Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts 2024 Current Up to Date Roster + Cap Outlook. OP updated + on page 12(MERGE)

w87r

8 minutes ago, w87r said:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cba/minimum/

League minimums are set per the CBA through 2030 for years of service 

Here is the draft cost per draft slot:

https://overthecap.com/draft

That's a good question though, and one I can't give a definitive answer off the top of head 

Found this on a quick search 

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/nfl-salary-cap-increase-is-good-news-for-everyone-particularly-contenders

"Thirty-two teams each gaining $13 million in cap space adds up to $416 million in new bonus spending — an NFL stimulus package, if there ever was one. For teams trying to spend wisely and not use cap tricks like void years to create current cap space at the expense of future seasons, this is like getting notice that your credit-card spending limit has been raised, making it easier for desperate teams to take big swings as they try to get back to national relevance and playoff contention.

The NFL's league-minimum salaries won't go up in conjunction with a higher salary cap — that starts with rookies making $795,000 this year. The biggest gains will probably go to the league's biggest stars. The league has only four quarterbacks making $50 million a year or more (Joe Burrow, Justin Herbert, Lamar Jackson, Jamal Hurts) but that number could grow in the next month, with potential new deals for Dak Prescott, Trevor Lawrence and a few other top passers."

perhaps @Supermanwill have a better answer there. 

my answer would be no, but I could be wrong.

Long story short, the answer is no, the rookie salaries are not directly based on the salary cap. There's a separate, very complicated process to determine the rookie pool, and the amount of each draft slot contract, and it's based on the previous year's rookie pool + a growth factor. I don't fully understand it, but the current year's salary cap is not part of the formula.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

Long story short, the answer is no, the rookie salaries are not directly based on the salary cap. There's a separate, very complicated process to determine the rookie pool, and the amount of each draft slot contract, and it's based on the previous year's rookie pool + a growth factor. I don't fully understand it, but the current year's salary cap is not part of the formula.

Thanks, that's kinda where I was with it.

• Like 1

@Superman

Speaking of cap percentages.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/forget-guaranteed-contracts-tie-the-compensation-of-star-players-to-cap-percentages

I'm really not a fan of Florio and his writings, but it has been a topic of discussion the last couple years. Maybe not in an official capacity, but it's been lingering.

I think it would only work with QB though, if implemented.

1 hour ago, JediXMan said:

Cutting Mo will save 5 million has as well. Tbh It’s time to move on from him as it’s a combo of him be inconsistent and the young talent the other TEs have on the roster.

1 hour ago, w87r said:

$5.9m, :) even better.

I agree, regardless what happens with Ogletree, I think we need to move on, unless Mo is willing to take a pay cut.

Not liking Mo Allie-Cox is a very popular viewpoint.   But here’s the problem if the Colts move on from him.  Odds are the Colts will eventually have to move on from Ogletree and that will leave Woods as the only Y-tight end on the team and he’s coming off a year of not playing. 

When the Colts drafted Woods and Ogletree in the same class Ballard and the scouts said that it’s hard finding a true Y these days.  Few colleges have them and most college tight ends are F’s.  So the Colts took 2 that year.  

Moving on from MAC and AO leaves the Colts in the same spot.   Needing Y tight ends, either by draft or free agency.  And my read of the draft is that it’s not a good class of tight ends. 

I think this complicates things for the Colts. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Not liking Mo Allie-Cox is a very popular viewpoint.   But here’s the problem if the Colts move on from him.  Odds are the Colts will eventually have to move on from Ogletree and that will leave Woods as the only Y-tight end on the team and he’s coming off a year of not playing. 

When the Colts drafted Woods and Ogletree in the same class Ballard and the scouts said that it’s hard finding a true Y these days.  Few colleges have them and most college tight ends are F’s.  So the Colts took 2 that year.  

Moving on from MAC and AO leaves the Colts in the same spot.   Needing Y tight ends, either by draft or free agency.  And my read of the draft is that it’s not a good class of tight ends. 

