Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why not Hooker at 4?

Stephen

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The problem with taking a WR that high is this is a poor draft for WRs.  No one worth taking that high.   

If the Colts can’t get a QB to their liking, I’d take Anderson and he’d be the pass rushing RDE the Colts haven’t had in a very long time.  

Trade back further in first take hyatt then trade up and take hooker

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The problem with taking a WR that high is this is a poor draft for WRs.  No one worth taking that high.   

If the Colts can’t get a QB to their liking, I’d take Anderson and he’d be the pass rushing RDE the Colts haven’t had in a very long time.  

Most likely why Chicago decided to go in favor of a proven vet in Moore when considering moving out of the top 5. 

30 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

4th seems way too high for Hooker given his age and injury. That is the kind of pick that gets a GM fired. I don't think Ballard can afford that.

I agree with @RollerColtand @John Hammonds. Draft another player at 4 and draft Hooker or Bennett in a later round. 

Im not sure what round bennett is going in but he will be a steal as he actually plays the position well. He literally could be the next purdy or brady with 0 hype

36 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Id like to know who those scouts are?   

Im going to post all the published rankings for Hooker I can find later on tonight.  

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2023/03/06/hendon-hooker-peyton-mannings-protg-is-nfl-drafts-sleeper-qb/69974167007/

I said weeks ago I had a feeling bout him. This just feels like Hurts all over again. 

5 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

You don’t take a guy you might be able to get at 35 or moving up slightly from there at number 4.  That’s the very definition of over drafting.

Hurst was in the 2nd round.  He is the definition of under drafted.  I don't care bout over drafting. If  they think he is a franchise qb, you take him when u can get him. I don't think the Colts would take him at 4 but if he was their target, I could see  them sliding back to take him and getting some picks. I think Jalen has opened  some eyes bout qb and so  has Purdy. I think Fields and Lance has also opened people's eyes on what is important  about being a qb in the NFL

36 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2023/03/06/hendon-hooker-peyton-mannings-protg-is-nfl-drafts-sleeper-qb/69974167007/

I said weeks ago I had a feeling bout him. This just feels like Hurts all over again. 

Thanks again.    This is an even better read.    He has many of the great intangibles that Young has.   And I value those highly.   

But I thought the most important quote came from Jeremiah at the end of the story.   Roughly it was this….  “If you told me you drafted Hooker in the 2nd round and got 7-8 good years from him, I think that would be great.” 

That’s the key for me.   Getting him in the second round.   That’s where his real value is.   

14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thanks again.    This is an even better read.    He has many of the great intangibles that Young has.   And I value those highly.   

But I thought the most important quote came from Jeremiah at the end of the story.   Roughly it was this….  “If you told me you drafted Hooker in the 2nd round and got 7-8 good years from him, I think that would be great.” 

That’s the key for me.   Getting him in the second round.   That’s where his real value is.   

It only a value because he is a first round talent

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

Trade back further in first take hyatt then trade up and take hooker

Interesting idea.   

But for me personally, I wouldn’t pass on taking Anderson.   A pass rushing RDE is rare and hard to get.   I’d take advantage of the opportunity.   

If the Colts could come away with a RDE, a QB, and a RG or C in the third round, I think I’d be very happy with that.   

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Interesting idea.   

But for me personally, I wouldn’t pass on taking Anderson.   A pass rushing RDE is rare and hard to get.   I’d take advantage of the opportunity.   

If the Colts could come away with a RDE, a QB, and a RG or C in the third round, I think I’d be very happy with that.   

Going to need a cb

9 hours ago, Stephen said:

Im not sure what round bennett is going in but he will be a steal as he actually plays the position well. He literally could be the next purdy or brady with 0 hype

I would be pleased if the Vikings took a chance on Bennett in the third. He may not last that long. I like Hooker too but not in the first. 

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Interesting idea.   

Yeah, if the plan is to take Hooker in the 2nd, the Colts better not pass on Will Anderson. 

31 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

Yeah, if the plan is to take Hooker in the 2nd, the Colts better not pass on Will Anderson. 

Assuming the cardinals trade the 3rd pick. Given all the issues with carter where does he get picked

10 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Assuming the cardinals trade the 3rd pick. Given all the issues with carter where does he get picked

True. My comment was made assuming he is available. If the Cardinals don't trade the 3rd pick and take Will Anderson, that would be a huge bummer. 

20 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

How about the Colts take the BPA with pick 4 or trade back and get more picks then with pick 35 take Stetson Bennett?  Oh imagine the media annd the fan uproar!

I think the tip off that this could happen is if we sign a quarterback like White in FA in the next few weeks. 

9 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Hurst was in the 2nd round.  He is the definition of under drafted.  I don't care bout over drafting. If  they think he is a franchise qb, you take him when u can get him. I don't think the Colts would take him at 4 but if he was their target, I could see  them sliding back to take him and getting some picks. I think Jalen has opened  some eyes bout qb and so  has Purdy. I think Fields and Lance has also opened people's eyes on what is important  about being a qb in the NFL

If the 49ers had drafted Fields instead of Lance, they would’ve been in the Super Bowl this year.  And now that the league has film on Purdy, his Cinderella story will comeback to reality.  I expect Fields will take another step forward this year but Chicago has never been a QB friendly franchise.  He’s having to overcome subpar teammates and coaching while Hurts, Lance, & Purdy have had top flight coaching and all pro teammates and offensive lines.

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Maybe they could go al in .  Draft the beat available qb at 4 and double and get Hooker  in thr 2nd

1 hour ago, Smoke317 said:

If the 49ers had drafted Fields instead of Lance, they would’ve been in the Super Bowl this year.  And now that the league has film on Purdy, his Cinderella story will comeback to reality.  I expect Fields will take another step forward this year but Chicago has never been a QB friendly franchise.  He’s having to overcome subpar teammates and coaching while Hurts, Lance, & Purdy have had top flight coaching and all pro teammates and offensive lines.

