Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts vs Browns post game reactions

GoColts8818

Blame the refs - check. But, two other plays on the Browns last possession stand out to me.  All due to soft/bad coverage.

2nd and 9 with 1:34 to go.  16-yard completion with SIX defenders all several yards off the receiver when he catches the pass. 

3rd and 10 with 2:27 to.   30-yard completion down the sideline.  

Can't allow those.  Props to Walker, though.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Blame the refs - check. But, two other plays on the Browns last possession stand out to me.  All due to soft/bad coverage.

2nd and 9 with 1:34 to go.  16-yard completion with SIX defenders all several yards off the receiver when he catches the pass. 

3rd and 10 with 2:27 to.   30-yard completion down the sideline.  

Can't allow those.  Props to Walker, though.

Yeah it was bad but let’s not forget speed forced the turnover to end the game and refs blew it.

I’ll say this. I’m encouraged by our offense minus the turnovers. I think those will come down with time. I didn’t expect much this year and all I asked for was to see positive flashes of where we’re going. The future is bright, even if we have to first weather the hurricane that is this season. 

2 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Does anyone know the status of Juju Brents? Can’t afford to lose him for too long. Also hoping Big Grove’s suspension is reduced as other PED offenders have been such as Nickolas Petit Frere of the Titans from 6 games to 4. 

Quad injury is all we know

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Does anyone know the status of Juju Brents? Can’t afford to lose him for too long. Also hoping Big Grove’s suspension is reduced as other PED offenders have been such as Nickolas Petit Frere of the Titans from 6 games to 4. 

It was his quad. The way he was limping I am sure he is going to miss Sundays game. But we will see.

Just now, csmopar said:

I’ll say this. I’m encouraged by our offense minus the turnovers. I think those will come down with time. I didn’t expect much this year and all I asked for was to see positive flashes of where we’re going. The future is bright, even if we have to first weather the hurricane that is this season. 

I'm not convinced the TOs will come down because they are solely Minshew. They aren't random TOs by a number of offensive players, Minshew is turnover prone just like Matt Ryan (probably even more so). This is something that is going to hurt this offense tremendously as long as Minshew is the starting QB and as long as the opponent sacks us at all.

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'm not convinced the TOs will come down because they are solely Minshew. They aren't random TOs by a number of offensive players, Minshew is turnover prone just like Matt Ryan (probably even more so). This is something that is going to hurt this offense tremendously as long as Minshew is the starting QB and as long as the opponent sacks us at all.

The good news is the string of elite pass rushers is over.  Smith should be back soon too.

• Like 2

Not to sound like a genius but I have repeatedly said on here for many many years WHEN YOU PLAY TRIPLE VANILLA, RETREAT AND SURRENDER, SUPER SOFT ZONE DEFENSE YOU WILL LOSE EVERY TIME. Even PJ Walker proved that yesterday. But this was not a Gus Bradley thing, this was a Colt historical loss of over the past 50 years. Yes we should have absolutely annihilated the Brownies, but that's the way it is in the nfl. Gms change, coaches change, and players change, but the results remain the same! I am glad our talent level is so high that even with as many reserves as we have to play it still takes bad coaching and really bad officiating to beat us.

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

If that is the entire quote that does not seem like a happy Pittman.

He got 5 targets, which was 2nd on the team to Josh Downs (6). However, the ball was spread evenly for the most part compared to what he got with Richardson, so maybe he feels Minshew doesn't see him as the no1 target. Downs has started to take over that role.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, runthepost said:

He was too busy being clamped up by Ward to get open. Both his receptions came when Ward was out

I noticed they had Pittman do a lot of blocking and chipping yesterday, even on pass plays! Not sure what Steichen was thinking yesterday!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Haven't spoke to much on the game, couple random thoughts here or there.

1. Our offense looked really good against a team that had allowed the fewest yards(1002yds) in first 5 games since 1971(Colts 836yds). And 3rd lowest ever behind 71 Colts and 70 Vikings (945yds)

2. Gardner needs to have better pocket awareness and internal clock. Outside of that he played extremely well.

3. I like that Freeland has been able to gain some much needed experience and reps( 4 starts both Tackle spots), but hopefully we get Smith back this week.

4. Myles Garrett is a beast.

5. I thought our WRs did great. Downs and Pierce made most the plays early, then Pittman makes the big one later in the game. (Still wouldn't mind adding another guy to the fold)

6. Speaking of Pittman, that is the type of play he needs to be making on a much more consistent basis. Forgive me, but 1 play isn't changing my mind on him(call me a hater if you want). Just hitting his average. TD every 4 games. He was pretty much non existent the rest of the game. (1 catch in 4 other targets) did have a good block on one on Minshew's rush TDs.

7. Baker should of been cut when he got benched. Should of never been able to see the field for us again. He was getting abused before the questionable calls. Bottom line is he was out of position on both plays. 1st one shouldn't of been called, but he was out of position which made it possible for an official to think he saw something. The 2nd one in the back of the end zone was uncatchable, but Baker was holding WR all across the back line. I'm sure that happened before the ball was in the air. So it shouldn't of been defensive pass interference, it should of been defensive holding. Which wouldn't of put the ball at the 1 either, would of been 1/2 the distance. Anyway, that doesn't happen if the other call wasn't made. If Baker remains on this team, I will be thoroughly disappointed. Literally any option is better. Bring Speed up, he can't be worse.

8. I'm just along for the ride this year, I'm not letting the game get me to up or to down. Still think we can make some noise. Yesterday helped with that, despite the loss.