I think this complicates things for the Colts. 

The Ogletree situation definitely complicates it.

I don't dislike Mo by any means, just isn't worth that cap number, imo(whatever that means; nothing), whether the cap went up $13m more than anticipated or not.

I would much rather take that $5.9m and put it towards a contract with Hunter Henry, who has prior experience with Steichen.

• Like 5

Draft Picks:(Salary Cap Implications)

1.15 - $3,034,753

2.46 - $1,510,581

3.82 - $1,045,776

4th-7th round won't count against top 51, so won't affect the cap.

Top 3 picks currently count for $5,591,110

- 3 x $950k = $2,850,000 

Draft picks will only count $2,741,110 against top 51 off-season cap number.

* as we know things are likely to change when it comes to our draft picks, but as it sits now we only need to save $2.7m to account for draft pick contracts.

Took $950k as an average by the time the draft comes(probably looking at $985k in all actuality). Every player we sign from now to then will drop a guy off the top 51, unless their salary is already below top 51. (8) signings turns to $985k dropping off per signing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

What is the best offseason possible (even if near impossible) in your eyes? specific players free agency and draft with the most emphasis on free agents. Who can we get within the salary cap parameters that would make our roster better than any other combination of signings? 

@w87r

@Superman

@NewColtsFan

anyone else

So many different ways it could go.

I'll throw a couple of my thoughts out though. I've been pretty quiet on here lately as I've been busy and it was the real slow season, so haven't really posted much yet..

Re-sign:

Pittman (or work out tag and trade)

Grover 

Lewis

Moore

I would release Mo and sign Henry.

Would love to find a way to get T'Vondre(sp?) Sweat, the DT from Texas, to town. Maybe move up in round 2, if he falls? So thin there after Buck right now. Even thinner at the 1tech.

Currently with no moves being made, I would probably be looking CB, Edge or WR(if Pittman is moved) in round 1. A lot will change once we start filling out the roster though, so this is subject to change.

Heard rumblings of CJ Gardner Johnson(typical off-season projections), he would be a solid get on the back end to take over Blackmon's spot.

L'Jarius Snead would be high on the list as well. 

Young OC for the future. Start that growth process. Guard as well

Would love a couple new LBers. Patrick Queen?

Nicksplat Arnolds Halloween GIF by Hey Arnold

😆

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, w87r said:

I'll throw a couple of my thoughts out though. I've been pretty quiet on here lately as I've been busy and it was the real slow season, so haven't really posted much yet..

Re-sign:

Grover 

Lewis

Moore

Would love to find a way to get T'Vondre(sp?) Sweat, the DT from Texas, to town. Maybe move up in round 2, if he falls? So thin there after Buck right now. Even thinner at the 1tech.

Currently with no moves being made, I would probably be looking CB, Edge or WR(if Pittman is moved) in round 1. A lot will change once we start filling out the roster though, so this is subject to change.

Heard rumblings of CJ Gardner Johnson(typical off-season projections), he would be a solid get on the back end to take over Blackmon's spot.

😆

Patrick Queen would be a difference maker.  We can only hope.  I prefer Noah Fant as you know.  Three years younger and more explosive.  Either one would be a nice upgrade over Moe.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, w87r said:

Re-sign:

Grover 

Lewis

Moore

😆

I like Queen a lot. I mostly just want playmakers on defense. What would Snead, Gardner Johnson and Queen collectively cost? Although I certainly can see Snead being re-signed by the chiefs with the cap increase. 

2 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I like Queen a lot. I mostly just want playmakers on defense. What would Snead, Gardner Johnson and Queen collectively cost? Although I certainly can see Snead being re-signed by the chiefs with the cap increase. 

Yeah the Chiefs are actually sitting a lot better than some might think.

$28m in cap space, can save $12m more by moving on from MVS. That gets them to $40m before even looking at Mahomes reworked deal.

