Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts 2024 Current Up to Date Roster + Cap Outlook. OP updated + on page 12(MERGE)

w87r

11 hours ago, NFLfan said:

That might be a lot to give up. I think JJ is worth at least a first round pick without giving up a first round pick in return. So, I would prefer to keep #11. If Williams is as good as advertised, I might think about it, but I would rather give up less to move up for Daniels.

You would be getting 2 #1 picks for Jefferson in that trade. With a QB like Williams available , that pick is worth at least 3 first round picks. Probably even a touch more. 

13 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

figured.  No way they let him walk.  Run it back with a healthy burrow.  He might be gone next year depending on how this year goes, but it wouldn’t make sense for them to let him test FA or attempt to replace him when you can just tag and keep him for one year minimum

19 hours ago, w87r said:

So with the official cap in place, let's look at how the cap might look with our own FAs retained.

Remaining Free Agents:

QB:

Gardner Minshew(walk)

RB:

Zach Moss (walk, although this might improve chances he may stay?)

Trey Sermon $985k (minimum)

WR:

Michael Pittman tag - $21.8m, extension $15m(2024 cap hit, estimate)

Isaiah McKenzie(walk)

OC:

Danny Pinter(walk)

DE:

Tyquan Lewis($4m AAV)

Jake Martin(minimum or walk)

Genard Avery(injury, will walk for now)

DT:

Grover Stewart($10-$12m AAV)

Taven Bryan(walk)

CB:

Kenny Moore($6-$9m AAV)

S:

Julian Blackmon($7-$9m AAV)

P:

Rigoberto Sanchez (I would let walk for now, maybe look back later)

So with $72.3m in cap space, if we retain the guys I put a number by we would be looking like this.

Cap used with Tag: $49.8m-$56.8m used, minus $5.4m in contracts that drop below top 51.

Cap Space Remaining with Tag: $21.1m-$27.9m

Cap Space Remaining with extension:$27.9m-$34.7m

Going into FA.

Can always save $5.9m by moving on from Cox as well.

All depending on my salary projections, which could be low or high?

How much is generally needed for rookies?

Do we know how many players we need to sign to fill out the 53 after we’ve signed the guys you suggested?

9 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Do we know how many players we need to sign to fill out the 53 after we’ve signed the guys you suggested?

Perhaps I’m not understanding you….  But at this time of year,   I believe we’re in 90-man roster mode.  I don’t think we go to the 53 man roster until approx Sept 1 and the start of the new season.  

Apologies if I’ve inadvertently confused matters and made things worse.  If I’m wrong I’m sure someone will correct me. 

:giveup:

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Seems as though you already found the draft pick monies needed.

We are currently at (62)

If we signed the (6) I listed we would be at (68), then add in the (7) picks we have currently. That gets us to (75).

Leaves (15) spots for FA's and UDFA, to fill out 90 man roster.

Although I'm sure we will end up with more than 7 draft picks.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Perhaps I’m not understanding you….  But at this time of year,   I believe we’re in 90-man roster mode.  I don’t think we go to the 53 man roster until approx Sept 1 and the start of the new season.  

Apologies if I’ve inadvertently confused matters and made things worse.  If I’m wrong I’m sure someone will correct me. 

Yes but all 53 will count eventually so may as well plan for it. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I know the 53 isn’t really interesting AT THIS POINT. 👍

I was mainly thinking about how much cap space we’d realistically have left to sign FAs. 

So, taking out the space needed for rookies and backups, how much would be left for possible FA starters. 

Hope it makes sense.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Solid84 said:

I was mainly thinking about how much cap space we’d realistically have left to sign FAs. 

So, taking out the space needed for rookies and backups, how much would be left for possible FA starters. 

Hope it makes sense.

Rookie pool this year is less than 3 million currently. If I recall right

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Hope it makes sense.

I say we would have anywhere between $18m-$31m, depending on Pittman (tag/ or extension), prior to FA beginning.(that's if we signed Pittman, Stewart, Lewis, Moore, Blackmon and Sermon to numbers or range I posted)

That number would actually be higher as 1st year of contract will probably be lower than the AAV of the contract. So maybe add another $5-$10m that way.

$28m-$41m(plus 6 players dropping off top 51, would save another $5m(ish)

$33m-$46m potentially heading into FA.

