Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sign Eric Bienemy for OC?

AustexColt

3 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Isn’t the rule for coaches that you basically can’t make a lateral move to the same position with another team. Thought that was to prevent teams poaching coaches and/or tampering.

Yes, but some teams will let a player take a lateral move for various reasons.   For example, the Colts have list assistants and scouts to lateral moves for reasons like family.   To be closer to family.   Some teams are willing to do that. 

36 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Isn’t the rule for coaches that you basically can’t make a lateral move to the same position with another team. Thought that was to prevent teams poaching coaches and/or tampering.

Eric B isn’t under contract with the chiefs currently 

• Shive changed the title to Sign Eric Bienemy for OC?
53 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Yes but Eric’s contract is up. He’s a FA. Which is telling that Kc hasn’t resigned him

16 minutes ago, AustexColt said:

Sometime later Shane like Nick will pass play calling to Eric. Eric and Andy did a super job in using premotion and designing plays to declaw the Eagles defense. They scored every time in the 2H. Perfect halftime adjustments.

I just don't think he's in much demand league wide.  For whatever reason he isn't that highly regarded.

He’s never getting past the interview phase until he calls plays, that seems pretty clear at this point. And even that may not be able to reverse the trend. This guy gets passed more than an actual football. It’s not like calling plays is an actual requirement to be a head coach, and even still he gets pass after pass after pass after pass, so it’s fair to assume there’s more to it than just calling plays, and even the history talk that goes with him. His track record has remained clean long enough to clear a lot of that stuff. 

Steichen is going to call the plays here, so it wouldn’t do him any favors to come here and not call plays. 

However, if that is a route he would be willing to go he can. He has signed 1 year deals for the last two seasons and the Chiefs can’t block him from anything.

Eric Bienemy is in Washington interviewing for the Commanders Offensive Coordinator position.

Based on what I've read - I wouldn't be at all surprised if he's hired today - and - the contract details worked out over the weekend.

Kansas City must feel pretty positive that Bienemy is moving on - as they have an in-house replacement lined up.

Since EB wasn't the play caller - this would be a significant chance to "sink or swim" by installing and calling his own offensive system.

Best wishes to a quality OC candidate - who can cement his resume for future HC gigs.

14 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

His checkered past is haunting him.

Agreed. I think it's odd that the narrative is anything other than that. Given two coaches that you view as comparable but one has legal baggage that you will almost certainly have to speak to at some point and the other doesn't. Who would choose to take on the extra scrutiny?

7 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

Agreed. I think it's odd that the narrative is anything other than that. Given two coaches that you view as comparable but one has legal baggage that you will almost certainly have to speak to at some point and the other doesn't. Who would choose to take on the extra scrutiny?

Exactly. Nobody dares bring up that point. Everyone acts confused. Head coach represents your franchise and an owners business. If I apply for an important job ,my past will come up.

3 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

His checkered past is haunting him.

No… he signed with Washington today and in that interview, he said it would finally give him the chance to call plays for an offense. Said he hadn’t been doing it under Reid after all…

50 minutes ago, csmopar said:

No… he signed with Washington today and in that interview, he said it would finally give him the chance to call plays for an offense. Said he hadn’t been doing it under Reid after all…

That's great for him but I'm sure all the talking heads knew that so I'm puzzled as to why they are so puzzled as to why he hasnt landed a head coaching job.

11 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

That's great for him but I'm sure all the talking heads knew that so I'm puzzled as to why they are so puzzled as to why he hasnt landed a head coaching job.

There’s been some conflicting information on whether or not he called plays or designed the offense for KC.

but after listening to him yesterday, it sounds like his sole responsibility during the game was making sure the right players were in the game for the plays that Reid would call from. 

Archived