Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL Preview Rams vs Colts plus injury reports

Restinpeacesweetchloe

36 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

They obviously go at it pretty hard in practice for Rainmann and Kelly to go out on the last practice.  Coaches might need to rethink if that is a wise thing to do.  I thought they just had walk throughs on Friday.  Guess not. I’m sure AR had a red jersey on.  Kelly on the other hand gets to go at it hard.  That doesn’t make sense to me.  Especially if the injury is a concussion.  He’s a veteran.  It’s not like he needs a ton of practice.  Many veterans get days off.  Lineman’s heads collide all the time.  Why risk him?  Makes no sense to me.  His injury could have been prevented.  His relapse is on the coach’s imo.

FWIW:

During the course of the season, all teams are allowed just 11 full pad, hard practices.  18 weeks, 11 practices.   To be clear, that’s 11 practices, period,  and NOT 11 hard weeks of practices.    So it’s not clear to me how Raimann ended up with his concussion.   

It’s possible that number of 11 might be slightly off +/-.   But not by much.  That’s been the number for roughly 10 years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

FWIW:

During the course of the season, all teams are allowed just 11 full pad, hard practices.  18 weeks, 11 practices.   To be clear, that’s 11 practices, period,  and NOT 11 hard weeks of practices.    So it’s not clear to me how Raimann ended up with his concussion.   

It’s possible that number of 11 might be slightly off +/-.   But not by much.  That’s been the number for roughly 10 years.

Thanks.  I did not know that.  I guess we will never know if any of this week’s practices were hard practices.  For Raimann to incur one makes me think they probably had at least one but who knows.  The risk is there every time you have one.  The Kelly relapse after two practices has me somewhat concerned.  If they had a hard practice this week I would not have had him participate.  Veteran rest day for him for me.  Again we will probably never know.  None of us expected this today that’s for sure.

2 hours ago, Jackie Daytona said:

Bigger story here is R. Kelly.  I think he's done after this year.  He will either retire, or get released.  Seven + games missed over last 1.25 seasons is pretty bad, and he'll just be more likely to get them going forward.  If they keep him, it should be for substantially less .... 

Who are the FA OC next year?  Any great interior OL that are Jr/Sr in college??

West Virginia University has an outstanding center. 

19 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

FWIW:

Heard some good points today that sometimes concussions don’t show up right away and it’s possible it could of been from last week. Apparently after yesterdays practice he complained about symptoms.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Blake Freeland I believe played a lot of tackle in college at least.

He started 41 games at tackle.  25 at LT and 16 at RT.    But….   He’s played ZERO snaps of regular football the first three weeks.   He’s only played 7-8 snaps on Special teams.   FG’s and Xtra points.   That’s it.   

Far far from ideal….

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

He started 41 games at tackle.  25 at LT and 16 at RT.    But….   He’s played ZERO snaps of regular football the first three weeks.   He’s only played 7-8 snaps on Special teams.   FG’s and Xtra points.   That’s it.   

Far far from ideal….

I would rather have a inexperienced tackle who actually played tackle then a guard playing tackle. That’s more games then Rainmann had at tackle in college.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AKB said:

So it is likely we will get our first look at some of the oline depth, 

Hopefully Freeland has a good game, or we are gonna lose bad. 

gonna need our tight ends this game too. 

ballard said it is not about one player and he is confident about his backups or he would not have them on the roster

The announcer said in last weeks game, that they didn't want Wesley French to have to take on the extra responsibility, of making the offensive line protection calls, so they had Minshew do that (at which he failed miserably).

So who gets that job Sunday vs the Rams?

...Richardson? ...French? ...Someone else?

4 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

The announcer said in last weeks game, that they didn't want Wesley French to have to take on the extra responsibility, of making the offensive line protection calls, so they had Minshew do that (at which he failed miserably).

So who gets that job Sunday vs the Rams?

...Richardson? ...French? ...Someone else?

hopefully it was a point of emphasis this week

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I would rather have a inexperienced tackle who actually played tackle then a guard playing tackle. That’s more games then Rainmann had at tackle in college.

Yes, it’s more games than Raimann had in college.   But you should not compare the two otherwise.   Raimann was brought along much faster by the Colts.   

The first few weeks of 2022, Raimann played 12-15 snaps.   Then it went to 15-18 snaps for a few weeks.   He didn’t play for a week or two due to injury or other circumstances.   Then he played full time and was spectacularly bad!   Some here forget that.   They remember that Raimann was very good around week 11 but before that, his play was was extraordinarily bad.   

Credit to Raimann that he came as far and and fast as he did.   But the Colts have not done the same with Freeland.   So I think we’d get the terrible play that Raimann  gave for roughly 10 weeks, but I wouldn’t count on getting the incredible jump that Raimann displayed the final 7 weeks.   Different players, very different circumstances.

