Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A petition going around...

bluephantom87

As reported by Fox local news this morning that a petition has been started by some fans NOT to hire Jeff Saturday as coach. It has almost 3,000 signatures and growing... First I heard of it has anyone else? Like I said before I think a full time hire of Jeff would get some pushback from the fan base.

The well respected Adam Schefter has already said if the Colts make that hire it would continue its path of embarrassing decisions leading them to laughingstock territory of the league. I just hope Irsay doesn't double down on that non rational decision to give it to Jeff in the first place that ended in disastrous results but hey it's his team.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

As reported by Fox local news this morning that a petition has been started by some fans NOT to hire Jeff Saturday as coach. It has almost 3,000 signatures and growing... First I heard of it has anyone else? Like I said before I think a full time hire of Jeff would get some pushback from the fan base.

The well respected Adam Schefter has already said if the Colts make that hire it would continue its path of embarrassing decisions leading them to laughingstock territory of the league. I just hope Irsay doesn't double down on that non rational decision to give it to Jeff in the first place that ended in disastrous results but hey it's his team.

This is the type of stuff that makes me want Irsay to hire Saturday; didn't really want him at first. 

I think the pushback is way out of proportion. 

I read about the petition.  That’s more embarrassing to me, that fans of the team would disrespect a guy who was a great player for us, and an exemplary human being.  

I’ve said it before, a HC has to be respected by his players first and foremost.  His OC/DC/ST coaches should be doing their jobs well.  The HC guides them and accesses their work.  if they’re not performing, he needs to be as hard on them as he would any player, and replace them if necessary.  

That should be his main job.  

Do we really care what Schefter or any of the talking heads say?  I don’t.  

Irsay put Saturday in this no-win situation, to be honest, no two ways about it. I feel badly for Saturday but it will soon all be over, one way or the other, that is probably the only silver lining in this.

However, it is not necessary for fans to take it out on Saturday in this manner in social media in this outlandish manner, very unbecoming of "true" Colts fans, IMO. Those fans are sorely mistaken if this petition is going to influence Ballard and/or Irsay, so a bit pointless too, IMO.

7 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I read about the petition.  That’s more embarrassing to me, that fans of the team would disrespect a guy who was a great player for us, and an exemplary human being.  

I’ve said it before, a HC has to be respected by his players first and foremost.  His OC/DC/ST coaches should be doing their jobs well.  The HC guides them and accesses their work.  if they’re not performing, he needs to be as hard on them as he would any player, and replace them if necessary.  

Instead, they want other candidates such a as Demeco Ryans: former player of a divisional rival who 

has coached the defense of the 49ers which was already good before he arrived. That's proof that he will be a great coach! If he comes here, our defense will pretty much evolve in to the 49ers defense. 

Seriously, though, how exactly do you measure the efficacy of a head coach? How much experience is one supposed to have? Is record a direct reflection of a coaches skill? Do fans even know enough about coaches to even make an informed judgement? 

Honestly, none of the candidates being interviewed has me all that hyped. 

I ideally want an offensive minded head coach like Callahan, but how much of the Bengals success is he responsible for? And if he is indeed a good coordinator, can he be a good head coach? 

4 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

Instead, they want other candidates such a as Demeco Ryans: former player of a divisional rival who 

has coached the defense of the 49ers which was already good before he arrived. That's proof that he will be a great coach! If he comes here, our defense will pretty much evolve in to the 49ers defense. 

Seriously, though, how exactly do you measure the efficacy of a head coach? How much experience is one supposed to have? Is record a direct reflection of a coaches skill? Do fans even know enough about coaches to even make an informed judgement? 

I ideally want an offensive minded head coach like Callahan, but how much of the Bengals success is he responsible for? And if he is indeed a good coordinator, can he be a good head coach? 

i love when people think a coach will be a good HC because they were a good OC or DC when the team already had a good defense or offense. like yeah they had something to do with that. 

It amazes me how many fans think they know more than Irsay and Ballard. Many of those same fans thought Ryan Leaf, JaMarcus Russell, Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold, Carson Wentz, and Zack Wilson would be franchise QB's and wanted them here. If fans ran the franchise we would be in Hawaii, it would be the Hawaii Colts! and no longer in Indy because we would have sucked for the last 10 years. Look I don't want Saturday back either but these know it all's need to slow their roll. How good has Bill Belichick been without Tom Brady? A Coach needs a QB, look at what Caldwell did with Peyton, he started 14-0 and went to the SB. chuckling homer simpson GIF- I can say Caldwell is a better coach than Belichick when he had a better QB which would be 100% factual. Belichick without Brady = below .500.

