Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts 2024 Current Up to Date Roster + Cap Outlook. OP updated + on page 12(MERGE)

w87r

30 minutes ago, Superman said:

Also, I think draft weekend is going to be a mess on this forum this year, because everyone seems to have their hearts set on a WR in the first round, and I don't think it's happening. Just my early thinking, I could be wrong, and I reserve the right to change my mind as time goes by. That said, I still think they'll make a meaningful addition to the WR room, I just doubt that it's going to be the huge splash that everyone is hoping for.

Out of curiosity and because I value your opinion, what do you see us taking in the first?

I like the idea of adding Aiyuk by the way. I like Gabe Davis too even if he's not on Aiyuk's level.

5 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Out of curiosity and because I value your opinion, what do you see us taking in the first?

I like the idea of adding Aiyuk by the way. I like Gabe Davis too even if he's not on Aiyuk's level.

I don't know. I just don't see Ballard using that pick on a WR. I definitely don't see him trading up. Most likely, we move back.

Gabe Davis, IDK, he's pretty boom or bust, really inconsistent, he's never hit 50 catches, and never hit 900 yards. He had 8 drops in 2022. He does seem to have a big play gene, which is weird because it doesn't show up in his testing. 

By the way, Davis in Year 2: 63 targets, 35 catches, 549 yards (15.7/catch), 6 TDs, 5 drops (per PFR). 

Alec Pierce, in Year 2: 65 targets, 32 catches, 514 yards (16.1/catch), 2 TDs, 3 drops (per PFR).

One of those guys had peak Josh Allen. The other had Gardner Minshew.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't know. I just don't see Ballard using that pick on a WR. I definitely don't see him trading up. Most likely, we move back.

Gabe Davis, IDK, he's pretty boom or bust, really inconsistent, he's never hit 50 catches, and never hit 900 yards. He had 8 drops in 2022. He does seem to have a big play gene, which is weird because it doesn't show up in his testing. 

By the way, Davis in Year 2: 63 targets, 35 catches, 549 yards (15.7/catch), 6 TDs, 5 drops (per PFR). 

Alec Pierce, in Year 2: 65 targets, 32 catches, 514 yards (16.1/catch), 2 TDs, 3 drops (per PFR).

I'd like a WR, but I think we trade back and I think I'm fine with that too with where we pick.

They are very similar, but I didn't suggest Davis as a replacement, but as depth/competition for Pierce. Aiyuk would be a replacement.

I just don't see Ballard paying for both Pittman AND another high tier WR like Aiyuk - that's really my main reason for wanting to draft a WR.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yeah, I wouldn't sign Davis or pick Franklin at this point because they do the exact same thing as Pierce, and in that role I will want to see if Pierce can grow. If we go after someone I would want to get a player that is more than just a deep threat and has more variety in their route tree.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Also, I think draft weekend is going to be a mess on this forum this year, because everyone seems to have their hearts set on a WR in the first round, and I don't think it's happening. Just my early thinking, I could be wrong, and I reserve the right to change my mind as time goes by. That said, I still think they'll make a meaningful addition to the WR room, I just doubt that it's going to be the huge splash that everyone is hoping for.

Where I'm at right now.

Only way I see us using a 1st on a WR is if we end up tag + trading Pittman.

I also love Aiyuk, but kind of the same thing, I think he could/would potentially be a replacement for Pittman, not pairing them together.

For me I’m confident we are going to extend Pittman.  The five year extension will result in low cap hits for the first three years.  So Ballard will be able to trade for a WR with a high cap hit this year and next.  Brown has lower cap hits but he will be more expensive to acquire than McLaurin who has higher cap hits this year and next.   Washington will have a new coach and rookie quarterback.  They might be receptive to dealing McLaurin at this time and using our pick to help rebuild the roster.  Not sure if Brown can force himself out of Philadelphia either.  Right now I’m thinking McLaurin has the best chance of being acquired.  The quicker the Pittman extension happens the better.  Then other moves can be worked on.  Regardless it’s fun to dream and speculate.