9. Taylor is rounding into game shape. Should be a fun rest of the season, regardless what happens.

10. TEs we're for sure non existent. 1 rec for -6yds. A whiff chip by Ogletree on Garrett on the play for the TD.

11. Rush defense was very good for missing Grover. Outside of that 69yd Ford TD, the Browns had 32 carries for 81yds. Under 3yds a carry. Ford had 10 more carries after that for 5yds.

On to the Saints.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Nate has to be click baiting here and taking this quote out of context.

Sounding a little upset he doesn't have an extension yet.

He isn't lying though. Outside of that play he didn't really do anything. Had 4 targets up till then.

Maybe he isn't a big part? Disappointing to hear him voice it to the media though.

• Like 2

Officiating was awful, but in hindsight the thin secondary was exposed well before the two ridiculous calls.

3rd and 10 completion of 30 yards to Moore was really unacceptable considering who was playing QB for them and what a 2 deep zone defense is designed to do.  

Don’t know what the defense was doing letting Peeples Jones be so wide open over the middle on the 17 yard gain a few plays later.

Ballard made the decision to bargain basement on the secondary, deal Gilmore in off-season and I would say it played a role in this game and possibly the LAR and/or Jax opening game losses this season.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Two_pound said:

I am glad our talent level is so high that even with as many reserves as we have to play it still takes bad coaching and really bad officiating to beat us.

How dare you acknowledge that there is talent on this team.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Gus needed to blitz more on the last drive. Speed and Moore have been so good blitzing. Leonard even almost had a sack today.

I feel like we blitzed a lot on 2nd down, which was working, then we gave up some plays on 3rd down.  Would have liked to seen more blitzes on 3rd down.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, w87r said:

How dare you acknowledge that there is talent on this team.

We need a few pieces, including the obvious consistent QB play, to put us over the hump to be a division contender year in and year out. Glad A J Brown is out of the division. Eagles have built a dream team with their OL, the tush push and those WRs and pass rushers with all the Georgia Bulldogs and draft picks they fleeced from other teams, us included. :( 

Didn’t want to create a new thread. PTSD @w87r lol. But I think coaches should do stuff like this more often. The louder the voices the more attention it may and deserves to get. The officiating yesterday in all honestly was at an all time low. Miami was playing two teams yesterday 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, adubb84 said:

Didn’t want to create a new thread. PTSD @w87r lol. But I think coaches should do stuff like this more often. The louder the voices the more attention it may and deserves to get. The officiating yesterday in all honestly was at an all time low. Miami was playing two teams yesterday 

Maybe if the media starts running with the questionable call story line, it’ll get traction but it’s not gonna to likely change anything . Really, I bet a penalty could be called in every football down played if they looked hard enough 

We are a good team.  We actually had our way with the supposedly best defense in the league.  Garrett’s playmaking slowed us down but we even overcame that.  I’m expecting the team to go on a winning streak now.  The worse part of the schedule is behind us.  I’m not happy about yesterday but it’s still early and I still think we can make the playoffs.  

• Like 5

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

We are a good team.  We actually had our way with the supposedly best defense in the league.  Garrett’s playmaking slowed us down but we even overcame that.  I’m expecting the team to go on a winning streak now.  The worse part of the schedule is behind us.  I’m not happy about yesterday but it’s still early and I still think we can make the playoffs.  

100% this ^^^^^

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, adubb84 said:

Good for him.  He will probably get fined but he took one for the team and the rest of the league.  I wish Shane had the courage to do the same thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, adubb84 said:

This isn't actually Mcdaniel btw, its a parody account.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is a fact in the nfl(very bad officiating). What is troubling about it is anyone with a brain can see the same small handful of teams get all the breaks 98% of the time. That picture of lane Johnson holding that Dolphin, yea how many times in their careers were Freeny and Mathis held like that? Way too many to count. It also appears in the nfl that it's same small handful of teams that get jobbed 98% of the time. Life in the nfl, but how can you blame them? They've built a mutibillion dollar business doing it this way for over 50 years. If it ain't broke, don't fix it(hahahahaha)!

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, adubb84 said:

Seems like a good thread topic. EDIT: NVM, parody account. 

He's absolutely right, glad he called them out. Take the fine and put them on blast.

When I was watching that play live, where Slay picked it off, it looked like PI too me. Replay seemed to back it up. Facemask seems pretty clear live too.

I'm not going to get into conspiracies or anything, the officiating is just bad.

If you don't hold them accountable, it makes it that much worse too.

Pretty sure I saw that crew do some crazy stuff in a game earlier this year 

14 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Wish you would keep this same energy in the game day threads.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I think they can come down, IF we can keep our starting OL on the field. The strip sack in the end zone, I believe doesn’t happen if it’s Smith instead of Freeland. The chip I thought was well done, Freeland just whiffed and I think Smith is smart enough to at least give more time to Minshew. 

• Like 2

I've always felt games are setup.   Games that don't matter much like this one.  Colts lost starting QB won't do much this season.  Im glad we lost though I prefer the Colts to hopefully get a Top 3 pick in next year draft.  We need to get Marvin Harrison JR or draft another QB the front office has any doubts that AR can't come back from throwing shoulder surgery.

56 minutes ago, SR711 said:

Officiating was awful, but in hindsight the thin secondary was exposed well before the two ridiculous calls.

3rd and 10 completion of 30 yards to Moore was really unacceptable considering who was playing QB for them and what a 2 deep zone defense is designed to do.  

Don’t know what the defense was doing letting Peeples Jones be so wide open over the middle on the 17 yard gain a few plays later.

Ballard made the decision to bargain basement on the secondary, deal Gilmore in off-season and I would say it played a role in this game and possibly the LAR and/or Jax opening game losses this season.

Don't let the fact that the Colts, due to injuries, had the backups to the backups playing CB get in your way.

• Like 1