Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Updated (2/20/23): Colts hire Jim-Bob Cooter for OC

CR91

Just now, stitches said:

No idea.... I genuinely think it's possible he goes top 4(to the Colts) or he might go like... 22 to the Ravens... 

Seahawks could be a good spot. Maybe a little to high but having him develop behind Geno might be a good thing. Plus Seahawks will probably miss out on those two defensive guys.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Seahawks could be a good spot. Maybe a little to high but having him develop behind Geno might be a good thing. Plus Seahawks will probably miss out on those two defensive guys.

The way Frank talked about the QB position at his introductory press-conference in Carolina, it felt like he was talking about Richardson. 

5 minutes ago, stitches said:

The way Frank talked about the QB position at his introductory press-conference in Carolina, it felt like he was talking about Richardson. 

That or Levis. If Seahawks don’t take a QB and trade down Carolina might be in a good spot to get that 3rd QB by trading up. Colts have  to watch for Arizona to trade down because they have a old team with a young QB and needs picks. Gannon said he wouldn’t of taken AZ job if Kyler wasn’t there so I don’t think they will take a QB. But colts really need to trade up to one or at least 2 if Texans trade up to one.

13 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

So….  If I understand you correctly, you have been arguing that the Colts should be starting their rookie quarterback from week one.   You’ve stated repeatedly rookies don’t learn standing on the sidelines, that it’s a waste of time.  

You’ve downplayed when any poster talks about players like Mahomes who barely played at all as a rookie.  

But now?   Now you’ve decided that Seattle should draft a quarterback and have him sit behind Geno Smith so he can learn.  

I’m not sure you’re aware this is a complete 180 from your original position that you’ve argued repeatedly.   

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

So….  If I understand you correctly, you have been arguing that the Colts should be starting their rookie quarterback from week one.   You’ve stated repeatedly rookies don’t learn standing on the sidelines, that it’s a waste of time.  

You’ve downplayed when any poster talks about players like Mahomes who barely played at all as a rookie.  

But now?   Now you’ve decided that Seattle should draft a quarterback and have him sit behind Geno Smith so he can learn.  

I’m not sure you’re aware this is a complete 180 from your original position that you’ve argued repeatedly.   

You totally missed here. I have always said the reason I didn’t want Richardson was because I actually thought he needed to sit a year. The other three need to start.

11 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

You totally missed here. I have always said the reason I didn’t want Richardson was because I actually thought he needed to sit a year. The other three need to start.

Fair enough.   Appreciate the clarification.   I don’t share your point of view, but that’s OK.   

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I have a really good feeling with these young coaches and a young QB Ballard I’d shout to turn the perception of him around. We will look back in 5 years and will probably say it was a good decision to keep him.

This will only happen if the Colts find and develop their own franchise level quarterback.   If they don’t,  if they only get a good to very good quarterback, but NOT great, then we’ll be right back to where the Colts have been from 2018-21.  

The right head coach and quarterback will make all the difference. 

50 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Be prepared to be disappointed for like the 30th time in 2 years.

Disappointed?  Why?  Levis has always been my first choice.   Fields could be another choice if the Bears decide to take a quarterback 1st and trade him.  I just want the Colts to make the right decision.  Fields could make a lot of sense depending on how things unfold.  We have no way of knowing right now.  

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

This will only happen if the Colts find and develop their own franchise level quarterback.   If they don’t,  if they only get a good to very good quarterback, but NOT great, then we’ll be right back to where the Colts have been from 2018-21.  

The reason I feel this way is I trust these coaches they are hiring. They have all had success with young quarterbacks. If this fails it will be because they picked the wrong QB.  I haven’t been this optimistic since luck retired. I think Steichen will be more forceful then Reich with things he needs. That will make Ballard a better GM.

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Your last sentence is why teams win and win consistently every year. 

• NFLfan changed the title to Updated (2/20/23): Colts hire Jim-Bob Cooter for OC
1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I vaguely remember an interview with Polian I read where he explained choosing Manning over Leaf.  He talked with a psychologist about the two QB’s and was told Manning had the maturity to handle the struggles of playing on a bad team whereas Leaf could struggle.  I always thought that was the job Decker was assigned to.  