9 hours ago, richard pallo said:

For me I’m confident we are going to extend Pittman.  The five year extension will result in low cap hits for the first three years.  So Ballard will be able to trade for a WR with a high cap hit this year and next.  Brown has lower cap hits but he will be more expensive to acquire than McLaurin who has higher cap hits this year and next.   Washington will have a new coach and rookie quarterback.  They might be receptive to dealing McLaurin at this time and using our pick to help rebuild the roster.  Not sure if Brown can force himself out of Philadelphia either.  Right now I’m thinking McLaurin has the best chance of being acquired.  The quicker the Pittman extension happens the better.  Then other moves can be worked on.  Regardless it’s fun to dream and speculate.

Pittman is getting tagged, he wants to see what's out there. No quick extension coming here. Probably drag out to late March early April.

That's the only way for that to happen(to see FA), we may agree to match an offer after that, but I think it's more likely we work out a trade before offer sheet is signed and move on at that point. That's where I'm at with the process. I would like to have him back, but I'm not seeing it in the cards. I would say it's 50/50 right now, at best, on if Pittman returns or not.

Brown has $42m dead cap hit, will be tough to force his way out. They can save $10m against cap this year, if it's post June 1st trade, but still $42m dead cap over the 2 years.

McClaurin is ok, nothing to be too excited about. He won't see nearly the same amount of targets he is used to being paired with Pittman.

1 hour ago, w87r said:

Pittman is getting tagged, he wants to see what's out there. No quick extension coming here. Probably drag out to late March early April.

That's the only way for that to happen(to see FA), we may agree to match an offer after that, but I think it's more likely we work out a trade before offer sheet is signed and move on at that point. That's where I'm at with the process. I would like to have him back, but I'm not seeing it in the cards. I would say it's 50/50 right now, at best, on if Pittman returns or not.

Brown has $42m dead cap hit, will be tough to force his way out. They can save $10m against cap this year, if it's post June 1st trade, but still $42m dead cap over the 2 years.

McClaurin is ok, nothing to be too excited about. He won't see nearly the same amount of targets he is used to being paired with Pittman.

He was posturing most likely. 

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

He was posturing most likely. 

Posturing would be if he just said he wanted to see what's out there.

He went into detail about role. 

Anyway it goes, if he was posturing, it is to get a top dollar $28-$30m offer from us. If we don't come with that(and shouldn't, we can offer $21.7m and $26m for 2 tag seasons), he will take the tag and go see what's on the market. He probably isn't going to get that on the market.($28-$30m)

Even if the offer comes in lower and the Colts might want to match, a discussion will be had at that point(Front Office + Pittman and Agent) on if he would rather stay or go. If he would rather go, then have us match, we can work the deal out. I would say it would be a 1st + 4th at minimum(as the price to bring in a franchised player in after offer sheet is (2) 1st), no one is paying that.

I think we are well on the road to a tag, where it goes from there is anyone's guess. 

8 minutes ago, w87r said:

Anyway it goes, if he was posturing, it is to get a top dollar $28-$30m offer from us. If we don't come with that(and shouldn't, we can offer $21.7m and $26m for 2 tag seasons), he will take the tag and go see what's on the market. He probably isn't going to get that on the market.($28-$30m)

Even if the offer comes in lower and the Colts might want to match, a discussion will be had at that point(Front Office + Pittman and Agent) on if he would rather stay or go. If he would rather go, then have us match, we can work the deal out. I would say it would be a 1st + 4th at minimum(as the price to bring in a franchised player in after offer sheet is (2) 1st), no one is paying that.

I think we are well on the road to a tag, where it goes from there is anyone's guess. 

He is not getting elite WR money. It will be slightly less the the elite WR. Colts tag him he won’t even be able to test the market. Ballard said WR money is like gas. You have to pay it. I actually don’t think it is going to be that hard to get an extension done.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, w87r said:

Why can’t we give his agent permission now to go see what the marketplace looks like?   We did that with Taylor.  Ballard said he is on great terms with him.  So if they are good friends he should be able to do that.  I think if he really wanted to leave the Colts then Ballard would accommodate him like he did with Gilmore.  I think he wants to stay and play with AR Taylor and Shane.  I don’t think he’s looking for top of the market money.  If their relationship is what Ballard says it is and I believe him then I think he’s going to get rewarded with a very nice contract like Ballard has done with his other players.  I don’t think this is going to drag out at ll.  

