Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

AR vs Young vs Stroud vs Levis

csmopar

4 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

I agree with that, neither of us know until stuff hits the fan.  But what doesn’t make sense to me is that he would take a job and can’t even choose his own QB.  Then add in the fact that he’s hell bent on playcalling, why wouldn’t he want to choose his own QB?  

Either way, he has a job to do and he’s not good at it right now.  Whether he wanted him or not.  if we’re going to blame Ballard also for the wentz trade, then by your logic we need blame Frank for what’s going with his team.

He didn't have a lot of options. He was just fired so he was probably just thankful to have a job. Hard for him to go in there and make demands

7 hours ago, Nickster said:

I haven’t seen a single down of Young, but using ESPN, his QBR is 25 which is as bad as it gets and his passer rating is 75.  I don’t know what’s going on over there at all, but the notion that Reich produces bad QB numbers is an untenable position to take statistically.  Luck had the best year of his career under Reich, Wentz had a QBR 20 + points higher than the season before and the season after, Rivers had a major bounce back year with 2 bad ankles, and for a couple months, some deluded media types thought of Jacoby friggin Brissett as an MVP candidate.  Ryan sucked but he sucked way worse under ole Jeff and was clearly washed up.  Not a huge Reich guy but his system historically appears very QB friendly.  Ie.  Young is clearly not ready and or headed for a bust.  Not passing judgement on the little guy but he’s been godawful statistically so far.  That much is clear.

AR and CJS are multiverses better so far.  AR has a decent QBR of 53.5 but a pedestrian passer rating of 85.4.  Most of his decent QBR is a function of his running and scrambling to avoid big losses.  Some people are having difficulty adjusting to the reality of the dual threat QB in 2023 but AR overall is doing all right.  Not near as well as some people here think but he’s doing OK.  I’ll keep saying it but the dude is going to have to figure out how to get tackled better and help himself prevent his head from bouncing off the turf or he’s not going to last the season.  There are lots of ways to help minimize this but it’s a real issue IMo.  But performance wise he’s doing fine and to me it’s clear he can start in this league while healthy.  

CJ stroud has a little better QBR than AR at 57.5 and a miles better passer rating at 100.6.  The main reason that his QBR isn’t way better than AR is that he took 11 sacks his first two games.  He’s taken 0 in the last 2 which is almost implausible.  Don’t know what he’s done the last two.  Maybe Tunsil is playing?  He’s been coached up a little? He and the Texans dominated PItt and if TJW played its Uber impressive not to take a single sack.  If not it’s still pretty good.  CJ is making a star out of Nico Collins so far.  Very impressive pocket passing rookie.

CJ looks like a stud to me.  AR has shown flashes.  The big questions are developing accuracy and to me the bigger issue is the damage he’s accumulating with his playing style.  Every NFL defender is an animal of an athlete and he’s got to learn to protect himself and to realize that these guys are way bigger stronger faster than college guys.  Point being I don’t think ARs brain will be able to sustain the damage it must be taking so far.

I think that that new test they give prospects that tests spatial processing speed or whatever might take a lot of the guesswork out of prospects.  You can see clearly that AR is able to slow the game down mentally.  To me his college tape does not look like an NFL QB with the throwing issues.  People were wowed by the combine numbers and the deep throws but I was struck by the inaccuracy when throwing to the boundary on air at the combine.  But after hearing about the mental processing number and of course seeing the physical beastness obvious talent, I was more optimistic.  I think all this is playing out.  The athletic talent and processing speed  is allowing him to look decent even though the throwing is erratic.

I’d definitely rather have CJ and he was my tepid favorite going into the draft.  I don’t make CFB to NFL predictions.  Don’t watch much CFB and it’s hard for everyone including NFL FOs to project that position coming into the league with  all the busts year after year.  I wanted Leaf in 98.

As long as AR stays healthy it looks like he’s at the least NFL starter level.  If his throwing improves he might be great someday.

