Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Richardson Had A Good 2nd Half

RollerColt

1 minute ago, Nickster said:

The kid doesn’t look good throwing the ball from the pocket to the boundary.  That used to be the gold standard that determined if a dude was going to be good enough to play in this league. 

Everything else looks good.  He throws well on the move sidearm, both moving left and right.  That struck me today.  He runs pretty good but his feel foe the rush inside the pocket looks pretty near elite .

He pretty much looks just like his college tape.

Hes an intriguing prospect.  

he makes it interesting.

Minshew is a much better thrower at this point and I think that is clear.  But AR does a lot of things GM can’t dream of doing.  Not sure which of those 2 gives us the best chance to win games this year.  

ARs head bounced again today early, and I was concerned that he might have to come out again.  He goes down really hard and if he doesn’t fix that he won’t last long.

Football in Indy is watchable again that’s for sure.

Yep. He has a strong arm so maybe just footwork. 

54 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Shane cost us the game when he went pass, pass, pass on our last drive in regulation. All we needed was a field goal.  We were lucky the Rams didn’t kill us in regulation. Run the ball on 1st down and get the clock running.  I’d have even called a Richardson designed run to the edge.  Anything but pass, pass, pass.  Run it.  Then take a shot up the seam on 2nd.  Shane & AR still working out the kinks at home.  They’ll get there.

I think Stafford limping like a Ahab had a lot to do with the bolded.

These games for INdyhave been crazy.  Roller coaster rides.  The NFL is truly an  anygivenSunday affair.  Cards last week.  Cincy not being able to score.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Or even a designed run for Richardson.

I would have preferred Moss.  It’s not an accident that all the big plays followed good runs by Moss.  Him running made the defense account for him and not just pin their ears back and come for Richardson which they could do if Richardson was running the ball.  

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Yep. He has a strong arm so maybe just footwork. 

Maybe, but my point didn’t come through though.  It might not be essential for a guy to be able to do that anymore for a dude like Ar.  It’s not ideal, but he can roll or drift and attack fairly well to the boundary .  

• Like 1

This was supposed to be a season of development for AR with low probability of winning games.  Ironically, with AR being well ahead of the curve, we have a shot of winning any game, which has some thinking Minshew gives us a better chance to win.  Playing so well that playoffs seem reasonable, leading some to question whether you should be benched in favor of a backup level QB!  Lot of unpacking to do with that.  Crazy.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RollerColt said:

It’s worth noting Steichen is a rookie head coach. He’s going to have learning moments just like everyone else. And one game we can say take the 3 points, but another game he could be criticized for not being aggressive enough. 

Down 15. You hadn’t actually stopped them. It wasn’t a bad call. It would be criticized if he kicked and Colts lose by 5 because time ends.

I like what I saw from AR. That first 2 point conversion was a thing of beauty getting flushed from the pocket and throwing that tiny pass to 21. 

When was the last QB we’ve seen get out of trouble like that and score a big play? Probably Andrew Luck. Those 2 point conversions gave us the momentum we needed to tie it up. If the D could have held for a FG, I think the Colts could have taken the game with the way the offense was playing late. Oh well. 

regardless, I was happy to see our QB be the reason we were back in the game. 

I also really like Shane’s creativity and leadership. Same formation different play. I’m happy that I’m not sure what play is being called instead of being able to predict everything. 

frank is 0-4. If he was still here, we would likely be 0-4. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Richardson was a wizard in the second half.  That’s what we are going to see from him, ugly halves likes we saw in the first half and the brilliance we saw in the second half.  That’s why he has to play, even when he struggles, to figure it out so he can work on putting together consistency.  Again patience will be required.  

It’s okay to be honest when he doesn’t play well and say it because that’s going to happen.  It’s also important to remember he’s a rookie and the struggles are part of the growth process so calling for Minshew isn’t the answer.  Even as hard as I was on Richardson for his first half today the idea of benching him never entered my mind like some were calling for.  I understood he needed to play and figure it out and he did.  

Right.  I'm fully behind Richardson, but it's okay to discuss when he doesn't play well.  After the dismal first half of football,  some people on this board were saying that it wasn't Richardson's fault at all.  The reality was that he didn't play well and was as much to blame for the poor first half performance as anyone else.  When the offense scores zero points, you can't blame it entirely on the defense.   The whole team stunk, both the defense and the offense. That's going to happen, as he's still developing.  Overall, I love what I've seen so far from him.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Yeah I did not like that drive. We had plenty of time to mix it up. The only thing I can think of is he thought he has rams on the rope after all those big plays. But that did not cost us the game. The first half Swiss cheese defense cost us the game.

