Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A petition going around...

bluephantom87

21 minutes ago, DougDew said:

One is an opinion.  The other is a form of executing control.  

A Poll would be the avenue to express an opinion.   I think of a petition as way to effect change.  Its a little bit bold or over the top for fans to do that, JMO, but maybe some signed it as a way of just voicing their opinion.   Its just the way I think about petitions.  

I think you're right about a petition being an attempt to affect change, in this case perhaps more an attempt to have input rather than to affect change. But calling it a form of executing control is an exaggeration, to me. The people starting an online petition have no hope of control. To me, there isn't anything wrong with attempting to have input. Obviously, it's questionable how much input such a petition will achieve. 

I would add too that taxpayers are contributing $620 million to the construction of Lucas Oil Stadium. I'm not against that, but I think it strengthens the case a bit for the average Joe voicing his opinion, for whatever it's worth, on a major decision impacting the franchise. https://www.forbes.com/sites/taxanalysts/2013/12/03/the-nfls-tax-favors-1b-and-counting/?sh=22e199487b90

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, BeanDiasucci said:

I think you're right about a petition being an attempt to affect change, in this case perhaps more an attempt to have input rather than to affect change. But calling it a form of executing control is an exaggeration, to me. The people starting an online petition have no hope of control. To me, there isn't anything wrong with attempting to have input. Obviously, it's questionable how much input such a petition will achieve. 

Agreed you would have ti have hundreds of thousands or perhaps millions sign it fir it to make a difference

16 minutes ago, CR91 said:

The petition is extreme, but Colt fans have to try to get the message across to Irsay that Jeff just isn't qualified to be a HC yet. He needs more to time develop as a coach

What makes you think any of these other candidates are qualified to be a head coach? The only one that's still in the running that has head coach experience was horrible at that job

18 minutes ago, coltsblue1844 said:

What makes you think any of these other candidates are qualified to be a head coach? The only one that's still in the running that has head coach experience was horrible at that job

Did I say they need HC experience? There are coaches in this league that have worked their butt off for decades to just get an opportunity to be a HC. Jeff hasn't paid his dues nor has he coached even remotely long enough to be a professional HC. Coaching is not just about motivating men and being a leader. You need to know how to scheme, clock manage, game flow, put players in position to succeed, and that takes time and experience.

17 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

I would add too that taxpayers are contributing $620 million to the construction of Lucas Oil Stadium. I'm not against that, but I think it strengthens the case a bit for the average Joe voicing his opinion, for whatever it's worth, on a major decision impacting the franchise. https://www.forbes.com/sites/taxanalysts/2013/12/03/the-nfls-tax-favors-1b-and-counting/?sh=22e199487b90

It just seems to me that the person organizing the petition is not interested in knowing how many fans actually want Saturday....like a Poll would measure.   He just wants to tell Irsay how many fans don't want Saturday, as a means to not have Saturday hired. 

I don't know who the organizer is, but I wonder why he thinks he knows so much about NFL HCs.  Or if that's really the issue that he's concerned about.

This is one of the things I feared when Jeff stepped into the interim role. I had a feeling that if the team continued to collapse that many would turn on him, which sucks because he is such an awesome person and had been a beloved member of the team but also just as a Hoosier in general. Quite a few of us locals have personally met him over the years, at various events and gatherings around the state. This guys doesn't just love the Colts. He loves Indiana. 

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

This is one of the things I feared when Jeff stepped into the interim role. I had a feeling that if the team continued to collapse that many would turn on him, which sucks because he is such an awesome person and had been a beloved member of the team but also just as a Hoosier in general. Quite a few of us locals have personally met him over the years, at various events and gatherings around the state. This guys doesn't just love the Colts. He loves Indiana. 

I don't know about others, but I am not the SLIGHTEST bit against Jeff. I think he seems like a great person and I don't blame him for seeking the job. It is not personal, but I don't want him, I mean not at all, or any other former player without successful coaching experience as the Colts new head coach. I don't want Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck, Edgerrin James, Adam Vinateri, Reggie Wayne, or Marshall Faulk. I love this group of players, just don't want any of them as the next head coach.  

7 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Because some still refuse to turn on Ballard.  And some touted Frank as the problem.  The collapse defies their opinions, so now its Jeff's fault.

1 hour ago, tomloge1 said:

He should now hire Saturday out of spite.  This petition thing is so stupid.  This team is going to suck for years no matter who the coach is.  Going to be a long, slow, painful rebuild.  They never listen to these petition things anyway.  

You don't cut your nose to spite your face. It has to be a well thought out decision. If it is, with a good long term vision, then I am on board with it.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Because some still refuse to turn on Ballard.  And some touted Frank as the problem.  The collapse defies their opinions, so now its Jeff's fault.

Can it be possible to still like Ballard but find he has a lot to learn? That's where I'm at. I don't hate him just like I didn't hate Reich. But I for sure think he can do a lot better at his job. 

