Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A petition going around...

bluephantom87

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, BeanDiasucci said:

I think you're right about a petition being an attempt to affect change, in this case perhaps more an attempt to have input rather than to affect change. But calling it a form of executing control is an exaggeration, to me. The people starting an online petition have no hope of control. To me, there isn't anything wrong with attempting to have input. Obviously, it's questionable how much input such a petition will achieve. 

I would add too that taxpayers are contributing $620 million to the construction of Lucas Oil Stadium. I'm not against that, but I think it strengthens the case a bit for the average Joe voicing his opinion, for whatever it's worth, on a major decision impacting the franchise. https://www.forbes.com/sites/taxanalysts/2013/12/03/the-nfls-tax-favors-1b-and-counting/?sh=22e199487b90

Absolutely.  I think people forget how important a private team is to the public.  I hadn't thought of the public tax payer money either until you mentioned it.  

I personally find on line petitions kinda funny but I'm old and not up with the times lol. 

I agree that the petition is in poor taste.  That publicly pleading against a candidate paints a blacker picture of the person himself than is warranted.

However -- Irsay brought this on himself.

By bringing in his best friend.  With zero coaching experience.  With two viable options already on staff with HC experience.  And then having the 8 games blow up in their collective faces in historical faction.

I think that if Irsay had simply named John Fox as interim coach, none of this would have happened.  Yes, he would have been in the same position as Saturday.  No OC.  Nobody to call plays but what amounted to an intern.  But I doubt anybody today would have put out a petition begging Irsay not to name Fox as full time HC.  And they certainly haven't put one out there for any of the other candidates that the team has been interviewing.

This petition isn't to stop Saturday from coaching.  It's to stop Irsay from making irrational and erratic moves.

It's still in poor taste.  But it's his own fault.

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Those are my exact 3 in the exact same order. We are in total agreement here. :thmup:

Great minds think a like :thmup:, Kafka has a great offensive mind and he is young. Jones looked good this year without any great WR's. If Taylor comes back healthy and we draft the right QB, we could turn this bull crap around with him.

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would like Kafka from the Giants, he made Jones look legit good and I think with a QB like Young or Stroud we could at least have a chance at making the playoffs in year 1 of that. We lost 3 games by 1 point and blew a 33 point lead in another. We could have easily been 8-8-1 as bad as we played. I thought our defense played well through 12 games but just gave up towards the end out of frustration IMO. 

Wink over Kafka so far.  What does that tell you?  Maybe it’s coming we will see.  I read where Steichen bombed out with his 2nd. Interview in Carolina.  Let’s see if he gets a second here.

Just now, richard pallo said:

Wink over Kafka so far.  What does that tell you?  Maybe it’s coming we will see.  I read where Steichen bombed out with his 2nd. Interview in Carolina.  Let’s see if he gets a second here.

I want an OC because here lately this league has been about offense but we still need that QB. Don't get me wrong, a great defense mind and a great defense would be nice too but we sucked on offense last year.

If this petition reaches 5,000 signatures, I hope they mention it on ESPN and NFL Network so people are aware of the petition around the sports world. That would be the next step to getting Irsay not to hire Saturday if he was embarrassed on the top two NFL sports networks.

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

If this petition reaches 5,000 signatures, I hope they mention it on ESPN and NFL Network so people are aware of the petition around the sports world. That would be the next step to getting Irsay not to hire Saturday if he was embarrassed on the top two NFL sports networks.

If we hire Jeff this place will implode worse than ever seen Explosion Fail GIF

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

The top 2 embarrassing sports networks don't need an excuse to embarrass Irsay. They been trying to do that for years. 

People will complain no matter who Irsay hires for HC.  Irsay won't listen to others and will do whatever he wants. 

The petition going around is crazy. Some don't want Saturday hired, but I also think that certain people sign a petition without really knowing what they're signing. They like to see their name in print. 

If you google "colts petition to not sign Jeff Saturday". You'll get lots of websites that are credible already posting on it.

CBSSports, New York Post, Sports Illustrated, Sportsnaut, NBCBoston, bleacherreport, indystar etc...

This is great news to get people aware of what's going on. 

Hopefully ESPN and NFL.com follow suit. Those are the two big ones.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

One is an opinion.  A petition is a form of executing control.  

A Poll would be the avenue to express an opinion.   I think of a petition as way to effect change.  Its a little bit bold or over the top for fans to do that, JMO, but maybe some signed it as a way of just voicing their opinion.   Its just the way I think about petitions.  

