Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts 2024 Current Up to Date Roster + Cap Outlook. OP updated + on page 12(MERGE)

w87r

23 minutes ago, tweezy32 said:

I’d be okay with trading him if we got at that for him. I’d be moving up to grab a receiver forsure after that. Would swap 1sts and whatever else it took but wouldn’t give up the other 1st we just got. Maybe 1st and 2nd and whatever else it took but we keep the other 1st

I just used the AJ Brown trade as reference.

1st(18)and 3rd(101)

So 1st and 4th sounds reasonable.

10 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Hard to see anyone trading a 1st and 4th for Pittman and then giving him the contract he is looking for.  Everyone keeps saying this draft is loaded at WR.  Just draft one with that 1st pick and get the receiver on a rookie contract.  A trade means a team views him as a difference maker but his own team with plenty of cap space does not and will not pay him with a rookie quarterback under contract and in need of receiving talent.  You pay Taylor but not Pittman.  I would be shocked.

Pittman has said he wants to test the market. The only way to do so if for the Colts to tag him or let him walk and hope he signs back. So you're already past stage one from the get go. He wants to see what's out there. 

That is literally how all these trades usually work. Make the trade and sign the extension.

Seriously, that's what happens.

Trade a 1st for Buckner sign him to $80m+ extension 

Eagles trade 1st and 3rd for Brown sign to 4yr $100m extension 

Could go on and on, but I don't see the purpose. Teams trade draft capital for players and sign them to big deals in the process, all the time.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, w87r said:

Pittman has said he wants to test the market. The only way to do so if for the Colts to tag him or let him walk and hope he signs back. So you're already past stage one from the get go. He wants to see what's out there. 

That is literally how all these trades usually work. Make the trade and sign the extension.

Seriously, that's what happens.

Trade a 1st for Buckner sign him to $80m+ extension 

Eagles trade 1st and 3rd for Brown sign to 4yr $100m extension 

Could go on and on, but I don't see the purpose. Teams trade draft capital for players and sign them to big deals in the process, all the time.

I understand that.  My point is he’s a WR and the draft is loaded with great receivers.  Why trade a first rd pick and pay him when you can draft one on a rookie contract.  A team making that trade views him as a playmaker.  But Ballard does not and does not want to pay a player he drafted and met or exceeded expectations?  It’s not like we are having cap problems like the 49er’s had when they traded Buckner.   It’s a hypothetical I understand but I don't see it as being realistic.  I think he stays a Colt.

PFF cumulative grades for players under contract for 2024:

Offense:

QB:

Richardson - 52.2 

Ehlinger - 60(NR)

RB:

Taylor - 74.9(24/63)

Goodson -  57.3(NR)

Hull - 65.7(NR)

Scott - (NR)

WR:

Pierce - 58.1(97/128)

Downs - 70.3(47/128)

Dulin - (NR)

Montgomery - 60.6(NR)

Fernea - 58.4(NR)

Winfree - 52.8(NR)

Cleveland - (NR)

TE:

Cox - 61.4(35/73)

Granson - 56.8(48/73)

Mallory -  66.9(NR)

Ogletree - 66.2(24/73)

Woods - (NR)

Murray - (NR)

Tomlinson - (NR)

OT:

Raimann - 82.3(7/84)

Smith - 83.3(5/84)

Freeland - 44.2(80/84)

Witt - (NR)

OG:

Nelson - 70.8(15/81)

Fries - 61.2(33/81)

Sills - 59(NR)

Hambright - 65.4(NR)

Kidd - (NR)

OC:

Kelly - 76.2(8/37)

French - 48.4(NR)

Defense:

DE:

Paye - 74.3(37/114)

Ekubam - 84.4(16/114)

Dayo - 57.4(92/114)

Land - 70.6(NR)

Leo - (NR)

DT:

Buckner - 81.8(13/131)

Johnson - 30.5(131/131)

Adebawore - 27.5(NR)

LB:

Franklin - 60.9(64/83)

Speed - 65(50/83)

Olubi - 56.2(NR)

Harrison - 64.9(NR)

Stuart -  32.6(NR)

McGrone - 82.7(NR)

Anderson - (NR)

Ajiake - (NR)

CB:

Flowers - 66.4(60/128)

Brents - 63.2(72/128)

Jones - 58.1(90/126)

Lammons - 53.6(NR)

Speed - 72(NR)

Baker - 51.8(111/128)

S:

Thomas - 58.2(80/99)

Cross - 71.8(25/99)

