Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2023 Colts and NFL free agency news, rumors, discussions

stitches

5 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Have no clue who this is but a three year deal he must be good.

Yay. I got one right in my mock off-season. Very good replacement for Ngakoue. He's been rotational player on 2 great defenses and been productive at both spots. Athletic and explosive... can rush from wide 9 spot , pretty much what Gus wants from his right end. Still young(27 I think) and much better in run defense than YN

• Like 4

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think you’ve completely misread me.   I’ve said nothing but positive about the signing.   The ONLY thing I described as average was his run defense.   Otherwise, I think he’s better than average, especially as a pass rusher and ST player.   

My only note of caution was that he typically plays 50 percent of the snaps, so I don’t see him as a 3-down RDE.   I like the signing, the player and the price.   Maybe he plays more for the Colts, I’m just saying as of now, I wouldn’t expect it.  

I think the starting DE’s are Kwity and Dayo.   But I think the new kid will play a lot.   I’m a happy guy!   :thmup:

To be fair, average run defense is a huge improvement over Ngakoue's bottom of the league run defense.

Also, keep in mind that Ballard has done something similar before - taken rotational player who were underutilized and made them starters for us - Jabaal Sheard , Denico Autry...

• Like 2

Contract details coming in for both Ebukam and Gay:

Ebukam:

Basically around $11M in cash in 2023, but cap hit is probably around $5.3M

Then (before incentives), around $7.7M in 2024 and $11M in 2025.

With him having the ability to earn an extra $3M total if he reaches sack escalators and playing time/playoff escalators. 

To have numbers that look like the following is a really reasonable get. Especially with those out-year cap numbers likely jumping:

2023: $5.3M

2023: $7.7M (with incentives making it up to $8.7)

2024: $11.0M (with incentives making it up to $13.0M)

Gay:

2023 cash: $9.08M

Cap numbers:

2023: $3.08M

2024: $5.92M

2025: $6.75M

2026: $6.75M 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Just wanted to thank all you guys for posting latest news from shows like PFF I used to watch it every day before my cable network shut it down I want to say sorry for earlier calling the colts turtles because of slow signings but we have to start the restructuring of some contracts And where is Paris ?  and don't say France Thanks

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Many are excited for this signing and I'm not sure why. Ballard is content with mediocre. Gilly was perhaps the only difference maker on this D and we trade him for a 5th rounder. Ballard refuses to pay for difference makers at edge,WR, QB, LT ,CB which means the Colts will be mediocre at best as long as Ballard is in charge.

We have had  different a different starting QB for 7 years in a row. Last team to do that was the Bears and they had 8. Guess who was on the Bears staff when that happened....Chris Ballard.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ernest Brunelli said:

Just wanted to thank all you guys for posting latest news from shows like PFF I used to watch it every day before my cable network shut it down I want to say sorry for earlier calling the colts turtles because of slow signings but we have to start the restructuring of some contracts And where is Paris ?  and don't say France Thanks

Paris is in Texas.

27 minutes ago, Ernest Brunelli said:

Welcome!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Virtuoso80 said:

Looks like we are sitting at $28.7m in cap space after Matt Ryan cut, Gilmore trade, and the signing of Matt Gay, and Samson Ebukam according to overthecap.com

I just looked at over the cap.   

They had the Colts with less than $12m.   

Can you please double check?   I will as well. 

EDIT:    I just double checked.   I see the Colts with $11.578m.    And I don’t see a single team with $28.7 avail.   So I’m not sure what you’re looking at.   

Have you done the math and thus is your calculation?   Perhaps you’re right?   I just don’t know how you got there.   

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

EDIT:    I just double checked.   I see the Colts with $11.578m.    And I don’t see a single team with $28.7 avail.   So I’m not sure what you’re looking at.   

Have you done the math and thus is your calculation?   Perhaps you’re right?   I just don’t know how you got there.   

I don’t think they have the Ryan cut factored in yet 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TomDiggs said:

Contract details coming in for both Ebukam and Gay:

Ebukam:

Basically around $11M in cash in 2023, but cap hit is probably around $5.3M

Then (before incentives), around $7.7M in 2024 and $11M in 2025.

With him having the ability to earn an extra $3M total if he reaches sack escalators and playing time/playoff escalators. 

To have numbers that look like the following is a really reasonable get. Especially with those out-year cap numbers likely jumping:

2023: $5.3M

2023: $7.7M (with incentives making it up to $8.7)

2024: $11.0M (with incentives making it up to $13.0M)

Gay:

2023 cash: $9.08M

Cap numbers:

2023: $3.08M

2024: $5.92M

2025: $6.75M

2026: $6.75M 

Them be some good deals cap wise. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

They don’t have the Ryan cut figured in yet or the Gilmore trade it appears

Just now, TomDiggs said:

So a bit different than the 3/12 I was seeing on Twitter a minute ago, still around 4 mil average, not bad

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Who is on your wish list?  Top 25 listed:

LB LAVONTE DAVID

T ORLANDO BROWN JR.

