Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Colts and star RB Jonathan Taylor have agreed to terms on a 3-year contract extension

ProblChld32

3 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I do think Ballard was feeling some  heat

They said they wanted to pay him when the time was right.  I think they wanted to wait until the off season but compromised and did it now.  This makes the drama go away and the 3 year 14 million average is high but not outrageous.

It may have been smart to solve this now rather than just let the drama contiune

2 hours ago, John Waylon said:

He was not still injured. The day training camp opened Ballard said that he was healthy and that there would be no need to put him on the PUP. He had surgery in March with a recovery time of 8 weeks. 8 weeks from March is June. If he was still recovering at the first of September he should probably be looking for a different line of work. 

He hid behind the “injury” to engineer this holdout because it gave him 4 extra weeks to entrench himself without facing any fines for doing so. 

💯

why wouldn't he use every tool available to him? I don't hold this against him. Did the agent mislead him? sure. the team has a bevy of tools to use against a player, and pain is a very subjective topic. I'm sure every NFL player suits up with some level of pain in some joint. with that being said, it's obvious, but are we going to hold it against him? I'm not, personally. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Superman said:

I wish we could be okay with two parties changing their minds and meeting in the middle. 

JT has essentially been refusing to participate with the team on the field. He requested a trade, and his agent all but said he was out the door. This week, he came in, apparently passed a physical, practiced with the team, and talked to the media (even though that presser was a farce). 

The Colts have been telling us that the team wanted to keep JT, but they weren't ready to agree to an extension. Maybe during the season, but we want to see how things go with the new coach and QB, and determine how JT would fit. Once JT came in and gave a little, the Colts moved up their timeline somewhat.

And now, with both sides making some concessions, they have what both sides wanted all along -- a new contract, and JT on the field. He exercised his leverage, which wasn't much, and he was pretty much out of rope. The Colts could have continued to extract every ounce out of him, but they wanted to get this over with. And now, apparently, it is. 

I get that this is what both parties likely wanted as the end result.

But, I for one, was always on board with the Colts approach of wanting to see him on the field, in the new system, with the new coaches. He hadn't practiced in nearly 300 days before this thursday. The Colts approach was 100% reasonable and logical. This seems like they capitulated and it sends a really bad signal to players about how they should approach contract negatiations with the Colts going forward.

• Like 1

@Superman can we change the title? I really don’t think this qualifies as massive.  

Just now, NFLfan said:

Did you think JT would not be back?

Yeah he did

7 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

I've never been happier to eat a bigger plate of crow in my life!

(pass the barbeque sauce)

Gotta eat it raw bud. Haha

Just now, Solid84 said:

I get that this is what both parties likely wanted as the end result.

But, I for one, was always on board with the Colts approach of wanting to see him on the field, in the new system, with the new coaches. He hadn't practiced in nearly 300 days before this thursday. The Colts approach was 100% reasonable and logical. This seems like they capitulated and it sends a really bad signal to players about how they should approach contract negatiations with the Colts going forward.

They did capitulate. That's obvious. And I'm not thrilled about it, for that same reason.

But I don't think it's typical for players to be coming off a surgery, on a team with a new HC and QB, entering their contract season. And I don't think players would be smart to try to fake injury moving forward, given the NFL's grievance, or the potential use of the NFI designation.

I also think, despite the short memories of the media and some fans, the Colts have an established track record of paying their best players. So the playbook is already set with the Colts. Play well, they'll pay you. And if they don't, then hold out and see how it goes. As I've been saying all along, contract disputes are a part of the process, even though it's rare that they happen with the Colts. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Superman said:

I wish we could be okay with two parties changing their minds and meeting in the middle. 

Oh, I'm OK with it. I just think it makes Ballard look like a fool and I will keep that in mind every time he talks in the future. And the players of this team nearing an extensionw will keep it in their minds too, I bet.

29 minutes ago, Superman said:

JT has essentially been refusing to participate with the team on the field. He requested a trade, and his agent all but said he was out the door. This week, he came in, apparently passed a physical, practiced with the team, and talked to the media (even though that presser was a farce). 

The Colts have been telling us that the team wanted to keep JT, but they weren't ready to agree to an extension. Maybe during the season, but we want to see how things go with the new coach and QB, and determine how JT would fit. Once JT came in and gave a little, the Colts moved up their timeline somewhat.

And now, with both sides making some concessions, they have what both sides wanted all along -- a new contract, and JT on the field. He exercised his leverage, which wasn't much, and he was pretty much out of rope. The Colts could have continued to extract every ounce out of him, but they wanted to get this over with. And now, apparently, it is. 

