Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Colts and star RB Jonathan Taylor have agreed to terms on a 3-year contract extension

ProblChld32

11 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Because it is against the rules to intentionally fake an injury for any reason in the NFL. Remember the big RB conference that took place before all of this started? And how one of the things they talked about was playing up injuries in order to get what they wanted? And then how the league threatened legal action over that?

It’s against the rules and it’s a bad faith tactic, especially how it was used in this situation. Don’t fake an injury to stay off the field to get a trade or a new contract. That’s dishonesty. That’s wrong on the basic human level before we add all the layers of legalities that make it an actionable offense. 

You cool with people lying to you to get what they want? Because that’s all this was. 

Maybe you let people get away with it, but most people don’t and they consider it wrong. Count me firmly in that camp. Don’t lie to me. I don’t lie to anyone. About anything. Ever. 

I’m excited to have him back. I’m glad this mess is all finally behind us and we’re going to get one of the best players this franchise has ever had back. 

But that doesn’t mean I’m going to look the other way and ignore the obvious truth that took place here. I’m not holding it against him, but I saw it, and I’m not afraid to call it what it was even if he, or anyone else is. 

yeah, i understand where you are coming from, but whats the difference between that and a player faking an injury to get a timeout on the field? happens all the time.

its a "lie" that is very subjective. you could never prove if he does or doesn't have pain in his ankle. 

3 hours ago, ShuteAt168 said:

Are you serious? JT has shown an attitude worth rewarding in the last month? Lol. 

First….  My comment was that it wasn’t Ballard’s decision alone.   Irsay heavily involved.   A decision this big is never Ballard alone.   

The Colts just signed him to 3/42 with 26+ guaranteed.   So they know him far better than the fan base.   You might be skeptical, but the Colts are a smart, well run franchise, and their decision would tell you they disagree with your view.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Your stance that Ballard and the Colts are in semi tank and rebuild mode just took a big hit. How do you want your crow served? Medium or well done?

Dog Bird GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos

Of course, my comment about semi-tank mode had absolutely zero to do with Taylor, but if it will make you happy to believe that I’m wrong, then I’m wrong.   

By the way, I’m here over 12 years, and I’ve said every year that I’d always rather be wrong if it means it’s better for the Colts, and I think signing JT to this deal is better for the Colts.   So I’m very happy with this signing.   

But to refresh your memory, our discussions about semi-tank had nothing to do with Taylor.   It had to do with the team making zero moves when the fans screamed for the Colts to sign a veteran guard, a corner, a safety, a tackle, or a RB or a OT.    That was our discussion point.  

So pop the champagne!   Enjoy the weekend.   Hopefully a big win tomorrow. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, AKB said:

yeah, i understand where you are coming from, but whats the difference between that and a player faking an injury to get a timeout on the field? happens all the time.

its a "lie" that is very subjective. you could never prove if he does or doesn't have pain in his ankle. 

It doesn’t happen all the time. The league made a hard rule against it, and they’re very proactive about enforcing it and fining players when it happens. The league has been very active about enforcing not faking injuries in a game. 

Like I said earlier, when they doubled back on the “injury away from the team” to the ankle it gave them a kernel of reasonable doubt to hide behind that the team couldn’t void his contract for because his ankle had in fact been injured.

But the timeline does not support the argument. At all. He was supposed to be healthy and fully recovered by the first of June. June. Two whole months before camp. Two. Whole. Months. 

if he showed up with an injury that had been lingering for two whole months longer than it was supposed to, why would he choose to force an extension?

“Yeah I know I’m hurt, and even though I was supposed to be healthy two whole months ago and I’m not, I’m still gonna need that 1500% pay increase.”

You mean to tell me this is what he did? This is about the only thing that would be a worse look than what actually happened. 

Furthermore, you mean to tell me that Ballard and Irsay just gave a guy who has had an ankle injury lingering for allegedly several more months than it should have almost 15 million a year annually?

My 76 year old grandmother healed from a hip replacement in less time than it took Taylor to heal from a sprained ankle. Come on. Quit letting him pull the Colts colored wool over your eyes. It doesn’t take a medical professional to smell something off here. 

Holdouts incur fines. Hefty fines, especially with what Taylor was being paid. So hefty, in fact, I don’t think he would have been able to afford them. Hiding behind a 6 month old injury was nothing more than a way to avoid getting fined while he held out to get what he wanted. 

I don’t know how much negotiating you do out in the real world, but negotiating anything with anyone you know is lying to you isn’t ideal. Hopefully he was honest with them behind closed doors, but this whole thing was not what it was presented to everyone outside the building as being. Not at all. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Worth mentioning they know more about their offense now than they did a few weeks ago too.  What we’ve seen are the big pass plays have followed effective running by Moss.  So I think that made the Colts feel more comfortable with extending Taylor because they need a good running back to make the offense work.  I also think they watched Moss’s runs and went he’s been good but man what would the offense be like if we had a back with the home run ability that Taylor gives you.

