Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Let’s talk Drafting Receivers In the Draft

If this thread is somewhere else I apologize… but feel free to talk about this wide receiver draft class… has anybody here watched them? Are there any quick twitched wide receivers like #1 (correct me if I’m wrong) for the Jaguars? If so, who? He was “more slippery than a rain drop”!

2 hours ago, Boss7894 said:

If this thread is somewhere else I apologize… but feel free to talk about this wide receiver draft class… has anybody here watched them? Are there any quick twitched wide receivers like #1 (correct me if I’m wrong) for the Jaguars? If so, who? He was “more slippery than a rain drop”!

#1 is Travis Etienne, a RB.

2 hours ago, Boss7894 said:

The "quickest twitch" receiver in this draft is Texas' Xavier Worthy.  However, he's also 6-1 and only 164 pounds.  He's rail thin, would be pushed around, and would be useless blocking downfield.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

The "quickest twitch" receiver in this draft is Texas' Xavier Worthy.  However, he's also 6-1 and only 164 pounds.  He's rail thin, would be pushed around, and would be useless blocking downfield.

FWIW:  Steichen may find Worthy's size appealing, or perhaps it won’t scare him off.   Philly spent a 1 on Smith, a rail thin WR with similar dimensions and he produced for Philly.  

Just thinking out loud….   

• Like 9

Worthy or Legette are probably the quickest/fastest WRs in the draft that are “highly” projected.

Worthy is small and very twitchy. Legette has some size to him but has great straight line speed.

10 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

My thing with Worthy is he’s just too small. 

Zay Flowers and Josh Downs were considered small last season - especially for a Colts WR. Worthy is 10 lbs lighter than Downs and 20 lbs lighter than Flowers…

No doubt he’s fast and all than, but… is he even going to survive his first NFL season lol?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

FWIW:  Steichen may find Worthy's size appealing, or perhaps it won’t scare him off.   Philly spent a 1 on Smith, a rail thin WR with similar dimensions and he produced for Philly.  

Just thinking out loud….   

Produced well too, and has stayed healthy.  Some guys (TY) know how to get down and avoid the big hits.   

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ShuteAt168 said:

Harrison, Nabers, Odunze and TE Bowers will probably be gone by Colts pick. Most mocks have LSU’s Thomas as the next WR. 

If that is the case, looks like that might set the table in order for the colts to select one of the top CB's or FS.

• Thanks 1

The thing is, the sweet spot for the WRs is from late 1st to top of 2nd round, IMO. After that, I anticipate a small drop off after Round 2 where you have good WRs but the explosive playmakers will be gone, I feel.

So, this draft feels like Ballard has more to gain dropping back 5-10 spots and gaining picks on Day 2 to get more defensive prospects.

So, I will just discuss the ones from mid to late 1st round WRs to 2nd round WRs:

1. Brian Thomas Jr. - have a hard time seeing him get past No. 24 (Cowboys) with so many other teams looking to add WRs from the 16-24 range. So, if Ballard wants him, he either gets him at No.15 or moves back and looks at other ones.

2. Adonai Mitchell - X WR all over again, Michael Pittman Jr. all over again (not that it is bad), we need a bit different for variety.

3. Ladd McConkey - sets up DBs like no one else, just that it is hard to project him outside at the NFL level but he has played excellent competition. But he is not 6'0", just 5'11" :) and if we don't project him outside, redundancy with Josh Downs introduced. Ballard is probably not drafting him.

4. Roman Wilson - his RAS is going to be top notch, he is barely 6'0" and if Ballard is looking for explosive, and he fits the bill along with playing good competition. He is definitely going to make some team happy. Perfect guy to draft as long as we stay before the Texans No.27 pick, should we move back

5. Troy Franklin and Xavier Worthy - Both have great twitch and are burners but while Troy is taller, both can struggle vs press coverage and physical CBs that they will find at the NFL level. If I had to choose one, I would choose Troy because the Colts did have a guy between Franklin and Worthy weight range, in Marvin Harrison and he ran circles around everyone but did get jammed by physical DBs in the playoffs. However times are different for DB contact rules, so Franklin at 187 lbs is a good explosive upside shot worth taking, IMO.

6. Xavier Legette - Frankly, underwhelming Senior Bowl and little too long legged to hit top speed, gives me Hakeem Butler vibes, I personally would pass.