Denbow - 50.4(NR)

Scott - (NR)

Dabo - (NR)

Brooks - (NR)

Tutsie - (NR)

SPT:

K:

Gay68.8(NR)

P:

LS:

Luke Rhodes - (NR)

Free Agents:(kind of listed in order of importance)

Pittman - 77.7(27/128)

Stewart - 76.2(18/131)

Moore - 77.4(18/128)

Blackmon - 68.3(39/99)

Lewis - 73.7(42/114)

Moss - 66.9(43/63)

Sanchez - 64.4(25/33)

Minshew - 62(34/42)

Bryan - 51.3(98/131)

Martin - 62.1(NR)

Anderson - (NR)

Sermon - 56.6(NR)

McKenzie - 64.7(NR)

Will give my take, on the individual positions, here later or tomorrow.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think he stays a Colt.

He very well could be, and I would be completely on board with it.

Just reading the room, it seems like he wants to get out West? Is it contract posturing? Potentially, but I feel there is a lot of fire with this smoke.

So he wants to see a what's out there, so that means he probably isn't going to accept any long term offer from the Colts, unless it's top, top of the market(yes , 2 tops) offer.

So the Colts have no choice to place the $21.7 tag on him. Then he sees what offers are out there. You know the process, no need explaining

Then it's just a roll of the dice at that point if he is back in my opinion. And tbh, I think that is pretty much where we are at currently.

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

The one pass catcher that would be nice at 15 is is Brock Bowers is there at 15. Then I am ok with offense over defense.

Bowers would be nice, but we would need to recoup a couple later picks for 1 or 2 of our TEs.

I think Steichen really likes Mallory, after all he is the 1 he had a hand in on drafting.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Hard to see anyone trading a 1st and 4th for Pittman and then giving him the contract he is looking for.  Everyone keeps saying this draft is loaded at WR.  Just draft one with that 1st pick and get the receiver on a rookie contract.  A trade means a team views him as a difference maker but his own team with plenty of cap space does not and will not pay him with a rookie quarterback under contract and in need of receiving talent.  You pay Taylor but not Pittman.  I would be shocked.

To add to your point, you don't want to be the Titans who traded Brown for a 1st and a 3rd and absolutely regret it. They thought they could easily replace him with a 1st round WR and Burks did not workout. I think the current trend is to have one WR with a rookie contract and one WR getting paid. It has worked well for the Bengals and the Dolphins and even the Colts back in the day.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, w87r said:

Offense:

QB:

Richardson - 52.2 

Ehlinger - 60(NR)

Not too much to say here, everything now and for the next foreseeable future rides on Richardson. Can't wait till the fall.

I think Minshew walks and we bring in a vet to compete with Ehlinger for the backup spot.

RB:

Taylor - 74.9(24/63)

Goodson -  57.3(NR)

Hull - 65.7(NR)

Scott - (NR)

Taylor with Richardson.... What we were all so anxious for this season. Their paths barely crossed. 

Hull looked good through camp and even in his limited action

Team had Scott working at HB, imagine that is still the case. Goodson will be competing for a job on the top 70(active + PS)

I think Moss walks for a better opportunity, although I would love to keep him if feasible.

WR:

Pierce - 58.1(97/128)

Downs - 70.3(47/128)

Dulin - (NR)

Montgomery - 60.6(NR)

Fernea - 58.4(NR)

Winfree - 52.8(NR)

Cleveland - (NR)

Elephant in the Room Pittman. Ideally he will be back, but I can easily see a scenario where he is traded. We are alreyhalf way down the road in my opinion.

I think Pierce is set to explode on the scene, he has been patient and I think it is about to pay off big. 

Dulin being back is bigger than it seems, as he is very versatile, depending on recovery from injury.

This will be a room that receives great attention. Whether that's just resigning Pittman , or drafting/trading for someone 

18 minutes ago, w87r said:

TE:

Cox - 61.4(35/73)

Granson - 56.8(48/73)

Mallory -  66.9(NR)

Ogletree - 66.2(24/73)

Woods - (NR)

Murray - (NR)

Tomlinson - (NR)

Room is pretty much in order, short of staring at Bowers at our spot draft night

Imagine we move on from Cox, whether that be by trade or just releasing him to save $5.9m.

Ogletree will be something to watch with his pending case.

