign him or someone else. Probably draft a guy too for good measure.

Not saying the Colts won’t.  I am just saying there is one glaring hole on the roster that still needs to be addressed.

14 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Supposedly. There were multiple interested teams as I understand it. There’s no evidence the Colts were at the top of it and Ballard has never done it before. 

I know you nor his highness haven't a Clue how far Ballard's negotiator has gone in any individual negotiation, Ever. 

It would crazy to see like a documentary of how FA really plays out. Like cameras always being rolled and catching all conversations just to see how crazy it actually is. Get the inside scoop of things

• Like 1

It sucks that you guys are merging all of the free agent news in to one big thread. 

There are specific players that I would like to read discussions about and discuss; having it all combined is a mess. 

• Like 5

Mystery team lol

Just now, Tsarquise said:

It sucks that you guys are merging all of the free agent news in to one big thread. 

There are specific players that I would like to read discussions about and discuss; having it all combined is a mess. 

Why would we start a whole thread about 1 person? Can just talk about them in here so much easier?

3 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

That's what the next 4 months of dull period is for. 

8 minutes ago, tweezy32 said:

Mystery team lol

Why would we start a whole thread about 1 person? Can just talk about them in here so much easier?

I get a lot of my news from this site by reading the new thread titles. 

Had no clue about Minshew and Moss leaving. Instead it's jumbled in to a pile of free agent rumors and everything related free agency; It's ridiculous. They deserve their own thread. 

A "free agent rumors" thread makes sense and also specific news worthy threads of individual players, such as Pitman  (which ther eis) and Moore being re-signed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tsarquise said:

Had no clue about Minshew and Moss leaving. Instead it's jumbled in to a pile of free agent rumors and everything related free agency; It's ridiculous. They deserve their own thread. 

A "free agent rumors" thread makes sense and also specific news worthy threads of individual players, such as Pitman  (which ther eis) and Moore being re-signed.

I don't know if threads about other players have been merged into this thread. I think individual signings are worthy of their own thread, but the rumors and and other discussion has mostly been in this thread. 

So if people want to start a thread for individual signings, that should be fine. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, tweezy32 said:

It would crazy to see like a documentary of how FA really plays out. Like cameras always being rolled and catching all conversations just to see how crazy it actually is. Get the inside scoop of things

Exactly the opposite of whatever main stream media assumes haha

3 hours ago, Tsarquise said:

Have to agree 100%. Seems pretty common around here nowadays the lumping everything into one mega thread thats impossible to navigate. Unless your checking in every 10 minutes or spending hours reading it. For people like me who check in maybe once a day for 10 minutes its basically not even possible to figure out all the moves the colts have made. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Superman said:

Why are you glad we signed him?

Very fair question…. 

Because it’s outside of what Ballard normally does.  It’s an un-Ballard-like decision, especially for Day 2 of free agency.  

2/14 tells me Ballard thinks he’s really beefing up the DL.  That the signing is likely heavily influenced by the new highly regarded DL coach.  I have to believe Ballard asked him to look at the tape for an evaluation.  And that the new coach said I’d love to work with him.  I mean, Davis had a very good rookie year, then 3 straight very poor years according to PFF.  That is so unlike Ballard.  Even when Ballard signed Ebukum last year, no one had ever heard of him, but at least he had very good PFF grades.   We took comfort in that.  This is the opposite.  It tells me Ballard asked the new DL coach to look at his film for an up or down vote.  Do you like him?  Can you work with him?  And the DL coach gave a thumbs up.  I have to believe the new coach played THE determining role in whether we’d spend 2/14 on what, at the surface,  looks like a backup.   But maybe there’s more there than meets the eye?   Has Ballard ever spent 2/14 on a backup?   At any position?   Not to my memory.  

Put another way, if the Colts had NOT acquired this new highly thought of DL coach I think I’d be very, VERY nervous.  Maybe even seriously worried.  But that hire of the position coach is easily my favorite Colts move.  Perhaps my favorite move in a number of years.  He was wanted by other NFL teams and colleges as well.  He could go anywhere and he picked the Colts.   So I see his finger prints all over this decision. 

On a more personal note:  I want to apologize if my posts to you were a bit too blunt and direct.   You seemed somewhat off your game and it caught me off guard.  So I wanted to elevate the conversation but later worried I might’ve gone too far.  Sorry if I did. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

It’s clear you don’t get it.   

If you had bothered to look back one more year you’d have found that in Davis’s rookie year he graded out in the 70’s.    So you missed that.  

That was like a 4 years ago. Since then he's been at best mediocre. 

And you've apparently forgotten the Colts hired the top DL coach available.   Do you think maybe he had some input on this signing?   Like maybe the coach said he can work with the player.   

Maybe? How much weight would you put on that? From a coach who's never coached in the NFL? I think our pro scouting and player personnel department had much more to do with it than the new coach. 

Ballard does the normal and you don’t like it.   Now Ballard does something out of the ordinary and you don’t like that either.   I think I spit a trend.    :facepalm:

That's the thing... this is nothing new. This is the exact same thing Ballard does every year - this is the Isaac Rochelle, Taven Bryan, Sam Tevi of this year. Pick up a failed/mediocre at best player for depth/reclamation project in the trenches. Except this year, he's paying 14M for that depth piece, who you hope will never see the field(i,e, Grover stays healthy). And I don't mind the addition of depth to the roster. We needed a better backup for Grover. I just don't like the allocation of resources. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Superman said:

My disagreement is with the way we're using resources. I think there are certain areas where the team needs to make significant improvements, and I would have liked to see the cap allocated to those areas. Backup/rotational NT/DT isn't one of those areas.

Yeah, not going to lie. I'm starting to lose faith in Ballard's team building philosophy. This extreme obsession with the trenches has never really materialized in a superior defense despite the fact that Ballard has been here for many years. I think Steichen will save us on the offense side of the ball regarding team building, but I dislike that Ballard does not put a consistent premium on DB (CB + FS). Sure, he will get a good CB like Gilmore once in a while, but you can never trust that we will have a good DB when going into a new season. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, w87r said:

And subtracting Johnson.

Really not a very impressive D line for Ballard being obsessed with the trenches.

Houston has Will Anderson, Danielle Hunter, and D. Autry (The Colts killer)… Our offensive line is going to get obliterated.

7 hours ago, Tsarquise said:

Only 1 player signing thread(Grover Stewart)has been merged into this one. Everything has just been posted here.

Grover Stewart thread got merged because it didn't have a reply in an hour, all the talk was in the main thread 

5 hours ago, Superman said:

I don't know if threads about other players have been merged into this thread. I think individual signings are worthy of their own thread, but the rumors and and other discussion has mostly been in this thread. 

So if people want to start a thread for individual signings, that should be fine. 

I started one for Stewart that got merged 

8 hours ago, w87r said:

And subtracting Johnson.

absolutely agree.  

• Like 1