7. DeVontez Walker - His route running and production and ability to set up DBs on tape belies what he showed at the Senior Bowl. He is my dark horse Colts' 2nd round pick if they don't drop back in Round 1.

8. Keon Coleman - Another tall WR specimen that can play X and Z, but needs a little polish, IMO. Afraid to hedge my bets on him.

1., 4., 5. and 7. is where my heart and mind lies. :) 

• Like 5

My draft target is Jalin McMillian, Washington. He is completely under rated. Someone that could be there in the third round. He runs good routes and is able to adjust his speed during the route to create separation. He is just going to need to bulk up to be able to handle press coverage better. Had a knee injury in 2023 where Michigan State defender landed on him and the knee went awkward. Came back the same season. If it wasn't for that he would of had back to back 1000 yard seasons. I think he has a high ceiling and a fairly high floor.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, KB said:

My draft target is Jalin McMillian, Washington. He is completely under rated. Someone that could be there in the third round. He runs good routes and is able to adjust his speed during the route to create separation. He is just going to need to bulk up to be able to handle press coverage better. Had a knee injury in 2023 where Michigan State defender landed on him and the knee went awkward. Came back the same season. If it wasn't for that he would of had back to back 1000 yard seasons. I think he has a high ceiling and a fairly high floor.

Yes he is underrated but they didn't do him many favors with the routes they gave him either. It kind of pigeon holed him to be a slot candidate like Amon Ra Brown etc. but that isn't a bad thing. Just not sure if he will be considered before Round 3 as a result. 

19 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Yes he is underrated but they didn't do him many favors with the routes they gave him either. It kind of pigeon holed him to be a slot candidate like Amon Ra Brown etc. but that isn't a bad thing. Just not sure if he will be considered before Round 3 as a result. 

I'm perfectly fine with that. His stock will be interesting to see post combine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coltsbluefan said:

MHJ or Nabers..don’t like giving up future 1st round picks but in this case would give up our 15th,next years 1st and whatever lower picks it would take to move up and grab our future number 1 WR.

If I’m giving up future 1s, only one I’m taking is MHJ. Otherwise, no way. 

now I’d entertain trading up for Bowers but I wouldn’t give more than a 2 next to do it 

7 hours ago, chad72 said:

The thing is, the sweet spot for the WRs is from late 1st to top of 2nd round, IMO. After that, I anticipate a small drop off after Round 2 where you have good WRs but the explosive playmakers will be gone, I feel.

So, this draft feels like Ballard has more to gain dropping back 5-10 spots and gaining picks on Day 2 to get more defensive prospects.

So, I will just discuss the ones from mid to late 1st round WRs to 2nd round WRs:

1. Brian Thomas Jr. - have a hard time seeing him get past No. 24 (Cowboys) with so many other teams looking to add WRs from the 16-24 range. So, if Ballard wants him, he either gets him at No.15 or moves back and looks at other ones.

2. Adonai Mitchell - X WR all over again, Michael Pittman Jr. all over again (not that it is bad), we need a bit different for variety.

3. Ladd McConkey - sets up DBs like no one else, just that it is hard to project him outside at the NFL level but he has played excellent competition. But he is not 6'0", just 5'11" :) and if we don't project him outside, redundancy with Josh Downs introduced. Ballard is probably not drafting him.

4. Roman Wilson - his RAS is going to be top notch, he is barely 6'0" and if Ballard is looking for explosive, and he fits the bill along with playing good competition. He is definitely going to make some team happy. Perfect guy to draft as long as we stay before the Texans No.27 pick, should we move back

5. Troy Franklin and Xavier Worthy - Both have great twitch and are burners but while Troy is taller, both can struggle vs press coverage and physical CBs that they will find at the NFL level. If I had to choose one, I would choose Troy because the Colts did have a guy between Franklin and Worthy weight range, in Marvin Harrison and he ran circles around everyone but did get jammed by physical DBs in the playoffs. However times are different for DB contact rules, so Franklin at 187 lbs is a good explosive upside shot worth taking, IMO.

6. Xavier Legette - Frankly, underwhelming Senior Bowl and little too long legged to hit top speed, gives me Hakeem Butler vibes, I personally would pass.

7. DeVontez Walker - His route running and production and ability to set up DBs on tape belies what he showed at the Senior Bowl. He is my dark horse Colts' 2nd round pick if they don't drop back in Round 1.

8. Keon Coleman - Another tall WR specimen that can play X and Z, but needs a little polish, IMO. Afraid to hedge my bets on him.