This post is spot on.  Every word.  Can't believe it hasn't gotten more likes so far.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Nickster said:

I haven’t seen a single down of Young, but using ESPN, his QBR is 25 which is as bad as it gets and his passer rating is 75.  I don’t know what’s going on over there at all, but the notion that Reich produces bad QB numbers is an untenable position to take statistically.  Luck had the best year of his career under Reich, Wentz had a QBR 20 + points higher than the season before and the season after, Rivers had a major bounce back year with 2 bad ankles, and for a couple months, some deluded media types thought of Jacoby friggin Brissett as an MVP candidate.  Ryan sucked but he sucked way worse under ole Jeff and was clearly washed up.  Not a huge Reich guy but his system historically appears very QB friendly.  Ie.  Young is clearly not ready and or headed for a bust.  Not passing judgement on the little guy but he’s been godawful statistically so far.  That much is clear.

Superman did an analysis of Young during the draft process and stated that Young:  does not possess GREAT speed or athleticism, does not possess an elite arm, and accuracy was not elite.

And, IIRC, Young never threw or ran in the predraft process, only weighed and measured.

He was pretty much anointed the number one pick for weeks.  I don't blame him for riding the hype and not testing.

He had pre-draft red flags all over the place for being too small and not being close to a superior NFL athlete by any measure (while another guy got whaled on for putting mayonnaise in his coffee on his personal time).  Young's got huge bust potential, and always had it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

It was ARs pocket awareness, and passing that caught the team back up. Granted the first TD was a designed run, he also passed for everything else. I don’t have a problem with designed runs, or scrambling. The thing I love, is AR looks to pass first before running, and did a good job of it vs the rams. He doesn’t just start running when his first read isn’t there, he stays behind the line of scrimmage for as long as he can in order to make a throw. 

most of these running QBs are afraid to rely on their arm, and as of week 4, AR is not, and that’s a great sign that he trusts his passing ability. Being so young I expect big improvements in his accuracy over the course of his next 2 off seasons, where he will put most of his work in to become more accurate. He’s grown a lot during the first portion of the season, but where you make big improvements is the off season. 

I felt like in the first half, AR was running more, and didn't want to pass it down field.  2nd half though, he really opened up his passing, and he looked great doing it!

10 hours ago, Nickster said:

I think that that new test they give prospects that tests spatial processing speed or whatever might take a lot of the guesswork out of prospects.

Isn't that the test that CJ Stroud bombed? I've watched some of Bryce Young, I think he's overwhelmed by the speed, and is gunshy. And I don't think Reich has the touch to help him in this situation.

I'm not super concerned with AR's ability to avoid hits and stay healthy. Either he'll learn his lesson, or he won't. We watched how it went with Luck, and we even saw Wentz up close and personal for a season; some guys just don't know how to give up on a play, to their own detriment. It's also probably why the 2012 Colts were able to win all those close games, and why Richardson is able to make plays to crawl back from a three TD deficit. So we take the good with the bad, and hold our breath on every play.

But unlike the Colts with Luck, this team is being coached in a way that doesn't require the QB to stand in the pocket and get battered. They're emphasizing the quick passing game, calling screens, using play action, and RPOs. They're also using Richardson's athleticism in a way that allows him to be a weapon, which takes some pressure off the OL to protect all game, and allows Richardson to get in the open field and protect himself by getting down or out of bounds. It's up to him to pull the cord, though. 

And I think there's reason to be hopeful that he'll grow from some of the beatings he's taking right now. He has to learn that these NFL guys are just as big and fast as he is, he can't let his guard down, and he has to respect his opponents at all times. And I think the coaching staff is stressing that to him every chance they get. But there will still be some adventures, based on both the situation and his awareness.

• Like 3

Interesting take on Bryce Young's situation:

Frank Reich’s playcalling is killing Bryce Young

One of the biggest selling points for Reich as head coach of the Panthers was his history with quarterbacks. That resume really can’t be downplayed. He managed to elevate Peyton Manning’s game in Indianapolis as a quarterbacks coach, did the same for Philip Rivers in San Diego, and managed to turn Carson Wentz into a monster during his time in Philadelphia.

It’s abundantly clear what the core issue is: Reich is trying to mitigate the lack of receiving talent, while also wanting to maintain control over the offensive decision making. It would be a good plan for most quarterbacks, but painfully fails to understand who Bryce Young is as a player — which is remarkable considering this was the team who scouted him and fell in love with him to the point of trading away the future for him.