I think the petition is a little over the top but I also think many of these fans are letting their opinions be known OUTSIDE this forum. I assume many of them are season ticket holders as well as the casual paying fan who want the team to excel and thought Jeff was awful in his trial run. I've never seen this but it just lets you know there will be pushback if Jeff is hired fair or unfair.

1. I know of multiple well-respected posters on this forum that have signed this petition.

2. If you think this petition makes our organization look bad and our owner trying to push his friend as our next HC with essentially no experience somehow doesn't, I don't know what to tell you. There are opinions posted here, on Twitter, and elsewhere about how much some Colts fans do not want Saturday hired as HC. This petition is a way to consolidate those individual opinions into one show of opinion from a segment of the fan base.

3. I was strongly against Saturday being hired as Interim HC, mainly due to the absolute disrespect it showed towards the coaches that have worked for years/decades to be passed over due to what appears to be nepotism. I got over it and got behind Saturday as our Interim HC for the rest of the season. He wasn't expected to suddenly turn the season around, but the historically terrible performances, especially late in games was unacceptable.

4. I keep hearing people defend Saturday by citing that the team's performance under him shouldn't be held against him in his HC bid now. I can agree with that to a degree as he was dealt a bad hand. However, we kept hearing accountability, accountability, accountability with him and in the end of season presser, I heard none of that on his end. I heard excuses and deflection. His poor clock management cost us the chance at beating the Steelers, yet he took no responsibility for it. I like Saturday as a player and person, but in no way do I think he deserves to be the HC of this team.

5. I feel like if Saturday didn't serve as our Interim HC and was just another name in the candidate pool, more people would be upset that a guy coming out of the ESPN studio with zero HC experience was a serious contender to become our new HC.

6. I absolutely signed the petition.

1 minute ago, Shive said:

1. I know of multiple well-respected posters on this forum that have signed this petition.

2. If you think this petition makes our organization look bad and our owner trying to push his friend as our next HC with essentially no experience somehow doesn't, I don't know what to tell you. There are opinions posted here, on Twitter, and elsewhere about how much some Colts fans do not want Saturday hired as HC. This petition is a way to consolidate those individual opinions into one show of opinion from a segment of the fan base.

3. I was strongly against Saturday being hired as Interim HC, mainly due to the absolute disrespect it showed towards the coaches that have worked for years/decades to be passed over due to what appears to be nepotism. I got over it and got behind Saturday as our Interim HC for the rest of the season. He wasn't expected to suddenly turn the season around, but the historically terrible performances, especially late in games was unacceptable.

4. I keep hearing people defend Saturday by citing that the team's performance under him shouldn't be held against him in his HC bid now. I can agree with that to a degree as he was dealt a bad hand. However, we kept hearing accountability, accountability, accountability with him and in the end of season presser, I heard none of that on his end. I heard excuses and deflection. His poor clock management cost us the chance at beating the Steelers, yet he took no responsibility for it. I like Saturday as a player and person, but in no way do I think he deserves to be the HC of this team.

5. I feel like if Saturday didn't serve as our Interim HC and was just another name in the candidate pool, more people would be upset that a guy coming out of the ESPN studio with zero HC experience was a serious contender to become our new HC.

Thank you for this post. Hearing this from a moderator and someone who is respected on this forum means a lot! :thmup:

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Bring on the signatures and then hire Saturday.  

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

This is one of the things I feared when Jeff stepped into the interim role. I had a feeling that if the team continued to collapse that many would turn on him, which sucks because he is such an awesome person and had been a beloved member of the team but also just as a Hoosier in general. Quite a few of us locals have personally met him over the years, at various events and gatherings around the state. This guys doesn't just love the Colts. He loves Indiana. 

That's interesting man.  

This is the way I look at it though .   Compare it to our profession.  I've worked for some godawuful incompetent principals and Supers in my time.  Not all.  but man many really really bad ones. 

I personally am open to outside the box thinking on this.  Hiring someone from outside the ed field for instance.  But by the same token I would totally understand the inevitable outrage that many ed people would have if this were to happen.  It would be loud and passionate.

But lets say this did happen and in a couple of years the ship was righted.  People saw change happening in middle of the year when this business person or whatever was hired. and in a year or two people felt, empowered, supported and saw measureable successes in maybe enrollment, discipline referrals, grades and scores (ie. wins and losses).  Most people would forget their outrage.  A few never non ed guys would hold on but most would come around.

Thing about Jeff is he should have known what a feces storm he was stirring up.  If he didn't IMO, that's pretty much on him.  It should have been pretty obvious.  So he must have been willing to take on the heat.  So I am empathetic with what you are saying but if you can't stand the heat you need to stay out of the 100 year precedent kitchen of dues paying NFL HCs. 