18 minutes ago, w87r said:

OT:

Raimann - 82.3(7/84)

Smith - 83.3(5/84)

Freeland - 44.2(80/84)

Witt - (NR)

OG:

Nelson - 70.8(15/81)

Fries - 61.2(33/81)

Sills - 59(NR)

Hambright - 65.4(NR)

Kidd - (NR)

OC:

Kelly - 76.2(8/37)

French - 48.4(NR)

What can you say about this room?

Starting OL looks like this:

Raimann - #7

Nelson - #15

Kelly - #8

Fries - #33

Smith - #5

See some might look at #33 as a bad thing, but if every team has a #1 guard. #33 would be the best #2 guard in the league.

Kudos to Tony Sparano Jr.

I really like that Freeland got so much work(not worried about his grade), will only help his development with some S+C this off-season 

4 minutes ago, w87r said:

I think Pierce is set to explode on the scene, he has been patient and I think it is about to pay off big. 

Dulin being back is bigger than it seems, as he is very versatile, depending on recovery from injury.

I really hope Pierce explodes next season because AR can throw it deep, I'm just worried about his ability to catch the ball because he seems to have a hard time securing a catch if there is any type of contact, and he even had some just bad drops this year. 

I think Dulin returning could be big when it comes to special teams and WR depth

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

To add to your point, you don't want to be the Titans who traded Brown for a 1st and a 3rd and absolutely regret it. They thought they could easily replace him with a 1st round WR and Burks did not workout. I think the current trend is to have one WR with a rookie contract and one WR getting paid. It has worked well for the Bengals and the Dolphins and even the Colts back in the day.

This is a good point.

Like I said, I hope he is back, just looking at it as the possibility he might not.

With his comment, the likelihood is he will be franchise tagged. Where it goes from there at that point? Who knows.

If no one offers him any money, I guess he can come play here on tag or take whatever deal we offered.

The more likely thing to happen is, he will receive multiple offers. His agent will have a discussion with the Colts on if he would rather go to one of those teams or stay with Colts. Equal money or not.

If he wants to go to one of those other teams the GMs will work on compensation before Pittman signs offer sheet. If he signs offer sheet we would get (2) 1st if we didn't match. That's not going to happen, so they would workout draft compensation instead of signing the offer sheet.

7 hours ago, chad72 said:

If I see something close to the sidelines and inside the 10, I get out of bounds right away and try to come down with the ball.  That is such a ridiculous gain in field position to the 40, I wonder why it hasn't been brought up by coaches over the years.

I wish the Colts' punt returner during the Chargers' Scifres game knew about it when all those Scifres punts were going out of bounds close to the 5 yard line.

That’s ridiculous for a penalty to be enforced. 

43 minutes ago, w87r said:

Defense:

DE:

Paye - 74.3(37/114)

Ekubam - 84.4(16/114)

Dayo - 57.4(92/114)

Land - 70.6(NR)

Leo - (NR)

These guys catch a lot of slack for really playing very well.

Ekubam has been a bargain and a great find. Balled all year. Ballard doesn't get credit for those, just the bad moves.

Again #37 might not look good, but that is the 5th best #2 DE in the NFL

Dayo put up some good sack numbers but PFF clearly is grading him roughly in other aspects. Hopefully he can turn this year into double sacks next year.

Actually like the potential of Land and Leo as well

Lewis played great this year, hopefully we get him back on a nice little 2yr deal

I know a lot of people are wanting to add a high dollar FA or high draft pick to the room? I'm just not so sure, especially the FA.

43 minutes ago, w87r said:

DT:

Buckner - 81.8(13/131)

Johnson - 30.5(131/131)

Adebawore - 27.5(NR)

Buckner, yes.

Johnson, no.

Adebawore, idk? Was just a development year, so not worried about the grade. Will watch what he does next year.

I really think Grover is probably the most important FA to re-sign. This room is so depleted right now.

Things will definitely be addressed here, whether via retain Grover, sign/trade, or high draft pick 

44 minutes ago, w87r said:

LB:

Franklin - 60.9(64/83)

Speed - 65(50/83)

Olubi - 56.2(NR)

Harrison - 64.9(NR)

Stuart -  32.6(NR)

McGrone - 82.7(NR)

Anderson - (NR)

Ajiake - (NR)

Speed is our best LB, but I feel we need better players at both our nickel LB spots.

Franklin thinks way to much of himself, that video of him saying "now I'm one of the best, now I need to be #1). Sentiments great, problem is the complete deniability of being just an average LB. One who can get a lot of tackle(179), but only have (3TFL). 1 out of 60 tackles was for a loss. (Bobby Wagner had 11 in 180 tackles, 1 out of 16 for reference). Franklin is liability in coverage.