The article goes on to describe Young's success when infrequently given the flexibility to create plays, but how Reich has stifled those opportunities.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2023/10/3/23901264/bryce-young-panthers-frank-reich-nfl

13 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

Interesting take on Bryce Young's situation:

The article goes on to describe Young's success when infrequently given the flexibility to create plays, but how Reich has stifled those opportunities.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2023/10/3/23901264/bryce-young-panthers-frank-reich-nfl

Something Steichen and the OC in Houston have done well. Made the game easy for these guys and played to their strengths. Reich needs to turn play calling over to a young hot OC that plays modern football. I shudder what would of happened with Reich and Richardson.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Something Steichen and the OC in Houston have done well. Made the game easy for these guys and played to their strengths. Reich needs to turn play calling over to a young hot OC that plays modern football. I shudder what would of happened with Reich and Richardson.

A lot of handoffs up the middle. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Richardson has surprised but that shouldn't be the scale to judge other rookie QBs at this point.

What Young goes through is normal for every rookie QB, even for a good one. For A team that traded #1 WR and draft picks to draft him, after trading league's #1 RB the previous year, that doesn't have any explosive player, Young also is going through ups and downs but it's normal on a rookie year.

Richardson is very different for sure... no wonder he didn't want to play anymore in college after just 13 games :D

That's true about Young. I think he will get better. He is a smart kid and I think his QB coach will help to make him better. (I am a huge believer in Josh McCown.)

Stroud and Richardson are playing better than expected. I like Richardson a lot because he is gifted yet humble. He plays with a  lot of poise. I'm looking forward to seeing how the other quarterbacks do too. O'Connell and Thompson-Robinson debuted last week. I don't think Levis and H. Hooker will be playing soon. Levis will probably play before Hooker.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Superman said:

I've watched some of Bryce Young, I think he's overwhelmed by the speed, and is gunshy.

I've watched the better part of 2 CAR games, and that is exactly what it looks like. 

For all of those things he was supposed to have that made up for his lack of physical talent and athletic traits, there are signs that those things are not good enough.....at least not in the short/medium term that you'd want to trade up from 9 to get him.

He's playing slow/hesitant, like he's having trouble finding the receivers...not seeing the entire field (and I mean physically).

12 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Watching both of them play, Richardson is clearly playing better, regardless of the stats.

Yep, I think Peyton Manning did too. He said he was hoping that his record for Interceptions by a rookie would be broken this year. I recall thinking that Richardson won't throw it enough to break the record. I think Richardson is playing well and does not look lost out there. He shows poise.

I agree and I am actually a big stunned at the level of poise for such a young kid with so few starts. And I was definitely not for drafting him but I’m glad to say that so far, i was wrong .

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

He’d called the same exact plays he called since he was originally hired as the HC with Luck at the Helm. 

2 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Looking at the Jags schedule next month stroud or Richardson could have a good chance of winning the division and making playoffs. Jags schedule is brutal. Then of course there is always the titans go watch out for. 

texans have the easiest schedule by far  in the division its almost pathetic .  i dont see many good teams

• Like 1

without bias its stroud who is best rookie QB right now .   but richardson has the potential to be mahomes level great in the long run .    there is two scenarios i see with richardson , one is the cam newton route where he gets really good for 5 to 6 years and never really takes the next step as a passer then falls off when he is 30 .    the other is where he develops into a josh allen with 4.4 speed and becomes elite top 3 QB in the league .     i hope its the latter but we wont know until a couple years down the line .

6 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I don’t think Reich would of taken young either if it had only been up to him.

Reich would have taken the Richardson 100 percent if up to him! Really doesn’t matter he wouldn’t know how to use him successfully.

21 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

texans have the easiest schedule by far  in the division its almost pathetic .  i dont see many good teams

Jags schedule is ridiculous. Two overseas games and no bye week before colts. Then a short week before they get a bye week.  We will see what happens. Hopefully falcons can beat Texans Sunday. Jags have bills in London.

21 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

Texans have a cake walk schedule. Considering  they smoked the jags in Jacksonville  and blew out the steelers two teams we struggle  with. Then they have the falcons, saints, buc, panthers, broncos jets browns cardinals bengals. I Wouldn't  be surprised  if they won the division. 

