Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Positivity Posts Here

John Hammonds

Zach Moss leads the AFC in rushing yards. Pretty cool.

Josh Downs is showing that he belongs. He's got hunger. 

Anthony Richardson gets plenty of time to rest and also watch and learn. 

We might end up with a top 10 pick, meaning we should be able to draft an immediate playmaker. 

• Like 1

1. Anthony Richardson played a lot better than most of the Debbie Downers expected. The Debbie's didn't think he would be anywhere near completing 60% of his passes. He was at 59.5%.

2. Anthony Richardson only had 2 Turnovers (1 INT, 1 Fumble), most of the Debbie's thought he would be a turnover machine because of his lack of experience in college.

3. Anthony Richardson was outplaying CJ Stroud in their only meeting before AR left the game.

4. Anthony Richardson had 4 Rushing TD's in 4 games!

5. Colts are 3-3, most of the Debbie's had us at 1-5 through 6 games. I know this by the way they were they were picking weekly on these threads.

6. Our schedule is favorable now and Mustache doesn't play another very good to great QB all year with the exception of Joe Burrow (Stroud is good but a rookie, far from great). As of now if one went by QBR like some like to do, Burrow is playing like Curtis Painter chuckling homer simpson GIF. This means we could very well 9 games if things go our way and get into the playoffs.

7. JT has the rust off now after 2 games and is due to have a huge game, lets how great the Browns defense really is when they go up against our run game? Advantage us IMO with Moss factored in.

By the way I used the word MOST for a reason. Using ALL would be inaccurate.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

1. Anthony Richardson played a lot better than most of the Debbie Downers expected. The Debbie's didn't think he would be anywhere near completing 60% of his passes. He was at 59.5%.

2. Anthony Richardson only had 2 Turnovers (1 INT, 1 Fumble), most of the Debbie's thought he would be a turnover machine because of his lack of experience in college.

3. Anthony Richardson was outplaying CJ Stroud in their only meeting before AR left the game.

3. Colts are 3-3, most of the Debbie's had us at 1-5 through 6 games. I know this by the way they were they were picking weekly on these threads.

4. Our schedule is favorable now and Mustache doesn't play another very good to great QB all year with the exception of Joe Burrow (Stroud is good but a rookie, far from great). As of now if one went by QBR like some like to do, Burrow is playing like Curtis Painter chuckling homer simpson GIF. This means we could very well 9 games if things go our way and get into the playoffs.

5. JT has the rust off now after 2 games and is due to have a huge game, lets how great the Browns defense really is when they go up against our run game? Advantage us IMO with Moss factored in.

By the way I used the word MOST for a reason. Using ALL would be inaccurate.

Rachel Dratch Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Like 1

I’m on the record calling for 9 wins this year. Sitting at 3-3 the boys are pretty close to on schedule. 

Josh Downs and Zack Moss have some dawg in them. Both are fun to watch!

AR was much better than I expected.

Oline play has been good

When Gus turns up the heat our D plays well

Jonathan Taylor in the fold for 3 (or maybe 4?) more years

Many rookies (Richardson, Downs, Brents, Freeland) making significant contributions. Another great draft

you get the point. Lots to be excited about as a Colts fan. For the shoe!!!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Hark said:

I’m on the record calling for 9 wins this year. Sitting at 3-3 the boys are pretty close to on schedule. 

Josh Downs and Zack Moss have some dawg in them. Both are fun to watch!

AR was much better than I expected.

Oline play has been good

When Gus turns up the heat our D plays well

Jonathan Taylor in the fold for 3 (or maybe 4?) more years

Many rookies (Richardson, Downs, Brents, Freeland) making significant contributions. Another great draft

you get the point. Lots to be excited about as a Colts fan. For the shoe!!!!

I said 8 before the season but I can see 9, if we win this week. :thmup: and I think we will.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

"What do we got on the spacecraft that's good?" -- Ed Harris, Apollo 13

In the midst of all of the disappointing things happening with the team, there are GOOD things to note, too!

1 - We're 3-3, and 2-2 in the division.  In other words, we're in the thick of it.  Did anyone truly predict this during the !@#$%$ show last season?

2 - We have the #10 offense.  14th in rushing, 12th in passing.  How bad was our offense last year?  Looks like Ballard scored by hiring Steichen.

3 - Zaire Franklin leads the league in tackles with 77.  And that's just after 6 games.

