Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eagles Colts Joint Practice 8/22

1 hour ago, w87r said:

Despite practice ending how it did, this was pretty cool.

AR listening in on some advice to DBs.

the fact AR is listening to the DBs get coached up is insane. 

We went from a QB who gave up on playing football, to vets ring chasing, now to a kid that absolutely loves the game and is obsessed with it. couldn't have asked for a better draft tbh 

1 minute ago, Colt.45 said:

how much older is Harrison compared to Wayne?

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, AKB said:

the fact AR is listening to the DBs get coached up is insane. 

We went from a QB who gave up on playing football, to vets ring chasing, now to a kid that absolutely loves the game and is obsessed with it. couldn't have asked for a better draft tbh 

how much older is Harrison compared to Wayne?

Wayne is 44.  Harrison is 50.

16 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Nate Atkins has his video, from todays practice, up on IndyStar ...which I just watched

https://www.indystar.com/videos/sports/nfl/colts/2023/08/22/colts-eagles-joint-practice-recap/8368564001/

(for those who do not have the paid subscription, I will summarize):

In his recap, he says the Colts starting O-line had Ryan Kelly back but not Will Fries. Carter O'Donnell was at RG.

He goes on to say "AR is lucky the refs blew many calls dead, because he was devoured from the very start"

says Richardson spent most of his time scrambling to avoid the rush. 

He mentions Drew Ogletree was back. 

Atkins said our defense did a little bit better than our offense. Leonard did not make the trip. Buckner played.

Our Secondary struggled against the Eagles receivers. 

The game Thursday will be a big test if eagles starters on defense play.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1959Colts said:

Nate Atkins has his video, from todays practice, up on IndyStar ...which I just watched

https://www.indystar.com/videos/sports/nfl/colts/2023/08/22/colts-eagles-joint-practice-recap/8368564001/

(for those who do not have the paid subscription, I will summarize):

In his recap, he says the Colts starting O-line had Ryan Kelly back but not Will Fries. Carter O'Donnell was at RG.

He goes on to say "AR is lucky the refs blew many calls dead, because he was devoured from the very start"

says Richardson spent most of his time scrambling to avoid the rush. 

He mentions Drew Ogletree was back. 

Atkins said our defense did a little bit better than our offense. Leonard did not make the trip. Buckner played.

Our Secondary struggled against the Eagles receivers. 

About what I expected against a top 5 team. 

Our Oline does concern me though. I get wanting to evaluate the players we have with new coaches and so on, but if they go out and deliver another bottom 5 performance this year I’m going to get PO’d. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, stitches said:

The Eagles trenches are what Ballard wishes he built with the Colts. Oh... and they have a proven franchise QB and all pro receivers too.. 

honestly I wouldn’t call Jalen Hurts proven after one year, not saying he won’t be a franchise but gotta see more than one year to be proven at least for me. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stitches said:

Not really. My biggest point on the QBs since Luck retired has been that we should be drafting our next QB as soon as possible. I've wanted us to draft a QB(high) every single year since 2019. And I've said multiple times that I may have my own preferences but I'd give the benefit of the doubt to Ballard even if he took a QB that wasn't my favorite... the process is much more important than my personal preferences :dunno: So yeah... about the QBs specifically, you are barking up the wrong tree here.   

Also, I would like to point out that even if I would have been super critical of them taking Hurts(or someone else that succeeds), this still says nothing about the merit of discussing/criticizing the GM's decisions. Or are we allowed to criticize the decisions only if we were right at the time? Who's gonna police that? And more importantly - do you think this would be good for a message board on the internet about a football team? 

Now that is context. Well said.

Yes, criticism isn’t a crime……yet.

Having said that criticism in hindsight is still not the best argument.

Very few folks, Eagles fans included, expected Hurts to be a franchise quarterback.

Frank has as much to blame to take on Wentz, Rivers and Ryan…..Ballards and Irsays fault is listening and trusting in said decisions. 

Hopefully the Richardson pick rights the ship and mindset of a lot of critics.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

The game Thursday will be a big test if eagles starters on defense play.

I'm hoping all available starters play in this game for both teams on both sides of the ball, and Steichen shows the ability to light a fire under their ***! 