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Jags schedule is ridiculous. Two overseas games and no bye week before colts. Then a short week before they get a bye week.  We will see what happens. Hopefully falcons can beat Texans Sunday. Jags have bills in London.

Jags already won first london game and have the advantage  over the bills since they are there two consecutive  weeks. Stroud would have worked  better in frank Reich system 

19 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Texans have a cake walk schedule. Considering  they smoked the jags in Jacksonville  and blew out the steelers two teams we struggle  with. Then they have the falcons, saints, buc, panthers, broncos jets browns cardinals bengals. I Wouldn't  be surprised  if they won the division. 

i think they do end up winning the division , i think we end up somewhere between 7-10 wins .  if we had rodgers and gilmore still i think we are a 10-12 win team .   teams will start passing non stop knowing we have no secondary

18 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Jags already won first london game and have the advantage  over the bills since they are there two consecutive  weeks. Stroud would have worked  better in frank Reich system 

I would think jags have a travel advantage but Bills are much better then jags. But colts will have jags after they get back from London. Jags have some traveling to do.

4 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

you should see the panthers boards. They’re talking about firing Frank at the bye week. A lot of the things this forum was saying about him is being said there as well. It’s like looking back in time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

BTW Colts have a pretty easy schedule too.

The reason I give the Texans the advantage  is because  colts face jags in Jacksonville, patriots, and steelers. Historically we have struggled  versus all three seemingly  always choking versus steelers

On 10/2/2023 at 6:39 PM, Superman said:

Based on what they said, I think Richardson was the Colts QB1. I'm fine with that, I can see what Richardson has that Stroud doesn't, and why a team might favor him. Over time, he might wind up being the better player. But as a passer, I felt like Stroud was definitely the best prospect.

Even then, both Stroud and Richardson are outperforming my expectations so far.

Same. And Young is underperforming my expectations, even though I didn't have very high expectations. 

With Richardson I expected a lot of growing pains and some of that is happening. I expected the flashes of brilliance too. What has surprised me is that those flashes are now becoming not just flashes but waves of brilliance. He's not having just the ocassional "wow" throw. He's having drives, quarters... hell even halves of high level of play. And he's also still throwing everything 100 miles/h and he's sometimes late with some of his throws... and he sails some throws over receivers heads. A lot of this was expected and I feel like to some degree it has been moderated by this coaching staff compared to what he was doing last year. In other words - both the positives and the negatives we saw from last year are still there... but it feels like the positives are more frequent and the negatives are muted a bit. 

Overall I feel good about where he is... but he still has a long way to go. If this is the final product, it's not good enough in the long run. But when looking at the progress he's making, how unphases he is with the moment and responsibility, I see no reason to doubt he will continue improving over the next few years. At this point it's up to him, the coaching staff and Ballard(to give him more/better weapons) about where he ends up...(and of course - luck injury-wise).

• Like 3

On 10/3/2023 at 5:27 AM, Nickster said:

AR and CJS are multiverses better so far.  AR has a decent QBR of 53.5 but a pedestrian passer rating of 85.4.  Most of his decent QBR is a function of his running and scrambling to avoid big losses.  Some people are having difficulty adjusting to the reality of the dual threat QB in 2023 but AR overall is doing all right.  Not near as well as some people here think but he’s doing OK.  I’ll keep saying it but the dude is going to have to figure out how to get tackled better and help himself prevent his head from bouncing off the turf or he’s not going to last the season.  There are lots of ways to help minimize this but it’s a real issue IMo.  But performance wise he’s doing fine and to me it’s clear he can start in this league while healthy.  

CJ stroud has a little better QBR than AR at 57.5 and a miles better passer rating at 100.6.  The main reason that his QBR isn’t way better than AR is that he took 11 sacks his first two games.  He’s taken 0 in the last 2 which is almost implausible.  Don’t know what he’s done the last two.  Maybe Tunsil is playing?  He’s been coached up a little? He and the Texans dominated PItt and if TJW played its Uber impressive not to take a single sack.  If not it’s still pretty good.  CJ is making a star out of Nico Collins so far.  Very impressive pocket passing rookie.