The poor defense and the complete lack of offense in the 1st half cost us the game.  It's hard to blame it all on the defense when the offense put up a first half goose egg and not even 50 yards passing. The defense and offense were both awful in the first half.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, kymd82222 said:

The poor defense and the complete lack of offense in the 1st half cost us the game.  It's hard to blame it all on the defense when the offense put up a first half goose egg and not even 50 yards passing. The defense and offense were both awful in the first half.  

Yeah but I can understand the offense struggling with a rookie QB. You can’t let a team put up 14 points that quickly.  It set the tone for the game.

I absolutely despise the designed QB runs. I understand that he can make plays like that (just like Lamar can) but those hits are unnecessary and will add up. Running when the play breaks down is great. Running your QB on purpose is a terrible idea IMO and I don't care if he's averaging 35 yards per play on designed runs.  Too much of that and we can expect his career to be short.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Nickster said:

The kid doesn’t look good throwing the ball from the pocket to the boundary.  That used to be the gold standard that determined if a dude was going to be good enough to play in this league. 

Everything else looks good.  He throws well on the move sidearm, both moving left and right.  That struck me today.  He runs pretty good but his feel foe the rush inside the pocket looks pretty near elite .

He pretty much looks just like his college tape.

Hes an intriguing prospect.  

he makes it interesting.

Minshew is a much better thrower at this point and I think that is clear.  But AR does a lot of things GM can’t dream of doing.  Not sure which of those 2 gives us the best chance to win games this year.  

ARs head bounced again today early, and I was concerned that he might have to come out again.  He goes down really hard and if he doesn’t fix that he won’t last long.

Football in Indy is watchable again that’s for sure.

Has that standard truly changed? I'm having a hard time getting over this fact and due to this I would have never drafted him and probably would have traded what it wook to get Stroud. 

Haven't all the recent super bowl winning QBs excelled at throwing from the pocket? 

19 hours ago, Chucklez said:

This loss isnt on Gay.

We had a chance to win this game with under 2 left in regulation and we took like 13s off the clock and punted it back.

We were down 23 - 0 and the fact that we even had a chance to win it is a mircale. I'll take that. 

Richardson will only get better. This is a good sign.

Yes to the Bolded.

With the win just a FG away, the offense was as non-affective as it was in the first half......and then in OT, Bradley's Defense also reverted to his first half incompetence. 

Seems coaches dial up better plays only when they are way behind.haha

5 hours ago, kymd82222 said:

The last drive in regulation  when we went three and out decided the game.

I agree

34 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

To be fair Richardson put that pass right on Granson's hands on 3rd down..He catches that its probably over..

I agree 100%.  I felt like the announcers totally glossed over that play.

it was a perfect pass for a 1st down.  I think we win the game if Granson comes down that.

Also earlier in the game Richardson had a great throw to Pittman in the endzone that should have been called for PI.

This throw was beautiful as well

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Mitch Connors said:

I absolutely despise the designed QB runs. I understand that he can make plays like that (just like Lamar can) but those hits are unnecessary and will add up. Running when the play breaks down is great. Running your QB on purpose is a terrible idea IMO and I don't care if he's averaging 35 yards per play on designed runs.  Too much of that and we can expect his career to be short.

Well so far it’s the Jalen Hurts model which is working right now.  I think every team would prefer a Mahomes or a Brady or a Manning, but those guys are incredibly rare.

I think teams are willing if they have to to burn and churn QBs a little.  Hurts and Newton were a ball bounce away from winning Superbowl s.

there are more guys who can run than sit in a pocket and be great.  Mahomes couldn’t move well last year and won.  Many posters here could beat Brady in a foot race.

i agree that the ideal is not to run your QB but the alternative is basically to hope you get Brady or to hope you get Mahomes.

I can’t imagine that AR is ever going to be a pocket first passer.  He’s got to run or he isn’t likely a guy that will be effective enough to win championships.

If you knew AR was only going to play 6 years but that he would win a SB and play in another would you draft him?  I would in a millisecond.

AR has to learn how to protect himself though or he won’t last.  His head bounced hard again once in the 1st Q or so.  He goes down hard.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Tsarquise said:

Has that standard truly changed? I'm having a hard time getting over this fact and due to this I would have never drafted him and probably would have traded what it wook to get Stroud. 

Haven't all the recent super bowl winning QBs excelled at throwing from the pocket? 

I think it has changed somewhat man.  Yes all of them have but Hurts easily played good enough to win last year and Newton played good enough a few years ago.

the alternative is to wait for Brady and Mahomes or a very few other guys or draft end construct a nickname D .

I wish we had Mahomes .  I think Stroud looks like what you are talking about so far.

But man those guys are extremely rare.  I’m not sold on AR.  But I do get it.