I think Harrison maybe slides back to S next season?

I still like Olubi, so hopefully he can continue to improve

Room needs some attention 

CB:

Flowers - 66.4(60/128)

Brents - 63.2(72/128)

Jones - 58.1(90/126)

Lammons - 53.6(NR)

Speed - 72(NR)

Baker - 51.8(111/128)

Be really nice to get Flowers back. Have a solid 4-5 there with Baker bringing in the backend. Can always hope more time developing pays off.

Need to bring Moore back. If not Lammons might be running the slot. I actually like Lammons think he could be a good player.

Speed a rookie too, more time in the system, who knows?

S:

Thomas - 58.2(80/99)

Cross - 71.8(25/99)

Denbow - 50.4(NR)

Scott - (NR)

Dabo - (NR)

Brooks - (NR)

Tutsie - (NR)

Cross should be locked in a starting role next year. He has went through the Gus process and has seemed to be ready to take off.

Thomas is ok to be depth, not much more. 

Hopefully Scott recovers from injury and can come show what he is about.

Blackmon is an interesting case. With the lack of depth in the room it's tough to let walk, but his performance has just been middle of the pack and he is frequently injured.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

I really hope Pierce explodes next season because AR can throw it deep, I'm just worried about his ability to catch the ball because he seems to have a hard time securing a catch if there is any type of contact, and he even had some just bad drops this year. 

I think Dulin returning could be big when it comes to special teams and WR depth

Someone posted some stats that show that  Pierce does NOT drop many passes.  And is very highly ranked in pass catching.  I am not sure if that was @w87r that posted it a few weeks ago or someone else.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ChuggaBeer said:

Someone posted some stats that show that  Pierce does NOT drop many passes.  And is very highly ranked in pass catching.  I am not sure if that was @w87r that posted it a few weeks ago or someone else.

Whatever it was is in the Pierce thread I imagine.

Probably was something to to with like "drop per target rate %" or something of that affect.

Something else about 1.5 of his 4 targets a game are classified as in catchable balls.

He averaged 2.07 catches a game(this is off recollection and based of stats after the 16 game, not the 17th), out of the other 2.5(out of 4) remaining targets a game.

• Like 1

found it 

They got him for 3 drops(60 targets). Not great, but could be worse. 1 for every 20 targets.

Tyreek Hill and Nakua have 10 drops a piece in 146 targets a piece

That's 1 for every 14.6 passes.

St Brown has 8 drops in 146 targets 1 every 18 targets

Diggs 8 drops in 145 targets - 1 every 18 targets

So Pierce has better drop/target ratio than all these top WRs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, w87r said:

Whatever it was is in the Pierce thread I imagine.

Probably was something to to with like "drop per target rate %" or something of that affect.

Something else about 1.5 of his 4 targets a game are classified as in catchable balls.

He averaged 2.07 catches a game(this is off recollection and based of stats after the 16 game, not the 17th), out of the other 2.5(out of 4) remaining targets a game.

I do think it is hard stat drops because first who decides what is a drop, I've seen games where it looks like their are lots of drops and I'm not talking specifically about the Colts but at the end there's only two listed and you really can't use Catch rate because not every targeted throw is catchable. So it is a hard thing to quantify. PFF probably has the best rating for hands but I don't have access and even them theirs a level of subjectivity.

For me I've watched him make key drops on 3rd downs that I could of caught, and when you combine that with he's kind of a one trick pony when it comes to really only doing deep routes. it does make me worry how he can improve or play in the future, another way to think about it is, Pierce was our healthiest WR and played the most snaps, as Pittman missed games and Downs wasn't on the field as much but barely broke 500 yards in 17 games. Sure he was missed deep because Minshew couldn't get the ball that far but he couldn't do anything else.

I'm rambling at this point but I do hope he has a big season next year, I just hope we aren't relying on him to have a big season because he has shown reasons to be concerned.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

I do think it is hard stat drops because first who decides what is a drop

I agree

For the record though multiple resources showed that number it wasn't just from one source.

Now did they piggyback off each other? Maybe a couple? CBS is good at just taking other outlets stories, news and reporting as own.

There is a difference between a drop and a ball that we feel should've been caught.

Just now, w87r said:

I agree

For the record though multiple resources showed that number it wasn't just from one source.

Now did they piggyback off each other? Maybe a couple? CBS is good at just taking other outlets stories, news and reporting as own.