CJ looks like a stud to me.  AR has shown flashes.  The big questions are developing accuracy and to me the bigger issue is the damage he’s accumulating with his playing style.  Every NFL defender is an animal of an athlete and he’s got to learn to protect himself and to realize that these guys are way bigger stronger faster than college guys.  Point being I don’t think ARs brain will be able to sustain the damage it must be taking so far.

I think that that new test they give prospects that tests spatial processing speed or whatever might take a lot of the guesswork out of prospects.  You can see clearly that AR is able to slow the game down mentally.  To me his college tape does not look like an NFL QB with the throwing issues.  People were wowed by the combine numbers and the deep throws but I was struck by the inaccuracy when throwing to the boundary on air at the combine.  But after hearing about the mental processing number and of course seeing the physical beastness obvious talent, I was more optimistic.  I think all this is playing out.  The athletic talent and processing speed  is allowing him to look decent even though the throwing is erratic.

I’d definitely rather have CJ and he was my tepid favorite going into the draft.  I don’t make CFB to NFL predictions.  Don’t watch much CFB and it’s hard for everyone including NFL FOs to project that position coming into the league with  all the busts year after year.  I wanted Leaf in 98.

As long as AR stays healthy it looks like he’s at the least NFL starter level.  If his throwing improves he might be great someday.

I gotta nitpick a little bit here bc none of the QB you listed when they worked with Reich was a rookie. Actually I will give you Carson Wentz but that team was stacked. Carolinas cupboard on offense is pretty barren, and they have had offensive line problems to go along with that. I think he makes the right reads, but I agree with those who speak about the adjustment to the speed of the game. Particularly these defensive linemen who are running step for step with him. I still maintain he is going to get it figured out at some point during the year. It's probably going to take about 1 good game. I have to be honest and say my doubts about him holding up to the physicality on this level will remain for a while.

People can cite the Ohio State offense all they want but the fact remains CJ had better numbers than Peyton Manning coming out of College. I saw a lot of great QB traits when I watched CJ on film. And he is very engaging just like Manning was. along with that personality that gets all his team mates to believe in him.  I'm not saying he is Manning of course, but he does have star potential yes.

I think when AR runs  it has a higher degree of aggressiveness to it. Although I don't think its entirely reckless. To contrast when Hurts runs it's like real smooth and he doesn't take the big hits and collisions. I could see AR applying the slide to his game against the Rams so that was good, but I think he will always have some of that rough element to his game at times where youre worried he will get injured.

22 minutes ago, krunk said:

People can cite the Ohio State offense all they want but the fact remains CJ had better numbers than Peyton Manning coming out of College. I saw a lot of great QB traits when I watched CJ on film. And he is very engaging just like Manning was. along with that personality that gets all his team mates to believe in him.  I'm not saying he is Manning of course, but he does have star potential yes.

CJ May have had better numbers than Peyton in college, I honestly don’t know.   But here’s what he didn’t have.   As much experience.    

CJ started for Ohio State for two years.   That’s good.   Peyton started at Tenn for about 3.5 years, and that’s fantastic.  That experience was so helpful for Manning.  Luck started for three seasons at Stanford.  Made a huge difference for him.   

These days, all young quarterbacks are in such a rush to start their careers and make big money.   They start for two years and often leave early.  They sacrifice experience at the position where experience is hugely important.   That was a huge concern for me with AR.  But so far, Steichen and his staff appear to have done a masterful job with Richardson.  Props to them.   The Colts are fortunate.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BeanDiasucci said:

This article is simply feeding a bias. It takes a narrative that is accepted fact (Frank sucks) and backs into examples and logic that supports the original narrative.

It praises QBs like Rogers and Mahomes for creating plays out of structure....IOW, when the play breaks down, they create on their own.  So, they get praise BECAUSE GB and KC called play that sucked, and they made lemonade out of lemons.

But somehow, Reich's sucky play calling is making the play break down in a certain way that Young can't scramble and create.

By definition, in all cases, the called play (in structure) MUST break down BEFORE the out of structure success can even happen...so how can a play call be stifling a QBs creativity out of structure?  LOL.

I guess Nathaniel Hackett and Eric Bienemy should be praised for "allowing" Rogers and Mahomes to take off and make something when their original play call failed.....and since AR and PM do that a lot, a lot of plays Hackett and Bienemy called must have sucked.