Could still free up $5.9m with Cox being moved(released/ or traded)

Even more with Buck 1-2 year extension.($5-$10m more potentially)

13 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Rookie pool this year is less than 3 million currently. If I recall right

I posted the breakdown on last page. Only top 3 rounds will end up counting against top 51 cap. I came up with around $2.7m needed for rookie contracts (top 51)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, w87r said:

I say we would have anywhere between $18m-$31m, depending on Pittman (tag/ or extension), prior to FA beginning.(that's if we signed Pittman, Stewart, Lewis, Moore, Blackmon and Sermon to numbers or range I posted)

That number would actually be higher as 1st year of contract will probably be lower than the AAV of the contract. So maybe add another $5-$10m that way.

$28m-$41m(plus 6 players dropping off top 51, would save another $5m(ish)

$33m-$46m potentially heading into FA.

Could still free up $5.9m with Cox being moved(released/ or traded)

Even more with Buck 1-2 year extension.($5-$10m more potentially)

I posted the breakdown on last page. Only top 3 rounds will end up counting against top 51 cap. I came up with around $2.7m needed for rookie contracts (top 51)

Bottomline, we can come up with the space needed to pretty much do whatever we want if we wanted too but it’s complicated by other good teams with a TON of capspace as well

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Bottomline, we can come up with the space needed to pretty much do whatever we want if we wanted too but it’s complicated by other good teams with a TON of capspace as well

Good thing is we are up towards the top(6th)

Only (17) teams have over $30m in cap space at the moment. We all know there will be a lot of cap manipulation going on to free up more funds though. Better to start at $70m+ though.

(13) teams have $20m or less, while (6) are still over the cap currently.(Bills $41m over the cap even with the extra $13m)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, w87r said:

Good thing is we are up towards the top(6th)

Only (17) teams have over $30m in cap space at the moment. We all know there will be a lot of cap manipulation going on to free up more funds though. Better to start at $70m+ though.

(13) teams have $20m or less, while (6) are still over the cap currently.(Bills $41m over the cap even with the extra $13m)

You would think a lot of good players will be released as teams move towards getting under the cap.  For example we could cut Cox before FA starts adding him to the TE pool of FA.  Next week should be an interesting week for the Colts.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

You would think a lot of good players will be released as teams move towards getting under the cap.  For example we could cut Cox before FA starts adding him to the TE pool of FA.  Next week should be an interesting week for the Colts.

Nah, the saints were some 60 million in the red and were able to do enough gymnastics to get back under while cutting virtually no one

• Like 1

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Nah, the saints were some 60 million in the red and were able to do enough gymnastics to get back under while cutting virtually no one

The Dolphins already released two star starting defenders in Xavier Howard and Emanuel Ogbah for cap purposes.  No doubt there will be some restructuring done.  Saints already have but it isn’t enough in all cases.  More good players will be cut. It’s inevitable with so many teams.  

12 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

The Dolphins already released two star starting defenders in Xavier Howard and Emanuel Ogbah for cap purposes.  No doubt there will be some restructuring done.  Saints already have but it isn’t enough in all cases.  More good players will be cut. It’s inevitable with so many teams.  

Yeah but both of them are over 30 and coming off back to back seasons with injuries and poor play. 

some will get cut sure, just saying don’t expect a huge amount 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, atapcl said:

The NFL increased the salary cap to 255 million. How does that affect the Colts?

FWIW:   I don’t know if this answers your question, but the Colts have the 4th most cap space.   So they should be sitting pretty to do whatever they want to do.   

10 hours ago, atapcl said:

The NFL increased the salary cap to 255 million. How does that affect the Colts?

2024 Cap Space:

Spotrac - $79,250,395(including 2023 rollover)(57 players shown under contract)

OtC - $72,323,573(including 2023 rollover)(62 players shown under contract; which is what I have)

$72.3m is the number I would go off for now.

Spotrac has 5 less players shown under contract and doesn't have projected updated salaries from player performance.

2 player examples are:

Will Fries - Spotrac ($1,076,346), OtC ($3,006,344)

Kylen Granson - Spotrac ($1,231,592), OtC ($3,161,591)

Almost $4m difference there 

36 minutes ago, w87r said:

I keep the OP updated as well, so no need to find in the thread. Both options are available though.

36 minutes ago, w87r said:

I keep the OP updated as well, so no need to find in the thread. Both options are available though.

