Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Gavin Mock Draft 2023 -- Make your Picks here

Welcome to the 2023 Edition of the Gavin Mock Draft, named after a former Forum member who loved the draft and was respected by many here.

The Draft will take place every evening from 7 PM to 10 PM EDT (Indianapolis time), starting Monday, 4/10/2023. We will start with this schedule and look if we can do half an hour or an hour before 7 pm or after 10 pm (your suggestions welcome always). 

The plan is to do minimum 5 rounds, Mon-Fri. If we have good participation, we may do rounds 6 and 7.

Each GM has a 10 minute draft window. We will look to reduce the time slot to 5 minutes from round 2 or 3 if everyone's on board. 

If you do not believe you will be there at your time slot, please send us (@NFLfan, @csmopar, @VikingsFanInChennai) a personal message with names of players in the order of preference. 

If you miss your window to pick your draft selection, we will wait until the end of the day (10 pm or final time slot) for you to get your selection in. If you are still absent, we will pick the best player available that meets one of the primary and secondary needs that's not met yet for the team ( https://thedraftnetwork.com/team-needs) or BPA per the draft board, whichever makes sense the most for the team at that time. 

We will have a locked and dedicated big board and draft pick/order spreadsheet  moderated and updated real time in Google Sheets, that I will upload in a day and share it with everyone here. Commissioners (@NFLfan, @csmopar and @VikingsFanInChennai) can update, and I will do a trial with them before draft starts to ensure we are all set. 

Trade rules

All trades must be discussed and approved by Commissioners in this thread. 

Only pick-for-pick trades will be allowed during the draft. 

No trades for future picks. 

No trades for personnel / players. 

In case of looking to trade up or down, please inform everyone in this thread about your willingness to do so, and take it to PMs with respective GMs if needed, before finalizing with commissioners and getting it updated here and in the draft order. 

If you have any questions or suggestions, please feel free to ask on the thread. 

Here's hoping for great fun this draft season in our Colts forum. 

Draft Tracker and Big Board 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1V_0emwQrSZW3d2clgqdcUZnrW9coKGhc/edit?usp=drivesdk&ouid=106424999949704288912&rtpof=true&sd=true

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

DRAFT ORDER, FIRST Round (before trades) :

1 - Panthers (from Bears) @ColtsGermany

2 - Texans @Jared Cisneros

3 - Cardinals @danlhart87

4 - Colts @coltsfanej

5 - Seahawks (from Broncos) @VikingsFanInChennai

6 - Lions (from Rams) @Mike06181

7 - Raiders @CR91

8 - Falcons  @El Potro

9 - Bears (from Panthers) @csmopar

10 - Eagles (from Saints) @runthepost

11 - Titans @crazycolt1

12 - Texans (from Browns) @Jared Cisneros

13 - Jets @RNGDShobby

14 - Patriots @Archer

15 - Packers @John Hammonds

16 - Commanders @TomDiggs

17 - Steelers @stitches

18 - Lions @Mike06181

19 - Buccaneers @John Hammonds

20 - Seahawks @VikingsFanInChennai

21 - Dolphins - FORFIETED

22 - Chargers @NFLfan @TomDiggs

23 - Ravens @Defjamz26

24 - Vikings @PureLuck

25 - Jaguars @Archer

26 - Giants @Defjamz26

27 - Cowboys @chad72

28 - Bills @Jared Cisneros

29 - Bengals @RollerColt

30 - Saints (from 49'ers) @SaturdayAllDay

31 - Eagles @runthepost

32 - Chiefs @chad72

• Like 1

List of GMs and their teams :

@RNGDShobby Denver Broncos 

@RNGDShobby NY Jets  

@Archer New England Patriots 

@Archer Jacksonville Jaguars 

@John Hammonds Green Bay Packers 

@John Hammonds Tampa Bay Buccaneers 

@SaturdayAllDay New Orleans Saints 

@coltsfanej Indianapolis Colts 

@csmopar Chicago Bears 

@csmopar Cleveland Browns 

@RollerColt Cincinnati Bengals 

@ColtsGermany Carolina Panthers 

@CR91 Las Vegas Raiders 

@stitches Pittsburgh Steelers 

@chad72 Kansas City Chiefs 

@chad72 Dallas Cowboys 

@Jared Cisneros Buffalo Bills 

@Jared Cisneros Houston Texans 

@runthepost Philadelphia Eagles 

@El Potro Atlanta Falcons 

@El Potro Miami Dolphins 

@danlhart87 Arizona Cardinals

@VikingsFanInChennai Seattle Seahawks

@VikingsFanInChennai San Francisco 49ers 

@Mike06181 Detroit Lions 

@Mike06181 LA Rams 

@TomDiggs Washington Commanders

@crazycolt1 Tennessee Titans 

@PureLuck Minnesota Vikings

@Defjamz26 NY Giants 

@Defjamz26 Baltimore Ravens 

@NFLfan LA Chargers 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Welcome to the 2023 Edition of the Gavin Mock Draft, named after a former Forum member who loved the draft and was respected by many here.

