Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why not Hooker at 4?

Stephen

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Stephen said:

We all know he would be ranked up there with Stroud and Young if not for injury so why not take him at 4. Personally I dont think he makes it to second round. The ravens,raiders,seahawks are all teams who may take him.

There is zero talk of Hooker going anywhere in the first round.   Now you want to use a top-5 pick on a guy who reputable sites seems to think is going in round 2 or 3.   

If Hooker goes in the first — a Big IF — odds are he goes in the bottom of the first round so his team has the 5th year option.   But Hooker is not thought of as anywhere near as good as the other top-4 QBs in this class. 

I don’t know why you’re ignoring all the posts people have made that answer your question?   This isn’t a hard answer to find. 

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

There is zero talk of Hooker going anywhere in the first round.   Now you want to use a top-5 pick on a guy who d erroneously seems to think is going in round 2 or 3.   

If Hooker goes in the first — a Big IF — odds are he goes in the bottom of the first round so his team has the 5th year option.   But Hooker is not thought of as anywhere near as good as the other top-4 QBs in this class. 

I don’t know why you’re ignoring all the posts people have made that answer your question?   This isn’t a hard answer to find. 

Actually there is.

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Actually there is.

Feel free to post it.   I’ll believe it when I read it from a respectable source.   As I’ve explained to you multiple times, the best draft sites see Hooker as a round two or three kid.   You just choose to ignore it. 

Go ahead….. 

Actually Chloe is right, from Draft Kings the week after he tore ACL: Early projections had Hooker going in the first or second round of the 2023 NFL Draft behind CJ Stroud, Bryce Young, and potentially Will Levis, but we can expect him to drop on mock drafts in the coming months

10 minutes ago, NJFanatic said:

Actually Chloe is right, from Draft Kings the week after he tore ACL: Early projections had Hooker going in the first or second round of the 2023 NFL Draft behind CJ Stroud, Bryce Young, and potentially Will Levis, but we can expect him to drop on mock drafts in the coming months

Draft Kings?    

The gambling site?    

Read again what it says.   He was thought of as a possible first back in November.   What has changed since then?   Well, how about a major injury.   And since then, teams have done their homework and no credible source has projected Hooker in the first. 

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Draft Kings?    

The gambling site?    

Read again what it says.   He was thought of as a possible first back in November.   What has changed since then?   Well, how about a major injury.   And since then, teams have done their homework and no credible source has projected Hooker in the first. 

All I see currently is 40-100 range. Age, major injury, and playing in the spread offense are the consistent knocks.

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Add teams like Vikings who have cousins on the last year of his deal too. Bucs maybe. He isn’t getting out of first round. Even a team like TN.

The Vikings are not drafting a QB in the first round. I wish they would but not Hooker because of his age and the injury. I would not mind him in the second or third round.

I really doubt he will go in the first round. Even top prospects like Miles Jack and Jaylon Smith dropped out of the first round after their injuries in their last college games. (They are from several years ago but I remember how they dropped.)  Hooker was not a surefire prospect the way those guys were. He is not going in the first. 

57 minutes ago, NJFanatic said:

I’d take him over AR or Levis, maybe move back but stay in top 10?

Thats what im saying he is way more polished than ar 15 who has a greater risk of being a bust. He even out dueled Bryce young. Hooker can play. He probably doesnt make it to pick 35 and then we are stuck with a late round pick at qb

26 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Draft Kings?    

The gambling site?    

DJ and Bucky Brooks have talked about Hooker possibly going in the first. He’s Bucky’s QB3.

12 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

The Vikings are not drafting a QB in the first round. I wish they would but not Hooker because of his age and the injury. I would not mind him in the second or third round.

I really doubt he will go in the first round. Even top prospects like Miles Jack and Jalen Smith dropped out of the first round. (They are from several years ago but ai remember how they dropped.)  Hooker was not a surefire prospects the way those guys were. He is not going in the first. 

Raiders dont have a qb they may take hooker in the first.

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

We all know he would be ranked up there with Stroud and Young if not for injury so why not take him at 4. Personally I dont think he makes it to second round. The ravens,raiders,seahawks are all teams who may take him.