I don't know how we could say he was successful.  The team collapsed in wins but even more striking to me it kinda fell apart.  I never saw one thing on the field or off the field with the team that instilled any confidence for me in the dude though.  This hypothetical non ed guy came in and not only did things get worse at the school, things started falling apart.  

IDK.  I do hope we move on though.  

46 minutes ago, Shive said:

Thank you for your honesty and sharing that with us, Shive. 

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

Did you get what you wanted? Hope you feel good about yourself. 

It's not about me at all. You don't like the truth. Some of the media might be a little over the top regarding Irsay at times, but blaming them for embarrassing stories about him is largely shooting the messenger.  

24 minutes ago, Nickster said:

That's interesting man.  

This is the way I look at it though .   Compare it to our profession.  I've worked for some godawuful incompetent principals and Supers in my time.  Not all.  but man many really really bad ones. 

I personally am open to outside the box thinking on this.  Hiring someone from outside the ed field for instance.  But by the same token I would totally understand the inevitable outrage that many ed people would have if this were to happen.  It would be loud and passionate.

But lets say this did happen and in a couple of years the ship was righted.  People saw change happening in middle of the year when this business person or whatever was hired. and in a year or two people felt, empowered, supported and saw measureable successes in maybe enrollment, discipline referrals, grades and scores (ie. wins and losses).  Most people would forget their outrage.  A few never non ed guys would hold on but most would come around.

Thing about Jeff is he should have known what a feces storm he was stirring up.  If he didn't IMO, that's pretty much on him.  It should have been pretty obvious.  So he must have been willing to take on the heat.  So I am empathetic with what you are saying but if you can't stand the heat you need to stay out of the 100 year precedent kitchen of dues paying NFL HCs. 

I don't know how we could say he was successful.  The team collapsed in wins but even more striking to me it kinda fell apart.  I never saw one thing on the field or off the field with the team that instilled any confidence for me in the dude though.  This hypothetical non ed guy came in and not only did things get worse at the school, things started falling apart.  

IDK.  I do hope we move on though.  

Well as a fellow educator I'm sure you're in a similar boat to me, where we're watching people with no qualifications and college education walk into the profession and get paid nearly the same as us starting out. So yeah I can understand the uproar over what's happening. 

And yeah, I kept waiting for the sideline to show some stronger leadership and accountability, and yet we went right back to Ryan, then to Foles and eventually Sam... I knew without a true OC the offense was going to be very bad. But I wasn't expecting for us to go through the entire QB carrousel yet again... 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't know, almost nobody wants Jeff, I don't either. I will still love the team and watch but I may be one of the few Awkward Third Wheel GIF by Tennis TV

Reminds me when that Smile movie had the marketing campaign where they planted people behind home plate during baseball games and they just did the creepy smile the whole time. That was brilliant.

4 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

As reported by Fox local news this morning that a petition has been started by some fans NOT to hire Jeff Saturday as coach. It has almost 3,000 signatures and growing... First I heard of it has anyone else? Like I said before I think a full time hire of Jeff would get some pushback from the fan base.

The well respected Adam Schefter has already said if the Colts make that hire it would continue its path of embarrassing decisions leading them to laughingstock territory of the league. I just hope Irsay doesn't double down on that non rational decision to give it to Jeff in the first place that ended in disastrous results but hey it's his team.

Thats Sad. 

It's sad that a Fan Base has to resort to a petition not to have the owner make such a unpopular and low percentage of success HC hire. 

I was going to say don't buy tickets,merchandise, boycott advertisers products etc..... But its Irsay's team, he inherited it and is the Boss and can do what he wants to. 

If it happens, so be it. It's not like the other candidates will be Harbaugh/Payton type coaches anyway. 

You CAN'T FORCE your favorite team to make good decisions, they should know/want to do that for themselves.. But you can STOP INVESTING your time, money, and emotions on a team that should know better. 

Only about a month away that pitchers & catchers report to training camp! 

4 hours ago, DougDew said:

Yeah, Homie is busting on some fans for wanting Zach Wilson, but seems to forget one of those "smart" GMs actually drafted the guy with a first round pick.    Ballard can be just as "smart" as that GM. 

So by logic, the fans who didn't want Zach Wilson must be smarter than the GM.   Therefore, yes, some fans are smarter than some GMs.

Yep, how smart have the GM's of the Lions, brownies, Cards, Jets, Raiders, Washington, Jags etc... etc...have been over the years and decades??? Lol

4 hours ago, Nickster said:

Ok Bestie but football people drafted each one of those players with top of the 1st round picks. 

So you think it's the Colts brass that is "smart" and the fans and apparently any FOs that busted on a high 1st round QB are dumb? 