Much appreciated 

• Like 1

• w87r changed the title to Colts 2024 Current Up to Date Roster + Cap Outlook. OP updated + last post on page 5(MERGE)

Thanks to the OP for this, and all that share their knowledge on the cap "specifics" I can follow the math.....when its math, but all the special nuance of how that math applies can be overwhelming.....  If I have deciphered this thread correctly we can keep the handful of guys we don't want to lose if it all works out, and have some cash left to sign a free agent or two (second level types) or maybe 1 marquee guy give or take.....I dont want Ballard spending to spend....but if he can improve the team I would prefer that over boasting what cap we have left.....Money don't make plays on the field, players do.....

• Like 1

On 2/23/2024 at 8:19 PM, w87r said:

I pretty sure I have heard it outside of Florio talking about it.?

But maybe it has just been Florio, he likes to repeat and repeat himself over and over again. Lol.

I agree though, it works in the NBA because they can go over the cap. Don't have that luxury here.

It pops up on blogs and Reddit every once in a while, but I think it's definitely an idea that Florio has been mostly responsible for making popular.

• Like 1

I don’t know why but I’m getting the feeling the Colts will not bring Grover back.  He will turn 31 when the season starts.  I’m thinking his 6 game suspension didn’t sit well with the Colts and I also think he’s looking for one last big contract.  There are a few good tackles in FA that are younger and I think would be cheaper and would also benefit from playing alongside Buckner.  I think this decision would remind me of the Eubkam move.  I also think the Colts are going to draft one in the first three rounds.  I’m probably wrong but if we don’t resign him I won’t be surprised.

5 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I don’t know why but I’m getting the feeling the Colts will not bring Grover back.  He will turn 31 when the season starts.  I’m thinking his 6 game suspension didn’t sit well with the Colts and I also think he’s looking for one last big contract.  There are a few good tackles in FA that are younger and I think would be cheaper and would also benefit from playing alongside Buckner.  I think this decision would remind me of the Eubkam move.  I also think the Colts are going to draft one in the first three rounds.  I’m probably wrong but if we don’t resign him I won’t be surprised.

Biggest hole we have currently.(Buckner, Adebawore and Johnson(lowest rated DT last year)) those are only 3 on roster. Of course Dayo can play inside too, but we are thin thin where we need the most bulk.

You're right though, there are a few FA options out there.

I'm still hoping to see T'Vondre Sweat in Colts blue next season.

Even if we do bring Grover back, we still need to draft one for the future.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I thought when he was suspended that he was done here. However, there was a noticeable difference when he wasn't out there. One prior move that comes to mind is Denico Autry, which people on here absolutely have crucified Ballard on since letting him walk. Would he be willing to do it again? I don't know. He talks Grover up a lot. And he loves his trenches, as we well know. 

Grover's going to get paid... I do know that. Time will show who pays up.

11 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Except Ballard said at his end of the year presser that he wanted Grover back.  The tackles that could sufficiently replace Grover will cost more than Grover.  The Colts stood by him, he was one of Ballard’s early gems. I expect him back.  I also expect Ballard to draft a depth piece and potential heir apparent to Grover. 

On 2/25/2024 at 7:41 AM, w87r said:

2024 Cap Space:

Spotrac - $79,250,395(including 2023 rollover)(57 players shown under contract)

OtC - $72,323,573(including 2023 rollover)(62 players shown under contract; which is what I have)

$72.3m is the number I would go off for now.

Spotrac has 5 less players shown under contract and doesn't have projected updated salaries from player performance.

2 player examples are:

Will Fries - Spotrac ($1,076,346), OtC ($3,006,344)

Kylen Granson - Spotrac ($1,231,592), OtC ($3,161,591)

Almost $4m difference there 

I don’t think the player performance bonuses count against the cap. I believe it comes from an NFL program that is separate. It rewards players who outperformed their contact. Teams can rollover unused money from the prior season so Spotrac may be right on. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

Except Ballard said at his end of the year presser that he wanted Grover back.  The tackles that could sufficiently replace Grover will cost more than Grover.  The Colts stood by him, he was one of Ballard’s early gems. I expect him back.  I also expect Ballard to draft a depth piece and potential heir apparent to Grover. 