I want to see some toughness and to return the favor of popping some pads on the Eagles after today's performance.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RollerColt said:

I remember it was a huge debate this past spring on accuracy. I’m of the camp that it can be improved with the right teaching and repetitions. To me, he is so young and that’s not a detriment but actually a positive. He’s coachable and willing to take advice and criticism. 

I somewhat see what you’re saying a little but man it would be nice if his throwing technique wasn’t so godawful.  It’s hard to overcome all those bad habits over all these years.  He could do it.  

I didn’t follow Allen.  IDK if he was an inaccurate thrower or his comp% was low for a variety of other reasons.  Do you know or does anyone?

ARs combine revealed his inaccuracy even when throwing on air.  His deep ball ability is pretty astounding but that doesn’t thrill me.  Hopefully he will clean up that awful tech.

you said you coached.  The tech is pretty obviously bad.

i coached wrestling for years but the tech I learned and taught in the 80s thru 2010ish got largely surpassed so when my own son expressed interest I took him to the academy to have them teach him right from the get go.  I didn’t show him much of my stuff .  Bad habits in tech are hard to correct and ar has a lot of them. 

so I’m hopeful for AR he has obvious physical tools but I’m not overly impressed with the kid yet.  He’s got a long way to go.

6 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

Yeah. Nick Sirianni has quickly become one of the most despicable characters on my list of the league.

Right up there where it used to be only Brady and Belichick

Glad I'm not the only one. I was so happy the chiefs took them out in the Superbowl. And how anticlimactic the ending was, was even better lolhaha

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I somewhat see what you’re saying a little but man it would be nice if his throwing technique wasn’t so godawful.  It’s hard to overcome all those bad habits over all these years.  He could do it.  

I didn’t follow Allen.  IDK if he was an inaccurate thrower or his comp% was low for a variety of other reasons.  Do you know or does anyone?

ARs combine revealed his inaccuracy even when throwing on air.  His deep ball ability is pretty astounding but that doesn’t thrill me.  Hopefully he will clean up that awful tech.

you said you coached.  The tech is pretty obviously bad.

i coached wrestling for years but the tech I learned and taught in the 80s thru 2010ish got largely surpassed so when my own son expressed interest I took him to the academy to have them teach him right from the get go.  I didn’t show him much of my stuff .  Bad habits in tech are hard to correct and ar has a lot of them. 

so I’m hopeful for AR he has obvious physical tools but I’m not overly impressed with the kid yet.  He’s got a long way to go.

He's obviously raw and needs work. It's not impossible to overcome his weaknesses, but it's going to be difficult. And one training camp isn't going to suddenly switch him into an accurate passer. 

AR does have the top of line coaching to get better. It's indeed a long way to go and will take years. The biggest question will be can the fan base and the organization be patient enough to see it through all the way? 

I guess we'll find out eventually. 

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

He's obviously raw and needs work. It's not impossible to overcome his weaknesses, but it's going to be difficult. And one training camp isn't going to suddenly switch him into an accurate passer. 

AR does have the top of line coaching to get better. It's indeed a long way to go and will take years. The biggest question will be can the fan base and the organization be patient enough to see it through all the way? 

I guess we'll find out eventually. 

Yep and really what’s the real harm if he’s terrible and not ready?  We aren’t likely to win many games in any case this year, if Ar isn’t good, we can try to get that dude everyone’s talking about next year or manning or someone after that.

Just now, Nickster said:

Yep and really what’s the real harm if he’s terrible and not ready?  We aren’t likely to win many games in any case this year, if Ar isn’t good, we can try to get that dude everyone’s talking about next year or manning or someone after that.

You wouldn't hear me crying if we ended up with Williams, or Maye... or hell maybe Manning in what? 2026 or 27? 

I do hope AR improves, I like the kid. He's got a good heart. It'd be nice to have some stability and positive vibes around here for a change. 

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

You wouldn't hear me crying if we ended up with Williams, or Maye... or hell maybe Manning in what? 2026 or 27? 

I do hope AR improves, I like the kid. He's got a good heart. It'd be nice to have some stability and positive vibes around here for a change. 

Me too.  He’s got tools.  

2 hours ago, Nickster said:

What’s the real harm?    Too many to count.   

If AR is such a spectacular failure that the decision is made to move on after just one season,  here’s what happens….

Ballard is fired.    If he’s blown the AR pick he would not be allowed to pick the next QB.   It’s unclear if his replacement is on the staff?  Dodds and Brown were very pro-Richardson.   In short, the Colts will need a new GM and perhaps a whole new front office.