Snead - $18-$20m

CJ GJ - $8-$10m

Queen - $17-$20m

$43-$50m

Of course those are AAV numbers, 2024 numbers would probably be $10-$15m lower most likely.

So $28/$33m-$35/$40m in 2024?

Then of course would have (3) players drop out of top 51 to save an additional $2.7m against the cap.

Could make it all work. Might need an extension for Buckner to create some more cap room.

** who knows on those projections just kind of throwing down numbers out there.

3 hours ago, w87r said:

@Superman

Speaking of cap percentages.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/forget-guaranteed-contracts-tie-the-compensation-of-star-players-to-cap-percentages

I'm really not a fan of Florio and his writings, but it has been a topic of discussion the last couple years. Maybe not in an official capacity, but it's been lingering.

I think it would only work with QB though, if implemented.

Is it really a topic of conversation? Just seems like something that Florio says every year, and then everyone reacts to it. There's no practical reason for player contracts to be set as a percentage of the salary cap. It's a bad idea in several ways. And the only thing it would do is funnel more money to the top 15-20 players in the league -- primarily QBs -- leaving less for the remaining 1,900 or so. 

5 hours ago, w87r said:

Thing I find interesting and might affect @NFLfan, is the Kirk Cousins situation. The extra $12-$13m over prior 2024 cap projections, helps put a dent in the dead cap of Kirk if he isn't retained. Does that make them more likely to allow him to walk away, instead of trying to resign him and get rid of the $28.5m dead cap if he leaves? 

Good question. I hope we let Kirk walk. We are stuck in purgatory and won't win anything with what we have. I don't want to sign him or any other free agent except perhaps Danielle Hunter. If we could trade JJ for a boatload of draft picks, I will gladly sign for that. We need to rebuild.

I'm not a fan of signing high-priced free agents unless we are ready to win. The Vikings are far from that. We need to rebuild using the draft.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Superman said:

Is it really a topic of conversation? Just seems like something that Florio says every year, and then everyone reacts to it. There's no practical reason for player contracts to be set as a percentage of the salary cap. It's a bad idea in several ways. And the only thing it would do is funnel more money to the top 15-20 players in the league -- primarily QBs -- leaving less for the remaining 1,900 or so. 

I pretty sure I have heard it outside of Florio talking about it.?

But maybe it has just been Florio, he likes to repeat and repeat himself over and over again. Lol.

I agree though, it works in the NBA because they can go over the cap. Don't have that luxury here.

11 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Good question. I hope we let Kirk walk. We are stuck in purgatory and won't win anything with what we have. I don't want to sign him or any other free agent except perhaps Danielle Hunter. If we could trade JJ for a boatload of draft picks, I will gladly sign for that. We need to rebuild.

I'm not a fan of signing high-pric d free agents unless we are ready to win. The Vikings are far from that. We need to rebuild using the draft.

Hunter is rumored to be looking for $25m per season.

I'll trade for JJ, right now.

Deal Onechicago GIF by ION

Does seem to me like Kirk might be on the way out?

1 hour ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

What is the best offseason possible (even if near impossible) in your eyes? specific players free agency and draft with the most emphasis on free agents. Who can we get within the salary cap parameters that would make our roster better than any other combination of signings? 

@w87r

@Superman

@NewColtsFan

anyone else

Very kind of you to extend this offer.  But I think I might be the worst person to do this kind of exercise.   I’m terrible at them.   

The Colts key FA additions last year were Ebukum and Gay.   Anyone see those coming?    Minshew I hoped for and glad it happened. 

The year before I think it was Gilmore and McCloud.   And both may have been late.   And I didn’t project either.   

So I wouldn’t know where or how to begin?  

I would like to see the Colts keep Pittman, Moore, Stewart, Blackmon.   And I don’t have much interest in going much over $10 mill on any FA.   Guys like Houston and Gilmore are rare exceptions to the rule. 

Thanks again….   