Every single reason Ballard has stated for not extending him(yet)...  every single one... is still valid and nothing has changed(well maybe except for him passing a physical - still doesn't answer how he will look after that injury, how he will look with the new coach and in new system, still rewards a player after 4 win season(I thought this was a nonsense reason but it's a reason Ballard gave) )... 

For the record - right now I'm more sympathetic with Taylor than I am with Ballard, and this was the complete opposite way before today. Do you know why? Because if all it took for them to give Taylor a contract was for JT to be engaged and pass a physical, I have NO FREAKING IDEA what the last 4 months were about... from Colts' side!!! How do you allow it to get to that point if all you needed was for him to pass a physical? How do you not communicate that with him and his reps in a way that smooths things over and there is no distraction and missed games while you work on the details of that contract? And it completely validates everything Taylor has been doing. It just shows that all the reasons Ballard was giving were flimsy nonsense reasons. If we were this close to offering him contract, the last 4 months should not have happened at all. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Buckner is one of those guys that’s going to be as hard to replace as a QB. You need a very high draft pick.  Hopefully they can keep Buckner here the rest of his career.

I would like to keep Pinter too. Low money he does play good back up at C, and good 6th lineman. I would resign Buck, but slightly lower to finish his career here.

• Like 1

• Superman changed the title to The Colts and star RB Jonathan Taylor have agreed to terms on a 3-year contract extension
4 minutes ago, Superman said:

They did capitulate. That's obvious. And I'm not thrilled about it, for that same reason.

But I don't think it's typical for players to be coming off a surgery, on a team with a new HC and QB, entering their contract season. And I don't think players would be smart to try to fake injury moving forward, given the NFL's grievance, or the potential use of the NFI designation.

I also think, despite the short memories of the media and some fans, the Colts have an established track record of paying their best players. So the playbook is already set with the Colts. Play well, they'll pay you. And if they don't, then hold out and see how it goes. As I've been saying all along, contract disputes are a part of the process, even though it's rare that they happen with the Colts. 

i think it really boils down to bad advice from an agent. 

3 minutes ago, Matabix said:

I would like to keep Pinter too. Low money he does play good back up at C, and good 6th lineman. I would resign Buck, but slightly lower to finish his career here.

i like pinter as a backup center. but we gotta see if he can come back physically after the injury

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AKB said:

i think it really boils down to bad advice from an agent. 

i like pinter as a backup center. but we gotta see if he can come back physically after the injury

I'm willing to bet stronger, with all the rehab. Remember how Luck looked, and Leonard when he returned this summer. Ripped. It's his lower body I'm concerned with.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stitches said:

Oh, I'm OK with it. I just think it makes Ballard look like a fool and I will keep that in mind every time he talks in the future. 

Every single reason Ballard has stated for not extending him(yet)...  every single one... is still valid and nothing has changed(well maybe except for him passing a physical - still doesn't answer how he will look after that injury, how he will look with the new coach and in new system, still rewards a player after 4 win season(I thought this was a nonsense reason but it's a reason Ballard gave) )... 

For the record - right now I'm more sympathetic with Taylor than I am with Ballard, and this was the complete opposite way before today. Do you know why? Because if all it took for them to give Taylor a contract was for JT to be engaged and pass a physical, I have NO FREAKING IDEA what the last 4 months were about... from Colts' side!!! How do you allow it to get to that point if all you needed was for him to pass a physical? How do you not communicate that with him and his reps in a way that smooths things over and there is no distraction and missed games while you work on the details of that contract? And it completely validates everything Taylor has been doing. It just shows that all the reasons Ballard was giving were flimsy nonsense reasons. If we were this close to offering him contract, the last 4 months should not have happened at all. 

maybe the 2-2 start, plus shane's input of wanting taylor was enough?

plus 3 years isn't that long of a contract, albeit towards the upper end for RBs

Just now, Matabix said:

I'm willing to bet stronger, with all the rehab. Remember how Luck looked, and Leonard when he returned this summer. Ripped. It's his lower body I'm concerned with.

i personally think leonard hasn't looked good tbh.. 

31 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Here's what I think. I don't agree at all with the extension. It smells like Leonard and Nelson all over again.  Signing players to an extension when u didn't have to. Taylor won  this battle. He sat out and took a chance that the Colts would miss him, which I think they did. Who knows, with him in the line up, they could be 5 and 0. I think this move is more to protect Richardson. Getting hurt in back to back games,, I believe, scared the hell out of the Colts. If they have a solid run game, it will open up the passing game. I do think Ballard was feeling some  heat. They are 2 and 2 and Titans coming to town. They haven't won a home game in 7 tries and thr Titans own  them. I am not sure Ballard survives if this team is picking high in the draft again. So when everyone, including me, said Taylor had no leverage, we were wrong. Taylor is brilliant and he may have mapped this all out in his head. Good for him and he got what he wanted.

