Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Richardson update

Restinpeacesweetchloe

A couple of thoughts:

1 - "half way" doesn't necessarily mean "ready to play in 4 weeks"

2 - even if he is ready to play in 4 weeks, and we're in the playoffs, I would still have Minshew do it.  It would not be the time for AR5 to continue figuring out how to play at this level.  And Minshew would have earned the spot in the playoffs.  He should reap the benefits of his work.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just looking a him on the sidelines the past couple weeks it looks like he’s lost quite a bit of weight (obvious as to why).  I don’t think he would be in game shape even if he could start throwing. 

Even if I’m wrong it would be a fools errand to rush him back. We’re winning with Gardner.  We will continue to roll with Gardner.

• Like 1

AR was out of his sling and shaking and rotating his arm and hands to the Colts cam after the Steelers game. I was pleasantly shocked and glad to see that. He is recovering really well and he will be ready to roll next camp. I can see him working out with his receivers during the offseason. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

A couple of thoughts:

1 - "half way" doesn't necessarily mean "ready to play in 4 weeks"

2 - even if he is ready to play in 4 weeks, and we're in the playoffs, I would still have Minshew do it.  It would not be the time for AR5 to continue figuring out how to play at this level.  And Minshew would have earned the spot in the playoffs.  He should reap the benefits of his work.

I don't think there's any question about it. He won't be back on the field this year.

• Like 5

On 12/19/2023 at 8:56 PM, NewColtsFan said:

No, it doesn’t.   Read the story.   

I think that poster was kidding. (At least I hope so.) No one in their right mind would believe that Richardson is playing again this season and post-season.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I think that poster was kidding. (At least I hope so.) No one in their right mind would believe that Richardson is playing again this season and post-season.

Thats right!  But I do think Andrew will be back for the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

Thanks.   I freely admit I don’t have a very good sarcasm/kidding filter.    Not one of my better skills.    

I think you’re the second poster to catch that, so you’re probably right.  Thanks again.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thanks.   I freely admit I don’t have a very good sarcasm/kidding filter.    Not one of my better skills.    

I think you’re the second poster to catch that, so you’re probably right.  Thanks again.   

I am pretty sure he was kidding. Like I just did, that is why it is always good to let posters know if you are joking/being sarcastic or not. 

• Thanks 1

Love the guy. The video of him at Riley was fantastic. 

Want to see him succeed and win here very much. But this is Gardner Minshew’s team and chance this year. Opportunity of a lifetime for Minshew. Sometimes that isn’t thought about or discussed much on here. If Minshew can lead this team to a playoff and even a division title, the momentum for #5’s return in 2024 will be massive. 

3 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Love the guy. The video of him at Riley was fantastic. 

Want to see him succeed and win here very much. But this is Gardner Minshew’s team and chance this year. Opportunity of a lifetime for Minshew. Sometimes that isn’t thought about or discussed much on here. If Minshew can lead this team to a playoff and even a division title, the momentum for #5’s return in 2024 will be massive. 

Another thing that isn't discussed much (or maybe it is and I've ignored it) is that Gardner isn't going to sign for $3.5M next season.   Maybe not even triple that.

Someone is going to pay him to either compete for the starting job, or they think they're SB bound and want reliable insurance.

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Just curious, do you ever use sarcasm? Either in writing, or in person communication?

35 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Another thing that isn't discussed much (or maybe it is and I've ignored it) is that Gardner isn't going to sign for $3.5M next season.   Maybe not even triple that.

Someone is going to pay him to either compete for the starting job, or they think they're SB bound and want reliable insurance.

Jacoby Brissett got one year, $8m, so maybe. He's played 19 snaps this season. Taylor Heinicke got two years, $14m. 

Then Baker Mayfield got one year, $4m, with incentives to earn another $4.5m. So I think $7-9m/year is probably where the market lands for Minshew. I think the Colts should make that investment, and I'm not super excited about Minshew.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

Jacoby Brissett got one year, $8m, so maybe. He's played 19 snaps this season. Taylor Heinicke got two years, $14m. 

Then Baker Mayfield got one year, $4m, with incentives to earn another $4.5m. So I think $7-9m/year is probably where the market lands for Minshew. I think the Colts should make that investment, and I'm not super excited about Minshew.

...OR...and I know this isn't going to be a popular opinion...draft Sanders, Ewers or McCarthy...

Let GM find another home, and make Sam earn a paycheck until your new rookie shows he's a capable backup.

11 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

...OR...and I know this isn't going to be a popular opinion...draft Sanders, Ewers or McCarthy...

Let GM find another home, and make Sam earn a paycheck until your new rookie shows he's a capable backup.

It’s not unpopular to me. I think it would make a lot of sense to find someone in the draft that is a similar style player so that Steichen’s offense isn’t disrupted by someone limited like Minshew is. Veteran or not, it would make sense to me. The money is a whole different element. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

It comes down to how much you value having a veteran backup who can potentially save your season.