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

2-3 years with a rookie QB and a new hire based on the search led by Ballard. If we don't make the playoffs by year 2 with a rookie QB, Ballard is gone, IMO.

28 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

But the offense is a different story. An offensive-minded HC should move the needle (back) much easier. Plus, the Colts are going to be investing a top pick and then developing a QB. A coach having a track record doing that successfully should be a requisite.

Agree with this point. But Ballard has been very explicit that doesn't care about the offensive or defensive orientation the next HC. I'm sure there's a case to be made for why that doesn't matter, but I'm having a hard time understanding how you straight-up don't care when you're (presumably) taking your next franchise quarterback in the draft, and you're fresh off a season in which you were the 27th ranked offense in the league. If there's one thing that needs fixed, it's the offense. 

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

2-3 years with a rookie QB and a new hire based on the search led by Ballard. If we don't make the playoffs by year 2 with a rookie QB, Ballard is gone, IMO.

We ain't making the playoffs in year 2 with a rookie QB.   If we did, it would be a stroke of luck with how bad the other AFC teams must have fallen off.

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

We ain't making the playoffs in year 2 with a rookie QB.   It would be a stroke of luck with how bad the other AFC teams must have fallen off.

If you have seen around the league, there is mediocrity out the wazoo. 8-9 teams getting the #4 seeding in both conferences and a 9-8 team getting the #7 seeding in both. With the right FA moves and draft picks, no reason to think we can't make the playoffs by year 2. I feel pretty confident typing that.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Good Lord.  How can 10,000 fans feel so strongly about what they know and don't know about the HC position as to put their name on a petition.   

Everybody must have an opinion.

It must be made public.

Everyone else is wrong.

6 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Can it be possible to still like Ballard but find he has a lot to learn? That's where I'm at. I don't hate him just like I didn't hate Reich. But I for sure think he can do a lot better at his job. 

Sure. 

I was looking at it why so many hate Jeff at this point.  What was his performance supposed to look like given the situation?  Would Demeco Ryans have done a better job last season, and how would he be looked at if he was in Jeff's place now?

I don't think Jeff is the most qualified candidate.  But I also see Irsay's frustration with just recirculating the same ol' names or going through the same ol' coaching tree/branch method.  When things don't work, I don't mind out of the box thinking.

I plan on sitting back and enjoying the show.  I'm not going to advocate...or hate on...any HC choice.

28 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Did I say they need HC experience? There are coaches in this league that have worked their butt off for decades to just get an opportunity to be a HC. Jeff hasn't paid his dues nor has he coached even remotely long enough to be a professional HC. Coaching is not just about motivating men and being a leader. You need to know how to scheme, clock manage, game flow, put players in position to succeed, and that takes time and experience.

and you can hire people who know how to do all of that...which is what most previous OC or DC head coaches do...  And just because the other coaches in this league have worked their butt's off to get an opportunity to be a head coach, does NOT mean that any of them would be successful ...which is why there are MULTIPLE coaches fired every single season/off season.  In fact, MOST are not successful.

Just now, coltsblue1844 said:

and you can hire people who know how to do all of that...which is what most previous OC or DC head coaches do...  And just because the other coaches in this league have worked their butt's off to get an opportunity to be a head coach, does NOT mean that any of them would be successful ...which is why there are MULTIPLE coaches fired every single season/off season.  In fact, MOST are not successful.

Most fail for a number of reasons, but none of them were as unqualified as Jeff and you don't leave everything for your coordinators to do. That's how you fail.

People will disagree with me on this, but I think it's amazing that people have this platform to express themselves like this. Obviously, the fans are still going to show up enough where it won't make a difference and we have no control over who gets hired as we don't make the decisions, but at least the the media (both local and national) is calling out this garbage for what it is, and making every Colts fan that wasn't aware of the situation, aware of the situation, so they can make an informed decision on whether to watch or go to games. 

So happy this is transpiring the way it is. Fans shouldn't have to suffer because of Irsay's politics and friendships, and because they are loyal to an organization. that isn't making the best effort to win games and championships.

9 minutes ago, chad72 said:

If you have seen around the league, there is mediocrity out the wazoo. 8-9 teams getting the #4 seeding in both conferences and a 9-8 team getting the #7 seeding in both. With the right FA moves and draft picks, no reason to think we can't make the playoffs by year 2. I feel pretty confident typing that.

Yeah, I was thinking Gilmore, Buckner, and Yannick....3 of our best players....will be gone in two years.  That's another three players needing to find by year 2.

Especially tough to do if Ballard uses draft picks to trade up for that rookie QB.

Yeah, Homie is busting on some fans for wanting Zach Wilson, but seems to forget one of those "smart" GMs actually drafted the guy with a first round pick.    Ballard can be just as "smart" as that GM. 

So by logic, the fans who didn't want Zach Wilson must be smarter than the GM.   Therefore, yes, some fans are smarter than some GMs.

Interested Thinking GIF by reactionseditor

1 hour ago, coltsblue1844 said:

I personally think this petition is ridiculous and those who sign it should be ashamed of themselves.