Ballard will survive regardless of where the Colts draft. Because of AR being so raw, he will be given a pass, at least for another year

15 minutes ago, stitches said:

Oh, I'm OK with it. I just think it makes Ballard look like a fool and I will keep that in mind every time he talks in the future. 

I feel like you're not appreciating the "changed their minds" part of this.

All of what you're saying is about how nothing has changed, and the Colts could have done this months ago, etc. And I'm not 100% in agreement with you there. But even if that's true, my point is that the Colts changed their mind. It doesn't mean the reasons Ballard gave were flimsy or nonsense. It means the team decided they were comfortable extended Taylor before he's played a game. 

I'd also like to remind you that there was at least a week and a half of trade discussion, and during that discussion it could have become apparent to JT and his agent that he can't just force his way to another team, and then name his price. We don't know if JT was expecting a record setting contract, and lowered his asking price. We don't know if his side was waiting for the Dolphins to come through with a big offer, and then after realizing the Dolphins don't need him, decided to come back to the Colts with clearer heads (and btw, I think this is definitely a factor). We don't know if the Colts would have traded him if they got an amazing offer. Both sides gained a lot of information over the last four months.

I don't think this invalidates anything Ballard said or did. I think he played the situation well all along, and would have had the leverage to continue waiting JT out if he wanted. I think the Colts could have publicly called JT and his side out over the injury ploy, and instead they left it alone, while the league took that fight to the NFLPA. I think Ballard meant it when he said he valued and wanted to keep JT, wouldn't let him walk out the door for nothing, and was open to considering an extension during the season. And I think he meant it when he said they wanted to see what the team would look like with the new circumstances; there's no question about player fit (never was), and now that JT has passed a physical and practiced with the team, obviously the injury concerns are greatly lessened.

And ultimately, I think Ballard and Irsay simply decided that they were okay with this compromise, and that's okay IMO.

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The Colts know much more about Taylor’s health and attitude than they did a month or two ago. 

And a decision this big is NOT Ballard’s alone.   This was done with full support of Irsay.   

Your stance that Ballard and the Colts are in semi tank and rebuild mode just took a big hit. How do you want your crow served? Medium or well done?

Dog Bird GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos

40 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

There is about to be so many more wide open running lanes and wide open pass catchers. The month of Oct is going to be fun. Hopefully the defense doesn’t screw this up.

I like your optimism! and I hope you are right about the running lanes and open pass catchers. 

• Like 1

Just now, 1959Colts said:

I like your optimism! and I hope you are right about the running lanes and open pass catchers. 

Personally, I think the only thing it changes about the offense is we have a RB who can break the defense any time he touches the ball. 

I don't think defenses change how they play the run based on who the RB is, and I think the analytics have shown that. I think the biggest factors are situation and personnel/formation. If the offense comes out in heavy personnel with the QB under center, the defense is going to stack the box and key on the run. You don't need a game breaking RB for play action to work. If the offense is in 11 personnel, the defense is probably going to play nickel and respect the pass (unless the QB sucks). Having JT isn't going to make teams stay in base or put 8 in the box, unless the offense shows run.

Same thing for the option game. They play their keys, it doesn't matter who the back is. 

What changes is that, if JT has the ball, he can turn a modest gain into a huge play, whereas none of our other backs have that capability. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Personally, I think the only thing it changes about the offense is we have a RB who can break the defense any time he touches the ball. 

I don't think defenses change how they play the run based on who the RB is, and I think the analytics have shown that. I think the biggest factors are situation and personnel/formation. If the offense comes out in heavy personnel with the QB under center, the defense is going to stack the box and key on the run. You don't need a game breaking RB for play action to work. If the offense is in 11 personnel, the defense is probably going to play nickel and respect the pass (unless the QB sucks). Having JT isn't going to make teams stay in base or put 8 in the box, unless the offense shows run.

Same thing for the option game. They play their keys, it doesn't matter who the back is. 

What changes is that, if JT has the ball, he can turn a modest gain into a huge play, whereas none of our other backs have that capability. 

the one thing JT has over Moss is speed, by a gap. 

the pause the defense has on the read option, will give JT an advantage it might not necessarily give to Moss in the same way. 