11 hours ago, Breeze said:

This was supposed to be a season of development for AR with low probability of winning games.  Ironically, with AR being well ahead of the curve, we have a shot of winning any game, which has some thinking Minshew gives us a better chance to win.  Playing so well that playoffs seem reasonable, leading some to question whether you should be benched in favor of a backup level QB!  Lot of unpacking to do with that.  Crazy.  

We lost both games that AR played most of the game and won both games Minshew played.

I think this issue of wins and losses for us this season s way more complex than AR and gM2 but AR has not won a FB game yet and Minshew has won two.

I started watching the game towards the end of the 3rd Quarter:thmup:

But, I must say what I was most impressed with…the Crowd noise!

:cheer2::rock::argh:

Correct me if I am wrong but, are you all more excited about Colts football  this season compared to the last three seasons?

I posted that I hope the fans Rock LOS

with noise against the rams…and you DID!

Keep it up because more excitement on it’s way!

From Glendale, Az…Colts Country!

Mighty Blue

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mighty Blue said:

I started watching the game towards the end of the 3rd Quarter:thmup:

But, I must say what I was most impressed with…the Crowd noise!

:cheer2::rock::argh:

Correct me if I am wrong but, are you all more excited about Colts football  this season compared to the last three seasons?

I posted that I hope the fans Rock LOS

with noise against the rams…and you DID!

Keep it up because more excitement on it’s way!

From Glendale, Az…Colts Country!

Mighty Blue

But…did the noise make any real difference?  :dunno:

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

We lost both games that AR played most of the game and won both games Minshew played.

I think this issue of wins and losses for us this season s way more complex than AR and gM2 but AR has not won a FB game yet and Minshew has won two.

We’ll have to agree to disagree.  You see Minshew as The Guy.  I see AR as the future who needs as many reps as he can get.  My football knowledge tells me that Minshew is a very good career backup.  
However I do agree that W’s and L’s are more complex this season, which is exactly why we need to play AR.  

3 hours ago, Breeze said:

3 hours ago, Breeze said:

We’ll have to agree to disagree.  You see Minshew as The Guy.  I see AR as the future who needs as many reps as he can get.  My football knowledge tells me that Minshew is a very good career backup.  
However I do agree that W’s and L’s are more complex this season, which is exactly why we need to play AR.  

Not at all man.  I don’t see Minshew as the guy at all.  I’m just stating facts.

we had no business beating The ravens last week really.  The Gay performance was historical, they were really dumb about then KO and 2 minute warning, they had what 8 starters sidelined etc etc etc.  I am not at all thinking he’s the man.  

I really don’t think there is a serious argument that AR throws better than GM right now and maybe never but there is more to QBing than just throwing, especially in 2023.  

Gun to my head I’d say GM gives us a better chance of winning right now but it’s not because of the two wins.  

do you think Ar is a better passer than GM right now?  I mean the numbers scream loudly differently.

I am not sure AR is going to be able to pass well enough to be great but he’s played four games.  It was pretty much unprecedented that a guy as erratic throwing the ball even when on air until Allen a few years ago.  Not sure if he refined his tech or what.  Tua refined his technique to whip rather than kinda push the ball but he was always accurate.  

Point being there is recent evidence of an inaccurate thrower becoming an elite QB.

whether or not AR follows that is yet TBD.  

the main thing that concerns me about AR now is he isn’t going to last long if doesn’t stop bouncing his head.  He stays stiff and rigid and has to learn to relax and soften when going to the ground so he doesn’t stay rigid and go down so hard.  Sliding, running OB throwing it away can help but man he is really knocking his brain around on the turf.

4 hours ago, Dingus McGirt said:

But…did the noise make any real difference?  :dunno:

Can anyone else that was at the game answer his/her question?:thinking:

One Sunday morning, about the time Andrew was QB, the network showed a person in the crowd reading a newspaper:facepalm: Why, because he was reading a newspaper… DURING the game!

Another game, they showed a lady resting up against a guy, her head on his shoulder and she appeared to be asleep, or bored :grumpy2:

You ask if it made any difference?

Did the fans get more excited when we started a comeback?

How about when we tied the game?

What would our Colts players say?

Yeah we lost a close game but I would rather see and hear our fans cheering on our Colts especially, when the other team has the ball.

And THAT could make a difference between winning and losing.

Keep it up fans, you do make a difference!

:rock:

8 hours ago, Nickster said:

Not at all man.  I don’t see Minshew as the guy at all.  I’m just stating facts.

we had no business beating The ravens last week really.  The Gay performance was historical, they were really dumb about then KO and 2 minute warning, they had what 8 starters sidelined etc etc etc.  I am not at all thinking he’s the man.  

I really don’t think there is a serious argument that AR throws better than GM right now and maybe never but there is more to QBing than just throwing, especially in 2023.  