1., 4., 5. and 7. is where my heart and mind lies. :) 

Thanks for writing this up.

I truly think that CB trades back to late round 1, from 15 to get 1 or 2 additional 2nd round picks

With these additional round 2 picks we could get a decent and possible year one starter at LB, TE, or, CB

That new late first round pick could be well suited for AD Mitchell, or Brian Thomas.

My top 4 realistic draft picks.  Not sure we take a WR in Round 1 but would look for Roman Wilson in Round 3 and Luke in Round 5.  Swing a trade for multiple Round 5 draft picks and add another offensive weapon in TE Ben Sinnott whom I think is probably the third best TE in the class. 

WR Adonai Mitchell (Texas) According to PFF, 110 FBS-level receivers in this draft class were targeted at least 55 times. He ranked 78th in yards per route (1.72), sixth in drop percentage (1.8 percent; one drop), 79th in contested catches (36.4 percent; 4-of-11) and 100th in YAC per catch (3.2). He caught 8-of-22 passes thrown 20-plus yards downfield.

WR Xavier Legette (SC) According to PFF, 110 FBS-level receivers in this draft class were targeted at least 55 times. He ranked fifth in yards per route (3.15), 18th in drop percentage (2.7), 49th in contested catches (47.6 percent; 10-of-21) and 29th in YAC per catch (6.4). He caught 13-of-24 passes thrown 20-plus yards downfield, good for an eighth-ranked 54.2 percent.

WR Roman Wilson (Michigan) - According to PFF, 110 FBS-level receivers in this draft class were targeted at least 55 times. He ranked 13th in yards per route (2.68), ninth in drop percentage (2.0 percent; one drop), 72nd in contested catches (37.5 percent; 3-of-8) and 67th in YAC per catch (4.6).

WR Luke McCaffrey (Rice) According to PFF, 110 FBS-level receivers in this draft class were targeted at least 55 times. He ranked 46th in yards per route (2.11), 32nd in drop percentage (4.1 percent; three drops), 11th in contested catches (60.7 percent; at 17-of-28, his 17 contested catches trail only Washington’s Rome Odunze) and 36th in YAC per catch (6.0).

14 hours ago, Yoshinator said:

I would love to draft Malachi Corley in the 2nd or 3rd round on day 2. He reminds me of Deebo Samuel, and with Shane Steichen as our coach, I think we could use him really well. Also only 21 years old.

If the Colts are looking for a YAC guy, Corley could be a target.  He does look like Debo.  Basically a RB once he has the ball.  I like him too.  It really depends on if they’re looking for a more vertical threat. Corely does show vertical shots on film but probably not his number one strength. 

• Like 1

My first thought is I see the FO doubling down on the WR position in the draft. 

In the past when they’ve had a position of need they’ve ‘seemed’ to draft two from that position group.

Having said that I’ll wait until free agency to start discussing possible names at any position.

I will say this, Alec Pierce will have a better season with AR5’s arm strength than he had with Gardner. 

I also hope they DON’T tag Pittman. I’m hoping they can sign him for less than 20mil a year! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

In the past when they’ve had a position of need they’ve ‘seemed’ to draft two from that position group.

Having said that I’ll wait until free agency to start discussing possible names at any position.

I will say this, Alec Pierce will have a better season with AR5’s arm strength than he had with Gardner. 

I also hope they DON’T tag Pittman. I’m hoping they can sign him for less than 20mil a year! 

To the bolded, that's just not happening. 

If we had been negotiating a contract extension and he still had a few years left on his contract, maybe.... But the FA price tag will drive his price up closer to £22m - £23m per year I reckon. Still worth it for us, we need him (and another WR threat in general) in a bad way.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Wouldn’t shock me to see MPJ walk.  Colts save money and sign Lion’s Josh Williams or better yet Texans Noah Brown.

If the Colts wanted to be real aggressive, make a trade with the Packers for WR-X Dontayvion Wicks.  The rookie was one of the best yards after catch receivers in the NFL (19th) and graded out 26th best receiver. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, OhioColt said:

Wouldn’t shock me to see MPJ walk.  Colts save money and sign Lion’s Josh Williams or better yet Texans Noah Brown.

If the Colts wanted to be real aggressive, make a trade with the Packers for WR-X Dontayvion Wicks.  The rookie was one of the best yards after catch receivers in the NFL (19th) and graded out 26th best receiver. 