100 percent.    Well said.    

The idea of Taylor in the same backfield as Richardson has to be scary for any defense the Colts face.   Pick your poison. 

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Of course, my comment about semi-tank mode had absolutely zero to do with Taylor, but if it will make you happy to believe that I’m wrong, then I’m wrong.   

By the way, I’m here over 12 years, and I’ve said every year that I’d always rather be wrong if it means it’s better for the Colts, and I think signing JT to this deal is better for the Colts.   So I’m very happy with this signing.   

But to refresh your memory, our discussions about semi-tank had nothing to do with Taylor.   It had to do with the team making zero moves when the fans screamed for the Colts to sign a veteran guard, a corner, a safety, a tackle, or a RB or a OT.    That was our discussion point.  

So pop the champagne!   Enjoy the weekend.   Hopefully a big win tomorrow. 

Guard? Fries has improved and playing well ..Q is back.

Corner? They drafted good young talent (Flowers was also playing well before injury)

Safety? I'll give you that one but Cross is the X factor TBT

RB? Taylor and Moss may be best tandem in the league.

OT? Reinman and Smith are one of the best tandems in the league.

But...carry on:facepalm:

40 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

First….  My comment was that it wasn’t Ballard’s decision alone.   Irsay heavily involved.   A decision this big is never Ballard alone.   

The Colts just signed him to 3/42 with 26+ guaranteed.   So they know him far better than the fan base.   You might be skeptical, but the Colts are a smart, well run franchise, and their decision would tell you they disagree with your view.    

Smart and well run!!! What do u base that on? Not necessarily disagreeing just wondering how u can back that up. I just think they didn't have to do this. Taylor needed to come back and play hard. He is going into a contract year. Let's say he did come ba k and had  sensational year.  Then I would have sat down with him at the end of the year s d worked something out. This contract doesn't prote t them from injury. None of the league is doing what the  outs just did.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Guard? Fries has improved and playing well ..Q is back.

Corner? They drafted good young talent (Flowers was also playing well before injury)

Safety? I'll give you that one but Cross is the X factor TBT

RB? Taylor and Moss may be best tandem in the league.

OT? Reinman and Smith are one of the best tandems in the league.

But...carry on:facepalm:

The players the fans were calling for were before the start of the season.   No one knew Fries would be this good.   So you’re arguing after the fact.   

The call for a RB was when Taylor was holding out and Moss had a fractured wrist.   The Colts were very thin.  

Look, we’re all geniuses with the benefit of hindsight.   I’m guessing the moment Taylor gets hurt in the next three years, fans who are not happy with this decision (not saying you) will start screaming what a mistake this deal was.   It’s what fans do.  

By the way, my thought experiment about trading Smith for draft picks and also trading Kelly in 24 is gone just like that.   Poof!   Odds are overwhelming that’s not happening.   It was hugely unpopular here and soundly rejected.   I’m a big boy and that’s the market place of ideas.  You’re not going to win them all, and I lost that soundly.   And that’s fine.  

I think the Colts future is looking very bright today.   I hope most here view this as a good day.   

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Smart and well run!!! What do u base that on? Not necessarily disagreeing just wondering how u can back that up. I just think they didn't have to do this. Taylor needed to come back and play hard. He is going into a contract year. Let's say he did come ba k and had  sensational year.  Then I would have sat down with him at the end of the year s d worked something out. This contract doesn't prote t them from injury. None of the league is doing what the  outs just did.

The browns gave and older Nick Chubb 3y 36 million 2 years ago.   There aren't many young great backs.   Great players get paid. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

The browns gave and older Nick Chubb 3y 36 million 2 years ago.   There aren't many young great backs.   Great players get paid. 

And they were the last team. All the backs tis yest did not get extensions. I just don't get it. U let him play out and earn it. He was under contract and coming off injury. It is what it s and Ballard's second contracts have not turned out well , so let's hope this different.

10 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

but how can you definitively say he was gonna come back and play without the relationship improving and the contract working out

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

And they were the last team. All the backs tis yest did not get extensions. I just don't get it. U let him play out and earn it. He was under contract and coming off injury. It is what it s and Ballard's second contracts have not turned out well , so let's hope this different.

How are the backs that didn't get paid doing this year?

I'm sick of listening or reading anything from all of the actors in this drama. They're all wallowing in a giant crock of you know what. Just get on the field JT and try and prove that you're worth the money and show everyone how, ahem, "proud you are to be a Colt."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

How are the backs that didn't get paid doing this year?

