Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select QB Anthony Richardson Florida (merge)

danlhart87

5 hours ago, PRnum1 said:

Levis is nothing more than a backup at this point.

33 other teams passed on levis. 

Why would you draft a backup at #4 overall ?

This is a very weak conclusion.

#1 Of course the 20+ teams with established QBs aren't going to take him in the 1st round.  That doesn't mean he's only backup quality.

#2 There were 3 teams looking to take a new starting QB in this draft.  Levis just happened to be QB4. That doesn't mean he's a backup quality.

#3 Of the remaining teams that have aging or unproven QBs that might have considered him as an near term replacement (Minn, Tenn, Sea, Atl, Det, Rams, Wash)... Well, Tenn did try to trade back up into the 1st round for him and eventually took him at #33.  You think they picked him at #33 to be a career backup?

#4 Rams didn't have their first pick until #36.. and Tenn jumped them and Lions.

Slides that that can happen to QBs in the first round because there are so few available landing spots for new starting QBs. That doesn't mean they are backup quality.  Aaron Rodgers had a similar slide.. guess he should be considered a career backup, eh?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ponyboy said:

This is a very weak conclusion.

#1 Of course the 20+ teams with established QBs aren't going to take him in the 1st round.  That doesn't mean he's only backup quality.

#2 There were 3 teams looking to take a new starting QB in this draft.  Levis just happened to be QB4. That doesn't mean he's a backup quality.

#3 Of the remaining teams that have aging or unproven QBs that might have considered him as an near term replacement (Minn, Tenn, Sea, Atl, Det, Rams, Wash)... Well, Tenn did try to trade back up into the 1st round for him and eventually took him at #33.  You think they picked him at #33 to be a career backup?

#4 Rams didn't have their first pick until #36.. and Tenn jumped them and Lions.

Slides that that can happen to QBs in the first round because there are so few available landing spots for new starting QBs. That doesn't mean they are backup quality.  Aaron Rodgers had a similar slide.. guess he should be considered a career backup, eh?

Why didn't the Commanders take him then? All they have at QB are Sam Howell and Jacoby Brissett. Not exactly locks to start.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Why didn't the Commanders take him then? All they have at QB are Sam Howell and Jacoby Brissett. Not exactly locks to start.

I would guess because they like what they have in Sam Howell and want to develop him. Washington passing in the 1st round doesn't support that conclusion that Levis is viewed as no more than a backup QB by the NFL as a whole.

4 minutes ago, ponyboy said:

I would guess because they like what they have in Sam Howell and want to develop him. Washington passing in the 1st round doesn't support that conclusion that Levis is viewed as no more than a backup QB by the NFL as a whole.

The guy started one game. Clearly if teams thought Levis was as highly touted as the media made him out to be, the Commanders would have ran to the podium themselves to make the pick.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ponyboy said:

I mean Irsay said himself if Richardson had gone at three they probably would have taken Levis at four.  From there if people think the Titans traded up to get him in the second round to just be a backup people are lying to themselves.  He might start his career as the back up (and so might Richardson for that matter) but make no mistake he was drafted to one day be the starter in Tennessee.  You don’t draft a QB in the second round of the NFL draft just to be backup.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

I mean Irsay said himself if Richardson had gone at three they probably would have taken Levis at four.  From there if people think the Titans traded up to get him in the second round to just be a backup people are lying to themselves.  He might start his career as the back up (and so might Richardson for that matter) but make no mistake he was drafted to one day be the starter in Tennessee.  You don’t draft a QB in the second round of the NFL draft just to be backup.  

Here's my thought on that and this is my own personal opinion. I think Irsay was the only one in that war room that wanted Levis and I think that was mostly influenced by Peyton. I think Steichen and Ballard convinced Irsay Richardson was the better prospect.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PRnum1 said:

I never said levis was a career back up. Not once.

In fact look at my post you quoted. I said levis is a backup "at this point".