12 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Colts tag him he won’t even be able to test the market

What are you talking about?

They tag him, he will 100% be able to go talk to any team about an offer, unless it's an exclusive tag( which 100%, it won't be).  He will be given the non-exclusive tag and free to talk to any team.

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

don’t think this is going to drag out at all.  

We shall see.

2 hours ago, husker61 said:

I don’t think a team will give up a #1 pick and have to pay a big contract for him. 

You mean like the Colts did with Buckner?

Dolphins did with Hill

Bills did with Diggs

Eagles with AJ Brown 

Could go on and on.

That's literally how it works.

Trade for a guy and pay them big money.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, w87r said:

Dolphins did with Hill

Bills did with Diggs

Eagles with AJ Brown 

Could go on and on.

I don’t think he is the same caliber player as those players.

27 minutes ago, husker61 said:

I don’t think he is the same caliber player as those players.

That's fair, I agree with that sentiment.

There will be plenty of teams interested in signing him, I have no doubt about that.

So if they are interested in that, they know and will be willing to trade draft compensation(only choice to get him).

With compensation starting at (2) 1st if offer sheet isn't signed, I think a team would definitely be willing to give up a 1st(20-32 range) and an additional 4th to get the Colts to agree to trade him before offer sheet is signed.

Why would the Colts take less, unless they really just want to move on.

Colts would rather they just not sign the offer sheet and get the (2) 1st.

We shall see, who knows where it goes.

Just seems to be going towards the tag, can go anywhere at that point. Think we are in for a other 2-3 months till we find out. If it's sooner then we locked him up to long term deal.

March 5th is deadline to put the tag on

2 hours ago, w87r said:

That's fair, I agree with that sentiment.

There will be plenty of teams interested in signing him, I have no doubt about that.

So if they are interested in that, they know and will be willing to trade draft compensation(only choice to get him).

With compensation starting at (2) 1st if offer sheet isn't signed, I think a team would definitely be willing to give up a 1st(20-32 range) and an additional 4th to get the Colts to agree to trade him before offer sheet is signed.

Why would the Colts take less, unless they really just want to move on.

Colts would rather they just not sign the offer sheet and get the (2) 1st.

We shall see, who knows where it goes.

Just seems to be going towards the tag, can go anywhere at that point. Think we are in for a other 2-3 months till we find out. If it's sooner then we locked him up to long term deal.

March 5th is deadline to put the tag on

Another thought I had was that Jim Irsay’s hospitalization/medical condition might be slowing down the signing of Pittman and possibly some of the other player decisions that need to be made.  I have no doubt Ballard is handling the daily routine goings on in the organization but Pittman’s situation and maybe a few others might be waiting on Jim’s thoughts and input.  Jim likes to tweet things out all the time.  He’s proud of his players and I would guess he would probably make a comment if we extended Pittman.   We don’t know his condition and Ballard could be just waiting for Jim to return to the office to finalize things.  Even if it’s just a courtesy.  Just a thought that crossed my mind.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Another thought I had was that Jim Irsay’s hospitalization/medical condition might be slowing down the signing of Pittman and possibly some of the other player decisions that need to be made.  I have no doubt Ballard is handling the daily routine goings on in the organization but Pittman’s situation and maybe a few others might be waiting on Jim’s thoughts and input.  Jim likes to tweet things out all the time.  He’s proud of his players and I would guess he would probably make a comment if we extended Pittman.   We don’t know his condition and Ballard could be just waiting for Jim to return to the office to finalize things.  Even if it’s just a courtesy.  Just a thought that crossed my mind.

Possibly.

I just think Pittman legitimately wants to check the market. I don't think he was lying or posturing. I think he was being honest, and the only way he can do that, with Colts protections in place, is to tag and go from there.

I've been saying we are already at that point currently, even though we won't officially be there till beginning of March.

1 hour ago, w87r said:

Possibly.

I just think Pittman legitimately wants to check the market. I don't think he was lying or posturing. I think he was being honest, and the only way he can do that, with Colts protections in place, is to tag and go from there.