Now the entire franchise is in complete disarray.  Steichen needs a new boss and scouts to find him talent for the very good 24 draft.  

Making a decision about a quarterback after one season is rarely done because it’s a terrible idea.  In roughly 35 years, I can think of twice.   One worked, the other, not so much.   Dallas picked Aikman and the next year picked Steve Walsh.  Not to be his replacement, but to flip for a better deal.   That worked.   The other, Arizona picked Josh Rosen,  then quickly moved on for Kyle Murray to go with new HC, Cliff Kinsbury.   Murray was better than Rosen, but is now viewed as a disappointment that Arizona will move on from in a year, and Kingsbury was fired as the HC.   So that one didn’t work out.  

Judging quarterbacks properly takes time and patience.   What if the Colts trade AR and he blossoms for his next team?   The Colts would rightfully be viewed as a laughing stock.   You’ve already called the Colts a hot mess.   If the Colts move on from AR after one year,  the view of the Colts would be 1000 percent worse and that might be an understatement.  Laughing Stock would be kind.  

Easy answers to complicated questions rarely work out. 

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

If AR is such a spectacular failure that the decision is made to move on after just one season,  here’s what happens….

Ballard is fired.    If he’s blown the AR pick he would not be allowed to pick the next QB.   It’s unclear if his replacement is on the staff?  Dodds and Brown were very pro-Richardson.   In short, the Colts will need a new GM and perhaps a whole new front office.

Now the entire franchise is in complete disarray.  Steichen needs a new boss and scouts to find him talent for the very good 24 draft.  

Making a decision about a quarterback after one season is rarely done because it’s a terrible idea.  In roughly 35 years, I can think of twice.   One worked, the other, not so much.   Dallas picked Aikman and the next year picked Steve Walsh.  Not to be his replacement, but to flip for a better deal.   That worked.   The other, Arizona picked Josh Rosen,  then quickly moved on for Kyle Murray to go with new HC, Cliff Kinsbury.   Murray was better than Rosen, but is now viewed as a disappointment that Arizona will move on from in a year, and Kingsbury was fired as the HC.   So that one didn’t work out.  

Judging quarterbacks properly takes time and patience.   What if the Colts trade AR and he blossoms for his next team?   The Colts would rightfully be viewed as a laughing stock.   You’ve already called the Colts a hot mess.   If the Colts move on from AR after one year,  the view of the Colts would be 1000 percent worse and that might be an understatement.  Laughing Stock would be kind.  

forgive the typos I used an iPad and ain’t going back to fix it all lol.

Well man all,I’m saying is from time to time it’s pretty obvious guys aren’t going to work out.  Lots of high picks over the years have been jettisoned quickly.  I’m not saying AR will be one of these guys.  But he might.  Guys that come to mind off the top of my head are akili smith, heart Schuler, the LSu guy even before the purple drank.

Don’t get all mad man I’m not an AR hater but sometimes mistakes are obvious. That’s all I’m saying.  If AR isn’t good in a couple of years we will be a disaster of a franchise.

If AR shows promise and we still compete for the 1st pick I would not be against them taking this dude that everyone loves next year if he looked like one of those really really highly rated QBs.  You would be able to trade a potentially great AR for someone you thougt was better.  Ar is going to struggle and we have a lot of holes and Question marks.  Manning was 3 and 13 but showed plenty of promise his rookie year.  Lawrence was bad but looks pretty good.

would you keep AR if you had a chance to draft a polished stud like manning or luck?

I wouldn’t man.  You could get a mint for AR and have a guy you like better. I don’t see how you could pass that up.

im not saying this guy is that kind of player, I’d don’t follow CFB much and don’t even know his name, but if you rated him like that I don’t know how you could not make that move.

IM NOT AGAIST AR MAN.  I’m just saying sometimes a better option presents itself. 

look if there was a manning luck Lawrence rated type of guy coming out of college that every one was pretty sure of you’d have to take him wouldn’t you 

42 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

And NCF there may not be many that drafted a guy the next year but there is a hell of a lot of them that would have been better off doing so.

it doesn’t take as long for QBs to develop nowadays either. It’s a different era man.

5 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Now that is context. Well said.

Yes, criticism isn’t a crime……yet.