There is a difference between a drop and a ball that we feel should've been caught.

Let's just say he has incompletions that other WR2s would have completed (Unless they're the Chiefs lol).

11 hours ago, tweezy32 said:

a 1st and 2 3rd round picks for Braden Smith???? 

Check out OTC and trade calculations it appears to be based on current salary contract and offsetting rounds to value.  The Lions still win but with around ~300k cap space differential. 

7 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Let's just say he has incompletions that other WR2s would have completed (Unless they're the Chiefs lol).

And almost half of his targets were uncatchable

Hard to get in a groove when you're consistently overlooked(wide open TDs, we've seen it magnified the last couple weeks, been like that all year). Can easily have a quick lapse in focus, because now you are trying to do to much with this opportunity. because they are so few and far between. Almost half(3/8) of those targets were uncatchable, 4/8 you caught. 1/8 targets were catchable balls, that were not caught(doesn't mean a drop, but that it was catchable)

Not making excuses for him, just not ready to throw in the towel on him either. 2024 is going to be his year.

Wish I had time to go watch all the film and see just how many times he was wide open and never looked at the whole year.  Oh well on to next year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, w87r said:

And almost half of his targets were uncatchable

Hard to get in a groove when you're consistently overlooked(wide open TDs, we've seen it magnified the last couple weeks, been like that all year). Can easily have a quick lapse in focus, because now you are trying to do to much with this opportunity. because they are so few and far between. Almost half(3/8) of those targets were uncatchable, 4/8 you caught. 1/8 targets were catchable balls, that were not caught(doesn't mean a drop, but that it was catchable)

Not making excuses for him, just not ready to throw in the towel on him either. 2024 is going to be his year.

And I don't blame him for those throws that were out of bounds or were at his feet, it's like the Pittman PI catch vs the Steelers no one would expect someone to catch that. I also haven't thrown the towel out on the guy, I'm just pointing out he has some areas of concern and it isn't just the not catching catchable balls. I refer to part of my previous post below

2 hours ago, Zoltan said:

when you combine that with he's kind of a one trick pony when it comes to really only doing deep routes. it does make me worry how he can improve or play in the future, another way to think about it is, Pierce was our healthiest WR and played the most snaps, as Pittman missed games and Downs wasn't on the field as much but barely broke 500 yards in 17 games.

Hopefully in his third year he will be able to improve and get open in the intermediate/short routes but it worries me that for a player with the most snaps we didn't see improvement in those areas.

2 hours ago, w87r said:

Wish I had time to go watch all the film and see just how many times he was wide open and never looked at the whole year.  Oh well on to next year

It was probably at least 2 times per game if not more. I think after a certain defense the defenses just didn't care about covering because they knew Minshew couldn't make that far of a throw.

4 hours ago, Zoltan said:

If I follow your post, you seem to be calling Alec Pierce our WR2.    If this is what you’re saying, I’m confused.  Pierce is our WR3.   Josh Downs is the Colts WR2 by far.  And that’s not my opinion, all the stats say so as well.  

What am I not understanding about your explanation?   

53 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

If I follow your post, you seem to be calling Alec Pierce our WR2.    If this is what you’re saying, I’m confused.  Pierce is our WR3.   Josh Downs is the Colts WR2 by far.  And that’s not my opinion, all the stats say so as well.  

What am I not understanding about your explanation?   

It's really just semantics, depth wise WR1/2 are the outside WRs and WR3 is the slot WR. Although its more common to call them slot WR instead of WR3 because their use has become more frequent. I'm surprised you don't know this, I thought it was common knowledge but it may just be a region thing.

• Thanks 3

30 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

It's really just semantics, depth wise WR1/2 are the outside WRs and WR3 is the slot WR. Although its more common to call them slot WR instead of WR3 because their use has become more frequent. I'm surprised you don't know this, I thought it was common knowledge but it may just be a region thing.

Hmmmm?    Interesting.   Not sure how much of this is semantics? 

Because,  I’ve never ever heard the three receivers being called WR1, WR2, WR3, other than when we’re talking about them as the first best, second best, third best and so on.   Conversationally. 

Because a flanker can be the WR1 if he’s the best WR on the team.  And the split end can be the WR2, if he’s the 2nd best receiver.  

When in the field, the receivers are referred to X, Y, and Z.   The split end is the X, the inline tight end is the Y, and the flanker is the Z. 

The receiving tight end is the F.    And the fullback/receiver is the H-back.  