I remember when Bill Waslh drafted Jerry Rice in the first round and everyone tought he  over drafted him . He like ran a 4.6 and was graded as a second round talent at  best.  Bill said it doesn't matter where u draft a player.   If u like him u go  get him nd it doesn't matter what other people think

55 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Because taking him at 4 would be at least 56 picks too soon.

Hooker was rated second to only stroud in one poll in terms of accuracy. The 4th pick isnt a reach when you are getting one of the best players in the draft

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

There is zero talk of Hooker going anywhere in the first round.   Now you want to use a top-5 pick on a guy who reputable sites seems to think is going in round 2 or 3.   

Actually  u have heard some scouts having him as thr 3rd best qb but his age and injury wil push him down

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

He was going to go in first before that injury. He now will be ready for camp so if he medically checks out teams after the top ten might take a swing. There are some teams who have vet QB that might want to take a swing in a guy like him.

If he is ready to play by camp id take him in the first

4 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

What is their reasoning?

They said he gives them Jalen Hurts vibes. Not in terms of skill set but a guy who everyone else is low on but could end up being real good. They likened him to Geno Smith a bit. Said he could start on the Bucs.

Just now, Defjamz26 said:

They said he gives them Jalen Hurts vibes. Not in terms of skill set but a guy who everyone else is low on but could end up being real good. They likened him to Geno Smith a bit. Said he could start on the Bucs.

His play style is similar to strouds but he is more willing to use his legs

1 minute ago, Stephen said:

Hooker was rated second to only stroud in one poll in terms of accuracy. The 4th pick isnt a reach when you are getting one of the best players in the draft

4th seems way too high for Hooker given his age and injury. That is the kind of pick that gets a GM fired. I don't think Ballard can afford that.

I agree with @RollerColtand @John Hammonds. Draft another player at 4 and draft Hooker or Bennett in a later round. 

I think I watched every single Tennessee Vols games the last two years.  We do not want Hooker unless it’s later in the draft. He is talented but looks good bc of the system. It’s a one read offense that requires very little vision from the QB.  He is also 25 years old playing against people 4-6yrs younger than him.  It makes a difference. Good player but he is most likely not a franchise QB. 

17 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

4th seems way too high for Hooker given his age and injury. That is the kind of pick that gets a GM fired. I don't think Ballard can afford that.

I agree with @RollerColtand @John Hammonds. Draft another player at 4 and draft Hooker or Bennett in a later round. 

Richardson at 4 is the kind of pick that gets a gm fired. Drafting the second most accurate qb behind only Stroud will keep your job

16 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I think I watched every single Tennessee Vols games the last two years.  We do not want Hooker unless it’s later in the draft. He is talented but looks good bc of the system. It’s a one read offense that requires very little vision from the QB.  He is also 25 years old playing against people 4-6yrs younger than him.  It makes a difference. Good player but he is most likely not a franchise QB. 

Same thing they said about mahomes who ran a similar offense

35 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

DJ and Bucky Brooks have talked about Hooker possibly going in the first. He’s Bucky’s QB3.

DJ has just ranked Hooker at his highest level so far.   He’s ranked 50th.   If he goes in the first, it would seem to be the bottom so his team would have the 5th year option.   

But we have at least two posters here who are talking about Hooker being taken top-5 or top-10.    That’s a huge difference.  

By the way, DJ’s ranking of 50 is the highest of the top draft experts.   Everyone else has a lower ranking.   I’ll make a post with the HH rankings later tonight.  

13 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

I’ve been all in on Hooker since before his injury! 

I’d take the best WR at 4 and Hooker at 35 then BPA after that…..

I’m banking on a RT or RG signing in free agency that takes away the need for a high draft pick to be used on that position.

The problem with taking a WR that high is this is a poor draft for WRs.  No one worth taking that high.   

If the Colts can’t get a QB to their liking, I’d take Anderson and he’d be the pass rushing RDE the Colts haven’t had in a very long time.  

38 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Actually  u have heard some scouts having him as thr 3rd best qb but his age and injury wil push him down

Id like to know who those scouts are?   

Im going to post all the published rankings for Hooker I can find later on tonight.  

Archived