4 - The Offensive Line is playing well.  Remember how we were doubting Ryan Kelly?  And saying Will Fries didn't deserve to start?  And wondering if Bernard Raimann was getting up to speed or not.  Looks like they are.

This is the best thing for this team right now.  2 lower draftpick tackles getting it done on rookie contracts.  Playing good football.  One of the most surprising things I've seen in years in athletics is Kelly this year.  He's never been THIS good and he hasn't been any good in years.  

Line looks good with average guard play, good tackle play, and great center play. 

5 - JuJu Brents is up to the task.  He got thrown in the deep end, without the benefit of a preseason.  And he's got this.

6 - Michael Pittman has 406 yards after 6 games.  That's projecting to about 1200 yards for the year.  That's a good thing, yes?

7 - Zach Moss has 466 yards after 6 games.  He probably won't make 1000 yards, now that JT is back with the team.  But it's good, yes?

8 - JT is back with the team.  A lot of us, including me (including JT!!) thought that the relationship with the team was irretrievably broken.

9 - We have three DLine guys with 3 or more sacks after 6 games.  That projects to 9 to 12 sacks for the year.  For three different guys.  Definitely exceeding my expectations!

10 - Josh Downs has 276 yards through 6 games.  That's a projection of 750 yards for the year.  For a rookie slot receiver.  I'm down with that.

11 - Blake Freeland has had to start at both RT and LT already.  And he's not sucked.  Nobody expected he would have to do this, nor that he would play as well as he has.

Again, this is great. 

Yes, there are good things happening this year.  Might as well celebrate them too.

The Oline is the only thing I see that is positve without really working hard to look for postive things. 

EDIT:  The kicker is really good too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Forgot to add that to my OP list.

Adding Matt Gay was money well spent.  He's already won us one game.  Making a difference in others.

I am somewhat encouraged by Downs.  He looks like he might be decent.  Brents looks like a decent player. 

• Like 2

If we get Jeudy, I think our WR group can be damn good. Ogletree is coming along nicely. Downs/Jeudy/Pittman/Pierce could really open up the passing game and keep defenders from trying to stack so much at the line. 

With that said, everything will depend on AR being healthy and not having such bad luck with hits. He can only get better and better as time goes on. 

Matt Gay has been a godsend after all the bad kicking we’ve dealt with since AV. 

The oline has really turned it around from last year. 

Franklin and Speed have been wildly good, and as Steichen/Bradley said about Leonard, he won’t be normal until November. 

Brents has been a nice surprise. I feel like his game will improve more and more as time goes on. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

If we get Jeudy, I think our WR group can be damn good. Ogletree is coming along nicely. Downs/Jeudy/Pittman/Pierce could really open up the passing game and keep defenders from trying to stack so much at the line. 

With that said, everything will depend on AR being healthy and not having such bad luck with hits. He can only get better and better as time goes on. 

Matt Gay has been a godsend after all the bad kicking we’ve dealt with since AV. 

The oline has really turned it around from last year. 

Franklin and Speed have been wildly good, and as Steichen/Bradley said about Leonard, he won’t be normal until November. 

Brents has been a nice surprise. I feel like his game will improve more and more as time goes on. 

Our LBs aren't that good.  They are getting way too much praise here for the actual results.  They excel v. the run but are a terrible unit in pass coverage and that is the name of the game these days.

In the 80s, our LB crew would be top notch.  Here in the 20s, they are not that good. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Our LBs aren't that good.  They are getting way too much praise here for the actual results.  They excel v. the run but are a terrible unit in pass coverage and that is the name of the game these days.

In the 80s, our LB crew would be top notch.  Here in the 20s, they are not that good. 

Would that maybe have something to do with getting zero pressure on any QB 99% of the game? If your dline isn’t getting pressure, sacks or even hurrying up a QB, what LB will cover any WR or TE well enough to be “good”?

Pierce is young and learning the nuances of the game. He’s been bashed by a lot of fans and media, I think he’ll be fine going forward.

Tony Sparano is making a difference for the Oline.

Shane Steichen may be able to salvage the season

The 2023 draft is looking like a solid one.

Brady, Mahomes, Rogers and Hurts all sat their first years. I know Minshew is not Farve but can he be Alex Smith?

I like our schedule and I’m thinking 10-7 and playoffs. I know it’s tough to be optimistic after a loss and the difficult situations that have come up, so thanks for the thread! 

