Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

These final two games

indyagent17

Raider’s D looked good against KC. Their Offense…not so much.

Regardless, unless the Colts play cleanly, they won’t beat either team. 
  However…., if they play like they did against Pittsburgh, they could win the division. 
  They’re basically playing with “house money” now.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

We have to remember we were missing both of our Offensive MVP’s! Moss and Pittman were definitely missed, we need them to compete. 

Missed Pittman a TON, Moss no so much as JT was back and had no room whatsoever.....dont think Moss could have down more. Missed Smith and on D we missed Blackmon as Rodney thomas got picked on again once he had to replace him (Cross was starting alongside Blackmon).

I just want people to realize these last two games of the season will not be easy.  I think people were caught up on the falcons and raiders not having winning records and thought they’d be easy outings when in fact it’s the opposite.

if we lose and miss the playoffs, this season is still a W.  This was suppose to be an evaluation year.  I’d say we’re ahead of schedule.  

if we win, then that’s good also.  Will be great experience for our young players and expose them to another level play.

This season is W for us regardless and we should enjoy it as it unfolds.

• Like 8

21 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Colts opened up as 3.5 point favorites (who knows why).

It will be interesting to see what the line is by game day.  

Home game, Raiders on short week and Colts have 4 wins over teams with winning records while LV had zero coming into today and now have 1.

4 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

We have to remember we were missing both of our Offensive MVP’s! Moss and Pittman were definitely missed, we need them to compete. 

Don’t forget Smith.  We really need him back.  His replacement, Freeland , is one of the worst tackles in the league.  He’s a big problem.  That’s a fact.  We need Smith asap.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, CR91 said:

We were riding high vs the Steelers and you saw what happened vs the Falcons. It happens.

The Colts can best the Raiders but it will 100% not be due them overlooking Indy. 

They have a losing record and just gave themselves a chance yesterday. Why would they overlook or fall into a trap game against anyone?

These next two games are going to be off the charts hard. Raiders are hot. Stroud and the Texans are amazingly in the race to get into the playoffs as well. There are no trap games for either of those two nor us. It’s win or go home from now on until the playoffs start for pretty much everyone in the AFC from the 3 seed down to the 12th. 

5 hours ago, jskinnz said:

The Colts can best the Raiders but it will 100% not be due them overlooking Indy. 

They have a losing record and just gave themselves a chance yesterday. Why would they overlook or fall into a trap game against anyone?

As we all know, The NFL is week by week. One minute, you can be the hottest team and then the next you're colder then an Indy winter. The way I see it, it's all about momentum and right now the raiders are riding high after putting a 60 burger on the chargers and then smashing the Chiefs. Colts just look minuet in comparison. 

21 minutes ago, CR91 said:

As we all know, The NFL is week by week. One minute, you can be the hottest team and then the next you're colder then an Indy winter. The way I see it, it's all about momentum and right now the raiders are riding high after putting a 60 burger on the chargers and then smashing the Chiefs. Colts just look minuet in comparison. 

I agree. The Raiders biggest issue was their head coach and QB situation. They should’ve never tossed Carr out the door. 

They’ve got super stars on both offense in Jacobs and Adams and Crosby for defense. We don’t have any super star caliber player besides Taylor, and he’s yet to return to his 2021 form. 

6 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I agree. The Raiders biggest issue was their head coach and QB situation. They should’ve never tossed Carr out the door. 

They’ve got super stars on both offense in Jacobs and Adams and Crosby for defense. We don’t have any super star caliber player besides Taylor, and he’s yet to return to his 2021 form. 

Buckner says hi.  It amazes me how many people just over look him.  The dude is one of if not the best DT in football.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

The Colts have been playing inconsistently and the games coming up may be very difficult. The Raiders defense is playing well and Houston should have Stroud back this week. I sure hope I am wrong but we have shot ourselves in the the foot too many times and lost chances 

IDK if it's inconsistency.

We play a base zone on defense.

On some opponents it works, on others it doesn't. And when the objective, according to SS, is to keep the play in front of the secondary, this is what we get.

No dramatic adjustments, don't give up the long ball.

This is why some teams get yardage in chunks. It's a very low risk defense. 

The pass blocking has been weird. Our line seems incapable of forming anything that resembles a pocket. It looks like their point of attack is at the line instead.

Anyway, my 1 cent....