Sorry, I know that answer won’t be popular.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes, it’s more games than Raimann had in college.   But you should not compare the two otherwise.   Raimann was brought along much faster by the Colts.   

The first few weeks of 2022, Raimann played 12-15 snaps.   Then it went to 15-18 snaps for a few weeks.   He didn’t play for a week or two due to injury or other circumstances.   Then he played full time and was spectacularly bad!   Some here forget that.   They remember that Raimann was very good around week 11 but before that, his play was was extraordinarily bad.   

Credit to Raimann that he came as far and and fast as he did.   But the Colts have not done the same with Freeland.   So I think we’d get the terrible play that Raimann  gave for roughly 10 weeks, but I wouldn’t count on getting the incredible jump that Raimann displayed the final 7 weeks.   Different players, very different circumstances.

Sorry, I know that answer won’t be popular.  

All I am saying is he is much more prepared then Rainmann was. 

10 hours ago, AKB said:

I think Freeland will be a pleasant surprise. at least here's hoping

I hope he does but tackles tend to struggle early in their careers.  Look at Raimann last year.  Most of the time they just aren’t physically strong enough yet and have to adjust to the speed of NFL edge players.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I hope he does but tackles tend to struggle early in their careers.  Look at Raimann last year.  Most of the time they just aren’t physically strong enough yet and have to adjust to the speed of NFL edge players.

Hope you guys get a W this week!

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Thanks.  I did not know that.  I guess we will never know if any of this week’s practices were hard practices.  For Raimann to incur one makes me think they probably had at least one but who knows.  The risk is there every time you have one.  The Kelly relapse after two practices has me somewhat concerned.  If they had a hard practice this week I would not have had him participate.  Veteran rest day for him for me.  Again we will probably never know.  None of us expected this today that’s for sure.

Seems like Kelly is leading the league for centers getting a concussion.

18 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Far far from ideal….

Why woulf he play regular snaps if our LT and RT have been healthy, if that is the position he's slated for?  I would think he plays LT this week.

34 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

Why woulf he play regular snaps if our LT and RT have been healthy, if that is the position he's slated for?  I would think he plays LT this week.

I was only trying to note the difference in the approach the Colts have taken with Raimann and Freeland.  

Last year, the Colts had a plan to accelerate Raimann’s learning curve.   12-15 plays his first few games, 15-18 snaps the next few and so on,  then they threw him in as the starter.   

The Colts haven’t taken the same approach this year with Freeland.   I know, different coaching staff, etc.   I’m only noting that Freeland has not played a single snap of regular downs, just Xtra points and FGs.   He’s now being thrown into the deep end right away.   That’s a hard way to learn for a 4th round draft pick.  

I like Freeland.   Happy we drafted him.  But there’s a reason he lasted to pick 110 when his body and college experience would suggest he’d get drafted earlier.  In short, he’s got flaws in his game and they’re likely going to be exploited tomorrow.  Freeland could have a tough day.  

As always, I hope I’m wrong with my concerns.   But I fear I’m right.  

(Hope I answered your question?)

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I was only trying to note the difference in the approach the Colts have taken with Raimann and Freeland.  

Last year, the Colts had a plan to accelerate Raimann’s learning curve.   12-15 plays his first few games, 15-18 snaps the next few and so on,  then they threw him in as the starter.   

The Colts haven’t taken the same approach this year with Freeland.   I know, different coaching staff, etc.   I’m only noting that Freeland has not played a single snap of regular downs, just Xtra points and FGs.   He’s now being thrown into the deep end right away.   That’s a hard way to learn for a 4th round draft pick.  

I like Freeland.   Happy we drafted him.  But there’s a reason he lasted to pick 110 when his body and college experience would suggest he’d get drafted earlier.  In short, he’s got flaws in his game and they’re likely going to be exploited tomorrow.  Freeland could have a tough day.  

Pryor sucked. Stating Rainmann was not their plan. 

21 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Pryor sucked. Stating Rainmann was not their plan. 

Sorry, but not true.  

The plan was revealed week one at Houston.    The staff planned to play Raimann in the first game and every game building up the snaps.   The fact that Pryor sucked only accelerated the plan.   But there WAS a plan.  The staff freely talked about it before and after games.   We talked about it here on this message board.   

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

That makes sense.  I didn't know what you were thinking, but the explanation makes sense!  Maybe he's not as game ready as we hoped!!

36 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sorry, but not true.  

The plan was revealed week one at Houston.    The staff planned to play Raimann in the first game and every game building up the snaps.   The fact that Pryor sucked only accelerated the plan.   But there WAS a plan.  The staff freely talked about it before and after games.   We talked about it here on this message board.   

i feel like the vibe was for him to eventually be our LT, and they started giving him snaps pretty early