I don’t think the player performance bonuses count against the cap. I believe it comes from an NFL program that is separate. It rewards players who outperformed their contact. Teams can rollover unused money from the prior season so Spotrac may be right on. 

Spotrac isn't correct at the moment, both have the rollover already included. Spotrac doesn't even have all the players currently under contract listed yet. They will be updating the salary escalators eventually. Example from last year is Johnathan Taylor, Spotrac had him at his $2.4m(something like that), and OtC had him at $4.3(something like that). Eventually Spotrac will catch up. I like Spotrac because it's easier to read their format, but have usually found OtC has the more accurate cap figures.(especially early)

Player performance bonuses are separate from cap. Player performance bonuses are different than salary escalators. So yeah, I didn't use correct terminology above. Meant salary escalators, that's my bad.

You're referring to this:

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/nfls-performance-based-pay-program-rises-by-1-million-per-team-in-2024

I'm referring to, see below.

Salary escalators count against the cap. Although most time not guaranteed.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2023-nfl-free-agency-explainer-vital-information-on-franchise-tags-contract-term#:~:text=An earned escalator translates into,the benefit of his escalator.

Salary escalators: A salary escalator is similar to an incentive in that it is triggered by attaining certain performance thresholds. However, the extra money is not always guaranteed to be received. An earned escalator translates into a raise in a future year (or years) of the contract. If the escalator applies to a non-guaranteed season and the player is released prior to it, he would not receive the benefit of his escalator. Contracts can also contain de-escalators that lower a player's salary for failing to reach performance measures.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

I think all GM’s say they want their best players back but they will draw the line on cost.  Grover has already resigned with the Colts once.  He should know how Ballard evaluates and pays players.  So if he’s looking for a big pay day I’m not sure Ballard will do that for a 31 year old coming off a ped suspension.  There are a number of FA this year who could fill in nicely and be younger and cheaper.  If he comes back it will be interesting to see what his new contract looks like.  I also think drafting a DT will be a priority in the first three rounds.

On 12/24/2023 at 11:09 AM, w87r said:

2024 Cap Space:

Spotrac - $73,918,395(including 2023 rollover)(61 players shown under contract)

OtC - $72,075,573(including 2023 rollover)(62 players shown under contract; which is what I have)

OP updated to reflect

Spotrac has finally updated their numbers a little bit.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/cap/2024/

Still 1 player short, they have updated Will Fries and Kylen Granson's contract to reflect salary escalators though, they are moving in the right direction.

Looks like their missing player in Trevor Denbow($985k).  That should only adjust the number by $70k as one guy will fall off top 51 at $915k.

Went through player by players, not seeing the other $1.8m difference at the moment.

@Hawkeyecolt

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

let's hope so, I'm ready for some news to drop.

Will know Pittman's in less than 20 hours.

Hopefully, Moore, Grover deals come in.

Crazy to think, this time next week, we will know where a lot of the big FAs are going. Won't be official till 2 days later but we'll know.

• Like 2

• w87r changed the title to Colts 2024 Current Up to Date Roster + Cap Outlook. OP updated + on page 8(MERGE)

This thread will be for conversation pertaining to upcoming Colts Free Agent, possible extensions/restructures, cuts(as they often get spread amongst multiple threads). 

First state of business, is cap space for next year. 

2024 Cap Space:(**close est)

Spotrac - $52,918,395(including 2023 rollover)(63 players shown under contract)

OtC - $51,075,573(including 2023 rollover)(64 players shown under contract; which is what I have below)

Re-signed

2024 Roster:(under contract)(64)

Offense:(34)

QB:(2) Anthony Richardson, Sam Ehlinger

RB:(4) Johnathan Taylor, Evan Hull, Tyler Goodson, Zavier Scott

WR:(9) Michael Pittman, Alex Pierce, Josh Downs, Ashton Dulin, DJ Montgomery, Juwann Winfree, Tyrie Cleveland, Ethan Fernea, Terrell Bynum

TE:(7) Mo Alie-Cox, Andrew Ogletree, Jelani Woods, Kylen Granson, Will Mallory, Jordan Murray, Eric Tomlinson

OT:(4) Bernard Raimann, Braden Smith, Blake Freeland, Jake Witt

OG:(5) Quentin Nelson, Will Fries, Josh Sills, Arlington Hambright, Lewis Kidd

OC:(3) Ryan Kelly, Wesley French, Jack Anderson 

Defense:(28)