13 minutes ago, Superman said:

I feel like you're not appreciating the "changed their minds" part of this.

All of what you're saying is about how nothing has changed, and the Colts could have done this months ago, etc. And I'm not 100% in agreement with you there. But even if that's true, my point is that the Colts changed their mind. It doesn't mean the reasons Ballard gave were flimsy or nonsense. It means the team decided they were comfortable extended Taylor before he's played a game. 

I'd also like to remind you that there was at least a week and a half of trade discussion, and during that discussion it could have become apparent to JT and his agent that he can't just force his way to another team, and then name his price. We don't know if JT was expecting a record setting contract, and lowered his asking price. We don't know if his side was waiting for the Dolphins to come through with a big offer, and then after realizing the Dolphins don't need him, decided to come back to the Colts with clearer heads (and btw, I think this is definitely a factor). We don't know if the Colts would have traded him if they got an amazing offer. Both sides gained a lot of information over the last four months.

I don't think this invalidates anything Ballard said or did. I think he played the situation well all along, and would have had the leverage to continue waiting JT out if he wanted. I think the Colts could have publicly called JT and his side out over the injury ploy, and instead they left it alone, while the league took that fight to the NFLPA. I think Ballard meant it when he said he valued and wanted to keep JT, wouldn't let him walk out the door for nothing, and was open to considering an extension during the season. And I think he meant it when he said they wanted to see what the team would look like with the new circumstances; there's no question about player fit (never was), and now that JT has passed a physical and practiced with the team, obviously the injury concerns are greatly lessened.

And ultimately, I think Ballard and Irsay simply decided that they were okay with this compromise, and that's okay IMO.

I just don't think you create that much of a mess if that "change of mind" was so easily achieved. Because nothing has really changed since July. If they were that close to offering him a contract... if the plan all along was to offer him a contract, this shouldn't have become this toxic and confrontational. 

I just hope he's truly healthy and he hasn't lost anything, because the experience we have with big Ballard extensions coming off injuries is kind of scary.... 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Superman said:

We should see soon enough, what difference Taylor will make? AR5 has given the running game some life...

but I do not expect to see any gaping holes for Taylor to run through, or any of our WRs to be running wide open.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Safeties are not going to be able to stay deep because of Taylor’s home run ability. Moss has played well but isn’t a home run ability rusher. Do teams really only had to worry about AR. Now with Taylor’s home run threat they can’t stay deep. Pierce and Pittman should really benefit from this. Then imagine how confused teams will be trying to figure out who is rushing the ball. Richardson has already been good at disguising it. It might take a few weeks but we will get there.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Safeties are not going to be able to stay deep because of Taylor’s home run ability. Moss has played well but isn’t a home run ability rusher. Do teams really only had to worry about AR. Now with Taylor’s home run threat they can’t stay deep. Pierce and Pittman should really benefit from this. Then imagine how confused teams will be trying to figure out who is rushing the ball. Richardson has already been good at disguising it.

I get it... and like I said, I hope you are right.

but it just seems, it's been so long, with this line, that I really can't remember, what a hole to run thru looks like, or a Colts receiver being wide open.

..and I also get that the defense might screw it up. lol

3 hours ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

Wow!

The #Colts and star RB Jonathan Taylor have agreed to terms on a massive 3-year, $42M extension, locking him in at the top of the RB market and mending fences after a tumultuous period. $26.5M guaranteed.

https://x.com/rapsheet/status/1710691873759621438?s=61&t=pY1uS5n6JgnikELv7qQZPQ

I’m just happy I don’t have to stick my Taylor jersey in the bottom of my drawer…with my #12 Luck jersey!!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, stitches said:

I just don't think you create that much of a mess if that "change of mind" was so easily achieved. Because nothing has really changed since July. If they were that close to offering him a contract... if the plan all along was to offer him a contract, this shouldn't have become this toxic and confrontational. 

I just hope he's truly healthy and he hasn't lost anything, because the experience we have with big Ballard extensions coming off injuries is kind of scary.... 

I think the trade discussions could have had a significant impact on JT's stance.

Agreed on the history of big extensions with injured players. My hope is that there wasn't much to the injury to begin with.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

I get it... and like I said, I hope you are right.

but it just seems, it's been so long, with this line, that I really can't remember, what a hole to run thru looks like, or a Colts receiver being wide open.

..and I also get that the defense might screw it up. lol

The Oline has been pretty good getting moss room. This probably will take a few games it won’t be instant. At least I don’t think so.