Barkley is hurt, Jacobs not playing ip to last year and frustrated. Pollard doing well. To me it comes down to the fact that they didn't have to do this and shouldn't have. That's my option, but u r right. This is an organization below 500 under Ballard and an owner who hired a guy off ESPN. So u r right. They know way more than me and have the stuff to prove it. Plus u r forgetting this. It now opens the door foe other players to pull this same act. Dangerous precident. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Longevity.  For the last 25 years I believe the Colts are the 4th winningest franchise in the NFL.   And for a small market franchise, I think that says a lot.   And it’s more than having Manning and Luck. 

The Colts have struggled under Ballard because they didn’t get the QB position right.   A different one ever year since 2017 is the number one problem.   And that’s because the Colts were in a win-now mode with a window of opportunity and a young roster.  

Now the Colts are doing a re-set with a new young HC and a super talented, but raw and inexperienced QB.   This may accelerate the re-tooling.  That said, AR has to continue to improve.  He has to get better every year.   Manning did.  Luck did.   Richardson will have to as well.  

If you have questions or disagreements, I’m happy to respond. 

Its a long year and there is alot to look forward to. Weve got alot of things going our way, even if we dont win a superbowl. Colts took a couple (or more) huge steps forward. Coaching goes along way and we gotta GREAT ONE. Nothing would completely shock me at this point. Go Colts

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Longevity.  For the last 25 years I believe the Colts are the 4th winningest franchise in the NFL.   And for a small market franchise, I think that says a lot.   And it’s more than having Manning and Luck. 

The Colts have struggled under Ballard because they didn’t get the QB position right.   A different one ever year since 2017 is the number one problem.   And that’s because the Colts were in a win-now mode with a window of opportunity and a young roster.  

Now the Colts are doing a re-set with a new young HC and a super talented, but raw and inexperienced QB.   This may accelerate the re-tooling.  That said, AR has to continue to improve.  He has to get better every year.   Manning did.  Luck did.  
Richardson will have to as well.  

If you have questions or disagreements, I’m happy to respond. 

U can owe a lot of that success to 2 generational qbs. I am talking bout here and now. U can argue all u want and we can agree to disagree. Icjuat this it is q move they didn't need to make till the end of the season. They had this season plus the franchise tag. It wasn't needed.

22 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

But can your grandma hit the b gap and take it 80 yards to the house?

Also,  lying occurs in almost all negotiations in one form or another.   

We’d have to talk her out of trying. Vigorously. 

There’s a major difference between, say, fudging some numbers to shore up a deal and sitting across the table from someone and telling them a bold faced lie that everyone in the room isn’t even remotely true. 

Major difference. 

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I was close, I was saying for the last 2 months we should and probably would sign him for 3 years for 39 Mill, with 25 Mill guaranteed. He actually got 3 years for 42 mill, 26.5 guaranteed. I never thought he would be traded either. Now we can take care of business and put this silly distraction behind us. The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)

You wouldve won most price is right showcase showdowns. Congrats :)

1 hour ago, John Waylon said:

Nice try chief, but you fail again. 

He’s one of my favorite players. I have expressed nothing but my desire for this situation to be remedied immediately and my disappointment in both sides for letting it play out like this from the start. Never once said, or even insinuated I didn’t want him here. 

But since you’re such a know it all genius go find my posts where I say I don’t like him being here. Do you need me to hold your hand and give you a tutorial on how to use the search feature, or do you think you can be a big boy and figure it out yourself? It’s not difficult, and it sure would throw egg on my face if you can produce it like you said. 

Don’t make a claim you can’t back up because I’ll call you on it 10 times out of 10. Now we’re all patiently waiting on you to prove I say what you indicate I have. Be a real shame if you failed at that, too.  

All of that said, however, he being one of my favorite players doesn’t mean I’m just open my mouth and look the other way while he pisses into it. He faked an injury to engineer a holdout from camp til today. Full stop. It is what it is.

I’ll call a spade a spade, even on my favorite player, unlike some people eager to speak out of turn and make a fool of themselves. 

And yes, I’m talking about you there because, you know, the shoe fits. I’ve no doubt you need the clarification. 

And you know for certain he was faking an injure? You have a great deal of inside info? When did I speak out of turn? And what claim did I make that I can't back up?Did I state that you dislike JT? What clarification do I need ?