My broader point is levis is unworthy of the #4 overall pick. And 33 other teams agree with me by passing on him

And how do we know levis is the Titans qb of the future ? Maybe he falls to 3rd on the depth chart behind Malik willis

First, the Colts said Levis was worth the 4th pick.   There are video interviews out tonight saying so.  

Second, the Titans traded up about 10 spots to take Levis with the 2nd pick in the second round a year after taking Willis in the 3rd round.   So the Titans would appear to want Levis to become their future.   Whether it happens this year or not I don’t know, but it looks like that’s what Tenn wants. 

Levis was picked just two spots from where Lamar Jackson was in 18.   And Levis was picked about 18 spots ahead of where Jalen Hurts was in 20.    Those two guys are now the two highest paid QBs on a yearly basis.   

Carr and Garoppolo and Smith were 2nd round picks.   Cousins and Prescott were 4th round picks.   Am I missing anyone? I’m pulling for Levis, except the two times a year he plays the Colts. 

I just think there’s way too much bashing of the kid.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

This is just my personal opinion. I think teams saw too much Carson Wentz in terms of being undisciplined in his game and how he took to interviews as from what I've read made him out to be extremely arrogant and a poor leader.

I think that's probably an exaggeration. But I do think there were some question marks about personality.

There was also reportedly some concern about his toe injury, which was something new for me. I thought he was fully cleared medically, but he might wind up needing surgery at some point. I should probably soften some of my criticism of him skipping the bowl game, Senior Bowl, and not running at the Combine or pro day. 

1 minute ago, Superman said:

I think that's probably an exaggeration. But I do think there were some question marks about personality.

There was also reportedly some concern about his toe injury, which was something new for me. I thought he was fully cleared medically, but he might wind up needing surgery at some point. I should probably soften some of my criticism of him skipping the bowl game, Senior Bowl, and not running at the Combine or pro day. 

It was reported that at least a couple of QB needy teams felt he came across as arrogant.  Rather that makes him or a poor leader or not I am not sure but in a sport where they look at EVERYTHING about you it does raise questions about your personality.

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

Irsay pretty much confirmed we probably would have taken him at 4 if Richardson was gone at 3... what a difference a pick makes... from drafted in the top 5 to out of the 1st completely... WOW! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

Irsay pretty much confirmed we probably would have taken him at 4 if Richardson was gone at 3... what a difference a pick makes... from drafted in the top 5 to out of the 1st completely... WOW! 

Yeah that’s how it works.  The Titans also said had the lineman they took not been there they would have taken Levis at 11.  Who knows if or how many other teams he feel like that for on their board.  I think people are reading way too much into his slide.  With that said he’s the Titans QB now.  The Colts have Richardson and I’d rather get back to focusing on him.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

for those that wonder what would have happened.

9 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I don't believe a single thing coming from Irsay's mouth lol, especially when he says Richardson will start this season. Seems like a dumb answer from an owner which puts unneeded pressure on the coaching staff and on a player that may take some time to develop before throwing him into the meat grinder.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I still think it's really impressive that when he got that message, he kept it to himself and didn't immediately go telling anybody and everybody, like a lot of prospects do. Even as we were handing in the pick noone knew we were taking him. He passed a certain trustworthiness and confidence test even if it wasn't meant to be a test. This is incredibly small and maybe even insignificant part of the pre-draft ordeal, but he aced that one too.

I don't think he's made a wrong step the entire pre-draft process. Well, maybe except for slipping on Rich Eisen show that we worked him out :D 

• Like 3

Dane Brugler scouting report on Richardson from The Beast(Draft guide): BTW it's worth buying a subscription to the Athletic only for this Draft Guide. It's probably the most detailed publicly available draft guide out there...  