Having said that criticism in hindsight is still not the best argument.

Very few folks, Eagles fans included, expected Hurts to be a franchise quarterback.

Frank has as much to blame to take on Wentz, Rivers and Ryan…..Ballards and Irsays fault is listening and trusting in said decisions. 

Hopefully the Richardson pick rights the ship and mindset of a lot of critics.

In fairness Rivers worked.  Ryan was loved by everyone when they made the move and thought it was perfect.  It just didn’t work out.   That happens sometimes.  The one that they really missed on was Wentz.  That’s the one that hurt the most and I think ultimately took Reich down.  I don’t think Irsay really trusted Reich again after that.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Agreed. It almost requires things outside of football to be going really bad for them to give up on Richardson after just 1 season IMO. Like... bad attitude and work ethic... or football-wise complete and utter failure to grasp concepts and execute the offense, Zero progress made, etc. 

With that said... IMO it would be almost criminal to have the chance to draft Williams and not do it. If that happens, the onus would be on the other side of the equation, IMO... it would be on Richardson having to provide serious reasons as to why despite horrible record with him the Colts wouldn't draft the generational prospect. And this is coming from one of the biggest Richardson supporters here... :dunno:

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, stitches said:

Agreed. It almost requires things outside of football to be going really bad for them to give up on Richardson after just 1 season IMO. Like... bad attitude and work ethic... or football-wise complete and utter failure to grasp concepts and execute the offense, Zero progress made, etc. 

With that said... IMO it would be almost criminal to have the chance to draft Williams and not do it. If that happens, the onus would be on the other side of the equation, IMO... it would be on Richardson having to provide serious reasons as to why despite horrible record with him the Colts wouldn't draft the generational prospect. And this is coming from one of the biggest Richardson supporters here... :dunno:

I think if Richardson is meeting or beating expectations but for some odd reason the Colts are picking first, my one idea might be this….

Set-up a trade ahead of time.   Draft Williams first overall and trade him to another top-3/5 team and collect a boat load of compensation.   Picks and good players, almost too many to count.   Stick with Richardson and that trade is the basis for a very fast build up around him.  

Of course, if you think Richardson’s ceiling is high but Williams or Maye are dramatically higher, then you do the reverse.   Trade AR for a good load, certainly much more than the one first round pick that the Colts spent and build around one of the new kids.   But you’ll have to always hope that you didn’t trade the wrong guy.   The combination of rare raw talent plus super high character plus intelligence is just sooo tantalizing….   Can you really trade a Unicorn? 

4 hours ago, Nickster said:

forgive the typos I used an iPad and ain’t going back to fix it all lol.

Well man all,I’m saying is from time to time it’s pretty obvious guys aren’t going to work out.  Lots of high picks over the years have been jettisoned quickly.  I’m not saying AR will be one of these guys.  But he might.  Guys that come to mind off the top of my head are akili smith, heart Schuler, the LSu guy even before the purple drank.

Don’t get all mad man I’m not an AR hater but sometimes mistakes are obvious. That’s all I’m saying.  If AR isn’t good in a couple of years we will be a disaster of a franchise.

If AR shows promise and we still compete for the 1st pick I would not be against them taking this dude that everyone loves next year if he looked like one of those really really highly rated QBs.  You would be able to trade a potentially great AR for someone you thougt was better.  Ar is going to struggle and we have a lot of holes and Question marks.  Manning was 3 and 13 but showed plenty of promise his rookie year.  Lawrence was bad but looks pretty good.

would you keep AR if you had a chance to draft a polished stud like manning or luck?

I wouldn’t man.  You could get a mint for AR and have a guy you like better. I don’t see how you could pass that up.

im not saying this guy is that kind of player, I’d don’t follow CFB much and don’t even know his name, but if you rated him like that I don’t know how you could not make that move.

IM NOT AGAIST AR MAN.  I’m just saying sometimes a better option presents itself. 

look if there was a manning luck Lawrence rated type of guy coming out of college that every one was pretty sure of you’d have to take him wouldn’t you 

Don’t be surprised, but this is a good, fair response.  And not that far from my viewpoint that I just wrote to Stiches.    So our view isn’t that far off.   See my post, it’s the one right above this one.   An easy scroll up. 

As for any typos….  Been there, made my share!   No worries. 