S JORDAN POYER

TE DALTON SCHULTZ

S CHAUNCEY GARDNER-JOHNSON

LB BOBBY WAGNER

G ISAAC SEUMALO

ED JADEVEON CLOWNEY

QB JACOBY BRISSETT

WR JUJU SMITH-SCHUSTER

WR ODELL BECKHAM JR.

CB ROCK YA-SIN

G DALTON RISNER

CB MARCUS PETERS

WR D.J. CHARK JR.

T ISAIAH WYNN

WR ADAM THIELEN

TE MIKE GESICKI

ED YANNICK NGAKOUE

S JULIAN LOVE

ED LEONARD FLOYD

S TAYLOR RAPP

DI SHELDON RANKINS

LB DRUE TRANQUILL

S JUAN THORNHILL

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I assume for Dulin to max out his contract at $9.2 mill he’d have to turn into a full time WR and be great!    The Colts aren’t paying anyone (other than the kicker) that kind of money to be a ST sensation.  

My guess is he will have some WR incentives and either playing time or team success incentives. 

but the going rate for elite ST types is around $2.5-$3M a year. That’s what Matthew Slater tends to get. 

so a purely ST contract for him would likely be in that 2-$6M range. 

I’ll be curious to see the finer details when they come out 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

LB LAVONTE DAVID

T ORLANDO BROWN JR.

S JORDAN POYER

TE DALTON SCHULTZ

LB BOBBY WAGNER

G ISAAC SEUMALO

ED JADEVEON CLOWNEY

QB JACOBY BRISSETT

WR JUJU SMITH-SCHUSTER

WR ODELL BECKHAM JR.

CB ROCK YA-SIN

G DALTON RISNER

CB MARCUS PETERS

WR D.J. CHARK JR.

T ISAIAH WYNN

WR ADAM THIELEN

TE MIKE GESICKI

ED YANNICK NGAKOUE

S JULIAN LOVE

ED LEONARD FLOYD

S TAYLOR RAPP

DI SHELDON RANKINS

LB DRUE TRANQUILL

S JUAN THORNHILL

Mecole Harman

• Thanks 1

The Colts' salary-cap space: Stephon Gilmore was a bargain for the Colts in a bounceback campaign last season. So why would they trade him to the Cowboys for a fifth-round compensatory pick? Either they are clearing some space for a big name (LAMAR?), given that the release of Matt Ryan will still leave them with $18 million of dead money, or they just don't see the point in paying an aging cornerback in a year they aren't contending for a Super Bowl. Let's hope for the first option, because it's more fun.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2023-nfl-free-agency-winners-losers-from-tuesday-s-moves

NFL is starting to go on the speculation train for Lamar joining the Colts. Starting to see it in multiple places. I still think there's probably less than a 1% chance of it happening. 

59 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

There's a cap calculator on the site, I clicked on Matt Ryan as a cut and that's what it showed up as.  The other two signings were already figured in by the site already, trade was also figured in as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/2023-nfl-free-agency-winners-losers-from-tuesday-s-moves

NFL is starting to go on the speculation train for Lamar joining the Colts. Starting to see it in multiple places. I still think there's probably less than a 1% chance of it happening. 

I think it’s much more than 1%.  Him posting 3/133 will attract suitors.  I think Irsay is besides himself thinking we could sign LaMar.  I think we are clearing cap space for that very outcome.  More to come today I expect.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

How I feel about the Panthers right now:

Half Baked Boo GIF

That sucks... 

I remember Hurst being a high draft pick of the Ravens. They also selected TE Mark Andrews in that same draft. That was a pretty good draft class for them. Lamar Jackson was one of those selected. It was the last draft for Ozzie Newsome as their GM.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

LB LAVONTE DAVID

T ORLANDO BROWN JR.

S JORDAN POYER

TE DALTON SCHULTZ

LB BOBBY WAGNER

G ISAAC SEUMALO

ED JADEVEON CLOWNEY

QB JACOBY BRISSETT

WR JUJU SMITH-SCHUSTER

WR ODELL BECKHAM JR.

CB ROCK YA-SIN

G DALTON RISNER

CB MARCUS PETERS

WR D.J. CHARK JR.

T ISAIAH WYNN

WR ADAM THIELEN

TE MIKE GESICKI

ED YANNICK NGAKOUE

S JULIAN LOVE

ED LEONARD FLOYD

S TAYLOR RAPP

DI SHELDON RANKINS

LB DRUE TRANQUILL

S JUAN THORNHILL

Issac Seumalo. Been begging Ballard to sign him to be our starting RG. Worked with Steichen in Philly.

• Like 3