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It amazes me how many fans think they know more than Irsay and Ballard. Many of those same fans thought Ryan Leaf, JaMarcus Russell, Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold, Carson Wentz, and Zack Wilson would be franchise QB's and wanted them here. If fans ran the franchise we would be in Hawaii, it would be the Hawaii Colts! and no longer in Indy because we would have sucked for the last 10 years. Look I don't want Saturday back either but these know it all's need to slow their roll. How good has Bill Belichick been without Tom Brady? A Coach needs a QB, look at what Caldwell did with Peyton, he started 14-0 and went to the SB. chuckling homer simpson GIF- I can say Caldwell is a better coach than Belichick when he had a better QB which would be 100% factual. Belichick without Brady = below .500.

Ok Bestie but football people drafted each one of those players with top of the 1st round picks. 

So you think it's the Colts brass that is "smart" and the fans and apparently any FOs that busted on a high 1st round QB are dumb? 

I mean that seems to be the only way to interpret Homie's post here. 

He should now hire Saturday out of spite.  This petition thing is so stupid.  This team is going to suck for years no matter who the coach is.  Going to be a long, slow, painful rebuild.  They never listen to these petition things anyway.  

1 minute ago, Nickster said:

Ok Bestie but football people drafted each one of those players with top of the 1st round picks. 

So you think it's the Colts brass that is "smart" and the fans and apparently any FOs that busted on a high 1st round QB are dumb? 

I am not saying all fans are dumb but they do go overboard at times. I have predicted busts and have been wrong, and said so and so would be good and been wrong. It happens to all of us. I don't want Saturday back but this petition seems a little extreme and IMO makes the franchise look bad. I think Will Levis will be a bust, lets see if I am right or wrong. If we take him and he ends up good, I will be the first person to say I was wrong :thmup:

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

It's a really bad look. But if I had to guess...many of those signing probably aren't old enough to remember the height of the Manning era.

Well respected Schefter?  He’s just a reporter looking for hits, quotes and air time.  No one cares what he thinks.  He’s entitled to his opinion.  Nothing more nothing less.  Good reporter’s report the facts and let people make their own opinions.  He can get away with it on a sports network.  Not on a legitimate news network.  

10 minutes ago, coltsblue1844 said:

I personally think this petition is ridiculous and those who sign it should be ashamed of themselves.

Nah people have the freedom of speech while they all loved saturday the player and like saturday the man they dont want saturday the coach. The 1-7 interm didnt help his case from those fans point of view

8 minutes ago, tomloge1 said:

He should now hire Saturday out of spite.  This petition thing is so stupid.  This team is going to suck for years no matter who the coach is.  Going to be a long, slow, painful rebuild.  They never listen to these petition things anyway.  

I’m starting to feel that way now.  I can’t believe the so called fans hating on Saturday that much to sign a petition.  I don’t want him either but I would never sign a stupid petition that only draws negative attention to the team and city.  Ridiculous.

44 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

Yeah. I don't really get the Ryans hype. I am sure he's a good DC, but Saleh was good there as well. That defense is loaded.

I know part of it is that, after Reich, this fanbase wants accountability and a fiery coach. JMO, but that can wear thin very quickly.

And defense has not been what is holding this team back in recent years. IF Flus and Bradley can both coach a fringe top 10 defense here, I don't really see the gains they would get from a guy like Ryans.

But the offense is a different story. An offensive-minded HC should move the needle (back) much easier. Plus, the Colts are going to be investing a top pick and then developing a QB. A coach having a track record doing that successfully should be a requisite. 

And Callahan fits that bill. Kafka fits the bill. Steichen fits the bill. Just give me the one that has a plan for the Colt being a top 7 offense by 2024...and I am sold.

15 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Yeah, Homie is busting on some fans for wanting Zach Wilson, but seems to forget one of those "smart" GMs actually drafted the guy with a first round pick.    Ballard can be just as "smart" as that GM. 

So by logic, the fans who didn't want Zach Wilson must be smarter than the GM.   Therefore, yes, some fans are smarter than some GMs.

1 hour ago, Tsarquise said:

This is the type of stuff that makes me want Irsay to hire Saturday; didn't really want him at first. 

I think the pushback is way out of proportion. 