I've been saying we are already at that point currently, even though we won't officially be there till beginning of March.

I’ve heard he wants to play out West. Is there any possibilities of trading Pittman and pick #15 to move up? It’s wishful thinking, but do you think San Diego would trade pick #5 for #15 and Pittman? 

21 minutes ago, DattMavis said:

I’ve heard he wants to play out West. Is there any possibilities of trading Pittman and pick #15 to move up? It’s wishful thinking, but do you think San Diego would trade pick #5 for #15 and Pittman? 

You can’t trade players not under contract.   You also can’t make any trades right now until the new league year starts and when that starts Pittman wouldn’t be under contract because his contract would expire with the new league year.  So either he would have to sign a new deal with the Colts and then have them trade him, which you don’t see in the NFL because of cap hits, or they would have to tag him to move him and even then if they tag him I think they will prefer to just keep him.

29 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

You can’t trade players not under contract.   You also can’t make any trades right now until the new league year starts and when that starts Pittman wouldn’t be under contract because his contract would expire with the new league year.  So either he would have to sign a new deal with the Colts and then have them trade him, which you don’t see in the NFL because of cap hits, or they would have to tag him to move him and even then if they tag him I think they will prefer to just keep him.

Yeah, sorry. I meant in a tag and trade situation.

9 hours ago, w87r said:

Dolphins did with Hill

Bills did with Diggs

Eagles with AJ Brown 

Could go on and on.

Are there any players worth trading for who's up for an extension?

I could see this as a year we do something like this if a great player at a position of need is available.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I could see this as a year we do something like this if a great player at a position of need is available.

Looks like Josh Sweat, DE, Eagles is a FA next season, so he should be eligible for an extension this offseason right?

He does bring a big cap hit in '25 it seems, but a new contract could possibly push that, or? I'm not really hot on this contract stuff. 😅

Sweat might not be worth it though. More of a lateral move. Maybe a slight upgrade.

Derrick Brown, DT, Panthers is a FA next season as well, but I guess they have the capspace to sign him. He's a beast.

Christian Barmore, DT, Patriots.

9 hours ago, Solid84 said:

One trade that might be worth exploring is we tag Pittman and the Panthers tag Brian Burns and we trade with them and sign Burns to an extension.  We might have to sweeten the deal with a player or pick but we finally get our premier ER.  Like you said they have to sign Brown.  Pick Brown to extend and get Young an excellent receiver.  We still have our 1st pick to use to trade for a WR1  or use in the draft.

12 hours ago, Solid84 said:

Haven't really been looking into. Probably should.

13 hours ago, DattMavis said:

Chargers have big cap decisions on Allen and Williams, can't see Pittman fitting into that scenario. Maybe one gets traded/ released, but why replace him with another big price WR?

On 1/18/2024 at 7:32 PM, Superman said:

I think you're spot-on. Unless one of the current top receiving prospects drops to 15(like Odunze or Nabers, and there's no reason now to think they would), and his history shows he won't trade up in the 1st, there wouldn't be a receiver that fits in that slot. Daniel Jeremiah just put up his 1st mock draft and has the Colts taking Bowers at 15, that to me seems unlikely as well.

Wild speculation at this point until we get further in the process, but right now it seems like there's a large number of offensive and defensive linemen that could be available at 15(Verse, Latu, Mims, Fuaga, etc). Ballard's history says he takes one of these players at 15 or moves down.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, w87r said:

Chargers have big cap decisions on Allen and Williams, can't see Pittman fitting into that scenario. Maybe one gets traded/ released, but why replace him with another big price WR?

Yeah, Chargers this offseason are gonna be sellers not buyers. They have way to many players with gigantic cap hits. 

Another WR who could be an acquisition target is Jerry Jeudy.  He has been linked to the Colts in the past.  He was the 15th pick when drafted and will play this year on the 5th year option which is just around 13M.  He is only 24.  The Broncos are expected to move on from either Sutton, who is 30, or Jeudy.  Being close to 25m over the cap is going to require them to make some space.  Both players were reportedly available at the trade deadline but Denver held firm.  They were supposedly looking for a 1st for Jeudy.  Sutton something less.  Sutton wound up being Wilson’s go to and favorite target.  I would think Ballard would revisit a potential trade for Jeudy again if in fact he was in discussions with Denver earlier.