Why, Saturday has no business as head coach of an NFL team.  I am not going to invest money and time into a team the won't take things seriously.  Let Saturday start with the basics and work his way up.

Just now, CanuckColtsFan said:

Why, Saturday has no business as head coach of an NFL team.  I am not going to invest money and time into a team the won't take things seriously.  Let Saturday start with the basics and work his way up.

well if or when he is hired, I hope you're able to enjoy watching your new team.

Most of us older fans have watched some really really tough seasons, yet we still watch and are fans of the team.

Perhaps Ballard, not wanting Jeff, is the one responsible for a lot of the negative stuff "leaking out"...whether it be true or not

Yeah, Homie is busting on some fans for wanting Zach Wilson, but seems to forget one of those "smart" GMs actually drafted the guy with a first round pick.    Ballard can be just as "smart" as that GM. 

So by logic, the fans who didn't want Zach Wilson must be smarter than the GM.   Therefore, yes, some fans are smarter than some GMs.

So why don't people give Irsay and Ballard credit for not taking at least 10 busts at QB since 2019 - When Luck left. Some just want to dwell on their short comings and cry over not taking an overrated Justin Herbert who we would have had to traded way up to get and even then many wanted Tua The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

So why don't people give Irsay and Ballard credit for not taking at least 10 busts at QB since 2019 - When Luck left. Some just want to dwell on their short comings and cry over not taking an overrated Justin Herbert who we would have had to traded way up to get and even then many wanted Tua The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)

To follow this up,Family Feud Lol GIF by Steve Harvey there was at least 20 people in here that wanted Jordan Love 

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What was your comment lmao 

I love this team, but Jeff Saturday, when he took over midseason, was the most inexperienced HC in NFL History. His 8 games showed that when he was absolutely horrible when he went 1-7 and made the Colts a laughingstock with how bad his game performances were.

I don't mind losing those games to get to the no4 pick and draft a franchise QB if that was the intention, but to actually consider hiring him as the permanent HC is an insult to every loyal Colts fan who cares about winning and spent their time and hard earned money into this team over the years. Literally any realistic candidate has a better chance of succeeding than Saturday.

We deserve a real HC to develop our new QB and give us a chance at winning a SB one day again. Saturday is not the guy.

This is the comment I made on the website. 

One is an opinion.  A petition is a form of executing control.  

A Poll would be the avenue to express an opinion.   I think of a petition as way to effect change.  Its a little bit bold or over the top for fans to do that, JMO, but maybe some signed it as a way of just voicing their opinion.   Its just the way I think about petitions.  

Meh.  It doesn't bother me.  I wouldn't sign it but I don't understand the outrage about it really. 

Petitions are as American as apple pie and enshrined in the Bill of Rights.   Not exactly the same thing here since this is a private business and I would suspect it will be largely ignored.  Online petitions are kinda weak IMO.  But i really haven't studied the effectiveness of online petitions other than cancel culture type stuff.

I think people should express their opinions through ticket sales if they want to effect change.    For Me it's not a boycott.  Just a personal finance decision.  Watching this team in person right now costs too much (both in dollar and personal emotional trauma lol) for me to consume the product.  I hope it gets better than the last month because if not I will have to look away from the TV too.  I can't watch heart surgeries either or train wrecks or decapitations.   

But I will snatch up some cool gear if a nice hooded sweatshirt drops in price.  Just the good ole Champion type shirt with just the shoe on the front. 

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I love this team, but Jeff Saturday, when he took over midseason, was the most inexperienced HC in NFL History. His 8 games showed that when he was absolutely horrible when he went 1-7 and made the Colts a laughingstock with how bad his game performances were.

I don't mind losing those games to get to the no4 pick and draft a franchise QB if that was the intention, but to actually consider hiring him as the permanent HC is an insult to every loyal Colts fan who cares about winning and spent their time and hard earned money into this team over the years. Literally any realistic candidate has a better chance of succeeding than Saturday.

We deserve a real HC to develop our new QB and give us a chance at winning a SB one day again. Saturday is not the guy.

This is the comment I made on the website. 

I would like Kafka from the Giants, he made Jones look legit good and I think with a QB like Young or Stroud we could at least have a chance at making the playoffs in year 1 of that. We lost 3 games by 1 point and blew a 33 point lead in another. We could have easily been 8-8-1 as bad as we played. I thought our defense played well through 12 games but just gave up towards the end out of frustration IMO. 

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would like Kafka from the Giants, he made Jones look legit good and I think with a QB like Young or Stroud we could at least have a chance at making the playoffs in year 1 of that. We lost 3 games by 1 point and blew a 33 point lead in another. We could have easily been 8-8-1 as bad as we played. I thought our defense played well through 12 games but just gave up towards the end out of frustration IMO. 

Kafka is a solid young OC with lots of experience at 35 years of age. He did a lot with very little, and that's always an impressive sign. I would definitely take him as our HC. 

Archived