Not trying to argue or be disagreeable here.   Just sharing what I’ve always understood. 

10 hours ago, w87r said:

This is where I would like our roster to look like going into free agency. 

Current 2024 Cap Space:

Spotrac - Not Updated with new moves (including 2023 rollover)

OtC - $58,472,587 (including 2023 rollover)

Re-signed 

2024 Roster:(66 under contract)

Offense:(31)

QB:(2) Anthony Richardson, Sam Ehlinger

RB:(4) Johnathan Taylor, Evan Hull, Tyler Goodson, Zavier Scott

WR:(7) Alex Pierce, Josh Downs, Ashton Dulin, DJ Montgomery, Juwann Winfree, Tyrie Cleveland, Ethan Fernea

TE:(7) Mo Alie-Cox, Andrew Ogletree, Jelani Woods, Kylen Granson, Will Mallory, Jordan Murray, Eric Tomlinson

OT:(4) Bernard Raimann, Braden Smith, Blake Freeland, Jake Witt

OG:(5) Quentin Nelson, Will Fries, Josh Sills, Arlington Hambright, Lewis Kidd

OC:(2) Ryan Kelly, Wesley French 

Defense:(32)

DE:(5) Samson Ebukam, Kwity Paye, Dayo Odeyingbo, Tyquan Lewis, Titus Leo

DT:(4) Deforest Buckner, Grover Stewart, Adetomiwa Adebawore, Eric Johnson

LB:(8) EJ Speed, Zaire Franklin, Grand Stuard, Isaiah Land, Cameron McGrone, Segun Olubi, Liam Anderson, Austin Ajiake

CB:(7) Dallis Flowers, JuJu Brents, Kenny Moore, Jaylon Jones, Ameer Speed, Chris Lammons, Darrell Baker Jr

S:(8) Julian Blackmon, Rodney Thomas, Nick Cross, Daniel Scott, Trevor Denbow, Marcel Dabo, Kendell Brooks, Michael Tutsie

SPT:(3)

K: Matt Gay

P: Rigoberto Sanchez 

LS: Luke Rhodes 

Remaining Free Agents:

QB: Gardner Minshew - walk

RB: Zach Moss - walk

Trey Sermon - walk for now, maybe re-sign later

WR: Michael Pittman - tag $21.7m + Trade(1st + 4th)

Isaiah McKenzie - walk

OC: Danny Pinter - walk(injured maybe re-sign once healthy?)

DE: Tyquan Lewis - re-sign 2yrs $8m, $3.5m year 1

Jake Martin - walk

Genard Avery - walk(injured maybe re-sign once healthy?)

DT: Grover Stewart - re-sign 2yrs $20m, $9m year 1

Taven Bryan - walk

CB: Kenny Moore - re-sign 3yr $27m deal, $8m year 1

S: Julian Blackmon - re-sign 2yr $14m real, $6m year 1

P: Rigoberto Sanchez - re-sign 1yr $2.5m

So for this exercise Pittman's cap number has no effect as he is traded. And let me preface this with, I am fine with Pittman back(hope he is), I just think it plays out this way. He wants to test the market, which he can if we franchise him(seems only option at this point), then I think he will get an offer on the market that Ballard doesn't want to match and he takes the picks. As it seems Pitt might want to head West right now?

Now new re-signed players 1st year cap hits total:

$29m

(5) players will fall off the top 51 in the moves for a total of:

$4.6m

Net cap hit for (5) re-signed players:

$24.4m

Subtract that from current cap space and the new cap space heading into Free Agency would be:

$34m

That's prior to any restructures/extensions or $5.9m saved releasing/trading Mo Alie-Cox.

Roster would look like above, and draft picks would look like this:

Draft Picks:

1st - (1st from Pittman trade)

4th - (4th from Pittman trade)

Would have (24) roster spots left entering the draft, in which we have (9) selections to start this scenario. I'm sure Ballard would move around and pick up a couple more.

That leaves (15) or less roster spots. 4-5 FAs:⁠- and (10) UDFA.

Thoughts? What would you do with those draft picks? Keep both 1st? Options are endless right now. Exciting times.

I love this time of the year, truly.

Question: ESPN last night had a graphic showing the Colts with 71 million in cap space to start the off-season , you only show 58 million based on your sources, wonder what the 13 mil difference is

55 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Question: ESPN last night had a graphic showing the Colts with 71 million in cap space to start the off-season , you only show 58 million based on your sources, wonder what the 13 mil difference is

They haven't updated all the future contracts. Those happened to officially start our off-season.