Ah that is the talking point for Fields; sub par team mates.  Great players  make good players better. I c it with all the great qbs. He had Claypool and the tight end but yeah no talent. Nothing in his game leads me to beleive he has developed in 2 years as a passer.

43 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Maybe they could go al in .  Draft the beat available qb at 4 and double and get Hooker  in thr 2nd

The problem with taking QBs at 1&2 is that the first guy has to get as many reps as possible.   Every rep the 2nd guy gets is a rep that the first guy didn’t get.   The Colts can’t afford to get nothing out of pick 35 — whoever they take.   They need some bang for their buck.  

Off the top of my head, I can only think of one time that taking two QBs in one draft class worked for a team.   2012, when Washington took RG3 in the first and Kirk Cousins in the 4th.    I think taking two QBs in the first and second round is overkill.  

As much as I like Hooker, I don’t know what his ceiling is?   Average starter?   Good starter?   Could he be a franchise level starter?   I don’t know.   But he might have a high floor and be decent to solid.   But odds are that wouldn’t be enough.   

Honestly, I’m still expecting the Colts to take a QB at pick 4, or maybe even pick 3. 

39 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Ah that is the talking point for Fields; sub par team mates.  Great players  make good players better. I c it with all the great qbs. He had Claypool and the tight end but yeah no talent. Nothing in his game leads me to beleive he has developed in 2 years as a passer.

The same Claypool who didn’t even get extended by the Steelers?  Who seems more interested in playing games on social media than honing his craft?  That Claypool?  And halfway through last year, the Bears were the #1 scoring team in the league averaging over 30 points per game. That was primarily due to Fields. But 1 man can only do so much.

And are you suggesting Purdy made Kittle, Deebo, Aiyuk, & CMC better?  You didn’t see Kittle bristle in that post game interview when the reporter wrongfully suggested that?  And do you believe that Hurts made Brown & Smith better or vice versa?  Put Fields on either one of those teams for the last 2 years and he’s an MVP candidate. 

I get the age thing, but honestly, before he got hurt Hooker was a 1st round talent. He's got enough arm, size and athleticism. Leader for days. He plays in that weird Tennessee system that's super wide. But he's good in the pocket, protects the ball and put up incredible numbers in the SEC. Incredible numbers. Led them to their first win over Bama. Yes, picking him at 4 SOUNDS incredibly high after his season was cut short and he became an afterthought. But he was playing like a 1st rounder for sure.

The only thing that scares me about him is his long legged running style reminds me of RGIII. Takes big hits in the open field that could turn into injuries...

16 hours ago, Stephen said:

We all know he would be ranked up there with Stroud and Young if not for injury so why not take him at 4. Personally I dont think he makes it to second round. The ravens,raiders,seahawks are all teams who may take him.

It’s too early. 

BUT

If our choices are drafted ahead of our position I WOULD take Anderson at 4 and attempt to trade back into late round 1 to Take Hooker. 

Hooker is older, but he should also be more mature what is needed to lead a team

He is said to be throwing the football and ready by Aug 1

Anderson and Hooker would be an awesome draft start

AND……. If we SUCKETH.  We will be in place to get early draft capitol next year

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

The problem with taking QBs at 1&2 is that the first guy has to get as many reps as possible.   Every rep the 2nd guy gets is a rep that the first guy didn’t get.   The Colts can’t afford to get nothing out of pick 35 — whoever they take.   They need some bang for their buck.  

Off the top of my head, I can only think of one time that taking two QBs in one draft class worked for a team.   2012, when Washington took RG3 in the first and Kirk Cousins in the 4th.    I think taking two QBs in the first and second round is overkill.  

As much as I like Hooker, I don’t know what his ceiling is?   Average starter?   Good starter?   Could he be a franchise level starter?   I don’t know.   But he might have a high floor and be decent to solid.   But odds are that wouldn’t be enough.   

Honestly, I’m still expecting the Colts to take a QB at pick 4, or maybe even pick 3. 

Depending on how picks 1 and 2 go, I wouldn’t be surprised if pick 3 is traded for a huge bucket of picks that CB won’t match. 

I get the sense that Anderson will be a more effective pro than Levis.  ……. But what do I know?

1 minute ago, MikeCurtis said:

Depending on how picks 1 and 2 go, I wouldn’t be surprised if pick 3 is traded for a huge bucket of picks that CB won’t match. 

I get the sense that Anderson will be a more effective pro than Levis.  ……. But what do I know?

Lamar jackson over both

5 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

In order to get a huge bucket of picks, Arizona might have to move back pretty far.    Would LV pay full price to move from 7 to 3? 

I thought Arizona might be interested in moving back one spot so they can still get the top defensive player in the draft. 

1 hour ago, Smoke317 said:

The same Claypool who didn’t even get extended by the Steelers?  Who seems more interested in playing games on social media than honing his craft?  That Claypool?  And halfway through last year, the Bears were the #1 scoring team in the league averaging over 30 points per game. That was primarily due to Fields. But 1 man can only do so much.

And are you suggesting Purdy made Kittle, Deebo, Aiyuk, & CMC better?  You didn’t see Kittle bristle in that post game interview when the reporter wrongfully suggested that?  And do you believe that Hurts made Brown & Smith better or vice versa?  Put Fields on either one of those teams for the last 2 years and he’s an MVP candidate. 

I put up a  good pod cast last week on Fields.  Maybe u should listen  to it

Archived