3. ANTHONY RICHARDSON | Florida 6042 | 244 lbs. | 3SO Gainesville, Fla. (Eastside) 5/22/2002 (age 20.93) #15

BACKGROUND: Anthony Richardson, the oldest of two boys, was born and raised in Miami (Fla.) by his mother (LaShawnda Lane) and often lived with other relatives. He has a relationship with his biological father, but his great uncle (Tanka Lane) was the central male figure in Richardson’s childhood. Tanka, who passed away when Richardson was in middle school, introduced Richardson to football at age 4, when he played for the Carol City Chiefs. Richardson also ran track in elementary school and started playing basketball at age 10. His family moved to Gainesville in 2013 and Richardson enrolled at Professional Academies Magnet at Loften High School, where he studied Fire, EMS and public safety. Loften doesn’t have athletic programs, which allowed Richardson to play sports at Eastside High School. He originally played wide receiver as a freshman before moving to quarterback after the starter broke his finger. After scoring 23 touchdowns (13 rushing, 10 passing) as a sophomore, Richardson led the Rams to a 7-4 record and playoff berth in 2018, finishing his junior year with 1,567 passing yards, 924 rushing yards and 33 total touchdowns (17 passing, 16 rushing). He played the first six games of his senior season before a shoulder injury ended his year, finishing with 1,398 passing yards, 151 rushing yards and 15 touchdowns (8 passing, 7 rushing). Richardson’s senior season was featured on the Netflix documentary “QB1: Beyond the Lights.” Richardson finished his four-year varsity career with 78 total touchdowns (41 rushing, 37 passing). He also lettered in basketball at Eastside and averaged 10.5 points and 7.5 rebounds per game as a junior, helping the team to a 26-3 record in 2018-19.

A four-star recruit, Richardson was the No. 9 dual-threat quarterback in the 2020 recruiting class and the No. 30 recruit in Florida (No. 1 quarterback recruit in the state). As Richardson played high school football in the Gators’ backyard, newly hired head coach Dan Mullen extended a scholarship offer to him after his breakout sophomore year in the spring of 2018. A few months later, Richardson verbally committed. However, his recruitment started to increase during his junior year (including offers from Georgia, Michigan and Penn State), and Richardson decided to decommit from Florida to examine his options. After almost flipping to Penn State, he decided to stay home, recommit to Mullen and enroll early (graduated from Loften in December 2019). Richardson was the first Gainesville-area quarterback to sign with Florida since Chris Stephens in 1999. After only one season as the Gators’ full-time starter, he opted out of the 2022 bowl game and elected to skip his final two seasons of eligibility to enter the 2023 NFL Draft.

STRENGTHS: Big, twitchy athlete with rare arm strength (velocity and distance are both easy for him) … drives his throws to every inch of the field and the ball gets on receivers fast … efficient arm-action release for a big-bodied passer, regardless of platform … displays a natural feel for downfield touch on his bucket throws … promising eye use and made whole-field reads in college … loose and agile to comfortably throw on the move and execute rollouts and boot action … feels pressure in the pocket and is able to step up or make subtle slides/shuffles mid-read … brawny frame and not an easy guy to tackle in the open field or pocket … nifty runner (on scrambles or designed runs) with options to elude using his quickness or power (39 broken tackles in 2022 were the fourth-most in the FBS) … looks like Cam Newton in short-yardage and goal-line situations and can be a powerful weapon on draws and zone reads … explosive athlete (set the quarterback record with a 40.5-inch vertical at the combine) … extraordinary speed for his size to pick up chunk yardage (had at least one 15-yard run in nine games in 2022) or hit home runs with downfield acceleration (six career runs of 45-plus yards) … humble, hardworking and his coaches say he has the “required wiring” to digest and apply hard coaching.