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I'm not a fan of signing high-pric d free agents unless we are ready to win. The Vikings are far from that. We need to rebuild using the draft.

With respect….   Even when a team rebuilds for a year or two, some players are so good and so young that you don’t want to get rid of them.  Justin Jefferson is such a player.  He’s someone you want hold on to as long as possible.  I think he’s that rare and special. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

FWIW:   In an interview that Joe Burrow gave I think around December,  he said Bengals management promised him they’d keep Higgins either by extension or tag.   Thats now a promise kept.  Good for Cincy.  

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

With respect….   Even when a team rebuilds for a year or two, some players are so good and so young that you don’t want to get rid of them.  Justin Jefferson is such a player.  He’s someone you want hold on to as long as possible.  I think he’s that rare and special. 

I don't know. JJ is a special player, but we are wasting his talent. We are not winning with him. And he said something like he wants to "break the bank". I do not want to break the bank for a receiver, as I feel they are replaceable. The replacements may not be as good as JJ, but you can win without a great receiver. Kansas City's offense was not as explosive without Tyreek Hill but they still won the Super Bowl. I want a young QB who is versatile. It is hard to replace them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

I don't know. He is a special player but we are wasting his talent. We are not winning with him. And he said something like he wants to "break the bank" or something like that. I do not want to break the bank for a receiver, as I feel they are replaceable. They may not be as good as JJ but you can win without a great receiver. Kansas City's offense was not as explosive we without Tyreek Hill but they still won the Super Bowl. I want a young QB who is versatile. It is hard to replace them.

Hypothetically, would you trade the 11th pick and Justin Jefferson to move up to 1 and take Caleb Williams?

4 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

Hypothetically, would you trade the 11th pick and Justin Jefferson to move up to 1 and take Caleb Williams?

That might be a lot to give up. I think JJ is worth at least a first round pick without giving up a first round pick in return. So, I would prefer to keep #11. If Williams is as good as advertised, I might think about it, but I would rather give up less to move up for Daniels.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I don't know. JJ is a special player, but we are wasting his talent. We are not winning with him. And he said something like he wants to "break the bank". I do not want to break the bank for a receiver, as I feel they are replaceable. The replacements may not be as good as JJ, but you can win without a great receiver. Kansas City's offense was not as explosive without Tyreek Hill but they still won the Super Bowl. I want a young QB who is versatile. It is hard to replace them.

Well…..  

You might go years before you find your next quarterback.   You can draft one,  but it’s no guarantee he’ll ever turn into what you hope for.  Quarterback has a high rate of not panning out. 

Kansas City won because they have Mahomes and Kelcie, plus a very good defense and coordinator plus a great head coach. 

I appreciate your frustration over where Minnesota is…. A bit between a rock and a hard place.   But this might end up being a case of be careful what you wish for, you might just get it.  

Appreciate that a Vikings fan is a Colts moderator!    Much love and respect.  :worthy:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

They did, but they ran the ball a lot more and their defense is elite now. Mahomes had one of his statistically worst years this year.

A statistically bad year for Mahomes is better than most.   Good enough to win a Super Bowl.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, w87r said:

Red Sox Magic Number GIF by NBC Sports Boston

Won 2 SB's since trading him.

Has it already been two years? Time flies. But you made my point. They won the Super Bowl without their star receiver who is on the same level as JJ. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well…..  

You might go years before you find your next quarterback.   You can draft one,  but it’s no guarantee he’ll ever turn into what you hope for.  Quarterback has a high rate of not panning out. 

Kansas City won because they have Mahomes and Kelcie, plus a very good defense and coordinator plus a great head coach. 

I appreciate your frustration over where Minnesota is…. A bit between a rock and a hard place.   But this might end up being a case of be careful what you wish for, you might just get it.  