We've literally signed (17) players since we had $71m in cap space.

• Thanks 1

• w87r changed the title to Colts 2024 Current Up to Date Roster + Cap Outlook. OP updated w/ signings + Draft Slots*. (MERGE)

Trey Sermon should figure into the rb room next season, effective runner avg 4.6 yards a carry, spotty hands much worse then Goodson in that category. He is a restricted free agent, think he stay.s  Think it will likely be JT/Sermon/Goodson/Hull to start camp. Not sure Scott makes much impact though it is possible. Moss would be a nice 2 will be interesting what offers come.

Okay, here's my thinking. I've been vacillating on this, but I think the Colts should spend this offseason bolstering the offense, however they can. Approach the draft with a BPA/don't reach focus, but the goal should be to support the QB as much as possible. 

My reasoning is that making sure we have a QB that we can build around is the biggest question and the most important factor in determining whether we can contend in the playoffs moving forward. I think we've seen enough to know that Richardson has the capability and potential, but whether he reaches that potential depends largely on the circumstances and his surrounding cast. So make sure we have that box checked in 2024.

To me, that means improving the OL/depth at RG and RT, including a swing tackle who can backup Raimann and/or Smith (maybe that becomes Freeland, but give him some competition and make him fight for it). It means improving the pass catchers, whether that's a significant upgrade at WR or at TE, or both. I think we have some promising players at both positions already, but I wouldn't mind totally revamping the TE room. MAC probably needs to go, Granson has one year left and is a hybrid, Ogletree is probably gone, Mallory is fine as a backup. Woods is the most talented, and he didn't play all year. We don't have a single TE among the bunch who has more than 31 catches in a season.

We also need a good backup QB who can run the Richardson offense if necessary. I appreciate Minshew, but his physical limitations hold the offense back. Another good backup RB would be good, because I expect Moss to move on. I'd bring him back, but only on a backup level contract.

So I would like a new WR (proven veteran, or high level prospect), an upgrade at TE, and at least two new OL who can play on Sundays. I'd re-sign Pittman, probably move on from MAC and Minshew. And my hope would be to go into 2024 with no significant questions about the personnel on the offensive side of the ball. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Superman said:

Okay, here's my thinking. I've been vacillating on this, but I think the Colts should spend this offseason bolstering the offense, however they can. Approach the draft with a BPA/don't reach focus, but the goal should be to support the QB as much as possible. 

My reasoning is that making sure we have a QB that we can build around is the biggest question and the most important factor in determining whether we can contend in the playoffs moving forward. I think we've seen enough to know that Richardson has the capability and potential, but whether he reaches that potential depends largely on the circumstances and his surrounding cast. So make sure we have that box checked in 2024.

To me, that means improving the OL/depth at RG and RT, including a swing tackle who can backup Raimann and/or Smith (maybe that becomes Freeland, but give him some competition and make him fight for it). It means improving the pass catchers, whether that's a significant upgrade at WR or at TE, or both. I think we have some promising players at both positions already, but I wouldn't mind totally revamping the TE room. MAC probably needs to go, Granson has one year left and is a hybrid, Ogletree is probably gone, Mallory is fine as a backup. Woods is the most talented, and he didn't play all year. We don't have a single TE among the bunch who has more than 31 catches in a season.

We also need a good backup QB who can run the Richardson offense if necessary. I appreciate Minshew, but his physical limitations hold the offense back. Another good backup RB would be good, because I expect Moss to move on. I'd bring him back, but only on a backup level contract.

So I would like a new WR (proven veteran, or high level prospect), an upgrade at TE, and at least two new OL who can play on Sundays. I'd re-sign Pittman, probably move on from MAC and Minshew. And my hope would be to go into 2024 with no significant questions about the personnel on the offensive side of the ball. 

Me after reading this:   Siri, define vacillating 

2 hours ago, Superman said:

Yep, IMO every team that drafts a QB high should follow that blueprint. You have to know what your QB is capable of and know early because the most valuable part of QBs career is his cheap rookie deal, which both gives you an opportunity to strenghten the team for contention in that time frame and to surround that QB with high level talent in order to determine if he's the guy or not. 

I am yet to go over the top FAs but similar to Ballard I'm not the biggest fan of whatever is left on the market after franchise tags and extensions... IMO the depth is not what's lacking at both WR and TE. It's the top end talent that we need and don't have. 

I'd probably go heavy offense in the draft, although... if one of the top pass-rushers or CBs are there and there is no big time WR/TE on the board, you don't force it... either trade back or just get the BPA. 