WEAKNESSES: Up-and-down accuracy and still developing his pacing and placement as a passer (misses too many open receivers) … breakdowns with his base, mechanics and release points disrupt his rhythm … lacks consistency with some of the details, like throwing to the correct shoulder to lead receivers … not every throw requires his fastball and he needs to learn how to control his ball speeds … gets himself in trouble forcing things and is prone to JV-level mistakes at times … undeveloped anticipation for routes about to come open … his deep accuracy looks great one play and then misses by five yards the next … eight career fumbles … plays through pain, but he missed time because of injuries as a redshirt freshman, including a strained hamstring (September 2021), concussion (October 2021) and nagging pain in his right knee, which required arthroscopic surgery (December 2021); missed the final month of his senior year in high school with a right shoulder injury (October 2019) … received a ticket for driving 105 mph at 4 a.m. (April 2022) and had to pay a fine and write an essay detailing what he learned from the incident … started only 13 games in college with a sub-.500 record (6-7).

SUMMARY: A one-year starter at Florida, Richardson became the full-time starter as a redshirt sophomore in head coach Billy Napier’s play-action, outside-zone offense. His 2022 season was full of highs and lows (his 53.8 completion percentage accurately reflects his up-and-down play), although his supporting cast was equally inconsistent from game-to-game. An athletic, large-statured passer, Richardson has the arm to drill every throw imaginable with plus velocity, while also using his legs to be an explosive playmaker (had four 100-yard rushing games compared to only three 250-yard passing games). However, he has scattershot tendencies and is more of a see-it thrower, lacking anticipation and relying on his arm over repeatable footwork/mechanics (only 393 career pass attempts). Overall, Richardson’s volatile accuracy and decision-making cloud his evaluation, but he is a freakshow talent with special size, speed and arm strength, and he put enough promising plays on film to be optimistic about his potential ceiling. He fits an RPO or NFL vertical-passing offense that will also utilize his athleticism, but he needs on-field reps and a patient coaching staff willing to weather the early storm

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, krunk said:

Im listening to Irsays conference right now.  He just said if Anthony wasn't there at 4 they probably take Levis because we liked him.  Or trade down.

I highly recommend everybody to listen to this. If you listen with an open mind, you will get some insight into the process. I especially liked how Irsay had some talks with Shane about the weaknesses of Richardson and how confident Shane was in fixing those. 

Fun fact was that Irsay were more confident in Manning than Polian back in the day. Thought that was funny, but maybe that is well known…

• Like 2

The thing with Richardson is, it is almost like getting a guy that just played his freshman year. Florida went 6-6 = average then lost their bowl game. So he will need more reps but atleast he got a full year in against SEC competition. In the games he played in he was electric and made many big plays. He also played great in a win over a great Utah team. He also played good in a close loss at a  Tennessee team that was rolling. He threw for 453 yards in that game.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The thing with Richardson is, it is almost like getting a guy that just played his freshman year. Florida went 6-6 = average then lost their bowl game. So he will need more reps but atleast he got a full year in against SEC competition. In the games he played in he was electric and made many big plays. He also played great in a win over a great Utah team. He also played good in a close loss at a  Tennessee team that was rolling. He threw for 453 yards in that game.

By the way Caleb Williams and USC lost to Utah twice and Richardson beat them. USC had a better team than Florida.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stitches said:

Dane Brugler scouting report on Richardson from The Beast(Draft guide): BTW it's worth buying a subscription to the Athletic only for this Draft Guide. It's probably the most detailed publicly available draft guide out there...  