17 minutes ago, Farns01 said:

I vaguely remember an interview with Polian I read where he explained choosing Manning over Leaf.  He talked with a psychologist about the two QB’s and was told Manning had the maturity to handle the struggles of playing on a bad team whereas Leaf could struggle.  I always thought that was the job Decker was assigned to.  

Yes….   In large part.   But, I’m confused as to why you write your response to the specific post I made.   The post I made had nothing to do with Decker.   

Im just trying to make sure I understand your meaning and intention.  

55 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes….   In large part.   But, I’m confused as to why you write your response to the specific post I made.   The post I made had nothing to do with Decker.   

Im just trying to make sure I understand your meaning and intention.  

The QB decision people are talking about is whether we sit him a year or throwing him to the wolves.  Decker would have given us the insight as to how the draft prospects would react to each possibility.  Helping to choose which prospect would be best for us when we are on the clock.

50 minutes ago, Farns01 said:

The QB decision people are talking about is whether we sit him a year or throwing him to the wolves.  Decker would have given us the insight as to how the draft prospects would react to each possibility.  Helping to choose which prospect would be best for us when we are on the clock.

Honestly, I have no idea if Decker would get involved in that specific question.   All I remember is Ballard talking about what Decker would do.  

That football is a game with a lot of failure. You’re taking college kids who have known success in high school and college.   Now on the NFL they are going to experience more failure than they’ve ever experienced in this lives.  How do they react to that?  Not everyone handles it well.   

Also, success in the NFL might not come as soon as these kids expect.  It might take a year or two or three before these kids become the player everyone wants them to be.  How do they handle the kind of pressure they’re going to be under?   The hard coaching they’re going to get?  Those are the types of things Ballard first talked about.  

CB also said back when Decker was hired…. Most teams didn’t have someone like Decker.  And I’ve seen no stories saying that has changed much if at all since the Colts first hired him.   So I’m curious about how he gets replaced?  I don’t think it will be easy as some here predict. 

50 minutes ago, Farns01 said:

Honestly, I have no idea if Decker would get involved in that specific question.   All I remember is Ballard talking about what Decker would do.  

That football is a game with a lot of failure. You’re taking college kids who have known success in high school and college.   Now on the NFL they are going to experience more failure than they’ve ever experienced in this lives.  How do they react to that?  Not everyone handles it well.   

Also, success in the NFL might not come as soon as these kids expect.  It might take a year or two or three before these kids become the player everyone wants them to be.  How do they handle the kind of pressure they’re going to be under?   The hard coaching they’re going to get?  Those are the types of things Ballard first talked about.  

CB also said back when Decker was hired…. Most teams didn’t have someone like Decker.  And I’ve seen no stories saying that has changed much if at all since the Colts first hired him.   So I’m curious about how he gets replaced?  I don’t think it will be easy as some here predict. 

4 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

The reason I feel this way is I trust these coaches they are hiring. They have all had success with young quarterbacks. If this fails it will be because they picked the wrong QB.  I haven’t been this optimistic since luck retired. I think Steichen will be more forceful then Reich with things he needs. That will make Ballard a better GM.

Question:  can you explain what you mean by Frank wasn’t more forceful?   I’m not following.   Some here (and I thought you were one of them) think Frank persuaded Irsay and Ballard to get Rivers And Wentz and Ryan against their better judgement and that is what ultimately got him fired. 

Ballard also got every skill player he asked for:

QB:  Brissett, Rivers, Eason, Wentz, Ehlinger, Ryan

RB:   Hines,  the 5thR back from Mississippi in 2018) Taylor, Jackson. 

WR:    Funchess, Campbell,  Patman, Pittman,  Strachan, Pierce 

TE:  Ebron, the smallish H-back the Colts signed from Philly,  Granson,  Woods,  Ogletree. 

So….   Where wasn’t Frank forceful enough?   Steichen may make BETTER recommendations,  that’s what the Colts hope.   But I’m stuck in your use of “forceful”.    Can you explain please? 

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Question:  can you explain what you mean by Frank wasn’t more forceful?   I’m not following.   Some here (and I thought you were one of them) think Frank persuaded Irsay and Ballard to get Rivers And Wentz and Ryan against their better judgement and that is what ultimately got him fired. 

TE:  Ebron, the smallish H-back the Colts signed from Philly,  Granson,  Woods,  Ogletree. 