32 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Would that maybe have something to do with getting zero pressure on any QB 99% of the game? If your dline isn’t getting pressure, sacks or even hurrying up a QB, what LB will cover any WR or TE well enough to be “good”?

No not really it doesn't effect the grade.  It can effect the outcome of the play but the grader would compensate for bad pressure by looking at time in coverage. 

LBs are vital in all zone coverage and none of ours are good at it.  

Like a LB can get a plus grade on a play for which the guy in his zone catches a TD pass.  If a LB had good zone coverage, the play broke down and the QB scramble and makes a play to an improvising pass catcher, then he could still earn a plus grade for that play even when giving up a TD.

Grades don't rely on the team's outcome.  They are determined by individual contribution and responsility on each play. 

53 minutes ago, Nickster said:

In the 1920's they would dominate, I had too sorry lmao 

27 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

In the 1920's they would dominate, I had too sorry lmao 

Yeah that's funny.  Some of us were talking the other day about things "back in the 1900's" being the way young people would be thinking about our era.  

When do decades become the nickname for that century?

In the 2030s will it be the 30s or will the 30s still refer to the 1930s?

• Like 1

I believe there is the opportunity to take this time for Steichen/Ballard to focus on an offensive strategy that focuses on our strengths:  2 Top RB, An experienced QB, An above average OL, A stable of TE, and Josh Downs/Pittman.

It may take 10 games to figure it out but just imagine if we do, and next year we get AR back. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AustexColt said:

I believe there is the opportunity to take this time for Steichen/Ballard to focus on an offensive strategy that focuses on our strengths:  2 Top RB, An experienced QB, An above average OL, A stable of TE, and Josh Downs/Pittman.

It may take 10 games to figure it out but just imagine if we do, and next year we get AR back. 

Even though this is a lost season, it is a great time for Steichen to be able to learn to work with what he has and adapt on the fly. He should be able to avoid what we were last year.

Nice to see a positive thread. Thanks JH. I think we are on a positive course after some years of misfortune and some not so good coaching. I thing Ballard hit a homerun with Steichen and SS seems to have had success putting together a good staff. Really like our new OL coach.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, CR91 said:

I don't know. Just feels like this season is cursed.

I don't know, but the one thing we all were looking forward to was watching Richardson play. Now it's almost like 2022 all over again. Sadly, I admit, that I want a top 5 pick in the 2024 draft. 

3 hours ago, Peter Nova said:

I don't know, but the one thing we all were looking forward to was watching Richardson play. Now it's almost like 2022 all over again. Sadly, I admit, that I want a top 5 pick in the 2024 draft. 

This season was all about AR for me and I’ve gotta say I’ve soured a bit on this season. 

I want to win the Super Bowl AND have the number one overall pick in the draft each season, but at some point reality has to check us. 

We’re not a playoff contender, but we’re not a bottem 5 team either unless Minshew completely collapses. 

• Like 1

On 10/19/2023 at 7:53 PM, KB said:

Even though this is a lost season, it is a great time for Steichen to be able to learn to work with what he has and adapt on the fly. He should be able to avoid what we were last year.

I don't see it as a lost season. Not until we lose 9 games. We are 3-3, so I think it is a little early to pull the plug. There are a lot of teams in our boat that are 3-3/3-2 in the conference. I am sure fans of those teams think they can make the playoffs, at least I would hope so. This SB or bust mentality by many in here is nauseating because it is extremely tough to win a SB. This isn't the Peyton years, yes back then it was SB or bust and we won 1 so the job was completed. As good as the Jags are, they aren't winning the SB either, but their fans are enjoying the success they are having. They enjoy just when the team wins a game. That is the point I am at right now and hope for the best.

3 hours ago, Peter Nova said:

I don't think this is like 2022 at all. We are playing better this year in many areas, and I also think our Coach is better. As long as Mustache doesn't get injured we can still win 8 or 9 games. If Sam plays, we are screwed bigtime. I have seen enough of Sam to last me a lifetime. It is like watching Tolzien or Painter play watching him - same bad vibe.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't think this is like 2022 at all. We are playing better this year in many areas, and I also think our Coach is better. Aslong as Mustache doesn't get injured we can still win 8 or 9 games. If Sam plays, we are screwed bigtime. I have seen enough of Sam to last me a lifetime. It is like watching Tolzien or Painter play watching him - same bad vibe.

Appreciate the optimism, but I have not seen a Ballard roster that can win without a top QB, which Minshew is clearly not.  My focus will be watching the rookies development the rest of 2023.