I think the Minshew discourse needs to be tempered. He's obviously limited, and the Colts have played a soft schedule this year. I don't think a bunch of teams will be beating down his door to make him a starter in 2024. But I do think he can maintain a functional offense for 3-4 weeks if your starter is down, and until Richardson shows he can stay healthy for an entire season, that's valuable for the Colts. Especially after watching so much dreadful backup QB play around the league this year.

I don't think Ehlinger meets the backup criteria, even though it's possible that Steichen can get more out of him than what we saw in 2022.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Superman said:

Just curious, do you ever use sarcasm? Either in writing, or in person communication?

Yes….   Both in writing and speaking.  

When writing, I try to remember to use emoji’s to add emphasis so the sarcasm is obvious.    

When speaking, I try to be aware of who I’m talking to.   With certain close friends, sarcasm is easy and obvious.   But when I’m with certain family members in a group setting I don’t think it would go over as well.   They're culturally different, so I pick my spots much more carefully.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

Maybe not even TRIPLE that?   Wowza. 

If Minshew gets an offer like that before the Colts have signed him and Minshew brings it to Ballard, I think CB says congratulations you have to take it.   Because that team is paying Minshew to be their starter next year.  He’s got to take that offer.   Minshew would still be the Colts backup next year even if the team was willing to come close to matching.  The Colts would have to find a new quality back up, which I think they would.  

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Maybe not even TRIPLE that?   Wowza. 

If Minshew gets an offer like that before the Colts have signed him and Minshew brings it to Ballard, I think CB says congratulations you have to take it.   Because that team is paying Minshew to be their starter next year.  He’s got to take that offer.   Minshew would still be the Colts backup next year even if the team was willing to come close to matching.  The Colts would have to find a new quality back up, which I think they would.  

I don’t think he’s wrong in assuming minshew could get a double digit offer. Especially depending on how the next few weeks go. 

And I think you are correct with Ballard’s reaction to that. Minshew might not want to go anywhere and be willing to settle for less to continue his career here, in a system that he is comfortable in, and with a team that he’s built relationships and has made fans with. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. 

48 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

35 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

It’s not unpopular to me. I think it would make a lot of sense to find someone in the draft that is a similar style player so that Steichen’s offense isn’t disrupted by someone limited like Minshew is. Veteran or not, it would make sense to me. The money is a whole different element. 

Sorry, but It would be extremely unpopular with me for several reasons….

For a variety of reasons, neither Eason or Sam have worked out as hoped.   But Minshew sure has.   

So if the Colts lose Minshew, I think they’d go back to the veteran option.  A vet could step in next year and lead as Gardner has done this year.   A rookie?   No.   Plus, a rookie is likely going to cost the Colts a 2nd or 3rd round pick.  I don’t think Ballard would have any interest in doing that.   I’d be beyond shocked.   Sorry… 

It will be interesting to see what Minshew wants to do. Will he be content with being a great backup on a good team that just fills in for 2 or 3 games to save face if the starter gets injured, or will he want to move on and try to start somewhere full-time? Then how much money will he think he is worth? 

Sam hasn't had much of a sample size but from what I have seen of him when he did play, he looked bad to me. I am talking 3rd string material. I don't see Sam as a legit backup that can win us any games in a pinch. He belongs on a roster but as a 3rd string guy. He is our backup now because AR is out.

My final observation: I would re-sign him to a 1-year deal until we see AR play a full season. I am thinking among the lines of 7 Million for 1 year. That would double what he is making now. He has deserved that for the way he has played/held the fort down, 7 mill would not break the bank. 

41 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sorry, but It would be extremely unpopular with me for several reasons….

For a variety of reasons, neither Eason or Sam have worked out as hoped.   But Minshew sure has.   

So if the Colts lose Minshew, I think they’d go back to the veteran option.  A vet could step in next year and lead as Gardner has done this year.   A rookie?   No.   Plus, a rookie is likely going to cost the Colts a 2nd or 3rd round pick.  I don’t think Ballard would have any interest in doing that.   I’d be beyond shocked.   Sorry… 

I doubt Ballard or Steichen cares if it’s unpopular with any of us… 

I think Ballard will likely have Shane’s input on if Sam is a worthy backup. Sam might not have worked out as we hoped, but that was under the previous coaching regime and really poor performing offensive line. He’s been worthy enough to the current coaching regime and Ballard to stay on the roster. If he’s a significantly cheaper option as backup, and they deem him a better option than others, then it won’t be unpopular with me. I think we can all agree, we would all be pretty upset if we found ourselves in the same situation with Richardson as we have this year…

i don’t think a rookie option is going to cost a 2 or 3, not if they deem Sam worthy of the backup spot. Sam was a 6th round pick, and they could easily look to find a scheme player to fit that mold and groom from within. Sam is under contract, regardless. It all depends on Minshew. But there is little chance we bring him back on a double digit salary, unless they are unsure of #5’s readiness, which I doubt very seriously is the case.

also- Minshew’s qb rating is quite a bit less than what it was when he was in Jacksonville. So it’s hard for me, and I know it would be hard for Shane and Ballard, to credit Minshew entirely with the offensive success this year. I think it’s a lot more of Shane’s work and the o-line improvement/ utilizing weapons better. I don’t see them thinking that Sam couldn’t be a viable backup, especially if it meant bringing a rookie scheme fit in behind him and at a much cheaper rate than going with a vet/minshew again. However, Ballard does have a history of rewarding players that perform and are leaders. Minshew has proven to be a winner and a leader. 