Appreciate that a Vikings fan is a Colts moderator!    Much love and respect.  :worthy:

I've been here ten years already. You, Southwest1, BrentMc11, and I think Jason were the first ones to welcome me here. I was just a fan. ColtsBlueFL, Superman and a few others motivated me to sign up here. They were so knowledgeable.

Anyway, back to topic, I would rather lose than continue to sign high-priced free agents only to be a middling team, which we are. Smart teams draft well. Kansas City drafts very well. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Has it already been two years? Time flies. But you made my point. They won the Super Bowl without their star receiver who is on the same level as JJ. 

Hard to argue it.

I'll still take JJ though. Lol.

Anyway, prob need to get back to Colts talk. Getting a little off course.

I started it with the talk about how the cap would effect the Vikings and Cousins. My fault all.

1 minute ago, w87r said:

Hard to argue it.

I'll still take JJ though. Lol.

Anyway, prob need to get back to Colts talk. Getting a little of course.

I started it with the talk about how the cap would effect the Vikings and Cousins. My fault all.

Okay. I did not read the earlier pages. Are you expecting Ballard to make a splash in free agency?

3 hours ago, Dark Superman said:

Didn't the Colts have over $60 million before the cap increase? I thought they would have closer to $90 million or am I missing something?

The cap was already projected to go up $17m. Which was what the cap space was projected at. It went up $13m more than anticipated so our cap space only goes up that $13m, as the other $17m was included.

4 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Okay. I did not read the earlier pages. Are you expecting Ballard to make a splash in free agency?

He might make a couple splash moves, with the extra money.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, w87r said:

The cap was already projected to go up $17m. Which was what the cap space was projected at. It went up $13m more than anticipated so our cap space only goes up that $13m, as the other $17m was included.

He might make a couple splash moves, with the extra money.

Thanks for clearing that up for me!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Very kind of you to extend this offer.  But I think I might be the worst person to do this kind of exercise.   I’m terrible at them.   

The Colts key FA additions last year were Ebukum and Gay.   Anyone see those coming?    Minshew I hoped for and glad it happened. 

The year before I think it was Gilmore and McCloud.   And both may have been late.   And I didn’t project either.   

So I wouldn’t know where or how to begin?  

I would like to see the Colts keep Pittman, Moore, Stewart, Blackmon.   And I don’t have much interest in going much over $10 mill on any FA.   Guys like Houston and Gilmore are rare exceptions to the rule. 

Thanks again….   

I would argue you have more knowledge on trends regarding Ballard’s moves to not be “horrible” at them. 

I still think he may shift his action this offseason from years past, but it’s interesting to see possibilities (even if unrealistic). @w87r putting Snead, Queen, and Gardner Johnson is something I would have never even pondered, but man it would put 3 playmakers on the field where we need them. 

To build off that mentality, I would assume Snead will be retained by the chiefs. So to look to resigning our own and then look at queen and McKinney to be the big splash signings. Maybe a low cost receiver or corner (I know there is not much of such thing) but not one for upgrade but rather for position depth.

but your point of not wanting to sign any one for more than $10 mil is reasonable, and especially if it brings talent in more quantity to weak points across the roster. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

A statistically bad year for Mahomes is better than most.   Good enough to win a Super Bowl.  

Yeah, but @Yoshinator's point was Kansas City got better at Defense since trading away Tyreek Hill to the point that their defense was better than 49ers, whereas in their previous meeting in SB 49ers had very elite defense when they fought with Mahomes with Jimmy G on their side. This time, Chiefs defense has been so good that 49ers improved offense and QB play still couldn't get over the line against them and Mahomes did the rest when needed to win SB with a TD drive against a weaker 49ers defense this time.

So, KC traded away Tyreek Hill but used that cap space to pay for their defense and draft very well on defense in addition to great coaching and game planning from their defensive staff. This time, Mahomes didn't have to single handedly win SB against 49ers like the previous time but their defense played equally amazing job, starting from drawing board to the execution on the field to stop 49ers elite offense and that helped not to miss an elite WR like Hill. 

• Like 1