So….   Where wasn’t Frank forceful enough?   Steichen may make BETTER recommendations,  that’s what the Colts hope.   But I’m stuck in your use of “forceful”.    Can you explain please? 

Yes he was pretty forceful with quarterbacks. But it seems he wasn’t with the rest of this team. Seem to have a attitude whatever Ballard gave him outside of quarterback he would make it work.

2 hours ago, Patrick Miller said:

What’s the difference between an OC and a passing game coordinator?

Ehh I may not be 100% on this, but generally speaking the passing game coordinator would be the one scouting and incorporating the pass game concepts into the offense each week. 

Tweaks/adjustments/alerts to the passing game based on the opponent that week and what their D has been showing.

But I also think teams are good at creating positions, more or less, to get good minds/coaches in the building. Assistant head coach, assistant OC, etc. 

30 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Has Jim Bob ever been an OC for a team with a QB that rushed a lot? Just curious 

I know Steichen has been an OC for but the question is, who’s really going to call plays?

Who is calling the plays?   Steichen said at his news conference that he is.    

3 hours ago, Farns01 said:

If so, apparently he sucked at it.  Plenty of guys folded like a cheap lawn chair last year.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

See, I'm stuck on how you know it was Frank who pushed for any of those guys other than Wentz any more than a coach usually would.  We have zero way of knowing which guys Frank went to bat hard for.....and which guys Ballard said "you're gonna love this guy Frank"

I know coaches of course have input in draft decisions and player profiles/fit....  But they largely are not the ones acquiring talent.

39 minutes ago, Jackie Daytona said:

See, I'm stuck on how you know it was Frank who pushed for any of those guys other than Wentz any more than a coach usually would.  We have zero way of knowing which guys Frank went to bat hard for.....and which guys Ballard said "you're gonna love this guy Frank"

I know coaches of course have input in draft decisions and player profiles/fit....  But they largely are not the ones acquiring talent.

Jackie….   It’s been all over this website for years.   Both in printed stories the website puts out, plus in video clips that the website puts out.

So….   Just as an example,  in 2019, Reich fell in love with Parris Campbell at the combine.   Ballard and Frank and scouts talked about it on tape.  

In 2020, there were all sorts of video clips after the draft about how the team, and especially Frank, wanted Pittman AND Taylor.   This was documented in real time video.   They’re on the website and they’re on YouTube.   I’m on my phone, otherwise I’d link them.  But they’re not hard to find.  

When Ballard signed Funchess as a FA in 2019 he said that day that Frank had admired him for years and had done a lot of film study and next Gen stats study on the player. 

In 2021,  it was Kylen Granson.  There was a video with the scouts all laughing because it was clear to them that Frank had a man-crush on Granson.  

The stories are all out there. 

I believe you’re new here, but I’m retired media from Los Angeles.   I have time to view video and read stories.   I’m not making this stuff up. 
But you don’t have to be media to see these stories.   Unfortunately, most people here don’t read the stories or view video clips.   The one big exception is the popular video series “With the next pick”.    It’s on this website too. 

6 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I agree we definitely got the right coach and things are going to get a lot better here in the future IMO

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

Has Jim Bob ever been an OC for a team with a QB that rushed a lot? Just curious 

I know Steichen has been an OC for but the question is, who’s really going to call plays?

Steichen is calling plays. Trevor Lawrence has been Jim Bobs most athletic QB.

5 hours ago, Patrick Miller said:

What’s the difference between an OC and a passing game coordinator?

So every team is totally different. I caveat that to say I don't know how the Colts would divide responsibilities vs the Jags vs other teams.

Buuuuuut, in general most people know what an OC does. They run the offense. They might lead the offensive meetings. They oversee and work with the position coaches to install gameplans weekly, etc.

OCs have a major role whether they do or do not call the plays. So Steichen calling plays doesn't lessen the importance or need of the OC. It just means the play calling is one thing off the OC's list of responsibilities. 

Now, as for a passing game coordinator:

So first and foremost, many teams use the title as a way to retain top talent and give promotions. There are position coaches and then not every good (especially young) position coach can just move up to an OC within an organization. So a lot of times teams add these "passing game coordinator" or "running game coordinator" titles/positions in order to give in-house promotions and retain talented coaches. Kind of like when teams make someone an "assistant HC" .