3. ANTHONY RICHARDSON | Florida 6042 | 244 lbs. | 3SO Gainesville, Fla. (Eastside) 5/22/2002 (age 20.93) #15

BACKGROUND: Anthony Richardson, the oldest of two boys, was born and raised in Miami (Fla.) by his mother (LaShawnda Lane) and often lived with other relatives. He has a relationship with his biological father, but his great uncle (Tanka Lane) was the central male figure in Richardson’s childhood. Tanka, who passed away when Richardson was in middle school, introduced Richardson to football at age 4, when he played for the Carol City Chiefs. Richardson also ran track in elementary school and started playing basketball at age 10. His family moved to Gainesville in 2013 and Richardson enrolled at Professional Academies Magnet at Loften High School, where he studied Fire, EMS and public safety. Loften doesn’t have athletic programs, which allowed Richardson to play sports at Eastside High School. He originally played wide receiver as a freshman before moving to quarterback after the starter broke his finger. After scoring 23 touchdowns (13 rushing, 10 passing) as a sophomore, Richardson led the Rams to a 7-4 record and playoff berth in 2018, finishing his junior year with 1,567 passing yards, 924 rushing yards and 33 total touchdowns (17 passing, 16 rushing). He played the first six games of his senior season before a shoulder injury ended his year, finishing with 1,398 passing yards, 151 rushing yards and 15 touchdowns (8 passing, 7 rushing). Richardson’s senior season was featured on the Netflix documentary “QB1: Beyond the Lights.” Richardson finished his four-year varsity career with 78 total touchdowns (41 rushing, 37 passing). He also lettered in basketball at Eastside and averaged 10.5 points and 7.5 rebounds per game as a junior, helping the team to a 26-3 record in 2018-19.

A four-star recruit, Richardson was the No. 9 dual-threat quarterback in the 2020 recruiting class and the No. 30 recruit in Florida (No. 1 quarterback recruit in the state). As Richardson played high school football in the Gators’ backyard, newly hired head coach Dan Mullen extended a scholarship offer to him after his breakout sophomore year in the spring of 2018. A few months later, Richardson verbally committed. However, his recruitment started to increase during his junior year (including offers from Georgia, Michigan and Penn State), and Richardson decided to decommit from Florida to examine his options. After almost flipping to Penn State, he decided to stay home, recommit to Mullen and enroll early (graduated from Loften in December 2019). Richardson was the first Gainesville-area quarterback to sign with Florida since Chris Stephens in 1999. After only one season as the Gators’ full-time starter, he opted out of the 2022 bowl game and elected to skip his final two seasons of eligibility to enter the 2023 NFL Draft.

STRENGTHS: Big, twitchy athlete with rare arm strength (velocity and distance are both easy for him) … drives his throws to every inch of the field and the ball gets on receivers fast … efficient arm-action release for a big-bodied passer, regardless of platform … displays a natural feel for downfield touch on his bucket throws … promising eye use and made whole-field reads in college … loose and agile to comfortably throw on the move and execute rollouts and boot action … feels pressure in the pocket and is able to step up or make subtle slides/shuffles mid-read … brawny frame and not an easy guy to tackle in the open field or pocket … nifty runner (on scrambles or designed runs) with options to elude using his quickness or power (39 broken tackles in 2022 were the fourth-most in the FBS) … looks like Cam Newton in short-yardage and goal-line situations and can be a powerful weapon on draws and zone reads … explosive athlete (set the quarterback record with a 40.5-inch vertical at the combine) … extraordinary speed for his size to pick up chunk yardage (had at least one 15-yard run in nine games in 2022) or hit home runs with downfield acceleration (six career runs of 45-plus yards) … humble, hardworking and his coaches say he has the “required wiring” to digest and apply hard coaching.

WEAKNESSES: Up-and-down accuracy and still developing his pacing and placement as a passer (misses too many open receivers) … breakdowns with his base, mechanics and release points disrupt his rhythm … lacks consistency with some of the details, like throwing to the correct shoulder to lead receivers … not every throw requires his fastball and he needs to learn how to control his ball speeds … gets himself in trouble forcing things and is prone to JV-level mistakes at times … undeveloped anticipation for routes about to come open … his deep accuracy looks great one play and then misses by five yards the next … eight career fumbles … plays through pain, but he missed time because of injuries as a redshirt freshman, including a strained hamstring (September 2021), concussion (October 2021) and nagging pain in his right knee, which required arthroscopic surgery (December 2021); missed the final month of his senior year in high school with a right shoulder injury (October 2019) … received a ticket for driving 105 mph at 4 a.m. (April 2022) and had to pay a fine and write an essay detailing what he learned from the incident … started only 13 games in college with a sub-.500 record (6-7).