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Another WR who could be an acquisition target is Jerry Jeudy.  He has been linked to the Colts in the past.  He was the 15th pick when drafted and will play this year on the 5th year option which is just around 13M.  He is only 24.  The Broncos are expected to move on from either Sutton, who is 30, or Jeudy.  Being close to 25m over the cap is going to require them to make some space.  Both players were reportedly available at the trade deadline but Denver held firm.  They were supposedly looking for a 1st for Jeudy.  Sutton something less.  Sutton wound up being Wilson’s go to and favorite target.  I would think Ballard would revisit a potential trade for Jeudy again if in fact he was in discussions with Denver earlier.

There's a reason he might be available...He is underperforming. 

• 2 weeks later...

Starting to get a little pumped up. Things should start rolling here real soon. Super Bowl, Combine then time to go.

Feb 20 - Mar 5:(next Tuesday)

Is the Franchise Tag period

So we will know Pittman tag situation as early as 1 1/2 - 3 weeks and other potential re-signings as well.

Quickly followed up by free agency.

Been a little quiet lately(to be expected), outside of the traditional throw names against the wall, see what sticks rumor mill(Brown, Diggs, Evans).

Anyway, one name I have seen a few times, in different places, is J'Narius Snead. Could see that one making some sense. Would be a good get there.

That big DT, Sweat, from Texas has me intrigued. Would love to find a way to get him to town. Draft still a little bit away (not too far though :D), a lot still TBD on how the roster will look by that point.

Saw an article that said the Colts were the #4 ranked team, as far as set up for the future. If I remember correctly it had Texans, Commanders and Titans above us. Texans I could see but I think we are above those other 2, they just have a little more cap space than us, so that must weigh on those rankings heavily.

Full of anticipation for the next 2 months.

Episode 11 Mma GIF by UFC

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, w87r said:

Starting to get a little pumped up. Things should start rolling here real soon. Super Bowl, Combine then time to go.

So we will know Pittman tag situation as early as 1 1/2 - 3 weeks and other potential re-signings as well.

Been a little quiet lately(to be expected), outside of the traditional throw names against the wall, see what sticks rumor mill(Brown, Diggs, Evans).

Anyway, one name I have seen a few times, in different places, is J'Narius Snead. Could see that one making some sense. Would be a good get there.

That big DT, Sweat, from Texas has me intrigued. Would love to find a way to get him to town. Draft still a little bit away (not too far though :D), a lot still TBD on how the roster will look by that point.

Saw an article that said the Colts were the #4 ranked team, as far as set up for the future. If I remember correctly it had Texans, Commanders and Titans above us. Texans I could see but I think we are above those other 2, they just have a little more cap space than us, so that must weigh on those rankings heavily.

Mixed Martial Arts Sport GIF by UFC

Watching this GIF makes me feel seasick.  My thanks!!  LOL

5 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Watching this GIF makes me feel seasick.  My thanks!!  LOL

Definitely has that effect looking back at it. Perhaps I will change it.

On another note, guess this as good as any place I see to put it 

21 minutes ago, w87r said:

Episode 11 Mma GIF by UFC

Just read where the Eagles have given Hassan Reddick permission to seek a trade.  2024 is the last year of his current contract.  29 years old.  I wonder if the Colts would be interested.  They might be receptive to Paye and a pick or two.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Just read where the Eagles have given Hassan Reddick permission to seek a trade.  2024 is the last year of his current contract.  29 years old.  I wonder if the Colts would be interested.  They might be receptive to Paye and a pick or two.

Yeah just saw that as well. 

He would be in a 1yr $15m deal with new team.

They are looking for ways to shed salary, it's a little strange though here, because they don't really save anything here. They have the same dead cap whether traded or released pre June 1st($712k savings). I don't think his going price will be very high. 

Eagles could save $15.5m this year if they designated him a post June 1st release. But be on the hook next year for $14.8m dead cap.