5 hours ago, Nickster said:

And NCF there may not be many that drafted a guy the next year but there is a hell of a lot of them that would have been better off doing so.

it doesn’t take as long for QBs to develop nowadays either. It’s a different era man.

Sorry, we part company here…

I think you have a fans perspective.   As for not taking long to develop quarterbacks these days I don’t believe there are meaningful stats to back that up.  

I don't think you take Williams over AR if AR first year is clunky but he shows enough of the promise you thought was there. Because you (Morocco Brown) called AR a generational prospect, a purple unicorn type player. And you admitted and acknowledged in your own evaluation that the draft selection was based on what you thought he could be in the near future. If what you saw is there, even if the year was rough I'd say stay with him and continue to mold.

On the flip side if everything you saw in year 1 convinced you he's not near as close as you thought then yes you'd be better suited to take Caleb Williams and few would blame you. Overall I'd be careful about the grass is greener take if I've already got someone I think is generational in the saddle. Now if I've got a Tannehill/Sam Darnold type as my signal caller, he played well, but I know his ceiling is only going so far then I'm moving on either way. Whether he did well or not.

57 minutes ago, krunk said:

I don't think you take Williams over AR if AR first year is clunky but he shows enough of the promise you thought was there. Because you (Morocco Brown) called AR a generational prospect, a purple unicorn type player. And you admitted and acknowledged in your own evaluation that the draft selection was based on what you thought he could be in the near future. If what you saw is there, even if the year was rough I'd say stay with him and continue to mold.

Totally agree.  I really don’t rate CFB players myself. Dont watch much and loved Ryan Leafs arm talent  lol.   However not everything said in public is actually believed and some times beliefs change in my experience.

57 minutes ago, krunk said:

On the flip side if everything you saw in year 1 convinced you he's not near as close as you thought then yes you'd be better suited to take Caleb Williams and few would blame you. Overall I'd be careful about the grass is greener take if I've already got someone I think is generational in the saddle. Now if I've got a Tannehill/Sam Darnold type as my signal caller, he played well, but I know his ceiling is only going so far then I'm moving on either way. Whether he did well or not.

again agree .  There have been way more high picks that were not worth it at QB whose teams would have been better off taking another Chance.  Buying another lottery ticket so to speak.  That is something I’d personally consider if I were drafting.  The QB is so I important that you take more than one chance.  Caleb Williams is the dude of the month right now.  Sometimes the flavor of the month is epiphanous, more often it’s meh.  Never seen him play I’ve just noticed he’s highly rated.  Ratings aren’t everything by any stretch.

As far as what I see in AR this is my assessment.  The inaccuracy and throwing technique is startling for a serious NFL starter prospect.  This isn’t news.  It’s evident on tape from college, in the combine session, and so far on air and in a red shirt in camp.

He throws an accurate deep ball, that’s impressive and is big and straight line fast.  He didn’t do agility drills so I doubt he has the elite lateral quickness of LJ, AL, and PM.  Me personally I’d rather have lateral quickness than straight speed for my QB and frankly all or most of my players. But I haven’t seen him enough to judge this.  When I watched a CFB tape someone posted here I wasn’t paying attention to that.  It will be pretty evident early what kind of lateral quickness he has because he’s going to be under tremendous pressure unless this line shows that’s it’s going to be better than the last 2 years.  Camp reports don’t indicate that that is evident.  We will see.

what is also jumping off the tape of AR is he doesn’t seem to panic.  That I’ve said since the first time I watched him.  That’s a great trait.

but you can be calm and still not be able to decide where and or be able get the ball to where it needs to go accurately and on time.  An encouraging thing here is that new cognitive test.  He evidently is a quick processor.  That’s a great trait.

He seems to be a nice kid which will be nice if he’s good .  But on the list of things I want to see for my franchise QB, a nice guy image is the least important.

I hope he’s great, but I also hope we move quickly if it becomes evident that he’s not going to be the guy.  Many times as a fan  it seems to me that teams would have been better off moving on quickly.  

As far as the drafting a better prospect thing if your in love with  Williams type of guy, I don’t see how you pass that up unless a guy has a Marino like rookie year.

14 hours ago, RollerColt said:

Richardson continues to impress me with his maturity especially after a day like today where tempers were flaring. He seems very level headed and patient. I’m telling you guys he really has the disposition to be something special as long as he keeps working hard. 

I'll add build the team around him.