53 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

in hindsight, Ballard hit on all of those but two:

corners:  yeah, we wanted a vet corner but so far the young guns look good.  Despite them being young the corners have been solid, not great, but solid.  Outside of baker.

safety:  he failed on this one.  He bet that Thomas would repeat hit good play from last year and Blackmon would return to form.  So far neither has happened.  

tackle:  Raimann showed promise last year and with a full offseason workout and bulking they thought he would be good, and he has been.  Smith, he’s been up and down but that’s better than having a bad tackle.  And he’s been one of highest rated lineman this year, don’t know how but he is lol

runningback:  I guess they were going to wait JT out and it happened.  We just got a dynamic player for nothing but what he’s worth

guard:  similar to Raimann, they banked on fries and so far I’d say it’s been ok.  Not great but ok.  

none of these moves required big money.  We don’t need to make splashes unless it’s for a bonafide player.  Also, we didn’t know what AR would be his first year or after that.  We could’ve spent a lot of money on a QB who wasn’t going to work out (and that’s still a possibility).  Yeah, some of us (including me) wanted Ballard to do some.  But so far he’s mostly proven us wrong.  Gotta give him credit when it’s due

9 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

And you know for certain he was faking an injure? You have a great deal of inside info? When did I speak out of turn? And what claim did I make that I can't back up?Did I state that you dislike JT? What clarification do I need ?

Common sense tells us his injury wasn’t what kept him out of camp. Try it some time, you might be surprised. 

A sprained ankle does not linger for 9 * months.

And if it does, you do not give that person 15 million dollars a year to run around on it because that’s a big long row of red flags. Do you go to a car dealership and buy the one with a rod knocking and smoke coming out from under the hood? 

I know you’re not the swiftest but please at least try to keep up. Just try. Even a little bit. 

You quoted me and said “he’s here whether I like it or not”. 

Where did I say I didn’t like it? Where did I say, or even give the impression I didn’t want him here? 

I didn’t. 

You crawled out of your hole to bring that to the table, not me. That’s how you spoke out of term. You just assumed how I think, despite the fact that there’s a clearly established history of…

Wait for it…

…..

Me saying the 100% exact opposite. 

12 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

Chappell, who is keyed into the Colts, said the Colts medical staff said he was cleared to play.  Taylor said  he was injured so that he could paid while on the PUP. Essentially holding out and still getting paid.  Smart move by Taylor, but yes he lied and for that, I would have been done with him. That's just me and Ballard chirps on about character all the time

6 hours ago, NFLfan said:

They are criticized if they do and they are criticized if they don't. Ballard is right to do whatever he believes fits the team because regardless of the move, fans will find a way to find fault with a move.

JT to all:

Im Back GIF

Imo, too many fans worry about money that isn't theirs over acquiring/keeping talent and playmakers. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Imo, too many fans worry about money that isn't theirs over acquiring/keeping talent and playmakers. 

I only worry about the money if it is preventing my team from building a strong team. I don't like giving one player 15%+ of the salary cap.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Chappell, who is keyed into the Colts, said the Colts medical staff said he was cleared to play.  Taylor said  he was injured so that he could paid while on the PUP. Essentially holding out and still getting paid.  Smart move by Taylor, but yes he lied and for that, I would have been done with him. That's just me and Ballard chirps on about character all the time

I don’t know why people keep trying to let him hide behind the injury. Ballard said in his camp opening presser “he’s healthy and he won’t start camp on the PUP.” That’s probably even close to a direct, word-for-word quote.  

Why would Ballard go out there and say that only to turn around and look silly just 5 hours later when Taylor was in fact placed on the PUP? How would that serve Ballard in any way other than making him look like an *? He didn’t say that stuff to open camp without being confident in it. He didn’t say that stuff unless it had been indicated to him. 

And then it was the “injury away from the team” for a few hours until it was pointed out that such a thing would allow the Colts to void his contract on the year and then suddenly, very conveniently, it was the ankle again. 

Hmmmmmm yeah, what can we glean from that? We don’t need to give inspector Clouseau a call to figure out what went on here, but it’s not hard to see why the people who think he was injured have no shot at making the rank of detective. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

We’d have to talk her out of trying. Vigorously. 

There’s a major difference between, say, fudging some numbers to shore up a deal and sitting across the table from someone and telling them a bold faced lie that everyone in the room isn’t even remotely true. 

Major difference. 

Like when mega companies come to the negotiating table and the CEO who has gotten a raise every year tells the union they can't afford to give the workers a raise.   Or the union telling the ceo our members need a 40 percent raise to afford to live?

Lying happens in all negotiations

10 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Gregg Doyel

Jonathan Taylor & his agent destroyed Colts but all is forgiven, season has new hope

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2023/10/07/jonathan-taylor-gets-42-million-contract-extension-as-colts-blink/71100644007/

Absolutely. Colts look like clowns. First we go from Ballard saying u pay great players and eluding to  the fact they will pay Taylor before the season. They changed their tune, saying they had  crappy season and they were assessing everyone. Now they make him the 3rd highest paid rb after he lied and they had to put hi on thr PuP. Ballard always talks about charcter. People wonder why I am critical of Ballard. He seems all over the place and unable to make decisions. This appears to be the reason he drafts poorly.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1