That being said, passing game coordinators are in general what they sound like in many cases. they scheme up and control coordination (especially week to week and within the game) of the passing part of the offense. kind of like an assistant offensive coordinator that is focused just on the passing game.

This normally means having worked through a lot of things. Such as:

- down and distance scenarios (and plays/formations/concepts they would use for each)

- they are intimately studying the opposing defenses tendencies against the pass...if they play zone, where are they vulnerable based on different looks and different in-game scenarios...if its man, how can you design the formations, routes, etc to maximize success against that specific defense and look

things like that.

they dont over-see the entire offense, but they are right there as the right-hand man for the OC and for whoever calls the plays.

you dont see a lot of position coaches w input to the overall offensive gameplan or in-game adjustments to the concepts or play calling as much as you see that from the OC and the pass/run game coordinators.

so clear as mud lol.

as for Cooter, it was a way for Jax to hire him in and have him on staff working with Lawrence and the Jax offense while supporting Pederson and Press Taylor when he couldnt be hired as the OC with Press there.

I dont know if the colts will straight up hire pass or run game coordinators under Cooter, but if they do it would be more offensive minds to aid him and Steichen in maximizing the offense and developing the new QB. Sometimes more brilliant minds on deck is better. but not always. :-)

7 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

So every team is totally different. I caveat that to say I don't know how the Colts would divide responsibilities vs the Jags vs other teams.

Buuuuuut, in general most people know what an OC does. They run the offense. They might lead the offensive meetings. They oversee and work with the position coaches to install gameplans weekly, etc.

OCs have a major role whether they do or do not call the plays. So Steichen calling plays doesn't lessen the importance or need of the OC. It just means the play calling is one thing off the OC's list of responsibilities. 

Now, as for a passing game coordinator:

So first and foremost, many teams use the title as a way to retain top talent and give promotions. There are position coaches and then not every good (especially young) position coach can just move up to an OC within an organization. So a lot of times teams add these "passing game coordinator" or "running game coordinator" titles/positions in order to give in-house promotions and retain talented coaches. Kind of like when teams make someone an "assistant HC" .

That being said, passing game coordinators are in general what they sound like in many cases. they scheme up and control coordination (especially week to week and within the game) of the passing part of the offense. kind of like an assistant offensive coordinator that is focused just on the passing game.

This normally means having worked through a lot of things. Such as:

- down and distance scenarios (and plays/formations/concepts they would use for each)

- they are intimately studying the opposing defenses tendencies against the pass...if they play zone, where are they vulnerable based on different looks and different in-game scenarios...if its man, how can you design the formations, routes, etc to maximize success against that specific defense and look

things like that.

they dont over-see the entire offense, but they are right there as the right-hand man for the OC and for whoever calls the plays.

you dont see a lot of position coaches w input to the overall offensive gameplan or in-game adjustments to the concepts or play calling as much as you see that from the OC and the pass/run game coordinators.

so clear as mud lol.

as for Cooter, it was a way for Jax to hire him in and have him on staff working with Lawrence and the Jax offense while supporting Pederson and Press Taylor when he couldnt be hired as the OC with Press there.

I dont know if the colts will straight up hire pass or run game coordinators under Cooter, but if they do it would be more offensive minds to aid him and Steichen in maximizing the offense and developing the new QB. Sometimes more brilliant minds on deck is better. but not always. :-)

Thanks, Tom!   Good to hear from you!  

A very good long detailed write-up.  And much appreciated.     :worthy:

You don’t post often enough, wish you’d post much more.   Your voice is needed here.       :thmup:     :lombardi:

12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thanks, Tom!   Good to hear from you!  

A very good long detailed write-up.  And much appreciated.     :worthy:

You don’t post often enough, wish you’d post much more.   Your voice is needed here.       :thmup:     :lombardi:

thanks brother!

yea during the season can be hectic as hell. with a 5 and 1 year old and crazy work schedules and all. 

i tend to find time in the off-season when everyone's spirits are high and everyone has that excited energy of what "can be". 

i am definitely excited to see how this off-season goes and have to admit my level of optimism is greater than it usually is so far. 

Happy to be back and contributing when and where i can. definitely miss the colts message board family. 

Archived