59 minutes ago, stitches said:

Oh, I'm OK with it. I just think it makes Ballard look like a fool and I will keep that in mind every time he talks in the future. And the players of this team nearing an extensionw will keep it in their minds too, I bet.

Again you have no idea when Taylor was open to being engaged. None , nada zilch. 

Ballard did say back in August that he doesn’t give up on relationships just because of differing opinions. He’s shown to be a man of his word in that regard.

I honestly haven’t found any statements from him personally about wanting to wait on JT to prove his health before paying him. That was speculation from the media it seems.

I get those being upset in a way. I also get those who are happy it’s over with. As a fan of the team I’m very glad our top weapon is back. If we start winning some games in the coming weeks it will heal the wounds more. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Safeties are not going to be able to stay deep because of Taylor’s home run ability. Moss has played well but isn’t a home run ability rusher. Do teams really only had to worry about AR. Now with Taylor’s home run threat they can’t stay deep. Pierce and Pittman should really benefit from this. Then imagine how confused teams will be trying to figure out who is rushing the ball. Richardson has already been good at disguising it. It might take a few weeks but we will get there.

Pierce more than anyone. I think we average at least 6 more points a game now with JT in the lineup. Our defense is relishing right now.

3 hours ago, hoosierhawk said:

Give it up. He's a Colt whether you like it or not. 

Nice try chief, but you fail again. 

He’s one of my favorite players. I have expressed nothing but my desire for this situation to be remedied immediately and my disappointment in both sides for letting it play out like this from the start. Never once said, or even insinuated I didn’t want him here. 

But since you’re such a know it all genius go find my posts where I say I don’t like him being here. Do you need me to hold your hand and give you a tutorial on how to use the search feature, or do you think you can be a big boy and figure it out yourself? It’s not difficult, and it sure would throw egg on my face if you can produce it like you said. 

Don’t make a claim you can’t back up because I’ll call you on it 10 times out of 10. Now we’re all patiently waiting on you to prove I say what you indicate I have. Be a real shame if you failed at that, too.  

All of that said, however, he being one of my favorite players doesn’t mean I’m just open my mouth and look the other way while he pisses into it. He faked an injury to engineer a holdout from camp til today. Full stop. It is what it is.

I’ll call a spade a spade, even on my favorite player, unlike some people eager to speak out of turn and make a fool of themselves. 

And yes, I’m talking about you there because, you know, the shoe fits. I’ve no doubt you need the clarification. 

15 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Ballard did say back in August that he doesn’t give up on relationships just because of differing opinions. He’s shown to be a man of his word in that regard.

I honestly haven’t found any statements from him personally about wanting to wait on JT to prove his health before paying him. That was speculation from the media it seems.

I get those being upset in a way. I also get those who are happy it’s over with. As a fan of the team I’m very glad our top weapon is back. If we start winning some games in the coming weeks it will heal the wounds more. 

I agree with you. The only reason someone should be upset with the extension is that it could have been done earlier and the Colts may have won all their games with JT at RB.

Otherwise, what is there to be upset about?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superman said:

One thing I'd like to mention, that I'm sure everyone is aware of, is that RBs have the shortest shelf life on offense because of all the hits they take.  It makes sense for them to get paid more, IMHO.  I'm just glad we can finally move on from this situation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AKB said:

why wouldn't he use every tool available to him? I don't hold this against him. Did the agent mislead him? sure. the team has a bevy of tools to use against a player, and pain is a very subjective topic. I'm sure every NFL player suits up with some level of pain in some joint. with that being said, it's obvious, but are we going to hold it against him? I'm not, personally. 

Because it is against the rules to intentionally fake an injury for any reason in the NFL. Remember the big RB conference that took place before all of this started? And how one of the things they talked about was playing up injuries in order to get what they wanted? And then how the league threatened legal action over that?

It’s against the rules and it’s a bad faith tactic, especially how it was used in this situation. Don’t fake an injury to stay off the field to get a trade or a new contract. That’s dishonesty. That’s wrong on the basic human level before we add all the layers of legalities that make it an actionable offense. 

You cool with people lying to you to get what they want? Because that’s all this was. 

Maybe you let people get away with it, but most people don’t and they consider it wrong. Count me firmly in that camp. Don’t lie to me. I don’t lie to anyone. About anything. Ever. 

I’m excited to have him back. I’m glad this mess is all finally behind us and we’re going to get one of the best players this franchise has ever had back. 

But that doesn’t mean I’m going to look the other way and ignore the obvious truth that took place here. I’m not holding it against him, but I saw it, and I’m not afraid to call it what it was even if he, or anyone else is. 

• Thanks 2