The Draft will take place every evening from 7 PM to 10 PM EDT (Indianapolis time), starting Monday, 4/10/2023. We will start with this schedule and look if we can do half an hour or an hour before 7 pm or after 10 pm (your suggestions welcome always). 

The plan is to do minimum 5 rounds, Mon-Fri. If we have good participation, we may do rounds 6 and 7.

Each GM has a 10 minute draft window. We will look to reduce the time slot to 5 minutes from round 2 or 3 if everyone's on board. 

If you do not believe you will be there at your time slot, please send us (@NFLfan, @csmopar, @VikingsFanInChennai) a personal message with names of players in the order of preference. 

If you miss your window to pick your draft selection, we will wait until the end of the day (10 pm or final time slot) for you to get your selection in. If you are still absent, we will pick the best player available that meets one of the primary and secondary needs that's not met yet for the team ( https://thedraftnetwork.com/team-needs) or BPA per the draft board, whichever makes sense the most for the team at that time. 

We will have a locked and dedicated big board and draft pick/order spreadsheet  moderated and updated real time in Google Sheets, that I will upload in a day and share it with everyone here. Commissioners (@NFLfan, @csmopar and @VikingsFanInChennai) can update, and I will do a trial with them before draft starts to ensure we are all set. 

Trade rules

All trades must be discussed and approved by Commissioners in this thread. 

Only pick-for-pick trades will be allowed during the draft. 

No trades for future picks. 

No trades for personnel / players. 

In case of looking to trade up or down, please inform everyone in this thread about your willingness to do so, and take it to PMs with respective GMs if needed, before finalizing with commissioners and getting it updated here and in the draft order. 

If you have any questions or suggestions, please feel free to ask on the thread. 

Here's hoping for great fun this draft season in our Colts forum. 

Tough time for me, but I guess I'm the minority :P

6 hours ago, stitches said:

Same, I will be sending my picks to the commissioner the day of the draft :) 

You often participate with us and you always do a great job. You never miss your pick. Same for @PureLuck who has the same issue. @ColtsGermany As Stitches said, you may send a list of players you wish to pick.

• Thanks 1

Breaking news! There has been a trade near the top of the draft. In what may be a polarizing move, the Indianapolis Colts have traded up from 4 to 3. In this pick swap with the Cardinals the Colts are giving up picks 106 and 138. 

This trade seems to indicate the Colts have determined a target they believe will be at 3 and wanted to ensure no one jumps them.  Most believe this move will be for their franchise QB to develop under new HC Shane Steichen  but don’t rule out them taking Will Anderson as their have been rumors that the Colts will be signing Lamar Jackson to an offer sheet after the draft. The Colts have the cap room to set up a contract structure that the Ravens would be unable to match. 

This trade makes a ton of sense for the Cardinals. They are still in position to take what could be the #1 player in the draft that doesn’t play QB while adding a few darts to throw at the board or could even move back further if someone desires to get up for QB 4 or even Will Anderson, whom many believe will be the first non-QB taken and probably the #1 player on a lot of boards. 

However this unfolds this will definitely be a must-see mock draft for the ages!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No participation from me this year but just want to pay my respects to Gavin! I always really enjoyed his insight and was one of the most vocal but analytical voices in the draft threads back when I joined the forum. I could definitely see him as a key part of the excitement that got me to stick around voice my own opinions every year. I haven’t forgotten him and don’t think I will. I love that we still honor him. :heart:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, coltsfanej said:

Breaking news! There has been a trade near the top of the draft. In what may be a polarizing move, the Indianapolis Colts have traded up from 4 to 3. In this pick swap with the Cardinals the Colts are giving up picks 106 and 138. 

This trade seems to indicate the Colts have determined a target they believe will be at 3 and wanted to ensure no one jumps them.  Most believe this move will be for their franchise QB to develop under new HC Shane Steichen  but don’t rule out them taking Will Anderson as their have been rumors that the Colts will be signing Lamar Jackson to an offer sheet after the draft. The Colts have the cap room to set up a contract structure that the Ravens would be unable to match. 

