Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Training Camp Predictions?

Boss7894

Just try to remember that camp is a zero sum game.  If the WRs are killing it, that also means the DBs are getting smoked.  If the pass rushers are regularly getting to the QB, it also means the Oline isn’t doing their job.

In other words, take all the reports with a grain of salt.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Anthony Richardson will struggle, and we will all freak out.

While that is certainly possible, it is more probable that he will start out as a slightly below average starting quarterback, then make dramatic progress over the next two years. Any 'freaking out' will be solely a fan problem much more than an Anthony Richardson problem.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CoachLite said:

While that is certainly possible, it is more probable that he will start out as a slightly below average starting quarterback, then make dramatic progress over the next two years. Any 'freaking out' will be solely a fan problem much more than an Anthony Richardson problem.

I do think this is rare territory for Colts fans (especially younger ones). Manning and Luck were good from day 1. We now have to be patient with Richardson (which is uncharted territory). It'll be interesting to see how quickly he develops, and how the fanbase handles it as a whole.

29 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Very happy about this. 

I'm really excited about our young WR and TE core, but I think the offense will look horrible this year. At least early on.

I predict the defense will dominate the offense during training camp. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

No,  folks like you will freak out. 

and you would rather have Richardson struggle just so you can get the joy of calling people out when they freak out for it. Otherwise, you don't post on here (unless you are calling someone out for something).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

and you would rather have Richardson struggle just so you can get the joy of calling people out when they freak out for it. Otherwise, you don't post on here (unless you are calling someone out for something).

I would hope most fans understand it’s not about wins and losses this year. It’s about seeing continue improvement from him through the season so colts can start off on the right foot in 24.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CoachLite said:

The post was about training camp predictions.   It was not about the next two years. 

I have to be honest, I had never really paid attention to Camp or the Pre-Season since Peyton Manning got drafted and played a few years. They were for the most part after thoughts to me. I used to call camp "light practice" = meant very little at all, and Pre-Season "the Practice Season" = meaningless because it is in the W/L column.  That was roughly from around 2003-2018.

Having said that, since Luck retired, I have paid attention a lot to Camp and especially Pre-Season. Had to in 2019 because of the Luck situation and so on since then. Times have changed over the last 5 years for me. I have changed because I don't take for granted we will be good to great anymore. I want to see Richardson in both Camp and Pre-Season. This is a huge step for the franchise drafting a QB at #4. Even in 2020 I knew we would be good at least for that season because we had Rivers.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I would hope most fans understand it’s not about wins and losses this year. It’s about seeing continue improvement from him through the season so colts can start off on the right foot in 24.

I don't think it will be gradual improvement...

It will probably be very much up and down so at the end of the year 1, fans would be left wondering how he'd look like in year 2.

Gradual progress in right, upward direction is very tough to replicate, especially for a raw rookie QB. We can expect that kind of progress only for QBs who have at least looked ready in college level.

I don't think there will be a consensus opinion on how Richardson has progressed even at the end of year 1, and training camp would likely be little ugly. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The post was about training camp predictions.   It was not about the next two years. 

OK, AR will start out training camp performing at a level slightly below the average of a current NFL starting quarterback. From that rather impressive starting point, he will improve dramatically over a period of two years. IOW, he will perform above expectations of most fans right from the start. That is my prediction.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Solid84 said:

Very happy about this. 

I'm really excited about our young WR and TE core, but I think the offense will look horrible this year. At least early on.

I predict the defense will dominate the offense during training camp. 

We definitely need a guy with his skill set.  Hope he produces here.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CoachLite said:

You're saying he will start out out as a slightly below average starting quarterback? Like at the start he'll already be better than almost half of the starting quarterbacks in the league? That doesn't seem probable to me 

7 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Not at all.   I'm a realist.   I realize he is green and it's gonna be a rough season for him

• Like 1

7 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

It will probably be very much up and down so at the end of the year 1, fans would be left wondering how he'd look like in year 2.

Gradual progress in right, upward direction is very tough to replicate, especially for a raw rookie QB. We can expect that kind of progress only for QBs who have at least looked ready in college level.

I don't think there will be a consensus opinion on how Richardson has progressed even at the end of year 1, and training camp would likely be little ugly. 

He should show enough that fans will be excited  about the future. 

8 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

I think he is going to better than most think. Just based on his work ethic and athleticism alone. He also has a coach that seems to work well with improving QB's. Only time will tell. If he has a bad rookie season it won't be the end of the world, but I think Colts fans in general want to see him progress as the season moves on. Usually by the end of year 2, you know what you have in a QB, whether he will be bad, good, or maybe potentially can be great. Some QB's are outliers and are great as rookie's like Andrew Luck and Matt Ryan were but that is rare. I don't think anyone even felt comfortable with Peyton until he completed his 2nd season when the Colts went 13-3 and he cut down on the mistakes.

I would expect our seasoned and more experienced defense to be further ahead than the offense to be honest. I think the offense will struggle in August and September as everything gets ironed out. My biggest hope is that the offensive line will be more improved compared to a year ago. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I would expect our seasoned and more experienced defense to be further ahead than the offense to be honest. I think the offense will struggle in August and September as everything gets ironed out. My biggest hope is that the offensive line will be more improved compared to a year ago. 

If our defense can carry us for like the first 6 or 7 games, we may end up with a good record even. I think it will take AR at least half a season to get in a nice groove that looks reasonable. We play the Jags on opening day, that will be interesting. If we win that game somehow, talk about the team gaining confidence. Beating the team that is favored to win the division and winning on opening day. 

10 hours ago, BeanDiasucci said:

You're saying he will start out out as a slightly below average starting quarterback? Like at the start he'll already be better than almost half of the starting quarterbacks in the league? That doesn't seem probable to me 

It certainly seems possible to me. A lot of people talk about his mechanics. Those are easy to fix. It's much harder to fix the normal human panic when under pressure that most QBs exhibit. Some people just have ice water in their veins. As long as AR doesn't get the yips, and makes progress on the mechanics, he'll be fine.

8 hours ago, CoachLite said:

It certainly seems possible to me. A lot of people talk about his mechanics. Those are easy to fix. It's much harder to fix the normal human panic when under pressure that most QBs exhibit. Some people just have ice water in their veins. As long as AR doesn't get the yips, and makes progress on the mechanics, he'll be fine.

So he's going to immediately go from being middle of the pack in the SEC, at best, to one of the 20 best QBs on the planet. Because fixing his deficiencies is easy. I hope you're right, but I don't think so. 

35 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

So he's going to immediately go from being middle of the pack in the SEC, at best, to one of the 20 best QBs on the planet. Because fixing his deficiencies is easy. I hope you're right, but I don't think so. 

You must have laughed out loud when the Bills traded up to get Josh Allen. He was horrible against top tier college competition and his completion % was Richardson territory.

8 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

You must have laughed out loud when the Bills traded up to get Josh Allen. He was horrible against top tier college competition and his completion % was Richardson territory.

He wasn't good until year 3.  I think that's the point we're making

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Thank you. You're making my point. Richardson is likely to struggle his rookie year like Josh Allen did.