I mean that seems to be the only way to interpret Homie's post here. 

you cant question any thing the colts ever do because you are a fan and ballard and irsay have experience .  that is the logic people have their opinions are just the  teams opinions and every move is the right move because you cant question anything as a fan .  why even have a forum then if not to discuss the team ?   

4 hours ago, BeanDiasucci said:

Why is it okay to state your opinion about who should or should not be hired on this internet forum, but wrong for people to state their opinion on an internet petition? 

Because the internet petition is embarrassing to a owner who they will support no matter what. haha

4 hours ago, shasta519 said:

It's a really bad look. But if I had to guess...many of those signing probably aren't old enough to remember the height of the Manning era.

i remember the era and miss it and that is why i dont want jeff coaching .   i love him as a player but that doesnt mean he can be a coach without earning it .  being a player and a coach are way different as a player jeff is studying other peoples play books and worrying about playing .  its different to create your own play book and coach .   if jeff wants to be a coach go do what reggie wayne is doing start at a position coach and work your way up .    why disrespect reggie wayne who is on the staff the whole off season already and not hire him as a coach ?   he was just as good of a player and already knew the playbook .  its not a slight at jeff its a slight at the  hiring practice people put in 30 years of coaching before getting to be a head coach

can anyone who wants jeff to be the head coach give some valid points why he deserves it ?     most people pushing saturday just give excuses why he was put in a position to fail which i agree with .   being put in a bad situation this year is still not a valid reason to hire him full time .    if its just because he was a good player then why not push for reggie wayne to be hired or another ex colt player ?    i just haven't seen a valid reason why he should be hired its all excuses why he failed .

2 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

I think the petition is a little over the top but I also think many of these fans are letting their opinions be known OUTSIDE this forum. I assume many of them are season ticket holders as well as the casual paying fan who want the team to excel and thought Jeff was awful in his trial run. I've never seen this but it just lets you know there will be pushback if Jeff is hired fair or unfair.

people down play the power fans hold but the truth is everything is about the fans .  without fans no million dollar contracts no profit and no league .  look at the wnba when they get no viewers or ticket sales they loose money every year and players make 80,000 a year .  

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't want him back either so I agree. I just think the whole thing is getting overblown and makes us look bad.

I have to Disagree buddy.

Its not the petition that makes the colts look bad, its the way they've been handling things, a lot from last year and the owners meddling starting with having a vendetta towards Wentz and all the stuff that had transpired since then. 

Nobody needs to make the colts look bad, they do a pretty good job of that themselves. 

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

If you google "colts petition to not sign Jeff Saturday". You'll get lots of websites that are credible already posting on it.

CBSSports, New York Post, Sports Illustrated, Sportsnaut, NBCBoston, bleacherreport, indystar etc...

This is great news to get people aware of what's going on. 

Hopefully ESPN and NFL.com follow suit. Those are the two big ones.

And there you have it.   This "organizer" will now draw signatures from all over the country.  Many have no interest in the Colts, but will sign because of the power trip they get when joining a social mob/collective that will try to tell a billionaire what he can and cannot do.   

If this petition gains traction on the national level, more professional activists will take control of it and will twist it into some issue that they champion, and will use the Colts coaching search as a mouthpiece for their cause.  Just my prediction.

3 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

People will disagree with me on this, but I think it's amazing that people have this platform to express themselves like this. Obviously, the fans are still going to show up enough where it won't make a difference and we have no control over who gets hired as we don't make the decisions, but at least the the media (both local and national) is calling out this garbage for what it is, and making every Colts fan that wasn't aware of the situation, aware of the situation, so they can make an informed decision on whether to watch or go to games. 

So happy this is transpiring the way it is. Fans shouldn't have to suffer because of Irsay's politics and friendships, and because they are loyal to an organization. that isn't making the best effort to win games and championships.

Props to you. 

Once again you nailed it.

3 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I love this team, but Jeff Saturday, when he took over midseason, was the most inexperienced HC in NFL History. His 8 games showed that when he was absolutely horrible when he went 1-7 and made the Colts a laughingstock with how bad his game performances were.

I don't mind losing those games to get to the no4 pick and draft a franchise QB if that was the intention, but to actually consider hiring him as the permanent HC is an insult to every loyal Colts fan who cares about winning and spent their time and hard earned money into this team over the years. Literally any realistic candidate has a better chance of succeeding than Saturday.

We deserve a real HC to develop our new QB and give us a chance at winning a SB one day again. Saturday is not the guy.

This is the comment I made on the website. 

I'm telling you, your going to wear your hammer out if you keep nailing it like that. Lol

Good job.

Archived