I don't see it happening. We have cornered ourselves a bit, IMO. Plus, 1 game that he isn't there, none of the others could do much vs the Falcons. We don't have an all worldly QB like Mahomes to make it work with rookies, even Mahomes had that steady Kelce presence. That is why I feel MPJ stays. Ballard loves him, Steichen loves him, Colts locker room loves him, he is getting paid. 

• Like 1

The way I see it, it comes down to how comfortable you feel with the round 2 receivers and CBs. Most mocks have us picking one of the two in the first round. Assuming the top 3 guys are gone, the next WR up at our pick would be Brian Thomas Jr. The thought of him in an offense with AR is fun. But if you do that you’re passing on guys like Quinyon Mitchell or Terron Arnold at QB. But Thomas profiles similarly to Christian Watson who it is rumored that Ballard really liked in the draft, and also wanted the Packers to include him in a potential trade package for JT. Bowers who is a TE could also be considered a 1st round option.

If you’re comfortable passing on a guy like Thomas, then the next guys on day 2 are Tez Walker, possibly Keon Coleman, Xavier Worthy, and Xavier Legette. But the question is, do they move the needle the same way Thomas Jr. would? 

The 3rd option that I’ve thought about recently, is going the Packers route of WR by committee. The packers have a bunch of young WRs in Watson, Wicks, Doubs, Reed, Melton, and Musgrave at TE. So far none of them have shown to be a true WR1, but they’ve got 4-5 reliable options in the passing game. I wonder if we should just get extra day 2-3 picks and draft guys like Ricky Pearsall, Jalynn Polk, Tez Walker, Legette, etc.. Draft 2 guys and just have an elite rotation of guys. Focus on guys who can separate and make big plays.

16 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

The way I see it, it comes down to how comfortable you feel with the round 2 receivers and CBs. Most mocks have us picking one of the two in the first round. Assuming the top 3 guys are gone, the next WR up at our pick would be Brian Thomas Jr. The thought of him in an offense with AR is fun. But if you do that you’re passing on guys like Quinyon Mitchell or Terron Arnold at QB. But Thomas profiles similarly to Christian Watson who it is rumored that Ballard really liked in the draft, and also wanted the Packers to include him in a potential trade package for JT. Bowers who is a TE could also be considered a 1st round option.

If you’re comfortable passing on a guy like Thomas, then the next guys on day 2 are Tez Walker, possibly Keon Coleman, Xavier Worthy, and Xavier Legette. But the question is, do they move the needle the same way Thomas Jr. would? 

The 3rd option that I’ve thought about recently, is going the Packers route of WR by committee. The packers have a bunch of young WRs in Watson, Wicks, Doubs, Reed, Melton, and Musgrave at TE. So far none of them have shown to be a true WR1, but they’ve got 4-5 reliable options in the passing game. I wonder if we should just get extra day 2-3 picks and draft guys like Ricky Pearsall, Jalynn Polk, Tez Walker, Legette, etc.. Draft 2 guys and just have an elite rotation of guys. Focus on guys who can separate and make big plays.

If you get a stud pass rusher or CB (if Bowers isn't there), get the blue chip player first. Then, get the WR in Round 2 and be happy with another MPJ type that may not move the needle as an elite WR1 but be fine as a WR2 to go with our WR1.5/WR2 in MPJ. Can't have it all, unless you have multiple 1st rounders. :) 

Chiefs aren't filled with stud WRs, Toney was a bad pick by the NY Giants and is the former first rounder on the Chiefs squad as a healthy scratch. Skyy Moore and Rashee Rice, both 2nd rounders, 1 is a dud so far and the other is a stud. So I think we will be fine if we construct our team to play all styles and focus on AR's improvements/development as a passer with the help of good scheming from Steichen, whose glimpses we already saw.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Can't have it all, unless you have multiple 1st rounders. :) 

This would be the year to do it though. You get your CB 1st at 15 and if BTJ starts to slip towards the 20s, I’d give up this years 2nd and next years 1st for a pick in the 20s.

7 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

This would be the year to do it though. You get your CB 1st at 15 and if BTJ starts to slip towards the 20s, I’d give up this years 2nd and next years 1st for a pick in the 20s.