19 hours ago, smittywerb said:

I just want people to realize these last two games of the season will not be easy.  I think people were caught up on the falcons and raiders not having winning records and thought they’d be easy outings when in fact it’s the opposite.

if we lose and miss the playoffs, this season is still a W.  This was suppose to be an evaluation year.  I’d say we’re ahead of schedule.  

if we win, then that’s good also.  Will be great experience for our young players and expose them to another level play.

This season is W for us regardless and we should enjoy it as it unfolds.

Great perspective!!!

The issue becomes a carrot of the playoffs has been dangled in front of you, and it will hurt a little when its not realized. :) It’s only natural 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Great perspective!!!

The issue becomes a carrot of the playoffs has been dangled in front of you, and it will hurt a little when it’s not realized. :) It’s only natural 

Agreed, it would hurt and be a let down if we don’t make the playoffs after getting so close in a year majority of our expectations were low.  

just don’t agree with the possible bashing this team will get if it happens.  In perspective, we have a rookie HC and one of the youngest teams in the league.  I think coming this far has been a massive overachievement.  There are many factors that has led to it, but we’re here.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, csmopar said:

These next two games are going to be off the charts hard. Raiders are hot. Stroud and the Texans are amazingly in the race to get into the playoffs as well. There are no trap games for either of those two nor us. It’s win or go home from now on until the playoffs start for pretty much everyone in the AFC from the 3 seed down to the 12th. 

The Raiders have a good defense, and some really good players up front. The Colts better figure out how to get the run game going if they want to have a chance this week.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

This isn’t going to be popular and I hope I am wrong but I think the Colts are folding down the stretch and lose their last three.  I just don’t like the matchups.  Still I hope I am wrong and will pull for the Colts vs the Raiders and Texans.  

I had a really bad feeling about the Falcons game, to the point I was expecting us to lose. But simply because the Colts looked so terrible, and the Raiders played great (on national tv) makes me believe we will bounce back and win this Sunday.

Don't even want to think about Houston this far out.

• Like 3

Remember 2 years ago when all we had to do was win ONE,just ONE, of our last 2 games against the raiders then the jags and LOST them both!!!!!! This year we can easily top that performance by losing our last 3 games to very inferior competition(even though with Stroud the texans aren't that bad). I hope not, but as Dingus McGirt pointed out, we have seen it before. And I'll add to that- we have seen it waaaaaaaayyy to often in the past 51 years. And you know what would be a devastating kick to the nads? we finished tied with the 3rd worst team in the league(the steelers) and they get in and we sit at home again, just like 2 years ago!!!!

• Like 1

Just now, Two_pound said:

Remember 2 years ago when all we had to do was win ONE,just ONE, of our last 2 games against the raiders then the jags and LOST them both!!!!!! This year we can easily top that performance by losing our last 3 games to very inferior competition(even though with Stroud the texans aren't that bad). I hope not, but as Dingus McGirt pointed out, we have seen it before. And I'll add to that- we have seen it waaaaaaaayyy to often in the past 51 years. And you know what would be a devastating kick to the nads? we finished tied with the 3rd worst team in the league(the steelers) and they get in and we sit at home again, just like 2 years ago!!!!

I wouldn’t say it tops that.  The Falcons, Raiders, and Texans are all fighting for the playoffs.  Two years ago all the Colts had to do was win a game against the worst team in the league that year to get in and got blown out.  It will take a lot to top that.  Given what came less than half a season later I was a little surprised Irsay didn’t fire Reich after that Jags game.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

The Raiders have a good defense, and some really good players up front. The Colts better figure out how to get the run game going if they want to have a chance this week.

I firmly believe, our struggles running the ball, has a lot to do with only operating from the shotgun formation, and never running the ball from under center. Steichen looks like he always wants to pass the ball first, hoping to get out to a comfortable lead, before he will ever commit to running the ball.

Two weeks ago, when we got out, to enough points ahead of the Steelers, Steichen called a huge amount of consecutive running plays, using our two backup RBs (Sermon and Goodson), where most of which, if not all, he had Minshew up under the center. This drive was highly effective, and probably was the best our running game has looked all year.

One of the biggest problems with Frank Reich's scheme was he always ran from shotgun, and now, our current running game, of late, is looking very similar.