SUMMARY: A one-year starter at Florida, Richardson became the full-time starter as a redshirt sophomore in head coach Billy Napier’s play-action, outside-zone offense. His 2022 season was full of highs and lows (his 53.8 completion percentage accurately reflects his up-and-down play), although his supporting cast was equally inconsistent from game-to-game. An athletic, large-statured passer, Richardson has the arm to drill every throw imaginable with plus velocity, while also using his legs to be an explosive playmaker (had four 100-yard rushing games compared to only three 250-yard passing games). However, he has scattershot tendencies and is more of a see-it thrower, lacking anticipation and relying on his arm over repeatable footwork/mechanics (only 393 career pass attempts). Overall, Richardson’s volatile accuracy and decision-making cloud his evaluation, but he is a freakshow talent with special size, speed and arm strength, and he put enough promising plays on film to be optimistic about his potential ceiling. He fits an RPO or NFL vertical-passing offense that will also utilize his athleticism, but he needs on-field reps and a patient coaching staff willing to weather the early storm

Studied to be an EMS. What a fine upstanding young man we have! Seriously I was iffy early on with Richardson, but the more we learn about him the more I like him. 

I’ve heard a lot of various NFL quarterbacks talk about success equating to the intangibles off the field sometimes being just as important, and I’m getting that vibe with Richardson. He’s got a good opportunity to learn from some of the best in the business. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Studied to be an EMS. What a fine upstanding young man we have! Seriously I was iffy early on with Richardson, but the more we learn about him the more I like him. 

I’ve heard a lot of various NFL quarterbacks talk about success equating to the intangibles off the field sometimes being just as important, and I’m getting that vibe with Richardson. He’s got a good opportunity to learn from some of the best in the business. 

He was helping firefighters out in his spare time. Good kid and he is humble not cocky.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

First, the Colts said Levis was worth the 4th pick.   There are video interviews out tonight saying so.  

Second, the Titans traded up about 10 spots to take Levis with the 2nd pick in the second round a year after taking Willis in the 3rd round.   So the Titans would appear to want Levis to become their future.   Whether it happens this year or not I don’t know, but it looks like that’s what Tenn wants. 

Levis was picked just two spots from where Lamar Jackson was in 18.   And Levis was picked about 18 spots ahead of where Jalen Hurts was in 20.    Those two guys are now the two highest paid QBs on a yearly basis.   

Carr and Garoppolo and Smith were 2nd round picks.   Cousins and Prescott were 4th round picks.   Am I missing anyone? I’m pulling for Levis, except the two times a year he plays the Colts. 

I just think there’s way too much bashing of the kid.  

Jim Irsay says a lot of cooky things, but I’d be willing to bet Steichen and Ballard didn’t actually want Levis at the top of the 1st. They were smokescreening teams and many other franchises didn’t view Levis as a high 1st round QB. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zoltan said:

I don't believe a single thing coming from Irsay's mouth lol, especially when he says Richardson will start this season. Seems like a dumb answer from an owner which puts unneeded pressure on the coaching staff and on a player that may take some time to develop before throwing him into the meat grinder.

well Shane has pretty much said he needs to play. Steichen said last night once they get him in here and they see where he is at during OTA and TC A decision will be made. FWIW thst tweet was worded weird. He meant at some point this season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

I highly recommend everybody to listen to this. If you listen with an open mind, you will get some insight into the process. I especially liked how Irsay had some talks with Shane about the weaknesses of Richardson and how confident Shane was in fixing those. 

Fun fact was that Irsay were more confident in Manning than Polian back in the day. Thought that was funny, but maybe that is well known…

Deja Vu, a la Carson Wentz and Frank Reich... 

I'd say it's not about fixing issues for Richardson. In his case, he's still developing, and it's about giving the right environment and support and technical help to grow habits such as footwork and mechanics, throwing with touch and anticipation that makes him a consistent passer QB. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zoltan said:

Nope. I have never been an anti-Irsay person. I appreciate his passion for the Colts. That said, I just don’t pay any attention to anything he says anymore. 