Gun to my head I’d say GM gives us a better chance of winning right now but it’s not because of the two wins.  

do you think Ar is a better passer than GM right now?  I mean the numbers scream loudly differently.

I am not sure AR is going to be able to pass well enough to be great but he’s played four games.  It was pretty much unprecedented that a guy as erratic throwing the ball even when on air until Allen a few years ago.  Not sure if he refined his tech or what.  Tua refined his technique to whip rather than kinda push the ball but he was always accurate.  

Point being there is recent evidence of an inaccurate thrower becoming an elite QB.

whether or not AR follows that is yet TBD.  

the main thing that concerns me about AR now is he isn’t going to last long if doesn’t stop bouncing his head.  He stays stiff and rigid and has to learn to relax and soften when going to the ground so he doesn’t stay rigid and go down so hard.  Sliding, running OB throwing it away can help but man he is really knocking his brain around on the turf.

I really didn’t believe you see GM as the guy.  You’re a smart poster, but also a bit contrarian (a good thing), so just drawing you out on that one.  The points you make about AR are exactly why he needs to be playing.  If he was a hot mess out there, then I’d agree with bringing him along slowly.  But he’s already shown the game is not too big or fast for him, so let him grow his experience beyond 13 college games.  This year is like the Luck rookie year.  Low expectations filled with pleasant surprises.  Being out there also means he continues to learn how protect himself, and he already showed signs of that against the Rams.  Cheers.

32 minutes ago, Breeze said:

I really didn’t believe you see GM as the guy.  You’re a smart poster, but also a bit contrarian (a good thing), so just drawing you out on that one.  The points you make about AR are exactly why he needs to be playing.  If he was a hot mess out there, then I’d agree with bringing him along slowly.  But he’s already shown the game is not too big or fast for him, so let him grow his experience beyond 13 college games.  This year is like the Luck rookie year.  Low expectations filled with pleasant surprises.  Being out there also means he continues to learn how protect himself, and he already showed signs of that against the Rams.  Cheers.

I’m definitely contrarian but I’m not aBSer.  I actually believe the things I say and I’m much less dogamatic than it appears and most of my posts reflect skepticism of my own opinions and possibilities of re assessing.  I do get infights with dogmatic personal attacking posters but I’m going to try to ignore that kind of nonsense.

the only reason I’d sit AR is load management.  He’s really getting his head beat in.  

even though I thin GM gives us a little better chance to win games it’s not enough to sit Ar for that reason.  His development is more important than wins

I dint see us playoff caliber but in the South it might be possible.

8 hours ago, Mighty Blue said:

One Sunday morning, about the time Andrew was QB, the network showed a person in the crowd reading a newspaper:facepalm: Why, because he was reading a newspaper… DURING the game!

Another game, they showed a lady resting up against a guy, her head on his shoulder and she appeared to be asleep, or bored :grumpy2:

Yeah we lost a close game but I would rather see and hear our fans cheering on our Colts especially, when the other team has the ball.

The fans in LOS were in "full throat" during the Ram's OT possession it was awesome.  That said - Stafford didn't even blink.

14 hours ago, Nickster said:

Well so far it’s the Jalen Hurts model which is working right now.  I think every team would prefer a Mahomes or a Brady or a Manning, but those guys are incredibly rare.

I think teams are willing if they have to to burn and churn QBs a little.  Hurts and Newton were a ball bounce away from winning Superbowl s.

there are more guys who can run than sit in a pocket and be great.  Mahomes couldn’t move well last year and won.  Many posters here could beat Brady in a foot race.

i agree that the ideal is not to run your QB but the alternative is basically to hope you get Brady or to hope you get Mahomes.

I can’t imagine that AR is ever going to be a pocket first passer.  He’s got to run or he isn’t likely a guy that will be effective enough to win championships.

If you knew AR was only going to play 6 years but that he would win a SB and play in another would you draft him?  I would in a millisecond.

AR has to learn how to protect himself though or he won’t last.  His head bounced hard again once in the 1st Q or so.  He goes down hard.

Good point, running is vital to AR's game and he will take some hits as part of it.

I think my Luck scar tissue makes me wince every time AR runs and gets hit. That's a me problem and I need to get over that. 

8 hours ago, Mighty Blue said:

We do have great (and noisy) fans, and we do ebb and flow with the energy of the team.  I try to do my part, but now that I’m in my 50’s, too much yelling gets me light headed and I’m afraid I’ll pass out and fall over the edge!  

On 10/2/2023 at 8:42 AM, RollerColt said:

Thank you Roller. This is exactly what I was looking for. And should have hundreds of likes here.

This shows what matters offensively.

Instead we see blathering about what ifs.

Our coach has us ready with some inventive plays and we executed them well. And our young QB is very gifted working under pressure and capable of making really good plays. Can't wait to see what he shows us each week. 

• Thanks 1