This trade makes a ton of sense for the Cardinals. They are still in position to take what could be the #1 player in the draft that doesn’t play QB while adding a few darts to throw at the board or could even move back further if someone desires to get up for QB 4 or even Will Anderson, whom many believe will be the first non-QB taken and probably the #1 player on a lot of boards. 

However this unfolds this will definitely be a must-see mock draft for the ages!

Your opening paragraph seems to indicate this has happened.   It’s not being reported anywhere.   So I’m assuming this is a prediction if yours, you THINK this will happen.   I think it’s doubtful, at least how you’ve constructed it.   

I don’t think the Colts giving up only a pick in R4 and R5 is going to get it done.  

The smallest payment I’ve seen anywhere from a reputable source is a pick in R3 and R4 this year, and a R3 pick next year.    That was based on what Chicago paid in 2017 to move up one pick from 3 to 2. 

• NFLfan pinned this topic
2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Your opening paragraph seems to indicate this has happened.   It’s not being reported anywhere.   So I’m assuming this is a prediction if yours, you THINK this will happen.   I think it’s doubtful, at least how you’ve constructed it.   

I don’t think the Colts giving up only a pick in R4 and R5 is going to get it done.  

The smallest payment I’ve seen anywhere from a reputable source is a pick in R3 and R4 this year, and a R3 pick next year.    That was based on what Chicago paid in 2017 to move up one pick from 3 to 2. 

He is not saying this happened in actuality. He is participating in this live Mock Draft. As GM of the Colts in this mock draft, he has chosen to move up to the 3rd spot.

• Thanks 1

Just now, NFLfan said:

He is not saying this happened in actuality. He is participating in this live Mock Draft. As GM of the Colts in this mock draft, he has chosen to move up to the 3rd spot.

Thank you.    Sorry, I totally whiffed on that.   My bad.    Appreciate you clearing that up.    :facepalm:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, funktacious2 said:

No participation from me this year but just want to pay my respects to Gavin! I always really enjoyed his insight and was one of the most vocal but analytical voices in the draft threads back when I joined the forum. I could definitely see him as a key part of the excitement that got me to stick around voice my own opinions every year. I haven’t forgotten him and don’t think I will. I love that we still honor him. :heart:

Glad you love it. Next time you have to play! haha  It was my idea to do this live mock draft on this forum about 5 to 6 years ago and suggested that it be named after Gavin. I hope it will continue.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I agree the compensation for trade looks in favor of Colts, for a team moving up. 

It does look that way when I look at the Jimmy Johnson trade value chart :

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp?RequestTeam=IND

However, the trade looks fair, while looking at the Rich Hill draft trade value chart, which is said to reflect the NFL trades from recent trades of past several years. 

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart-Rich-Hill.asp?RequestTeam=IND

Rich Hill is said to create this chart based on how actual GMs have valued each pick from 1 to 250+, and this trade value chart seems to keep huge variance between picks #1 to #3, and the draft pick value doesn't change too much from #4 onwards, as you can see. 

I wanted to ask for better compensation for Cardinals @danlhart87 from Colts  @coltsfanej, but I think if we are going to start Gavin's Mock draft 2023 using Rich Hill trade value chart, we might as well use the same chart throughout the whole draft. 

I hope it's okay for all GMs. 

Rich Hill Draft Trade value Model, we will use during this mock draft :

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Everyone seems to want to trade down. What does that possible indicate? Is it a deep draft? There is not true top talent? Just wondering from those wishing to trade back. 

Bills have 6 picks, so I'm trying to accumulate an extra pick or two. It is a deep draft at certain positions, others are shallow though. I think generally people like to trade down because Ballard does the same and that's what this forum is used to the last 7 years.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Bills have 6 picks, so I'm trying to accumulate an extra pick or two. It is a deep draft at certain positions, others are shallow though. I think generally people like to trade down because Ballard does the same and that's what this forum is used to the last 7 years.

for everyone trading down, there has to be one trading up though.. but, there has to be enough top talents who separates themselves from others. 

Limited number of draft capital to offer might prohibit many to trade up in the first round. 

I think we can expect more trades as we get into later rounds. 

• Like 1

Just now, VikingsFanInChennai said:

for everyone trading down, there has to be one trading up though.. but, there has to be enough top talents who separates themselves from others. 

Limited number of draft capital to offer might prohibit many to trade up in the first round. 

I think we can expect more trades as we get into later rounds. 

Agreed. It depends on who has who rated where. If someone thinks a player is at a value, they may trade up, if not, they may just wait. Likewise for trading down. Just like there are 32 GMs, there are a lot of people in this mock with very different opinions. What I think may not be what someone else thinks, and they may want to trade for someone that I may not value.