3 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Nope. I have never been an anti-Irsay person. I appreciate his passion for the Colts. That said, I just don’t pay any attention to anything he says anymore. 

You should probably pay attention to what the owner — effectively the god of the Colts — has to say about the Colts. 

• Like 1

Just now, VikingsFanInChennai said:

I'd say it's not about fixing issues for Richardson. In his case, he's still developing, and it's about giving the right environment and support and technical help to grow habits such as footwork and mechanics, throwing with touch and anticipation that makes him a consistent passer QB. 

That’s exactly what it is…deja vu. They said and thought the same things about Wentz.

Now it’s just in a much shinier, newer package.

The major difference here is that Reich got one season with Wentz and Steichen will get AR for at least 3. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

You should probably pay attention to what the owner — effectively the god of the Colts — has to say about the Colts. 

Why? So I can hear about how Luck will be the Week 1 starter in 2017, or how the Colts are winning multiple Lombardis, or how Wentz is the next guy for 10 years, or how Matt Ryan will be here for 3-4 years. Or how the LAR are some cautionary tale.

I hear what he says. I just take it all with a huge grain of salt. He says kooky stuff all the time.

If he’s saying AR is going to be the Week 1 starter, I am also taking that with a big grain of salt. 

8 hours ago, CR91 said:

Probably a lot to do with it is the team being sold and a new GM and Coach will be brought in to make the decision on franchise QB.  I would not be surprised at all if the front office was told to be conservative. 

28 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Good point. He’s still raw but it’s in a good way because he can definitely develop into something special. 

• Like 3

I really hope that the team does not overuse the whole RPO thing especially early on with Richardson in an attempt to capitalize on the obvious low hanging fruit with regards to his running ability while he gets up to speed with an NFL passing game,etc.

Historically, while those offenses reliant on that can generate yards and points, I think it has been shown that eventually the hits add up on the QB resulting in missed games, possible career altering injuries (think Lamar Jackson, RGIII or even Cam Newton).

I do think the Eagles are going have to roll back some of that stuff with Hurts or it’s only a matter of time before he gets hurt. Same thing with Fields and the Bears.

I would rather have AR5 healthy for a long time so that his numerous mental and physical tools are maximized to translate into a long window of contention for the franchise.

IMO they would be better off to develop his athleticism, speed,etc as a primarily means of scrambling to buy time for downfield throws, beating messy pockets with off platform throws (which he clearly has a unique talent to make) ala Mahomes, Herbert or a younger Russell Wilson.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

I’m sure it’s been mentioned, but I love how this is setting up for AFCS battle royale of 2023 draft QBs.

Stroud in HOU

AR in IND

Levis in TEN

QB2-4 of this class, all in the same division. 

I'm usually really excited about watching the QB youngbloods playing their first season, but I can only really get excited about watching AR and Young right now. haha

I don't think the Colts will be the initial winners of this QB draft, but if everything goes well we could be the winners long-term.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shasta519 said:

I’m sure it’s been mentioned, but I love how this is setting up for AFCS battle royale of 2023 draft QBs.

Stroud in HOU

AR in IND

Levis in TEN

QB2-4 of this class, all in the same division. 

Ballard mentioned he's excited to see how all these young QBs develop. We could become a pretty fun division. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Probably a lot to do with it is the team being sold and a new GM and Coach will be brought in to make the decision on franchise QB.  I would not be surprised at all if the front office was told to be conservative. 

Very possible

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

well Shane has pretty much said he needs to play. Steichen said last night once they get him in here and they see where he is at during OTA and TC A decision will be made. FWIW thst tweet was worded weird. He meant at some point this season.

I think this is the correct approach for a player like Richardson. Get him in the building... see where he is by training camp... if he's making strides and looks ready to execute the offense they are building for him - amazing... get him to play early and gain experience. If not, nothing wrong with sitting him and giving him time to work through things. 

• Like 2