For depth at OL I'd probably go in FA. 

RB in the draft... hell... take 1 on day 3 and one big time priority FA if you need. 

I think we need to address LB too. Our LB room has lost a lot of quality over the last few years. I wouldn't be shocked if Ballard spends a day 2 pick on LB. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Superman said:

Ballard said Bradley is under contract in 2024. 

How do I get this hat Ballard is wearing? I keep looking for it and can't find it...

Become a GM of an NFL team?

5 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Ballard won’t answer the fifth year option on Paye.

Why would he

1 hour ago, stitches said:

What's the difference between vacillating and oscillating? 

They have similar meanings. I don't know if I've heard/read 'oscillate' used in this kind of context, though. It's usually used in a mechanical context, while vacillate is usually referring to a person's thinking/decisions.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-difference-between-vacillate-and-oscillate#:~:text=Oscillate means to move back,to change one's mind repeatedly.

https://synonymappreciation.wordpress.com/2014/07/12/vacillate-and-oscillate/

Next time, I'll just say 'I'm hesitant.' 

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

They have similar meanings. I don't know if I've heard/read 'oscillate' used in this kind of context, though. It's usually used in a mechanical context, while vacillate is usually referring to a person's thinking/decisions.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-difference-between-vacillate-and-oscillate#:~:text=Oscillate means to move back,to change one's mind repeatedly.

https://synonymappreciation.wordpress.com/2014/07/12/vacillate-and-oscillate/

Next time, I'll just say 'I'm hesitant.' 

I didn't mean to derail your post.  I legit had never seen or heard that word.   Carry on.  I'm reading the dictionary now.   I'm up to Ac

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Superman said:

Agree with the FA focus on the offensive front.

RB DeeJay Dallas (Seattle) – In 2023 he returned 25 punts for 265 yards and 17 kicks for 440 yards (25.9 yards per return).  Dallas finished 10th in the league among players with at least 15 punt returns with 10.6 yards per return and landed 7th among players with at least 15 kick returns with 25.9 yards per return.  Have a better offensive impact with the Colts than with Seattle (Walker/Charbonnet).  Dallas would be an immediate improvement over McKenzie following his late season suspension.  Also, no guarantee we resign McKenzie. 

TE Adam Trautman (Denver) – Trautman was a favorite of mine playing locally for the Dayton Flyers and had high hopes for him to succeed since he entered in the league in 2020.  Cheaper-younger option and let MAC go freeing up cap space.

LT/RT Chuma Edoga (Cowboys) – Last season Edoga was very high on my FA list and once again he has proven to be one of the best OL backups in the game.

LG Ben Bartch (49er) another solid backup with proven history been under paid much like Edoga 1.8m APY.  For too long we haven’t had a capable backup behind Nelson. Time to address the issue and add a player like Bartch who’s a young veteran is still.

I think our FAs in order of importance that we re-sign them, are as followed:

1. Grover Stewart, we are so thin there. After Buckner we only have Johnson, who graded out as worst DT in football, and Adebawore, who had a developmental year. Resigning Stewart is almost a must, or some other big move to fill the spot.

2. Pittman, still feel like a tag and trade will be the end result(just my observation of the situation). Either way re-signing him or getting compensated comes in at #2.

3. Kenny Moore, CB room could definitely use a return by Kenny 

4. Blackmon, he has played as our most consistent safety the last few years, however he has also consistently been dealing with injuries as well. I think safety can be addressed a lot easier than other spots so he comes in 4th

5. Lewis, has been a great story to watch as he has battled through multiple injuries to have his best and most healthy season yet. Hopefully he is back.

6. Moss, not expecting him back, but if he don't find the role he was looking for out on the market, he might be willing to come back, since we showed belief in in him and traded for him.

7. Minshew, just don't see him being back. Role + money

The rest, I won't say aren't important, but I could still see some signed for minimum deals.

Sermon

Boettger

Anderson

Bryan

As far as Needs:(as it sits now)

DT(Grover FA)

WR(Pittman FA)

S(Blackmon FA)

LB(Coverage)

CB(Moore FA)

DT depth

Backup QB

IOL depth

S depth

WR(additional play maker)

CB

DE

LB

Not really feeling as DE is a big need(as some seem to think it is). Just need to help supplement the 4 man rush with some blitzing a little more often, to help create some more pressure and play a tighter coverage on the back end, while doing so, as well.

• Like 1