I agree but knowing Ballard, he didn't even move up for the most important position on the roster, QB, and stood pat at No.4 and got AR. Unless the leopard changes its spots, he is not moving up for a WR, just don't see it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I’m assuming the three big WR’s and Bowers will be gone. Unless they want Thomas, Ideally I would like the Colts to trade back a little, draft a CB and then get a WR in Rd 2.  It really depends if the run on CB’s have started yet.  I prefer Dejean because the tackling out of Jones and especially Baker were terrible.  However, I’m good with Wiggins, Mitchell, or Arnold as well.  I’m also good with Thomas if he’s there at 15 but I think they could add another weapon at WR in Rd 2.  It feels like a draft where Ballard would really want an extra 2nd or early 3rd.  

13 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

I’m assuming the three big WR’s and Bowers will be gone. Unless they want Thomas, Ideally I would like the Colts to trade back a little, draft a CB and then get a WR in Rd 2.  It really depends if the run on CB’s have started yet.  I prefer Dejean because the tackling out of Jones and especially Baker were terrible.  However, I’m good with Wiggins, Mitchell, or Arnold as well.  I’m also good with Thomas if he’s there at 15 but I think they could add another weapon at WR in Rd 2.  It feels like a draft where Ballard would really want an extra 2nd or early 3rd.  

The problem with trading back is I think people are underestimating how much other teams will like the guys that wedybe trying to get in a trade back. Mitchell, Arnold, and Thomas are likely going around 16-20 so you can’t trade back too far. If you like the player, just take them at 15. 

• Like 2

Which would be the best argument  for taking BTJ at 15 and not risk losing him. He’ll almost certainly be there at 15. At 20, likely not. Thomas would be an excellent addition to the Colts. He looks like the WR1 they’ve been seeking. But for the three uber talented freaks he’s competing against,  he’d be the top WR in a typical draft. I wouldn’t want to have to choose between him, Bowers or Mitchell if it came to that. 

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

The problem with trading back is I think people are underestimating how much other teams will like the guys that wedybe trying to get in a trade back. Mitchell, Arnold, and Thomas are likely going around 16-20 so you can’t trade back too far. If you like the player, just take them at 15. 

• Like 1

With some teams needing key positions outside of WR, I can’t see 3 WR’s plus Bowers all gone by 15. I think Rome is our guy at 15. FA will tell a lot for teams. Many WR’s could move to other teams. OT will end up being something that shakes up some boards IMO. Maybe 3 gone before us. Add in maybe 4 QB’s (teams always over draft). I can see a guy like Rome slip to 15. 

18 hours ago, OhioColt said:

WR Xavier Legette (SC) According to PFF, 110 FBS-level receivers in this draft class were targeted at least 55 times. He ranked fifth in yards per route (3.15), 18th in drop percentage (2.7), 49th in contested catches (47.6 percent; 10-of-21) and 29th in YAC per catch (6.4). He caught 13-of-24 passes thrown 20-plus yards downfield, good for an eighth-ranked 54.2 percent.

Leggette lost 2 inches from the season to Senior bowl

He may show up to combine at 5’9”

🫣

17 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Pittman for less than 20m a year I would be shocked if that happens.  I think we are going to be surprised when FA start signing their new contracts.  I’m hoping they sign him too but if we have to tag him it should be the transition tag.  I don’t think Pittman will get the big number he’s looking for so if he signs an offer sheet I think Ballard will match it.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

If the Colts really want Thomas I don’t see them trading back. Heck, he might be gone by #15.  If Dejean, Mitchell, and Wiggins are all there for example I could see them going back a few spots.  It’s a deep corner draft too. The CB from Notre Dame is someone they could get later in Rd 2 or 3. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

With some teams needing key positions outside of WR, I can’t see 3 WR’s plus Bowers all gone by 15. I think Rome is our guy at 15. FA will tell a lot for teams. Many WR’s could move to other teams. OT will end up being something that shakes up some boards IMO. Maybe 3 gone before us. Add in maybe 4 QB’s (teams always over draft). I can see a guy like Rome slip to 15. 

If McCarthy is truly skyrocketing up the draft boards, I see 4QB’s, at least 3WR’s, and 4 OT’s off the board before the Colts pick.  That leaves 3 more spots that could go Bowers.  

On 2/20/2024 at 8:09 AM, Solid84 said:

My thing with Worthy is he’s just too small. 

Zay Flowers and Josh Downs were considered small last season - especially for a Colts WR. Worthy is 10 lbs lighter than Downs and 20 lbs lighter than Flowers…

No doubt he’s fast and all than, but… is he even going to survive his first NFL season lol?

Ty did just fine, be smart and protect your body.