There are more people on here who probably want to move down though, so if someone wants to move up, they have more options on who to move up with.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

I agree the compensation for trade looks in favor of Colts, for a team moving up. 

It does look that way when I look at the Jimmy Johnson trade value chart :

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp?RequestTeam=IND

However, the trade looks fair, while looking at the Rich Hill draft trade value chart, which is said to reflect the NFL trades from recent trades of past several years. 

Rich Hill is said to create this chart based on how actual GMs have valued each pick from 1 to 250+, and this trade value chart seems to keep huge variance between picks #1 to #3, and the draft pick value doesn't change too much from #4 onwards, as you can see. 

I wanted to ask for better compensation for Cardinals @danlhart87 from Colts  @coltsfanej, but I think if we are going to start Gavin's Mock draft 2023 using Rich Hill trade value chart, we might as well use the same chart throughout the whole draft. 

I hope it's okay for all GMs. 

Rich Hill Draft Trade value Model, we will use during this mock draft :

I would say to let the GMs have freedom to trade for the value they desire. There are so many variables when considering trading up or down and it changes constantly with each pick.  A GM might be ok over paying if they have a particular player they are targeting and some may be willing to take less than the charts indicate because they really like the depth at a position they intend to target. 

It takes two to tango, so as long as they both like the beat, I say let them dance. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, coltsfanej said:

I would say to let the GMs have freedom to trade for the value they desire. There are so many variables when considering trading up or down and it changes constantly with each pick.  A GM might be ok over paying if they have a particular player they are targeting and some may be willing to take less than the charts indicate because they really like the depth at a position they intend to target. 

It takes two to tango, so as long as they both like the beat, I say let them dance. 

Well said

44 minutes ago, coltsfanej said:

I agree. With there not being future picks and players up for trade, it's really difficult to just use this years draft picks as trade ammo. The Colts would have gotten demolished in that trade for this year under those circumstances. I'm guessing people trading up will give up less and the people receiving picks to move down will get less. When there's less to trade, it's just going to end up like that.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I agree. With there not being future picks and players up for trade, it's really difficult to just use this years draft picks as trade ammo. The Colts would have gotten demolished in that trade for this year under those circumstances. I'm guessing people trading up will give up less and the people receiving picks to move down will get less. When there's less to trade, it's just going to end up like that.

Yep, and it seems more and more that teams and fans are seeing the value of having more picks. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

On the Vikings site, almost everyone wanted to trade down when we did the live mock draft last week. I see it happening here too.

But yes, if a team does not have many picks, the team may be more likely to trade down (like the Vikings who have no second round pick this year. We traded it to Detroit for Hockenson.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coltsfanej said:

I agree. A few years ago, I traded Adrian Peterson for a second round pick in that year's Gavin Mock Draft. Given AP's Hall of Fame career, many did not want to confirm the trade, saying I should get more compensation. I knew he was on the way down and Jerry Jones seemed to like him a lot. I believe I traded him to Dallas for #36 (4th pick in the second round). I was more than happy with the compensation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

@VikingsFanInChennai  Since @ColtsGermany is selecting first and he may be unavailable at 7PM ET, is it okay for him to announce the #1 pick himself before 7PM? Just wondering...

Yes, we might as well get it started? That will keep it interesting and suspenseful. 

As it's the first overall pick, @ColtsGermanycould go ahead and announce the pick he could be available today and we can start from #2 per schedule.

On a side note, I'm finishing up on the spreadsheet of draft tracker and draft order. I will share it with you online and @csmoparin the morning, we'll do a trial run if you both can update perhaps with the #1 overall selection and rest of us could see the updates from our end. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mike06181 said:

On the lions board we didnt allow trades

that's not bad. 

I wanted to ask you, I followed a while on the board as it went on, but couldn't find the draft order and selections. 

Is there a web page with full list of draft selections that we could check now from that mock draft in The Den forum? 

32 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Yes, we might as well get it started? That will keep it interesting and suspenseful. 

As it's the first overall pick, @ColtsGermanycould go ahead and announce the pick he could be available today and we can start from #2 per schedule.

On a side note, I'm finishing up on the spreadsheet of draft tracker and draft order. I will share it with you online and @csmoparin the morning, we'll do a trial run if you both can update perhaps with the #1 overall selection and rest of us could see the updates from our end. 

Ok. I'm off from work tomorrow and may have some time. I like the Google Sheets idea but I am not sure I am able to update them. We can discuss this again tomorrow.