DE:(4) Samson Ebukam, Kwity Paye, Dayo Odeyingbo, Titus Leo

DT:(3) Deforest Buckner, Adetomiwa Adebawore, Eric Johnson

LB:(8) EJ Speed, Zaire Franklin, Grand Stuard, Isaiah Land, Cameron McGrone, Segun Olubi, Liam Anderson, Austin Ajiake

CB:(6) Dallis Flowers, JuJu Brents, Jaylon Jones, Ameer Speed, Chris Lammons, Darrell Baker Jr

S:(7) Rodney Thomas, Nick Cross, Daniel Scott, Trevor Denbow, Marcel Dabo, Kendell Brooks, Michael Tutsie

SPT:(2)

K: Matt Gay

P:

LS: Luke Rhodes 

Remaining Free Agents:

QB: Gardner Minshew

RB: Zach Moss, Trey Sermon

WR: Michael Pittman($21.816m), Isaiah McKenzie 

OC: Danny Pinter, Jack Anderson(minimum)

DE: Tyquan Lewis, Jake Martin, Genard Avery

DT: Grover Stewart, Taven Bryan

CB: Kenny Moore

S: Julian Blackmon

P: Rigoberto Sanchez 

**Remaining unsigned Practice Squad players as well

Draft Picks:(TBD)

**Per drafttek

2024 Cap Space:(**close est)

Spotrac - $52,918,395(including 2023 rollover)(63 players shown under contract)

OtC - $51,075,573(including 2023 rollover)(64 players shown under contract; which is what I have)

updated salary cap after franchise tag, numbers may be off slightly. Once figured in will adjust to exact numbers.

Any long term extension with Pittman will likely lower the cap hit for this season, so space will go up if and when that happens.

2024 Cap Space:

Spotrac - $53,017,395(including 2023 rollover)(63 players shown under contract)

OtC - $49,348,378(including 2023 rollover)(64 players shown under contract)

This is current cap shown on Spotrac and OtC. OP updated as well. Anderson doesn't effect much, one guy will drop off for him. One dropped off for Pittman as well.

I will say, now that Spotrac has updated their data base a little more. I actually feel like our cap space, is actually closer to their number, than OtC right now.

OtC has some funny math going on.

Just now, JediXMan said:

I’m really interested in the amount of vet DBs available plenty of decent options for the Colts.

List keeps getting longer too.

Jaguars just released Jenkins also.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2024 at 12:33 PM, Superman said:

Okay, here's my thinking. I've been vacillating on this, but I think the Colts should spend this offseason bolstering the offense, however they can. Approach the draft with a BPA/don't reach focus, but the goal should be to support the QB as much as possible. 

My reasoning is that making sure we have a QB that we can build around is the biggest question and the most important factor in determining whether we can contend in the playoffs moving forward. I think we've seen enough to know that Richardson has the capability and potential, but whether he reaches that potential depends largely on the circumstances and his surrounding cast. So make sure we have that box checked in 2024.

To me, that means improving the OL/depth at RG and RT, including a swing tackle who can backup Raimann and/or Smith (maybe that becomes Freeland, but give him some competition and make him fight for it). It means improving the pass catchers, whether that's a significant upgrade at WR or at TE, or both. I think we have some promising players at both positions already, but I wouldn't mind totally revamping the TE room. MAC probably needs to go, Granson has one year left and is a hybrid, Ogletree is probably gone, Mallory is fine as a backup. Woods is the most talented, and he didn't play all year. We don't have a single TE among the bunch who has more than 31 catches in a season.

We also need a good backup QB who can run the Richardson offense if necessary. I appreciate Minshew, but his physical limitations hold the offense back. Another good backup RB would be good, because I expect Moss to move on. I'd bring him back, but only on a backup level contract.

So I would like a new WR (proven veteran, or high level prospect), an upgrade at TE, and at least two new OL who can play on Sundays. I'd re-sign Pittman, probably move on from MAC and Minshew. And my hope would be to go into 2024 with no significant questions about the personnel on the offensive side of the ball. 

This is dead nuts right! Could not have been said any better.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, w87r said:

List of DBs is crazy.

Kenny Moore is a FA too. All of them being out at the same time has got to drive the price downwards once would think, right?

• Like 1