Watching the 49ers, I noticed how good their running attack is. When they run, it's primarily from under center. Shanahan has them line up and he runs it... Granted they have McCaffrey, but there is no reason Jonathan Taylor should not have success, if the Colts would just get back to more basic, hard nosed, running plays

I understand, the current offense was designed to have Richardson at QB, and it probably would work better with him back there, but he's out till 2024 so we have GM and JT

It's too early to say, and I hate to think, but I'm becoming more and more convinced, SS's systems downfall may end up, his insistence on running his offense entirely from the shotgun.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

I firmly believe, our struggles running the ball, has a lot to do with only operating from the shotgun formation, and never running the ball from under center. Steichen looks like he always wants to pass the ball first, hoping to get out to a comfortable lead, before he will ever commit to running the ball.

Two weeks ago, when we got out, to enough points ahead of the Steelers, Steichen called a huge amount of consecutive running plays, using our two backup RBs (Sermon and Goodson), where most of which, if not all, he had Minshew up under the center. This drive was highly effective, and probably was the best our running game has looked all year.

One of the biggest problems with Frank Reich's scheme was he always ran from shotgun, and now, our current running game, of late, is looking very similar.

Watching the 49ers, I noticed how good their running attack is. When they run, it's primarily from under center. Shanahan has them line up and he runs it... Granted they have McCaffrey, but there is no reason Jonathan Taylor should not have success, if the Colts would just get back to more basic, hard nosed, running plays

I understand, the current offense was designed to have Richardson at QB, and it probably would work better with him back there, but he's out till 2024 so we have GM and JT

It's too early to say, and I hate to think, but I'm becoming more and more convinced, SS's systems downfall may end up, his insistence on running his offense entirely from the shotgun.

This!! I’ve been saying this same thing for years. Taylor is NOT nearly as effective out of the shotgun. His ability with that running head start to make those cutbacks with a QB under center  helps make him elite. Out of the shotgun, he doesn’t have any momentum. & it doesn’t help our right side of the line has been very inconsistent lately with blocking.  

I understand it fits his offense. But, the tape has shown this for the past 3 years. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

This!! I’ve been saying this same thing for years. Taylor is NOT nearly as effective out of the shotgun. His ability with that running head start to make those cutbacks with a QB under center  helps make him elite. Out of the shotgun, he doesn’t have any momentum. & it doesn’t help our right side of the line has been very inconsistent lately with blocking.  

I understand it fits his offense. But, the tape has shown this for the past 3 years. 

...at the very least, I wish they would give a try to going under center,

even if it was just to see if it might help the running game

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colts1324 said:

And yet nothing changes. Listening to the Colts huddle and all you hear is how good Atlanta is and we need to get better. The job of a head coach is to make adjustments during the game. Steichen is showing he is a rookie head coach but Bradley is a veteran that has enough experience to make charges but he rarely does 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

And yet nothing changes. Listening to the Colts huddle and all you hear is how good Atlanta is and we need to get better. The job of a head coach is to make adjustments during the game. Steichen is showing he is a rookie head coach but Bradley is a veteran that has enough experience to make charges but he rarely does 

I was pretty impressed with Bradley’s presser today. If you have a chance go listen. Steichen has shown he is able to get this term back on track. In my opinion what huge seeing is an average team with a backup QB who is inconsistent. Which is expected with a young inexperienced team with a backup QB.

2 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

We tried running from under center against the Falcons, and it didn't work. The interior OL mostly got whipped. 

I do think all the RPO has a drag effect on the run game overall, but I don't think that's why the Colts couldn't run against the Falcons. I think they just won up front, bottom line.

• Like 2

He knows his defense football however he rarely blitzes. He relies on the front four and like all day he had no answers to the lack of pressure. That makes me want to leave after the season. 

I understand that we are playing with house money if Minchew succeeds it raises our expectations so we are allowed to be disgusted on the crap show in Atlanta 

Just now, Superman said:

We tried running from under center against the Falcons, and it didn't work. The interior OL mostly got whipped. 

I do think all the RPO has a drag effect on the run game overall, but I don't think that's why the Colts couldn't run against the Falcons. I think they just won up front, bottom line.

I have to disagree with you here. I was specifically watching for this during the game. I only recall one time he went under center, and that was a decoy play, when they ran that weird trick play, which failed miserably

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

I have to disagree with you here. I was specifically watching for this during the game. I only recall one time he went under center, and that was a decoy play, when they ran that weird trick play, which failed miserably

I'll rewatch, I thought I saw several run plays from under center. Maybe it was play action...

Either way, I think the OL was losing up front, and that doesn't really change based on where the QB is standing.