Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How are other rookie qb doing??

Trace Pyott

36 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Pierce is very good, if he is healthy fully after the injury. However, he's not elite and got shut down in few games.. But, Singletary and he could help their offense fair enough to not having to rely on CJ all the time 

I would probably be looking at bringing Dalvin Cook aboard maybe. Wouldn't be opposed to it if I were them. I think Pierce is good but lacks speed and I think Singletary is ok. I think Houston needs another piece.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

I would probably be looking at bringing Dalvin Cook aboard maybe. Wouldn't be opposed to it if I were them. I think Pierce is good but lacks speed and I think Singletary is ok. I think Houston needs another piece.

Pierce is better than Dalvin Cook at this point, and Cook is much more expensive. There's no need to sign Dalvin if you're the Texans GM. They have weaknesses, but RB isn't one of them.

17 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Pierce is better than Dalvin Cook at this point, and Cook is much more expensive. There's no need to sign Dalvin if you're the Texans GM. They have weaknesses, but RB isn't one of them.

Pierce is a slow but tough runner with good stats, but He's not going to take over a game and give you what you need in terms of breaking long runs. They have an average to solid backfield but I don't see it as one you can lean on when it comes to taking heat off a rookie. I think they need a bit more than that especially if issues with pass blocking remain consistent. The expectation is the line is supposed to be good so hopefully that pans out.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

Pierce is a slow but tough runner with good stats, but He's not going to take over a game and give you what you need in terms of breaking long runs. They have an average to solid backfield but I don't see it as one you can lean on when it comes to taking heat off a rookie. I think they need a bit more than that especially if issues with pass blocking remain consistent. The expectation is the line is supposed to be good so hopefully that pans out.

That's exactly what I don't understand regarding the RB market and how NFL teams think of not paying them.

What you said about Houston running game is true, that Pierce and Singletary aren't home run threats. That's how Colts running game would look like without JT. That's exactly how Vikings offense would look like this upcoming season without Cook. There are very few RBs who can consistently break out a 50+ run plays with or without a plan to change the course of the games out of nowhere, like how it helped Vikings beat Colts and Bills last year in very tough dog fights. Vikings this season will miss that and it will impact the threat in passing game efficiency as well.

As much as the league turns into a more passing game, the ability of your team's RBs to break out a long run needs to be in the minds of opposing defenses to win many games. Teams just can't pass all the time to win unless they have someone like Mahomes or they know how to efficiently use their RBs like SF or Philly.

Rest of the teams and most of the head coaches and OCs would struggle to string together plays without very good RBs. It's easier for fans to talk so much about being able to do without great RBs in the off-season, but come game day threads, you'll see frustration taken out on the QB or coaches or GM that the offense doesn't work out the way they thought imagining teams like KC, PHI or SF. Even SF went out and paid the top RB handsomely giving up so much in trade.

I understand not giving RBs too much money.

I don't understand the macho talk in the fan forums where they say their teams can do very well without elite RBs like JT. Many of them will turn on the GM or Irsay and blame them for the JT fiasco during the real games, even though it's not entirely their fault. 

23 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

That's exactly what I don't understand regarding the RB market and how NFL teams think of not paying them.

What you said about Houston running game is true, that Pierce and Singletary aren't home run threats. That's how Colts running game would look like without JT. That's exactly how Vikings offense would look like this upcoming season without Cook. There are very few RBs who can consistently break out a 50+ run plays with or without a plan to change the course of the games out of nowhere, like how it helped Vikings beat Colts and Bills last year in very tough dog fights. Vikings this season will miss that and it will impact the threat in passing game efficiency as well.

As much as the league turns into a more passing game, the ability of your team's RBs to break out a long run needs to be in the minds of opposing defenses to win many games. Teams just can't pass all the time to win unless they have someone like Mahomes or they know how to efficiently use their RBs like SF or Philly.

Rest of the teams and most of the head coaches and OCs would struggle to string together plays without very good RBs. It's easier for fans to talk so much about being able to do without great RBs in the off-season, but come game day threads, you'll see frustration taken out on the QB or coaches or GM that the offense doesn't work out the way they thought imagining teams like KC, PHI or SF. Even SF went out and paid the top RB handsomely giving up so much in trade.

I understand not giving RBs too much money.

I don't understand the macho talk in the fan forums where they say their teams can do very well without elite RBs like JT. Many of them will turn on the GM or Irsay and blame them for the JT fiasco during the real games, even though it's not entirely their fault. 

I don't think it's "macho talk."  I think it's just a recognition of the reality that is today's NFL.

Most of the best teams don't have star RBs.  Virtually all of the best teams have star QBs.  And the limitations of the salary cap mean that, in order to compete for championships, teams have to not only find (and pay) that elusive star QB, they also have to invest their (limited) resources in putting the offensive pieces around him that he'll need to best capitalize on his talents.  And the consensus -- if not unanimous -- belief is that RBs fall lower on that list than do OL, WRs, and TEs.

I would agree with you if some teams in recent years had been in the competition with a run-centric offense (like, say, the Henry-era Titans).  But the ground game has obviously become the supporting act on offenses -- and the impact delta between a star back and a merely good back is not as big as the star backs want it to be when it comes contract time.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, stitches said:

Very nice breakdown… Looks like most of this is down to Patriots defense doing a damn good job and Texans offense not giving Stroud proper support (pass pro and WRs + TEs not getting separation etc).

He will no doubt find flaws in Richardson’s game too, I just hope we put up better support for him on offense or I will be disappointed with our coaches to be honest….

5 hours ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

Very nice breakdown… Looks like most of this is down to Patriots defense doing a damn good job and Texans offense not giving Stroud proper support (pass pro and WRs + TEs not getting separation etc).

He will no doubt find flaws in Richardson’s game too, I just hope we put up better support for him on offense or I will be disappointed with our coaches to be honest….

I also think he's adjusting out of the style of and pace of play from Ohio State into the professional style. I think that's what the deal was with his footwork.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

14 minutes ago, krunk said:

I also think he's adjusting out of the style of and pace of play from Ohio State into the professional style. I think that's what the deal was with his footwork.

There's definitely things that he will need to adjust to. He had 20% pressure rate in OSU. He can expect that to almost double this year. 35-40% is not abnormal for the league. And he's not throwing to 5 1st round receivers either so his 1st option won't be as open as it was in OSU and overall the difference between his WRs and the defenses he faces will probably be reversed compared to what he had in college... at least in the beginning of his career. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stitches said:

There's definitely things that he will need to adjust to. He had 20% pressure rate in OSU. He can expect that to almost double this year. 35-40% is not abnormal for the league. And he's not throwing to 5 1st round receivers either so his 1st option won't be as open as it was in OSU and overall the difference between his WRs and the defenses he faces will probably be reversed compared to what he had in college... at least in the beginning of his career. 

From the way he has to read the field, to the different types of drop back steps, to making plays on the run when they bootleg him out. And just having to adjust to playing under center.  It did seem like he was a bit nervous.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

It was basically at the end of the game so I don’t think it was too bad. I think time was running out. Willis out performed him though. They both played 3 quarters I think.

Levis and WIllis played the whole game. I saw Levis sacked at least 3 times. Both threw interceptions. Each had a chance to win the game at the end of the 4th quarter but did not.

• Like 1