What do you have against people stating their position publicly? It is interesting all the media attention this generates. I googled and saw online articles about the petition from the New York Post, CBS Sports, WISH-TV, Sportscasting, Sports Illustrated, ColtsWire, Indy Star, Bleacher Report, Yahoo Sports, The Sporting News, NBC4 Washington, WKRG, Gwinnett Daily Post, Press Enterprise, Ran (German language), and RDS (French) 

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am not saying all fans are dumb but they do go overboard at times. I have predicted busts and have been wrong, and said so and so would be good and been wrong. It happens to all of us. I don't want Saturday back but this petition seems a little extreme and IMO makes the franchise look bad. I think Will Levis will be a bust, lets see if I am right or wrong. If we take him and he ends up good, I will be the first person to say I was wrong :thmup:

gotcha. I don't want Saturday either.  

Some unconventional stuff works occasionally, but it usually doesn't.  Hiring an unsuccessful high school assistant coach seemed strange.  Loved Saturday as a player.  The season seemed to show a team that quit in some respects. There was the narrative that JS was just there to evaluate whatever that meant.  If that was the case he probably wouldn't have applied.  but looking objectively there was NO success with JS at the helm.  We looked worse, much worse IMO at the end of his run this season than we did when FR was fired. 

I understand other football people being upset with his hire.  He didn't pay any dues that all other coaches have had to pay in NFL history to be a HC.  That being said.  If he would have or in the future does pay off, then it will have proved to be some sort of providential move my Irsay.  But I don't know how any fan or poster could fail to recognize that many people would be upset if someone without normal qualifications came in and took a job without going through any of the normal channels.  

Now if JS for instance would have or does should he be hired totally turn the team around then the backlash from fans and/or football people is just the price of doing business and would be forgotten quickly. 

7 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Nah people have the freedom of speech while they all loved saturday the player and like saturday the man they dont want saturday the coach. The 1-7 interm didnt help his case from those fans point of view

Freedom of speech is a great thing...but that doesnt mean that that freedom is always put to use by brilliant minds lol

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Good Lord.  How can 10,000 fans feel so strongly about what they know and don't know about the HC position as to put their name on a petition.   

There's clearly a large portion of this fanbase that takes it queues from the local media and Colts Twitter. And from that blown lead against MIN to his end of season presser, Saturday has become persona non grata in those circles.

It's not like we haven't seen it play out other times. 

I personally don't want Saturday as HC. But the pushback has gone overboard.

1 minute ago, BeanDiasucci said:

What do you have against people stating their position publicly? It is interesting all the media attention this generates. I googled and saw online articles about the petition from the New York Post, CBS Sports, WISH-TV, Sportscasting, Sports Illustrated, ColtsWire, Indy Star, Bleacher Report, Yahoo Sports, The Sporting News, NBC4 Washington, WKRG, Gwinnett Daily Post, Press Enterprise, Ran (German language), and RDS (French) 

What that is telling is all this crap is pushed  and fabricated by the media. 

9 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Well respected Schefter?  He’s just a reporter looking for hits, quotes and air time.  No one cares what he thinks.  He’s entitled to his opinion.  Nothing more nothing less.  Good reporter’s report the facts and let people make their own opinions.  He can get away with it on a sports network.  Not on a legitimate news network.  

I put Schefter at the top of wise, even handed, but the group think to be in the club is to support experienced coaches, with the highest priority to support diversity. Just like 90% of news.

22 minutes ago, coltsblue1844 said:

I personally think this petition is ridiculous and those who sign it should be ashamed of themselves.

Why is it okay to state your opinion about who should or should not be hired on this internet forum, but wrong for people to state their opinion on an internet petition? 

1 minute ago, throwing BBZ said:

I put Schefter at the top of wise, even handed, but the group think to be in the club is to support experienced coaches, with the highest priority to support diversity. Just like 90% of news.

I had Schefter up there before his latest opinion.  Not any more.  He’s dropped quite a bit now imo.

10 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

Why is it okay to state your opinion about who should or should not be hired on this internet forum, but wrong for people to state their opinion on an internet petition? 

One is an opinion.  A petition is a form of executing control.  

A Poll would be the avenue to express an opinion.   I think of a petition as way to effect change.  Its a little bit bold or over the top for fans to do that, JMO, but maybe some signed it as a way of just voicing their opinion.   Its just the way I think about petitions.  

5 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

Why should anyone care in the media outside of Indy who covers the team? Seems to me, other outlets want to kick us and make fun of us while we are down. I heard the other day on sports talk radio, a person called Irsay a clown - I won't name the host. I called that show and asked him what have you ever done football wise, Irsay and the Colts have the 2nd best winning % over the last 20 years and won a SB. I had the man stumbling over his words. 

1 minute ago, BeanDiasucci said:

It's not wrong to sign it. But there are already plenty of forums and platforms for those opinions, so the petition is more of an extreme tool to inflate the issue, garner attention (which it has) and fan the flames (which it is). 

Archived