On 12/19/2023 at 6:13 PM, Bravo said:

Ugh… let’s hope he gets his strength back and can stay healthy next year.

I am concerned that he got injured on that play being very young and very athletic when we see other less gifted QBs getting hammered this year without any comparative injuries. I don't know of any injuries he suffered in college.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I doubt Ballard or Steichen cares if it’s unpopular with any of us… 

I think Ballard will likely have Shane’s input on if Sam is a worthy backup. Sam might not have worked out as we hoped, but that was under the previous coaching regime and really poor performing offensive line. He’s been worthy enough to the current coaching regime and Ballard to stay on the roster. If he’s a significantly cheaper option as backup, and they deem him a better option than others, then it won’t be unpopular with me. I think we can all agree, we would all be pretty upset if we found ourselves in the same situation with Richardson as we have this year…

i don’t think a rookie option is going to cost a 2 or 3, not if they deem Sam worthy of the backup spot. Sam was a 6th round pick, and they could easily look to find a scheme player to fit that mold and groom from within. Sam is under contract, regardless. It all depends on Minshew. But there is little chance we bring him back on a double digit salary, unless they are unsure of #5’s readiness, which I doubt very seriously is the case.

also- Minshew’s qb rating is quite a bit less than what it was when he was in Jacksonville. So it’s hard for me, and I know it would be hard for Shane and Ballard, to credit Minshew entirely with the offensive success this year. I think it’s a lot more of Shane’s work and the o-line improvement/ utilizing weapons better. I don’t see them thinking that Sam couldn’t be a viable backup, especially if it meant bringing a rookie scheme fit in behind him and at a much cheaper rate than going with a vet/minshew again. However, Ballard does have a history of rewarding players that perform and are leaders. Minshew has proven to be a winner and a leader. 

Why did you do that? 

You wrote that it wouldn’t be unpopular with you.    I wrote that would be unpopular with me.   And you snarked back that you don’t think Ballard or Steichen care what we think.  That was unhelpful at best. 

Sam has been our 3rd string QB all season.   When you’re the 3rd string you get almost no reps with the team.   Your practice time comes AFTER the team’s practice.  You work with a few coaches and players.   That’s all you get.   

My point is it’s hard to improve in that kind of setting.   So it’s hard to see Sam as our future QB2.   Is it possible?   Sure.  But is it likely?   I don’t think so.  

20 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Why did you do that? 

You wrote that it wouldn’t be unpopular with you.    I wrote that would be unpopular with me.   And you snarked back that you don’t think Ballard or Steichen care what we think.  That was unhelpful at best. 

Sam has been our 3rd string QB all season.   When you’re the 3rd string you get almost no reps with the team.   Your practice time comes AFTER the team’s practice.  You work with a few coaches and players.   That’s all you get.   

My point is it’s hard to improve in that kind of setting.   So it’s hard to see Sam as our future QB2.   Is it possible?   Sure.  But is it likely?   I don’t think so.  

no- I said I didn’t think they would care if it was unpopular with any of us. Only one of us said it would be… 

I doubt very seriously that Sam hasn’t improved and will not be a backup, or have the potential to be one once his contract is up here. 

…and they don’t care what any of us think. I responded to the original poster of the unpopular opinion that it wasn’t necessarily to me. It’s obviously going to be unpopular to most of this board. But that isn’t going to change the mind of anyone that is actually in the building watching how Sam works as a professional. I’d prefer to have him than some random vet that isn’t named Gardner minshew. 

52 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It will be interesting to see what Minshew wants to do. Will he be content with being a great backup on a good team that just fills in for 2 or 3 games to save face if the starter gets injured, or will he want to move on and try to start somewhere full-time? Then how much money will he think he is worth? 

Sam hasn't had much of a sample size but from what I have seen of him when he did play, he looked bad to me. I am talking 3rd string material. I don't see Sam as a legit backup that can win us any games in a pinch. He belongs on a roster but as a 3rd string guy. He is our backup now because AR is out.

My final observation: I would re-sign him to a 1-year deal until we see AR play a full season. I am thinking among the lines of 7 Million for 1 year. That would double what he is making now. He has deserved that for the way he has played/held the fort down, 7 mill would not break the bank. 

I don’t think we can use the sample size of Sam to adequately judge. That’s my opinion on Sam. I have a feeling Ballard probably thinks the same, as he sees what the offense that was changed very little from last season has done under Shane’s leadership. It all depends on what they are willing to spend and how much they want to pay a backup. Recency bias says it’s worth a lot. But I could see Minshew’s value going up a lot due to the amount of injuries at the qb position this season. I don’t see us surviving another year with our starting qb out all but a few games. That’s the old Tom Moore saying “if #18 goes down, we are **… we don’t do **.” 

At some point, this organization is going to have to throw their full weight behind AR, and guys like Gardner Minshew are not going to be cheap like he is this year…