I think this signals to teams that if a deal can't be made he will likely be a post June 1st release, so mid to late pick, or pick swap might be all it would take.

21 minutes ago, w87r said:

Yeah just saw that as well. 

He would be in a 1yr $15m deal with new team.

They are looking for ways to shed salary, it's a little strange though here, because they don't really save anything here. They have the same dead cap whether traded or released pre June 1st($712k savings). I don't think his going price will be very high. 

Eagles could save $15.5m this year if they designated him a post June 1st release. But be on the hook next year for $14.8m dead cap.

I think this signals to teams that if a deal can't be made he will likely be a post June 1st release, so mid to late pick, or pick swap might be all it would take.

Just thinking out loud but wouldn’t you think Ballard would extend him similarly to what he did for Buckner.  Secure a happy player for the future.  Giving them Paye would probably do the trick then.  Dayo would backup Reddick I suppose.  

45 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Just thinking out loud but wouldn’t you think Ballard would extend him similarly to what he did for Buckner.  Secure a happy player for the future.  Giving them Paye would probably do the trick then.  Dayo would backup Reddick I suppose.  

Probably, I was just stating the cap ramifications for new team. Which isn't too bad.

• Like 1

• w87r changed the title to Colts 2024 Current Up to Date Roster + Cap Outlook. OP updated(MERGE)
On 12/24/2023 at 11:09 AM, w87r said:

2024 Cap Space:

Spotrac - $79,250,395(including 2023 rollover)(57 players shown under contract)

OtC - $72,323,573(including 2023 rollover)(62 players shown under contract; which is what I have)

2024 Roster:(under contract)(62)

Offense:(32)

QB:(2) Anthony Richardson, Sam Ehlinger

RB:(4) Johnathan Taylor, Evan Hull, Tyler Goodson, Zavier Scott

WR:(8) Alex Pierce, Josh Downs, Ashton Dulin, DJ Montgomery, Juwann Winfree, Tyrie Cleveland, Ethan Fernea, Terrell Bynum

TE:(7) Mo Alie-Cox, Andrew Ogletree, Jelani Woods, Kylen Granson, Will Mallory, Jordan Murray, Eric Tomlinson

OT:(4) Bernard Raimann, Braden Smith, Blake Freeland, Jake Witt

OG:(5) Quentin Nelson, Will Fries, Josh Sills, Arlington Hambright, Lewis Kidd

OC:(2) Ryan Kelly, Wesley French 

Defense:(28)

DE:(4) Samson Ebukam, Kwity Paye, Dayo Odeyingbo, Titus Leo

DT:(3) Deforest Buckner, Adetomiwa Adebawore, Eric Johnson

LB:(8) EJ Speed, Zaire Franklin, Grand Stuard, Isaiah Land, Cameron McGrone, Segun Olubi, Liam Anderson, Austin Ajiake

CB:(6) Dallis Flowers, JuJu Brents, Jaylon Jones, Ameer Speed, Chris Lammons, Darrell Baker Jr

S:(7) Rodney Thomas, Nick Cross, Daniel Scott, Trevor Denbow, Marcel Dabo, Kendell Brooks, Michael Tutsie

SPT:(2)

K: Matt Gay

P:

LS: Luke Rhodes 

Remaining Free Agents:

QB: Gardner Minshew

RB: Zach Moss, Trey Sermon

WR: Michael Pittman, Isaiah McKenzie 

OC: Danny Pinter

DE: Tyquan Lewis, Jake Martin, Genard Avery

DT: Grover Stewart, Taven Bryan

CB: Kenny Moore

S: Julian Blackmon

P: Rigoberto Sanchez 

**Remaining unsigned Practice Squad players as well

Draft Picks:(TBD)

**Per drafttek

Updated OP with new Salary Cap figure and available cap space.

Also here is the updated roster/ draft picks as it sits currently. Bout time for what might be my favorite time of the season. 

2024 Cap Space:

Spotrac - $79,250,395(including 2023 rollover)(57 players shown under contract)

OtC - $72,323,573(including 2023 rollover)(62 players shown under contract; which is what I have)

Will keep roster updated throughout the offseason.

*Spotrac hasn't updated increased salaries based of performance.

• Like 1